What's new

Turkish public believes Turkey has no friends - but Turks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Turkish public believes Turkey has no friends - but Turks

New study indicates that historical grievances and nationalist policies are making Turkey's population feel ever more isolated

By Ragip Soylu in Ankara

For decades, the Turkish state had a strictly nationalist curriculum in its schools, drilling the idea into pupils' minds that Turks have - almost always - been alone when facing an existential crisis in the international arena.
Teachers taught their students a saying that was believed to summarise the idea: “Turks don’t have friends besides other Turks.”
Though the teaching of such a message has been far less robust in recent years, analysts have still observed a similar trend in education.
Now, it appears, the message that Turkey can only rely on its Turkic neighbours and partners has lost its power - with the majority of Turkish citizens now thinking they stand almost completely alone.
According to an annual poll conducted among 1,000 people in December by Istanbul-based Kadir Has University, just one country fits the majority of the public’s definition of a friend or ally: Azerbaijan, a Turkic country that 56.5 of respondents saw favourably.
Second place was taken by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, an independent state only recognised by Ankara, with 43.1 percent support. Northern Cyprus saw a 16-percent drop in its approval ratings from last year, largely due to recent policy clashes with Ankara.
The poll also suggests the majority of Turkish citizens believe the remaining countries - including Georgia, Qatar, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, the United States, India and China - are not Turkey’s friends.

Lessons from history

Analysts believe the results aren’t surprising at all, considering the government's nationalist policies over recent decades and Turkey’s increasing military engagement in the region that put Ankara at odds with many neighbours.
Ferhat Kentel, a sociology professor at Istanbul Sehir University, told Middle East Eye that two events largely lie behind this trend: the fall of the Ottoman empire and the Sevres Treaty that followed it, which if enforced would have seen Turkey cede large chunks of Anatolia.
Former colonial powers are always high in the threat list: 64.5 percent of Turkish citizens perceive the US as a threat, 49 percent for the UK and France, while 55.6 percent feel the same about Israel.
Last month, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Ankara’s maritime delimitation deal with the Libyan government had reversed the Sevres Treaty by upending the regional order, a confirmation that memories from the late Ottoman era are still relevant in daily politics.
“The state taught citizens that we have been all alone since the independence war,” Kentel said, referring to the conflict that founded modern Turkey after the First World War.

'Yes, the majority doesn’t like anyone. But no one should ignore the millions of people with different ethnic, cultural and social backgrounds that do perceive other countries as allies'
- Murat Guvenc, study author

“However, now you have the ruling AKP in the last few years also working with nationalist leaders, like Devlet Bahceli and Dogu Perincek, who also assert that Turkey is alone.
"The public is also looking for international organisations or other countries to lean on. And they cannot find anyone else either.”
Others say the Turkish government’s involvement in Libya and Syria's civil wars, and Turkish military presence in Somalia, Qatar, Afghanistan and Bosnia, might have an impact on society as a whole.
Murat Guvenc, a professor at Kadir Has University, one of the study's authors, said that Turkey’s recent Operation Peace Spring in northeastern Syria against Kurdish forces was a good example of how foreign adventures can affect public consciousness.
“You saw both Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump trying to stop the operation. Trump was threatening Ankara with economic sanctions,” he told MEE. "It makes people feel that everyone is against them. I see a similar trend among the most educated, western and secular groups.”
However, Guvenc also pointed out that the results must be examined carefully.
“Yes, the majority doesn’t like anyone. But no one should ignore the millions of people with different ethnic, cultural and social backgrounds that do perceive other countries as allies," he said.
"And there is no monolithic group as Turks.”
On the other hand, Turkish feelings about other countries might be mutual.
For example, 44.4 percent of Turkish citizens believe Germany is a threat to them. And a poll done last year by YouGov indicates that the majority of Germans, 58 percent, believe Turkey should be expelled from Nato over Operation Peace Spring. Only 18 percent were against the idea.
“No one sees Turks as allies. And Turks know that,” Kentel said.
“This is also an international trend: everyone is inclined to go it alone. You have right-wing strongmen as heads of states around the world, which pumps up nationalism."

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkish-public-believes-turkey-has-no-friends-but-turks poll-says

Honestly, it is a sad read... Turkish example is of a man who tried to please everyone. They made a modern secular state, changed their clothes, changed their language, alphabet, ideals, joined NATO, tried(ing?) joining EU and let Islam go...
After a century of this experiment they stand alone or at least they feel they do... In this everyone maligned them... Arab nationalism and Western Europe... both for their history and their contemporary needs/demands/aspirations.

This is true. They are isolated.
Which NATO members support turkey, tell me?
Question is, what is NATO good for if they don't support each other? A whole chapter canbe written on what Turks did to change their very ethos to acquiesce and appease everyone(especially Europe) to be liked ... and be part of greater western community...

Question is, what is NATO good for if they don't support each other? A whole chapter canbe written on what Turks did to change their very ethos to acquiesce and appease everyone(especially Europe) to be liked ... and be part of greater western community...

You have a fixation on Turkey's NATO membership and that's what is clouding your judgment. You are misreading the outcome of this survey.

Religious, secular or nationalist - it doesn't matter, none of us really believes that our alliance with the West is irrevocable. At the same time, we don't believe in any alliances within the Muslim world. In a way, Turks are very realistic about their position in the world.

This is neither sad nor bad; it is what makes us different from Arabs and Persians.

Pretty much the rest of the world also think so, but Turks in central Asia are more of friends of Russia than Turkey.

You have a fixation on Turkey's NATO membership and that's what is clouding your judgment. You are misreading the outcome of this survey.

Religious, secular or nationalist - it doesn't matter, none of us really believes that our alliance with the West is irrevocable. At the same time, we don't believe in any alliances within the Muslim world. In a way, Turks are very realistic about their position in the world.

This is neither sad nor bad; it is what makes us different from Arabs and Persians.

Different, I get it. Going it alone, I do not. I think Turks have become a product of their own propaganda/paranoia.

Didn't Turks go to Germany for work? Yet Germans harbor the most hatred towards Turks...

Go it alone is a great slogan but do give me an example where it worked as well.

Keeping distinction is good but losing distinction between friend and foe is far worse.

Different, I get it. Going it alone, I do not. I think Turks have become a product of their own propaganda/paranoia.

Didn't Turks go to Germany for work? Yet Germans harbor the most hatred towards Turks...

Go it alone is a great slogan but do give me an example where it worked as well.

Keeping distinction is good but losing distinction between friend and foe is far worse.

We're living in a globalized world. No nation is "going alone" in these days, not even the US. Unlike other nations in the Western camp, Turkey always made it clear that we aren't organically connected to any side. THIS is the difference.

Turks need at least some supporters, if not friends. Everyone does need supporters. They also need to learn from the past and avoid being at the wrong side of the history. They have great potential though if they don't create new enemies. Their ultimate future lies somewhere without West and NATO.

I don't want to turn this into another one of these Turks-Vs-Chinese threads but if you really think that even one of your neighboring countries really, really likes you, you must be very delusional.
I was just telling the truth and I don't have that delusion, we keep very levelled and balanced relations with all countries.

We're living in a globalized world. No nation is "going alone" in these days, not even the US. Unlike other nations in the Western camp, Turkey always made it clear that we're aren't organically connected to any side. THIS is the difference.
That is only a tad bizarre... considering Turks harbor the largest NATO base in the region. If that means Turkiye is in anyway outside the western camp or even considers itself impartial will be a huge stretch, if not outright false.
Now that Turkiye holds its own opinion sometimes... blame the moto for it(NATO slogan "A mind unfettered in deliberation")

That is only a tad bizarre... considering Turks harbor the largest NATO base in the region. If that means Turkiye is in anyway outside the western camp or even considers itself impartial will be a huge stretch, if not outright false.
Now that Turkiye holds its own opinion sometimes... blame the moto for it(NATO slogan "A mind unfettered in deliberation")

Everyone can pick a side, some can change it and only a few have the guts to do so. I believe that America knows what we're capable of. This is why they voluntarily avoided a clash with Turkey in N Syria.

Everyone can pick a side, some can change it and only a few have the guts to do so. I believe that America knows what we're capable of. This is why they voluntarily avoided a clash with Turkey in N Syria.
I guess we'd never know...
but here, eventhough everyone can pick a side... which side is Turkiye?
If Turks say after this long that they're all alone ...
Is Turkiye even seeking allies?
Does Turkiye want to stand for someone, something?

NATO is there to support western Christian civilization. Turkey is not part of it. Turkey is roped in just to be make use by Christian NATO members.

NATO is there to support western Christian civilization. Turkey is not part of it. Turkey is roped in just to be make use by Christian NATO members.
It's not like Turks were a reluctant partner...
In fact they went all out for E.U. membership until they started moving the goalpost.

Back
Top Bottom