What's new

US Wants BD to Deploy Troops in Afghanistan

Also, its plain stupid to think the pakhtun dominated taliban will be welcoming the bengalis with open arms, thats plain wishful thinking. However its worth the try for the USA :)

Pakhtuns dont have anything against Bangladeshis. No Afghan or Pakistani sees Bangladeshis as an enemy.

However, most Pakhtuns dont like indians.

and make the same same mistake Pakistan did to root out the soviets...and we all know what happened to Pakistan ever since...not the best advice I'd say.

And how will taliban reach Bangladesh? From Afghanistan to Pakistan to india to Bangladesh?

thats one hell of a trip :rolleyes:

And how will taliban reach Bangladesh? From Afghanistan to Pakistan to india to Bangladesh?

thats one hell of a trip :rolleyes:

Hi Friends,

Indian friends: I dont understand ,indian friends are passing comments to a descison which is completely an statergic descison of Bangladesh Gov.

BD and PK friends: Sometimes we feel if BD and PK people are so much of love with each other and really they hate India so much why dont both of these countries merge agin like East and West Pakistan...just an outside thought....

Nice thinking!.

But don't you think Taliban will see Muslim nations having troops in Afghanistan as traitors for doing USA's bidding?

Not really. Turkish armed forces already have a strong presence in Afghanistan and it was widely published that Talibans do not usually fire on the convoys that bear Turkish flag. Both Turkey and Bangladesh are officially secular countries and Turkey being more secular in terms of socio-cultural aspect. So, Bangladesh would not be seen as a traitor if it sends troops there. Beside I do not think Bangladesh Army, just like Turkish Army and many NATO countries like Germany, France would divulge much into actual fighting against the Taliban. The attitude of the Americans, Canadians, British against Taliban is much more aggressive than that of others(French, Germans). The main reason why Bangladesh could be forced to send troops there however is because of the US military aids similar to the ones Pakistan Army is getting for ages.

Correction...Bangladesh is no Muslim country,or an Islamic republic.It is a People's Republic where no religion has any kind of priority over the other.

You are technically right but there is still an issue here. Bangladeshis are 90% Muslims and what it means is at least 9 out of 10 people you might end up meeting around you in a given place at a given time in Bangladesh would most likely be firm believers in Islam and its principles. Few of them might not be fully practicing but still a believer they are. Yet we are not officially an Islamic country because of the empathetic nature of our population to make the minority 10% feel secured and a part of the population. This empathy in the majority Muslim population has come from the direct experience of living as a de facto minority between 1947 to 1971. So Bengali Muslims are very tolerant towards non-Muslims Bengalis but that does not mean we are weak in our own religion! Bengalis tend to practice the most non-violent form of true Islam. Before an election, if a candidate promises any reform that goes against Islam, you can be assured that he/she is not getting elected. Bengalis are God fearing people, but not fanatics or extremists.

Last edited:
US asks for Bangladeshi troops in Afghanistan

Monday, September 27, 2010
Staff Correspondent

The USA yesterday requested Bangladesh to send combat troops to Afghanistan to ensure security and stability in the war-ravaged country, reports BBC Bangla Service.

US Special Envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke made the plea before Foreign Minister Dipu Moni at a meeting in New York.

Dipu Moni assured the US envoy of further talks on the issue.

Diplomatic analysts in Dhaka, however, say it is risky to send troops to Afghanistan right now and the decision of sending troops should be made after consulting the United Nations and other Muslim-dominated countries.

A foreign ministry statement in the capital disclosed the US request for troops.

The foreign minister also informed the US envoy that the proposal of sending teachers and doctors to the war-ravaged country has already been made to Bangladesh, the statement added.

Last edited:

Monday, September 27, 2010
Staff Correspondent

Dipu Moni assured the US envoy of further talks on the issue.

Diplomatic analysts in Dhaka, however, say it is risky to send troops to Afghanistan right now and the decision of sending troops should be made after consulting the United Nations and other Muslim-dominated countries.

A foreign ministry statement in the capital disclosed the US request for troops.

The middle paragraph above shows the position of BD govt. It wants to participate in Afghan operation, but it must be under the UN and also in conjunction with other Muslim nations. This is what I have been telling all along in my posts.

Von Hölle;1161651 said:
But they still end up blowing you guys up..this fact itself speaks volumes about your former allies.

It seems you are pretending not to remember Bombay carnage. A case of short memory.

The main reason why Bangladesh could be forced to send troops there however is because of the US military aids similar to the ones Pakistan Army is getting for ages.

That's quite true. It is of no value to Bangladesh to indulge into the mess that is Afghanistan, she will make her hand dirty without achieving any strategic or political victory.

We need troops from NEUTRAL Mulsim countries, not from a country who's gov will do anything india wants it to do!

Neutral country as in who's gov will do anything Pakistan wants her do, right?

I don't understand how this does not concern India or Indians. After all, we do not want another Pakistan or Afghanistan in our neighbourhood.

It is in the best interests of both BD and India to not get involved in Afghanistan at least militarily.

That is why India did not send its army to Afghanistan and I believe neither should Afghanistan, not if they do not want ubiquitous bomb blasts to become a part of their lives.

Although I believe BD/India may send troops to Afghanistan under the banner of the UN and UN only.

In any case, everyone would appreciate all non-military forms of help that BD could provide to Afghanistan such as hospitals, schools, power plants, etc.

I don't understand how this does not concern India or Indians. After all, we do not want another Pakistan or Afghanistan in our neighbourhood.

It is in the best interests of both BD and India to not get involved in Afghanistan at least militarily.

That is why India did not send its army to Afghanistan and I believe neither should Afghanistan, not if they do not want ubiquitous bomb blasts to become a part of their lives.

Although I believe BD/India may send troops to Afghanistan under the banner of the UN and UN only.

In any case, everyone would appreciate all non-military forms of help that BD could provide to Afghanistan such as hospitals, schools, power plants, etc.

Are you out of your mind? Where did you get this idea that Uncle Sam is crying for Indian military presence in Afghanistan? Also, this thread is all about BD military participation in that country. Please stick to the topic.

A little something I found today while reading through some news..

Taliban warns Bangladesh against Afghanistan deployment

WASHINGTON — The Afghan Taliban called Monday on Bangladesh to reject a US request that it send troops to assist coalition forces fighting in Afghanistan, the monitoring service SITE said.

Dhaka's foreign ministry said Sunday it was weighing the request which was made by US envoy Richard Holbrooke during talks in New York with Bangladesh's Foreign Minister Dipu Moni.

SITE said the Afghan Taliban responded by posting messages in Arabic and Pashto on its website and jihadist forums calling on Dhaka to spurn the US request.

"(We) believe that the leader of Bangladesh has enough Islamic knowledge and political wit not to involve his people in the fight against Islam and against the Afghan people by sending a few hundred soldiers to Afghanistan," the message said.

"Assuming that the leader would commit such a historic mistake, the religious Muslim people of Bangladesh will not allow their leaders to assist the eternal enemy of Islam against an Islamic neighboring country."

Muslim-majority Bangladesh is a major contributor to United Nations peacekeeping missions around the world, but has no troops in Afghanistan.

AFP: Taliban warns Bangladesh against Afghanistan deployment

Back
Top Bottom