What's new

US Considers F-35 Aircraft Sale To UAE

If UAE gets the F-35, then so will the Saudis.

Interesting that the UAE has made this aggressive push for the F-35 before the Saudis. I'm actually perplexed a bit about that because I thought for sure it would be the other way around. The Saudis have invested in the US in a much larger capacity than the UAE from weapons to economic and strategic cooperation. So I really thought Saudiya would've been the first and not UAE. But either way, it's an Arab country so it is terrific.

Then I wonder what will happen to the cooperation between Russia and UAE for a new gen fighter that they plan to develop. This one:

More importantly IMO is what the US will do to ensure the UAE protects the F-35 from others. This is where the US becomes very finicky with their weapons. CISMOA treaty and non-transferable technology is almost #1 priority. Which has led to this very recent news.

To Seal F-35 Deal, UAE Must Agree To Protect Sensitive Information

1000wq95.jpg

DUBAI, UAE – Approval of the UAE’s request to buy the F-35 hinges on the Gulf nation’s agreeing to take steps to protect the network-centric fighter’s sensitive technology and vast data bank of critical information, according to the Pentagon’s top weapons buyer.

The F-35 is more supercomputer than bomb truck – it is a flying data hub, designed to vacuum in critical threat information and transmit that data seamlessly throughout the allied force. But that capability presents a new set of challenges: protecting sensitive technology and sovereign information shared between international operators over the aircraft’s vast network.

This issue has already proven tricky for the international F-35 partners and allies currently planning to operate the fighter. Now, news that the U.S. is considering selling the F-35 to Gulf nations could alarm those existing partners – particularly Israel. Tel Aviv is currently the exclusive operator of the Joint Strike Fighter in the Middle East region.

As the UAE seeks a classified briefing on the F-35, the U.S. is working closely with the Emirates to establish a structure to protect this kind of information, Ellen Lord, U.S. undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, told Aviation Week in an interview at the Dubai Airshow.

The U.S. is “continuing to partner with the UAE on being able to release more hardware and software to them, and to some extent that’s predicated on a system to control critical information that somewhat aligns with the U.S.,” Lord said. “It’s not a question of right or wrong, it’s being able to communicate effectively and make sure we understand each other’s positions.”

The U.S. has procedures in place to ensure high-level government officials review critical information before it gets distributed throughout the force, Lord explains. Before the UAE can buy the F-35, the Gulf nation must agree to a similar standard, she said.

“We want that same thoughtful process to be applied in a way that’s somewhat consistent with the U.S. so we can share new technology,” she said.

For now, the Pentagon is focused on continuing to upgrade the UAE’s fleet of Lockheed Martin’s F-16s, Lord said. The Gulf nation’s Block 60 F-16 Desert Falcon fighters have been described as some of the most advanced F-16s operating anywhere in the world, and were the first to be equipped with an active electronically-scanned array radar and conformal fuel tanks.

As the UAE continues to upgrade the F-16s, discussions are ongoing about implementing processes to ensure technology security on those aircraft. This conversation could lead to the UAE potentially securing other capabilities in future, such as the F-35, she said.

“I think we are making a lot of progress on F-16s,” Lord said. “I think there’s more we can do there, and again as we put more frameworks in place to deal with technically sensitive information, that will enable us to do more in terms of sharing.”

Lockheed and the UAE Armed Forces announced a $1.65 billion support upgrade contract for the Gulf nation’s F-16 here Nov. 11. Maj. Gen, Adbullah Al-Hashimi, executive director of the military committee at the Dubai Airshow, said the upgrade would deal with obsolescence issues in the Block 60 aircraft which were ordered by the UAE in 2000. Lockheed officials declined to provide additional details.

Lord stressed the importance of interoperability between allies in an ever more connected battlefield.

“In the multi-domain battle, interoperability is very important for the U.S. with our partners and allies,” Lord said. “We want to make sure that we go to war if we need to go to war, with our partners and allies with interoperable systems, so in order to do that we would like to sell them everything that we possibly can.”

http://aviationweek.com/defense/seal-f-35-deal-uae-must-agree-protect-sensitive-information

However if the UAE-Russia program gets killed because of the F-35, then a pissed off Russia may offer this program to the Iranians. Pretty interesting times ahead.

Pretty interesting times indeed. But I still don't think the Russians will go anywhere near the Iranians. They're dealing with sanctions on their issue with Crimea and if they end up doing something like that with Iran, that might put them deeper in the hole. They need to push this JV project with the UAE as hard as they can and secure it ASAP.

Interesting that the UAE has made this aggressive push for the F-35 before the Saudis. I'm actually perplexed a bit about that because I thought for sure it would be the other way around. The Saudis have invested in the US in a much larger capacity than the UAE from weapons to economic and strategic cooperation. So I really thought Saudiya would've been the first and not UAE. But either way, it's an Arab country so it is terrific...

It is necessary a door to enter... The real customer for Lockheed Martin, it's KSA. The UAE is just the excuse.;)

TAI delivers first center fuselage to Northrop Grumman for F-35 JSF

Quote : “TAI opened a new composites manufacturing facility in Ankara in November 2008”.

So early 2009.

Quote : “Turkish Aerospace Industries Inc. (TAI, Ankara, Turkey) reported on Dec. 11, 2013 that it has delivered its first F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) center fuselage at a ceremony held at its Ankara facilities.”

5 years.

5 Years, your kidding right?

Building on Decades of Partnership

Turkey has partnered with Lockheed Martin for more than 25 years, primarily on the F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft. Turkey continued that partnership when it joined the F-35 Lighting II program during the System Development and Demonstration phase of the Joint Strike Fighter Program.

https://www.f35.com/global/participation/turkey

Unbenannt.jpg

Its 18 years now just for the F-35, its not about baking cake its about building parts and overhauling one of the most advanced fighter planes in the world.

What I have read so far, F-35 is a peacemaker between Israel and Arabs. I agree Israeli consent is a must for any Arab country even Turkey. Unless and until I don't see F-35 painted in Turkish Flag, I do not believe Turkey is going to get it.

Lol... ok US ministry of defence spokesman.

The UAE-Russian venture for a light weight 5th generation fighter will go ahead as planned, since the F-35 is a medium weight 5th g fighter.. there is a difference..I assume you do understand now..

There's nothing light about the UAE-Russia fighter. The Russians call even Super Hornet a light aircraft.

Interesting that the UAE has made this aggressive push for the F-35 before the Saudis. I'm actually perplexed a bit about that because I thought for sure it would be the other way around. The Saudis have invested in the US in a much larger capacity than the UAE from weapons to economic and strategic cooperation. So I really thought Saudiya would've been the first and not UAE. But either way, it's an Arab country so it is terrific.

The UAE is dealing with the Russians for the Su-35 and a new fighter development. And let's not forget their interest in Rafale also. It gives them more leverage than the Saudis.

Pretty interesting times indeed. But I still don't think the Russians will go anywhere near the Iranians. They're dealing with sanctions on their issue with Crimea and if they end up doing something like that with Iran, that might put them deeper in the hole. They need to push this JV project with the UAE as hard as they can and secure it ASAP.

The sanctions on Iran will be lifted in October 2020. After that the Russians and Iranians will be signing a huge deal for Su-30SM and T-90 production.

There's nothing light about the UAE-Russia fighter. The Russians call even Super Hornet a light aircraft.
And on what are you basing your opinion any sources on that concerning the F-18?
We are talking about facts that can be found all over the net concerning the light weight 5th g fighter JV between the UAE and Russia..not opinions..

The point is you cant just put a factory somewhere and hope to produce 5th gen fighters, a lot more is needed, the factory is the easiest part.

Putting F-35 in UAE would be USA's first line of defence against Iran.

The point is you cant just put a factory somewhere and hope to produce 5th gen fighters, a lot more is needed, the factory is the easiest part.

Have you seen the nature of my interventions ? Of course not. We do not want to produce 5th gen fighters. We know very well that we can not - for the moment -.

We are not totally stupid - Contrary to what some people absolutely want to show in this forum -.

We want to produce “elements”, elements of this fighter. We already do it with the F-15SA (See 2 first videos) :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/did-...ngs-visit-to-china.492460/page-2#post-9432302

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-considers-f-35-aircraft-sale-to-uae.527330/page-6#post-10014696

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-considers-f-35-aircraft-sale-to-uae.527330/page-6#post-10014680

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-considers-f-35-aircraft-sale-to-uae.527330/page-5#post-10014643

There is no reason that prevents us that we do it also with the F-35.

Last edited:
The UAE is dealing with the Russians for the Su-35 and a new fighter development. And let's not forget their interest in Rafale also. It gives them more leverage than the Saudis.

Leverage maybe, but record of purchasing and many more decades of bilateral relationships from economic to military to investments even in the US far exceeds that of what the UAE has done. I guess that goes to show you loyalty doesn't really count for much when the bottom line is the bottom line. :lol:

The sanctions on Iran will be lifted in October 2020. After that the Russians and Iranians will be signing a huge deal for Su-30SM and T-90 production.

I was referring to the sanctions on Russia, not Iran. Even though Russian sanctions don't prevent them from selling military hardware vs purchasing, it usually does have an effect when it comes to selling offensive weapons to certain countries that are viewed within the "axis of evil" (not my saying BTW just to be clear.) As you well know, the Su-30 is not a defensive weapon and Iran getting those will not only throw Israel into a tizzy, panicked mode, but the US also and I think they'll put tremendous pressure on Russia.

But to your point, with Trump not re-certifying the INARA, and depending on what might transpire prior to 2022, the JCPOA could very well extend beyond that. Besides, the window of opportunity for the Israelis to fulfill their dream of being the first to use the F-35 in a war scenario is too much of a temptation for their greedy senses to let that chance slip away, and they'll most certainly attempt an attack on Iran prior to that date which will throw that entire agreement for a loop and those warmongering freaks will love throwing the ME back into a major turmoil since they thrive and live for that. They won't wait until Iran gets anything remotely close to the Su-30. Isn't it obvious that not even a level 3 partner to the JSF program, and merely a Security Cooperative Participant, equal to Singapore, has already received the most F-35s than any of the other top tier members? And they're not even paying for them! I don't think the writing on the wall could be any clearer. :lol:

I truly hope the Iranians get those Su-30s. They need to stop supporting the Houthis and meddling in other areas that we're all aware of, but they certainly deserve to be able to defend themselves from criminal aggression.

Good stuff from UAE Major General of the military Abdullah Al Hashmi about acquiring the F-35 and QME in the ME and Iran and most of it starts at minute 6:00 on.

There is no USAF/IDF per se..there is a standard variant that has Usraeli components on it for IDF.. All the others are standard USA..
I think @blain2 is right here. Israel is (and will be for the foreseeable future) one of the only country allowed to install its own customized software and weapons systems on the F-35. Here, the Israeli software is kind of like an app-like command and control system that is already used elsewhere in the Israeli Air Force's fleet. So the weapons would initially be an Israeli-built missile system. The US also allows the Israeli Air Force to service the jets independently, something very few partners (if any) are allowed to do. Lol
I think one reason for this is also because of israels technological track record, particularly with US weaponry. Since if you look at it well, Israel's Air Force has long tweaked F-16s and F-15 to integrate its own systems.
Plus, Israel is quite adept at building advanced military technologies, from weapons systems to sensors to communications gear, and sells a lot of it to the US. For example, Israel's Litening precision targeting system that uses infrared imaging and laser range finding to guide bombs to targets is widely used in a variety of US Air Force and Navy aircraft, same with the sophisticated Joint Helmet Mounted Display system for the U. S most advanced fighter jet the F-22 fighter pilots leans heavily on Israeli technology as well.
But funny enough, I think an even bigger part of the explanation has to do with Israel's state of perpetual conflict, this justify a degree of autonomy with the F-35. Reason Israel has its own maintenance Base for these jets, since israels unique situation means when you might go to war at any moment, the argument goes, you can’t have your best hardware go out of service for weeks at a time for checkouts outside your home country, something that can take just a few days on your own turf. So in this regard, countries in the region who have been in a state of war with Israel actually helps Israel in this regard. Lol

And on what are you basing your opinion any sources on that concerning the F-18?
We are talking about facts that can be found all over the net concerning the light weight 5th g fighter JV between the UAE and Russia..not opinions..

For the Russians, it's either over 30T or below 30T. Stuff below 30T MTOW is all light.

Their "light weight" 5th gen aircraft is planned to be a twin engine aircraft with well over 200KN of thrust, kinda like a Mig-35+, so this new jets is going to be as heavy as the F-35.

Don't get too hung up on the IAF's definition of light, medium and heavy.

https://www.stratpost.com/video-vayu-stratpost-air-power-roundtable-ii/
So the light-weight, medium and heavy aircraft consideration again needs to be looked at in the context – they are irrelevant today. And that’s the argument I put on the file and that was accepted at that point of time. You cannot categorize aircraft anymore as light – categorization can only be differentiated in terms of cost considerations and in terms of usage and quick rotation capabilities.” – Air Marshal (retd) M Matheswaran

Your real line of argument is that Mig's aircraft will be designed for air superiority while the F-35 is designed for ground strike. That's the main difference.

Back
Top Bottom