What's new

Turkish Peace Operations in Syria (Operation Olive Branch) Updates & Discussions

Despite the truce,it seems the YPG targeted a Turkish tank with an atgm resulting in one soldier being killed.

Despite the truce,it seems the YPG targeted a Turkish tank with an atgm resulting in one soldier being killed.
Ypg wont retreat and the US will sanction Turkey whether the operation continues or not so i think Turkey should juts honor the 5 day truce and then go in full power, theres nothing to loose anyways.

Ypg wont retreat and the US will sanction Turkey whether the operation continues or not so i think Turkey should juts honor the 5 day truce and then go in full power, theres nothing to loose anyways.

What is the point in honouring a deal when the counterparty does not uphold its promises?

Turkey should hammer them now.

Explains a lot...
Screenshot_2019-10-20-15-56-40.jpeg

Safe zone must include checkpoint into Iraq at Yaaroubia. This will mean that we can bypass KRG area in future and also stem the movement of militants between Syria and Iraq. I think this is a main priority early in the operation.
Screenshot 2019-10-20 at 13.14.40.png

Safe zone must include checkpoint into Iraq at Yaaroubia. This will mean that we can bypass KRG area in future and also stem the movement of militants between Syria and Iraq. I think this is a main priority early in the operation.
View attachment 585167

Iraqi army and TAF were planned a joint operation around 2017.

Within the scope of the operation, main objective was cutting to PKK's Syria-Iraq connection. According to this planning Zaho's the west countryside would be under Iraqi Army control. And in a short time Ovaköy-Dayrabun bordergate would opened between Iraq and Turkey. Such Iraq and Turkey would have a direct commercial connection through the Talafar-Zakho-Silopi line. And new train line that was planned over this route. Furthermore, the PKK's Sinjar and Mahmur camps would controlled by the Iraqi army. Such would have ended the existence of the Pkk from the Iraq's west of the Tigris. Moreover, the presence of the PKK would be largely confined to Syria.

But with US repression (and another country with influence in Iraq) , this comprehensive operation was blocked. On the other hand, the Iraqi state gave a green light to the TAF operation of the Metina, Avaşin and Hakurk training camps belonging to the PKK. (Turkey has operational authority in this area, but the things I mentioned , kind of operation series which will be extend to Qandil area in the long term.)

The latest situation in the north of Iraq is as follows:

blue - permanently cleared areas by TAF.
brown - Regions under PKK control
red - under the control of the Kurdish regional government
purple - central government of Iraq
sdfsdf.JPG

Last edited:
Iraqi army and TAF were planned a joint operation around 2017.

Within the scope of the operation, main objective was cutting to PKK's Syria-Iraq connection. According to this planning Zaho's the west countryside would be under Iraqi Army control. And in a short time Ovaköy-Dayrabun bordergate would opened between Iraq and Turkey. Such Iraq and Turkey would have a direct commercial connection through the Talafar-Zakho-Silopi line. And new train line that was planned over this route. Furthermore, the PKK's Sinjar and Mahmur camps would controlled by the Iraqi army. Such would have ended the existence of the Pkk from the Iraq's west of the Tigris. Moreover, the presence of the PKK would be largely confined to Syria.

But with US repression (and another country with influence in Iraq) , this comprehensive operation was blocked. On the other hand, the Iraqi state gave a green light to the TAF operation of the Metina, Avaşin and Hakurk training camps belonging to the PKK.

The latest situation in the north of Iraq is as follows:

blue - permanently cleared areas by TAF.
brown - Regions under PKK control
red - under the control of the Kurdish regional government
purple - central government of Iraq
View attachment 585177
I remember the situation at the time, so if we implement at the Syrian side of the border, the Iraqi government should't get any opposition this time to continue its plans on their side, as the corridor will be closed. Also US will no longer be using this area for transit.

It is in the Iraqi governments interest to restrict the movement of PKK. Also I think KRG where applying addition duties to Turkey's good's entering Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom