What's new

Who will be Pakistan’s next Army Chief and Joint Chief of the military

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who will be Pakistan’s next Army Chief and Joint Chief of the military​

January 27, 2022

General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Pakistan’s Army head, and Joint Chief General Nadeem Raza is set to retire in November. Imran Khan’s PTI-led government will have to choose the next Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC). While the Pandits have begun discussing the future of the country’s most powerful seat after Prime Minister Khan stated that he has not yet decided on any extension for General Bajwa.
The possible looking at the existing Corp Commanders can help us see some of the seniors and prospective contenders for the positions of COAS and CJCSC.

View attachment 811496

Lt Gen. Sehr Shamshad Mirza

After the Army Chief and Joint Chiefs of Staff, he is the most senior lieutenant General. He is an officer of the Pakistan Army’s Sindh Regiment. So far, General Mirza has had a distinguished career. Lt. Gen. Sahir Shamshad Mirza is now serving as the X Corps’ Commander in Rawalpindi.

Shmshad.jpg

He was previously the Chief of General Staff at the Pakistan Army’s General Headquarters. Prior to his CGS assignment, he served as Adjutant General. Vice Chief of General Staff (A), Director General Military Operations, and General Officer Commanding at Dera Ismail Khan were among his previous positions. He led the 40th Infantry Division throughout his time at Military Operations.

Lt. Gen Azhar Abbas

General Abbas is the army’s 35th Chief of General Staff. After the army chief, the CGS is regarded as the most powerful position inside the army. The Directorates of Military Operations and Military Intelligence are responsible for operational and intelligence affairs at General Headquarters under the command of the CGS.

Azhar.jpg

Abbas was commissioned into the Baloch Regiment’s 41st Battalion. He formerly held the positions of Commandant School of Infantry and Tactics in Quetta, Division Commander in Murre, Brigade Commander in the Operations Directorate, and Personal Secretary to General Raheel Sharif, the former Chief of Army Staff. Interestingly, five CGS have been named CJCSC thus far.

Lt. Gen Nouman Mahmood Raja

He is President of the National Defence University in Islamabad. He was previously the Corp Commander of Peshawar. In On 1987, General Raja was commissioned into an Infantry Battalion. He attended the Command and Staff College in Quetta, Egypt, as well as the Command and Staff College in Cairo and the National Defence University in Islamabad.

Noman.jpg

Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade, Commanding Officer of an Infantry Regiment, Brigade Commander of two Infantry Brigades, Chief of Staff of a Corps, General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division, Director General (Analysis), Directorate General ISI, Inspector General Communication & Information Technology Branch General Headquarters Rawalpindi, and Corps Commander of a Corps are among his various Command, Staff, and Instructional assignments.

Lt. Gen Faiz Hameed

At the moment, he is the Commander of the XI Corps in Peshawar. He served as the 24th Director-General of the Intelligence Agency ISI. He was commissioned in the Baloch Regiment. Previously, Faiz served as Adjutant General in Rawalpindi’s General Headquarters (GHQ). Also, in his military career, he was the chief of the ISI’s counter-intelligence wing.

Pakistan's next Army Chief's next Army Chief

He was also the Chief of Staff to then-Corps Commander Rawalpindi, General Bajwa, who is currently the COAS. Only three XI Corp Commanders have ever been promoted to four-star general rank: General Sawar Khan, General Mirza Aslam Baig, and General Ahsan-ul-Haq. Gen. Faiz as DG ISI remained in limelight.

He also visited Kabul soon after the Afghan Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan. Many circles are talking about the positioning of Gen. Faiz as possible next COAS. However, only the exact time will decide the future command of the Pakistan Army.

Lt. Gen Muhammad Amir

He is currently serving as Corp Commander of the Gujranwala Corps. Before this, he served as Advocate General. As a Major General, Amir served as GOC 10 Infantry Division, Lahore.

He also served as DG Staff at COAS Secretariat.

Lt. Gen Muhammad Chiragh Haider

He is currently serving as Corps Commander Multan, Prior to being Corp Commander Multan, Haider was serving as DG Joint Staff Headquarters.

Pakistan-Charagh.jpg

Previously, he also undertook responsibilities as DG Military training and GOC Infantry Division Jhelum.

Lt. Gen Nadeem Anjum
He is serving as the Director-General of Inter-Services Intelligence (DG ISI). He was commissioned in the 28th Punjab Regiment of infantry.

He has also served as Inspector-General of the Frontier Corps, Brigadier Commander Waziristan, and Kurram Agency. Anjum also served as Corp Commander of V Corps at Karachi.

The Army contenders for the future COAS are promoted by name through the outgoing Chief of Army Staff, from whom the Prime Minister selects the new COAS and CJCSC, according to protocol. Now it’s up to Prime Minister Imran Khan to decide whether to stick to the seniority list or choose any senior official from the list who meets his criteria.
Either 1 or 5th .. Both on UK trip with Bajwa. Shamshad and Amir . If I am not wrong Gen Amir was MS of Zardari at one point and some analysts claim he is closed to Nawaz Sharif.

He is off to DC to get permission.
Could not imagine Pak army will give birth to another traitor after General Agha Yahya Khan!

Did not attend 14th August in Pakistan. Spend a nber of days in UK the poodle country and now to DC.

I am truly a 3rd grade citizen of a 3rd rate country.

Pain, shame, guilt, anger,
The feelings inside of me.
Hurt, scared, lost, weakened,
I can't let others see.

Bruised, battered, scorned, raped,
Injuries you gave to me,
Hide, cover, smile, pretend,
I just can't let others see.

Afraid, alone, far from home,
Why do this to me?
Love, power, hate, control,
Please let me free.

Last edited:
Urdu speakers and Pukhtuns not making it to upper echelon of the military these days?

Whoever be the army chief will have the undoable challenge to slavage honor of Pakistan Army which IMO is been shattered beyond repair.

Only way to slavage honor shall be to court martial Bajwa and actors of RCO. If they are not punished then engrave in stone outside GHQ gates that army is above all law, all morals, and any constitution.
We shall see the happening of the Messenger's Saying.
"Nations before you led astray because when some powerful committed theft he will be free but if a weak one commit theft he will be given punishment. "

Urdu speakers and Pukhtuns not making it to upper echelon of the military these days?
Pashtuns never discriminated in army. Also not Urdu speaking. Punjab being largest they have majority everywhere.
It is other thing their share in GDP is far lower than what they get and enjoy in this country run on injustice.

Pashtuns never discriminated in army. Also not Urdu speaking. Punjab being largest they have majority everywhere.
It is other thing their share in GDP is far lower than what they get and enjoy in this country run on injustice.
Traditionally, there were quite a few urdu speakers and pukhtun generals coming up the ranks. Not the case anymore. Looks to be exclusively a Punjabi fair these days.

Traditionally, there were quite a few urdu speakers and pukhtun generals coming up the ranks. Not the case anymore. Looks to be exclusively a Punjabi fair these days.
What's with the hatred towards Punjabis and conspiracy theories of certain ethnicities being given favouritism anything in life is achieved through hard work and sacrifice no one gives you anything on a platter just because you are from a certain background especially in the armed forces yeh konsi puddu logic hai Bhai.

Going by your shitty thought process and the fear of some Punjabi taking your wife.. the Indian army's brass from low to high is around 40 per cent made up of Punjabis which is quite impressive relative to their population in society. Are Punjabis all miracle men??? Is it Sorcery??? No, it's called hard work.

Pakistan army has way way way less representation of Punjabis as compared to their population in Pakistan, is it a good thing? IMHO No but we should not get bogged down on tribal lines. Only insecure little men target certain ethnic backgrounds.

What's with the hatred towards Punjabis and conspiracy theories of certain ethnicities being given favouritism anything in life is achieved through hard work and sacrifice no one gives you anything on a platter just because you are from a certain background especially in the armed forces yeh konsi puddu logic hai Bhai.

Going by your shitty thought process and the fear of some Punjabi taking your wife.. the Indian army's brass from low to high is around 40 per cent made up of Punjabis which is quite impressive relative to their population in society. Are Punjabis all miracle men??? Is it Sorcery??? No, it's called hard work.

Pakistan army has way way way less representation of Punjabis as compared to their population in Pakistan, is it a good thing? IMHO No but we should not get bogged down on tribal lines. Only insecure little men target certain ethnic backgrounds.

I could debate you for pages, but I'm not in that league.

We all know how games are played in Pakistan, therefore it would be better to just agree to disagree.

"Hard work" don't make me laugh.

I don't think Asim Munir has any chance - he was DG - ISI at the time of Operation "KHANDAQ" in Afghanistan. Soon after that he was moved to Cor Com. Gujranwala.

I could debate you for pages, but I'm not in that league.

We all know how games are played in Pakistan, therefore it would be better to just agree to disagree.

"Hard work" don't make me laugh.
Tu mera puttar chuti kar.

There is no doubt that when you are facing three superpowers on the ground, IK is just an optic, but the actual game is what is nerve-racking. On the basis of this active proxy war between two superpowers on the ground in Pakistan, the next Army chief will have a lot of burden from his predecessor.

Pak Army doesn't need any.

And/or should be on rotational basis for 1 year.

COAS is a grade-22 officer, subservient to the elected govt, they need to knew it and observe the Sop's and stop throwing out the elected govt on west behest.

@time pass @SaadH
Mostly they are from Potohar region, and going up from Hindko belt like Abbotabad, Hari pur etc then from guranwala, gujrat (rechna doab).. so not from all of Punjab..

It is merit + trend + DNA + legacy.. Sure, once PAF/PA were dominated by Punjabi-Pashtun. The west Punjab was not that prosperous before, in fact in beginning we had overwhelming UP + Bihar bureaucracy.. Anyway, there will be many Pashtuns hitting top ranks, sooner or later.

On topic: Nouman for COAS and Munir for CJCOSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom