Who will be Pakistan’s next Army Chief and Joint Chief of the military

Status
Not open for further replies.
the deal is off the table.

Then Vigo it is

BDFDC07F-9AE0-4E43-931B-694905942A0F.jpeg

Who will be Pakistan’s next Army Chief and Joint Chief of the military​

January 27, 2022

General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Pakistan’s Army head, and Joint Chief General Nadeem Raza is set to retire in November. Imran Khan’s PTI-led government will have to choose the next Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC). While the Pandits have begun discussing the future of the country’s most powerful seat after Prime Minister Khan stated that he has not yet decided on any extension for General Bajwa.
The possible looking at the existing Corp Commanders can help us see some of the seniors and prospective contenders for the positions of COAS and CJCSC.

View attachment 811496

Lt Gen. Sehr Shamshad Mirza

After the Army Chief and Joint Chiefs of Staff, he is the most senior lieutenant General. He is an officer of the Pakistan Army’s Sindh Regiment. So far, General Mirza has had a distinguished career. Lt. Gen. Sahir Shamshad Mirza is now serving as the X Corps’ Commander in Rawalpindi.

Shmshad.jpg

He was previously the Chief of General Staff at the Pakistan Army’s General Headquarters. Prior to his CGS assignment, he served as Adjutant General. Vice Chief of General Staff (A), Director General Military Operations, and General Officer Commanding at Dera Ismail Khan were among his previous positions. He led the 40th Infantry Division throughout his time at Military Operations.

Lt. Gen Azhar Abbas

General Abbas is the army’s 35th Chief of General Staff. After the army chief, the CGS is regarded as the most powerful position inside the army. The Directorates of Military Operations and Military Intelligence are responsible for operational and intelligence affairs at General Headquarters under the command of the CGS.

Azhar.jpg

Abbas was commissioned into the Baloch Regiment’s 41st Battalion. He formerly held the positions of Commandant School of Infantry and Tactics in Quetta, Division Commander in Murre, Brigade Commander in the Operations Directorate, and Personal Secretary to General Raheel Sharif, the former Chief of Army Staff. Interestingly, five CGS have been named CJCSC thus far.

Lt. Gen Nouman Mahmood Raja

He is President of the National Defence University in Islamabad. He was previously the Corp Commander of Peshawar. In On 1987, General Raja was commissioned into an Infantry Battalion. He attended the Command and Staff College in Quetta, Egypt, as well as the Command and Staff College in Cairo and the National Defence University in Islamabad.

Noman.jpg

Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade, Commanding Officer of an Infantry Regiment, Brigade Commander of two Infantry Brigades, Chief of Staff of a Corps, General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division, Director General (Analysis), Directorate General ISI, Inspector General Communication & Information Technology Branch General Headquarters Rawalpindi, and Corps Commander of a Corps are among his various Command, Staff, and Instructional assignments.

Lt. Gen Faiz Hameed

At the moment, he is the Commander of the XI Corps in Peshawar. He served as the 24th Director-General of the Intelligence Agency ISI. He was commissioned in the Baloch Regiment. Previously, Faiz served as Adjutant General in Rawalpindi’s General Headquarters (GHQ). Also, in his military career, he was the chief of the ISI’s counter-intelligence wing.

Pakistan's next Army Chief's next Army Chief

He was also the Chief of Staff to then-Corps Commander Rawalpindi, General Bajwa, who is currently the COAS. Only three XI Corp Commanders have ever been promoted to four-star general rank: General Sawar Khan, General Mirza Aslam Baig, and General Ahsan-ul-Haq. Gen. Faiz as DG ISI remained in limelight.

He also visited Kabul soon after the Afghan Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan. Many circles are talking about the positioning of Gen. Faiz as possible next COAS. However, only the exact time will decide the future command of the Pakistan Army.

Lt. Gen Muhammad Amir

He is currently serving as Corp Commander of the Gujranwala Corps. Before this, he served as Advocate General. As a Major General, Amir served as GOC 10 Infantry Division, Lahore.

He also served as DG Staff at COAS Secretariat.

Lt. Gen Muhammad Chiragh Haider

He is currently serving as Corps Commander Multan, Prior to being Corp Commander Multan, Haider was serving as DG Joint Staff Headquarters.

Pakistan-Charagh.jpg

Previously, he also undertook responsibilities as DG Military training and GOC Infantry Division Jhelum.

Lt. Gen Nadeem Anjum
He is serving as the Director-General of Inter-Services Intelligence (DG ISI). He was commissioned in the 28th Punjab Regiment of infantry.

He has also served as Inspector-General of the Frontier Corps, Brigadier Commander Waziristan, and Kurram Agency. Anjum also served as Corp Commander of V Corps at Karachi.

The Army contenders for the future COAS are promoted by name through the outgoing Chief of Army Staff, from whom the Prime Minister selects the new COAS and CJCSC, according to protocol. Now it’s up to Prime Minister Imran Khan to decide whether to stick to the seniority list or choose any senior official from the list who meets his criteria.
By principle the most senior Lt Gen shamshaad should be. But since it's political in Pakistan even the junior most get selected. Exactly how ACM mushaff mir was selected or pervez musharaff was selected.

Although only God knows the true intentions of a man and that how circumstances in future can change him, I would consider commanders who showed their mettle in combat leading troops to victory. There are a few who have not been promoted after proving their mettle (Brigadier Nisar, Lt Gen Tariq etc) while others were shaheed in combat (Maj Gen Iftikhar Janjua etc).

Brig Nisar - 25 Cav in 65 war and Changez force in 71 war
Lt Gen Tariq - FC in WOT
Maj Gen Iftikhar - 23 Div in 1971 war
The list is a very long one unfortunately;
Apart from the ones mentioned,
- Maj Gen Abrar - GOC 6th Armoured div, Chawinda.
- Brigadier AQ Sher- bde cmdr 22(I) bde, who led the bold counter attacks across the BRB.
- Brig Amjad Ali chaudhry - Commander IV Corps arty
- Brigadier Ameer Hamza(HJ, SJ), bde cmdr 105 inf bde- battle of Sulemanke.
The list is a long one.. and we have reached WoT.

Problem is msassive and have become uncontrollable because army has become a super state and army chief has become above parliament, and judiciary.
Who really appoints the army chief, I want to know?

International powers have stakes in Pakistan, especially US which intervenes thru army chief. Army chief develops self interests and promotes cronies too, if not all then some cronies.
As an interim step, armed forces chief should come from any two other sister organizations.
Your "has" might have been "had" for a better perspective. Army chief became above everything else more than 60 years ago. This notion was opposed by many and used by many including politicians and public especially when it benefited them. Parliament, Judiciary, law, public - aren't corrupt at all. But due to a miracle by God, Army somehow has become uncontrollable between all these institutions run by saints of Pakistan. Ohh yes, Army has guns and others dont, thats it ! Now COAS sits above them coz he controls the men with guns and tanks.

Now thanks to media, whats been happening since 60 years (although its wrong) has been thrown in such a limelight that somehow people think all hell is going to break loose and somehow POTUS, west, jews, India, and other enemies of Pakistan are now in the driving seat to control Pakistan since COAS and Army itself has been sold off to them, where as IK was one hope of Pakistan and unless he comes to power all is doomed. USA has stakes, China has stakes, Russia has stakes, UK has stakes, Iran has stakes, KSA has stakes, maybe India itself has stakes too and how can we leave behind Afghanistan - peechay koi reh to nai gaya, nahi I think I mentioned the ones we hear in media.

There have been many accusations by IK on Army since IK got kicked out, i dont know of many as I didnt follow the topi drama as much, owing to the fact that this is pretty normal in Pakistan's politics. Sab rool mil k khatay hain, kuch kam, kuch ziayada. However, i did look at those threads where I felt a kind of 5th generation warfare exists against Pakistan and Pakistan Army. One of which mentioned that reliable sources say that Army will fire bullets on crowds. Then another that Pakistan will give airbases to USA for drone strikes in Afghanistan. and few more. So far none of this has happened. Fingers crossed for your sake.

Now the greed factor. A few plots, vast areas of land, houses isnt enough for COAS, he must have more as he has to take everything with himself into the grave. I doubt this is greed. Greed is usually of power, history of Pakistan shows it. Ayub, Zia, Musharraf, Bhutto, etc have shown it. If COAS (Bajwa) extends his tenure in order to take the country towards martial law, that would definitely come under greed. Then posting threads that COAS visited such and such country without notice, and that Military officers shouldn't go abroad for courses or that Ministry of Defence falls under Army instead of above it etc. In fact, PTI was winning in Punjab, must be a phone call from COAS and the Establishment so PMLN wins. Bas, it has to be the chief. I hope not, but then who else is so powerful in Pakistan. We must point towards the COAS using ISI for his nefarious purposes.

Who gave power to the Army and the COAS in the first place ? Public including political parties. Everyone wants to make an example of COAS seat through Bajwa, by all means go ahead and do it. There are 220+ million public versus a little above half million Army. Public has more guns in households than Army. I don't think mutiny would occur but the public can get on the roads, create unrest, destroy infrastructure, burn vehicles, fire guns at army - wouldn't India just love if Pakistan becomes frail like Srilanka and disintegrates. Lovely yeah ! Allah has blessed more power in Pakistanis hands and loins than brains. Well thats not true coz GOD isnt biased but we take what suits us.

You want COAS from Navy next time ? Chalo lets do that and see how the 75 years of system changes in Pakistan. Thats your solution to the problem, I think the rest of 220 million will have millions others, we can try one by one.

The list is a very long one unfortunately;
Apart from the ones mentioned,
- Maj Gen Abrar - GOC 6th Armoured div, Chawinda.
- Brigadier AQ Sher- bde cmdr 22(I) bde, who led the bold counter attacks across the BRB.
- Brig Amjad Ali chaudhry - Commander IV Corps arty
- Brigadier Ameer Hamza(HJ, SJ), bde cmdr 105 inf bde- battle of Sulemanke.
The list is a long one.. and we have reached WoT.
I wanted to make a point, not make an excel sheet :laugh:

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.

Faiz or Anjum would be the "best" choices but what does it even matter they are all part of the same rotten "establishment" that keeps this rotten and corrupt system alive and intact (so far). We need a reformer from within but the establishment will never allow serious reforms as that would endanger their own control of Pakistan.

Your "has" might have been "had" for a better perspective. Army chief became above everything else more than 60 years ago. This notion was opposed by many and used by many including politicians and public especially when it benefited them. Parliament, Judiciary, law, public - aren't corrupt at all. But due to a miracle by God, Army somehow has become uncontrollable between all these institutions run by saints of Pakistan. Ohh yes, Army has guns and others dont, thats it ! Now COAS sits above them coz he controls the men with guns and tanks.

Now thanks to media, whats been happening since 60 years (although its wrong) has been thrown in such a limelight that somehow people think all hell is going to break loose and somehow POTUS, west, jews, India, and other enemies of Pakistan are now in the driving seat to control Pakistan since COAS and Army itself has been sold off to them, where as IK was one hope of Pakistan and unless he comes to power all is doomed. USA has stakes, China has stakes, Russia has stakes, UK has stakes, Iran has stakes, KSA has stakes, maybe India itself has stakes too and how can we leave behind Afghanistan - peechay koi reh to nai gaya, nahi I think I mentioned the ones we hear in media.

There have been many accusations by IK on Army since IK got kicked out, i dont know of many as I didnt follow the topi drama as much, owing to the fact that this is pretty normal in Pakistan's politics. Sab rool mil k khatay hain, kuch kam, kuch ziayada. However, i did look at those threads where I felt a kind of 5th generation warfare exists against Pakistan and Pakistan Army. One of which mentioned that reliable sources say that Army will fire bullets on crowds. Then another that Pakistan will give airbases to USA for drone strikes in Afghanistan. and few more. So far none of this has happened. Fingers crossed for your sake.

Now the greed factor. A few plots, vast areas of land, houses isnt enough for COAS, he must have more as he has to take everything with himself into the grave. I doubt this is greed. Greed is usually of power, history of Pakistan shows it. Ayub, Zia, Musharraf, Bhutto, etc have shown it. If COAS (Bajwa) extends his tenure in order to take the country towards martial law, that would definitely come under greed. Then posting threads that COAS visited such and such country without notice, and that Military officers shouldn't go abroad for courses or that Ministry of Defence falls under Army instead of above it etc. In fact, PTI was winning in Punjab, must be a phone call from COAS and the Establishment so PMLN wins. Bas, it has to be the chief. I hope not, but then who else is so powerful in Pakistan. We must point towards the COAS using ISI for his nefarious purposes.

Who gave power to the Army and the COAS in the first place ? Public including political parties. Everyone wants to make an example of COAS seat through Bajwa, by all means go ahead and do it. There are 220+ million public versus a little above half million Army. Public has more guns in households than Army. I don't think mutiny would occur but the public can get on the roads, create unrest, destroy infrastructure, burn vehicles, fire guns at army - wouldn't India just love if Pakistan becomes frail like Srilanka and disintegrates. Lovely yeah ! Allah has blessed more power in Pakistanis hands and loins than brains. Well thats not true coz GOD isnt biased but we take what suits us.

You want COAS from Navy next time ? Chalo lets do that and see how the 75 years of system changes in Pakistan. Thats your solution to the problem, I think the rest of 220 million will have millions others, we can try one by one.

I wanted to make a point, not make an excel sheet :laugh:
You wrote quiet long, but realty is somewhere in the middle.
Let's bring facts instead of eulogy and rhetoric.
Ayub Marshal Law changed the course of Pakistan and Army forcibly took a footing saying we will run the country and for 10 years country was run on dictats.
Mother of Nation was just a tiny collateral damage during that time of progress, and the seeds of alienation that were sown in East Pakistan ... who cares, but World witnessed greatest event of surrender in numbers in 1971.
35K-40K POW returned but some stupids who stood for Pak and Army still hung from polls, latest was Abdul Qadir Mollah in 2018, before Moti Urrehman Nizami was hanged 2016, YOU and GHQ dont even know these names - we did not even give a rats fart to them۔
منزل انہیں ملی جو شریک سفر بھی نہ تھے

Zia took power when political parties were making their agreemenst.
That guy brought heroine, religious hypocrisy, extremism, and guns to Pakistan, the guns you says ppl have more than PA!
Military Estaishment kicked out BB, NS, can't even remember how any times! For corruption? No, but to control! They were corrupt but but we thought Military is pious, completely ignored their stranglehold on politics - DHA 's and commercial activities of Shehsawaran e Islam is a right! Khums (خمس) from Mal e Ghanimat!!

شہادت ہے مطلوب و مقصودِ مومن
نہ مالِ غنیمت نہ کِشور کشائی

Last, the biggest adventure the not-to-be Field Marshall took was to send IK PTI packing! Why? To control! And who they put on the stage, ones they threw in 2018. The corrupt ones.

"You may fool people for a time; you can fool a part of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all the people all the time.”
Lincoln.

The last adventure has Exposed the PIOUS Establishment for ALL THE TIME; reputation of Army is just a COLLATERAL DAMAGE.

....and I wrote even longer ...
What a to do!

Last edited:
@AZ1 is a fake tweets poster and supported by Youthia Staff/Mods and all youthia then jerk on fake things.

Pervaiz Elahi Punjab k dako ly liye aur establishment ka paalto, jo PTI ki napies change ker ker k thak gya tha.

PTI ab usi adalat ky pass ja rahay jinko galian detay hain aur judges ko "b!tches of riches kehtay hain"

IK/PTI ky saaath double game ho rahi hai.

youthia.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png
Imagine being this shallow

Apparently these two are in London with Genral Qamar Javed Bajwa and meeting Nawaz Shareef with the later being most corrupt General!

Lt Gen. Sehr Shamshad Mirza

After the Army Chief and Joint Chiefs of Staff, he is the most senior lieutenant General. He is an officer of the Pakistan Army’s Sindh Regiment. So far, General Mirza has had a distinguished career. Lt. Gen. Sahir Shamshad Mirza is now serving as the X Corps’ Commander in Rawalpindi.

He was previously the Chief of General Staff at the Pakistan Army’s General Headquarters. Prior to his CGS assignment, he served as Adjutant General. Vice Chief of General Staff (A), Director General Military Operations, and General Officer Commanding at Dera Ismail Khan were among his previous positions. He led the 40th Infantry Division throughout his time at Military Operations.

Lt. Gen Muhammad Amir

He is currently serving as Corp Commander of the Gujranwala Corps. Before this, he served as Advocate General. As a Major General, Amir served as GOC 10 Infantry Division, Lahore.

He also served as DG Staff at COAS Secretariat.

My only question is WHY? Why does someone has to fly to London for a meeting? Can't they have meetings on Zoom?

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.

Faiz or Anjum would be the "best" choices but what does it even matter they are all part of the same rotten "establishment" that keeps this rotten and corrupt system alive and intact (so far). We need a reformer from within but the establishment will never allow serious reforms as that would endanger their own control of Pakistan.
In the great tradition of Muhammad Shah Rangeela

And to fully tie up the legacy, a foreign invader executing the proverbial Coup de grace on this sordid nation of slaves.

Who will be the next army chief?

Baqir Sajjad Syed Published August 16, 2022 Updated about 2 hours ago
ISLAMABAD: It is almost time for the government to make what is likely to be one of the toughest calls of its tenure: who to appoint as the next chief of Pakistan’s Army.
A senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader — a member of the federal cabinet — hinted in background discussions that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif could initiate discussions on the appointment by the end of August, and possibly take a decision by mid-September.
The general perception is that he will consult his allies in the ruling coalition before making a final call. A source in the Pakistan Peoples Party, however, suggested that the party may not want to get involved as it is the prime minister’s prerogative to make the decision.
According to Article 243(3) of the Constitution, the president appoints the services chiefs on the recommendation of the prime minister.

Four of the six top Lt-Gens at the time of Gen Bajwa’s retirement will be from the same batch, while a fifth is senior to almost the entire lot
Schedule V-A of the Rules of Business, which elaborates the cases to be presented to the prime minister for his approval, states that: “[…] the appointment of, and above the rank of, lieutenant-general in the army and equivalent ranks in the other Defence Services will be made by the prime minister in consultation with the president.”
The manner in which this process plays out, however, is less clearly defined in the rule books. Nor have any specific criteria been laid down for consideration for elevation, except for the vague condition that the general chosen to lead the army should have commanded a corps.
The tradition is that General Headquarters (GHQ) sends a list of the four to five senior-most lieutenant-generals, along with their personnel files, to the Ministry of Defence, which then forwards them to the prime minister to pick the officer he finds best suited to the role.
Theoretically, the defence ministry can vet the names before presenting them to the prime minister, but that does not usually happen and the ministry acts merely as a post office.
The credentials of the generals are then deliberated either at Prime Minister’s Office or in the cabinet. The matter comes down to the prime minister’s ‘informal consultation’ with the outgoing army chief, his own perceptions and his discussions with his closest advisors.
Keen observers also talk about an ‘institutional recommendation’, which is given to the prime minister about a particular candidate. However, at least two former defence secretaries have rubbished this claim. They insist that it is only the outgoing army chief, during his ‘informal consultation’ with the prime minister, who provides personal input on who he thinks should succeed him.
Of the ten army chiefs the country has had since 1972, five were appointed by the incumbent’s elder brother, Mian Nawaz Sharif, in separate tenures as prime minister. The elder Sharif was repeatedly criticised for appointing officers he saw as an ‘apna banda’ (his man). Ironically, none of the appointments worked out very well for him.
The experience has reportedly left the Sharifs with the belief that they will never quite get it right. Some PML-N leaders said in background interviews that they have, therefore, more or less decided that instead of succumbing to the temptation of finding an ‘ideal’ candidate, they will make the appointment based on seniority alone.
“Then, no matter how things turn out, we will at least be content that no personal choices were involved,” one party leader said.
However, another group within the party speculates that PM Shehbaz Sharif may simply go along with the current chief’s advice.
Transitioning out
Appointed in 2016, Chief of Armed Staff (COAS) Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa is set to retire in the last week of November. The army chief’s appointment is meant to be for three years, but Gen Bajwa was given an additional three-year term in 2019 after a bit of political drama. Then-prime minister Imran Khan had given him an extension in August, but the Supreme Court later demanded legislation on the re-appointment of the services chiefs.
Parliament complied in January 2020, allowing the prime minister to extend the tenure of services chiefs at his discretion. The legislation had, however, fixed 64 as the age at which a service chief must be retired.
Gen Bajwa, still 61, can therefore be eligible for another term. This technicality had led to speculation that the incumbent may be seeking or interested in another extension. But according to a military source, Gen Bajwa has communicated to those around him that he will retire in November. Inter-Services Public Relations, too, has confirmed that the chief is, indeed, retiring.
The army chief’s is not the only four-star position that will fall vacant in November. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC) Gen Nadeem Raza will also be retiring at the same time. The simultaneous appointment of two four-star generals gives the government a little bit of space to pick a commander for the army without causing too much consternation among the top brass.
Interestingly, four of the six senior lieutenant-generals at the time of Gen Bajwa’s retirement are from the same batch. The seniority of this lot is determined on a technical basis — ie, through the PA number assigned to them from their training days at the PMA — and may or may not be of consequence when the new CJCSC and COAS are chosen. Among the other two, one is senior to almost the entire lot, while the other one is relatively junior.
Lt-Gen Asim Munir
Lt-Gen Asim Munir

Lt-Gen Asim Munir

At the time when the decision to appoint the next CJCSC and COAS is made, Lt-Gen Asim Munir will be the senior-most among the lot. Although he was promoted to the rank of two-star general in September 2018, he took charge two months later. As a result, his four-year tenure as Lt-Gen will end on November 27, around the same time when the incumbent CJCSC and COAS will be doffing their army uniform. Since the recommendations and decisions for the appointment of the two four-star generals are to be made a little earlier, it would be for Gen Bajwa to decide if his name is to be included and for the prime minister to make the final call. He is an outstanding officer, but because of the technicalities involved, he may remain the proverbial dark horse.
Lt- Gen Munir entered the service via the Officers Training School (OTS) programme in Mangla, and was commissioned into the Frontier Force Regiment. He has been a close aide of the incumbent COAS ever since he commanded troops in the Force Command Northern Areas as a brigadier under Gen Bajwa, who was then Commander X Corps. He was later appointed DG Military Intelligence in early 2017, and in October next year was made the ISI chief. However, his stint as the top intelligence officer turned out to be the shortest ever, as he was replaced by Lt-Gen Faiz Hamid within eight months, on the insistence of then-PM Imran Khan. He was posted as Gujranwala Corps commander, a position he held for two years, before being moved to the GHQ as Quartermaster General
Lt-Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza

In the current cohort, Lt-Gen Mirza is senior-most amongst the four candidates belonging to the same batch. He hails from the Sindh Regiment; the same parent unit as the outgoing CJCSC, Gen Nadeem Raza. He has had an impressive career in the army, particularly in senior leadership positions during the past seven years. Lt-Gen Mirza came to prominence as director-general military operations (DGMO) during the last two years of Gen Raheel Sharif’s tenure. In that role, he was part of Gen Sharif’s core team at GHQ, which supervised the military operation against the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and other militants in North Waziristan. Further, he was closely involved in the Quadrilateral Coordination Group (QCG) that brokered intra-Afghan talks involving Pakistan, China, Afghanistan and the United States. Besides, he was also a member of the Sartaj Aziz-led committee on reforms for Gilgit-Baltistan.
After his promotion to the three-star rank, he was appointed chief of general staff, effectively making him the second-most powerful person in the army after the COAS. In that role, he was closely engaged in crucial decision-making related to national security and foreign affairs. He also joined former foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi in strategic talks with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in 2021.
In October 2021, he was posted as Corps Commander Rawalpindi to enable him to acquire operational experience and become eligible to be considered for the top posts.
A military source, while commenting on his profile, said he was the clear frontrunner for either of the two posts of COAS and CJCSC.
Lt-Gen Azhar Abbas
Lt-Gen Azhar Abbas

Lt-Gen Azhar Abbas

Lt-Gen Abbas is most experienced in Indian affairs among the current brass. Currently, he is the chief of general staff (CGS), effectively running the army with direct oversight of both operations and intelligence directorates at GHQ. Prior to that, he commanded the Rawalpindi-based but Kashmir-centric and politically-significant X Corps, which indicates that he enjoys the complete trust of the present army chief. It was during his time as commander X Corps that the Indian and Pakistani armies reached an understanding on respecting the 2003 ceasefire agreement along the LOC, and it was Lt-Gen Abbas’s job to ensure compliance on it.
Previously, Lt-Gen Abbas served as commandant of the Infantry School, Quetta. He was the personal staff officer of the former army chief, Gen Raheel Sharif — a position which gave him a ringside view of the decision-making processes at the highest-level. That stint also enabled him to interact with the PML-N leadership as well as the top leadership of friendly countries. After that, he commanded the 12th Infantry Division based in Murree, from where he was responsible for Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
Lt-Gen Nauman Mehmood
Lt-Gen Nauman Mehmood

Lt-Gen Nauman Mehmood

Belonging to the Baloch Regiment, Lt-Gen Mehmood is currently president of the National Defence University. He also has extensive experience as chief instructor at the Command and Staff College, Quetta. He has commanded an infantry division based in North Waziristan. From there, he was posted as director-general (Analysis) at the ISI, playing a crucial role in foreign policy analysis from a national security perspective. That posting provided him with the opportunity of liaising with foreign intelligence agencies on behalf of the ISI.
On his promotion as a three-star general in 2019, he was appointed inspector-general of Communications & Information Technology, GHQ. In December 2019, he was sent to the Peshawar-based XI Corps. From there, he oversaw security along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border and its fencing at a time when the US withdrew its forces.
In November 2021, he handed over command of the XI Corps to Lt-Gen Faiz Hamid.
Lt-Gen Faiz Hamid
Lt-Gen Faiz Hamid

Lt-Gen Faiz Hamid

Lt-Gen Hamid, too, belongs to the Baloch Regiment and is one of the most widely-discussed contenders among the competitors for the top office. Gen Bajwa and Lt-Gen Hamid have reportedly known each other for long. As brigadier, Lt-Gen Hamid served as chief of staff of the X Corps under Gen Bajwa, who was then commanding the corps.
At the time of Gen Bajwa’s appointment as COAS, Lt-Gen Hamid was a two-star general and was commanding an infantry division in Pano Aqil, Sindh. Soon after his promotion as army chief, Gen Bajwa posted him as director-general (Counter-Intelligence) at ISI, where he was not only responsible for internal security, but also political affairs.
After his promotion to the three-star rank, he was initially appointed adjutant-general at the GHQ in April 2019. But only two months later, in a surprise move, he was appointed DG ISI. In that role, Lt-Gen Hamid was active in supporting the government on issues as diverse as renegotiating contracts with power-sector IPPs, reforming governance, and reviving the economy etc, aside from traditional foreign policy issues and national security challenges.
In the last phase of his stint as head of the ISI, he became focus of a controversy between Imran Khan and the COAS as the latter had decided to post him as commander of the Peshawar Corps and the former was not willing to relieve him. He was ultimately posted out to Peshawar, where he served for less than a year before being moved to the Bahawalpur Corps.
Some political pundits say it might be difficult, if not impossible, for the PML-N leadership to consider him for the post of the next COAS due to the highly-publicised nature of his role as ISI chief during the last government’s tenure.
Lt-Gen Mohammad Amir
Lt-Gen Mohammad Amir

Lt-Gen Mohammad Amir

Lt-Gen Amir belongs to the Artillery Regiment and is, at present, commanding the XXX Corps in Gujranwala. He is considered a close confidant of Gen Bajwa. Previously, he was adjutant-general at the GHQ. As major-general, he commanded the 10 Infantry Division stationed in Lahore from 2017-18. He has also served as director-general Staff Duties at the COAS Secretariat, giving him considerable experience in both GHQ and command positions. Prior to that, he was military secretary to then President Asif Zardari from 2011-13. His career trajectory has brought him into close contact with the political decision-makers of today.
Published in Dawn, August 16th, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom