What's new

Turkey could be considering Pakistani produced JF-17 fighter aircraft

i doubt russia will have any issues with engines, turkey if wants should be able to create it sown suit if it wants or use a mix of Pakistani/western/italian avionics..i doubt china will have an issue with that as it wants solid countries to get exposure to its weapons to solidify its exports

i doubt turkey will go full chinese, too many compaitibility issues but seeing they opted for s 300/400 its cannot be compeltely ruled out

its a good choice if italy use home built avioncis and weapons especially if f-16 saga is true

We can use this deal to entice the Russians to let us set up an MRO for the RD-93 engines and possibly sale of the RD-33 for use in Pak's JF17. I think that the major avionics will be Turkish but can't say anything about the radar. But this whole saga, if true, would certainly open up a lot of possibilities for Pakistan interms of collaboration with major western players on its plan. Interesting times ahead.

Could be in interesting Enhancements:

Block 1 Standard offering
Block 2 A Refueling Pods, Turkish Sniper Pod, Enhanced SD-10 Support
Block 2 B (2 Seater)
Block 3 Enhanced Engine, AESA Radar
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Block 4 Turkish Avionics / Weapons Package perhaps British AESA

Why aren't Iranians buying this aircraft, btw? Can somebody explain this to me without trolling, please?

Why aren't Iranians buying this aircraft, btw? Can somebody explain this to me without trolling, please?
possibly because they are working on their own aircraft. additionally, may be it has never been offered to them considering the weird nature of Pak-Iran relations. @SOHEIL might have a more detailed answer

The whole Pakistan/Iran angle is the biggest missed business oppurtunity in world
We really need to have more trade/ cultural exchange with Iran & Russia just around the corner

People are saying BLK-III BUT the whole point of the JF program was to have a plane that can be tailored to the customers needs.

As Turkey is developing Radar, Sensors, Avionics and Weapon systems. IF they get JF it will be a blank plane which is retrofitted by them as they need!

Agreed as JF-17 is not NATO compliant and As Turkey is developing Radar, Sensors, Avionics and Weapon systems. IF they get JF it will be a blank plane which is retrofitted by them as they need! So if if if this news is true even than it will be almost a new plane.

1 ...... Turkish Airforce has 234 F-16C/D

maybe TURKISH F-16 BLOCK-70 MODERNIZATION F-16 useful life beyond 2030

2 ...... Turkey is Global Partner of the F-35 JSF Project and Turkey plans to buy 100 F-35A for Turkish Airforce between 2018 and 2030

3 ....... Turkey develops HURJET New Generation Basic Trainer and Close-Air Support / Light Strike Jet to replace T-38 TALONs
-- first flight by 2022
-- Mach 1.2 speed
-- 45000ft service ceiling
-- 3 ton payload

4 ....... Turkey develops TAI TFX 5th gen stealth Fighter Jet to replace F-16 fleet
-- first flight by 2023
-- Mach 2 speed
-- 55000ft service ceiling
-- 1100+ km Combat Radius

5 ....... and Turkey is considering JF-17 Fighter Jets .... maybe Turkish version to fight against Terrorism and maybe to operate in Turkish Military Bases in Qatar and Somali
-- Aselsan IFF (Friend or Foe) System
-- Aselsan SPEWS II Electronic Warfare Self Protection Suite
-- Aselsan GaN based AESA Radar
-- Aselsan ASELPOD Targeting Pod
-- Aselsan MEHPOD Jamming Pod
-- Tubitak - Sage SOM Cruise Missile
-- Tubitak - Sage HGK and KGK Smart Bombs
-- Tubitak - Sage GOKTUG BVR and VWR Air to Air Missiles
-- Aselsan TEBER Smart Bomb
-- Aselsan LGK Laser Guided Bomb

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
We can use this deal to entice the Russians to let us set up an MRO for the RD-93 engines and possibly sale of the RD-33 for use in Pak's JF17. I think that the major avionics will be Turkish but can't say anything about the radar. But this whole saga, if true, would certainly open up a lot of possibilities for Pakistan interms of collaboration with major western players on its plan. Interesting times ahead.

The Turks are working on their own GaN based AESA radar for their 5th generation fighter along with BVR, WVR missiles and host of other advanced subsystems for the TFX. Wouldn’t be too hard for them to divert some of the tech towards the JF-17, if they decide to induct them. In fact, in the future, it’s possible a lot of Turkish subsystems will find their way into the JF-17. The Aselpod is just the first step. Many more will likely follow and they should. My own personal favorite that I want to see someday is the SOM cruise missile for the JF-17, esp for naval attack. Will give a significant punch to the PAF units tasked to maritime defence.

Turkey should have partnered up a long time ago. Its a good replacement for the F-4/5s and the TURAF can use & abuse it without restrictions. It also would have greatly improved the overall capabilities of the jet because of Turkish industrial input.

The Turks are working on their own GaN based AESA radar for their 5th generation fighter along with BVR, WVR missiles and host of other advanced subsystems for the TFX. Wouldn’t be too hard for them to divert some of the tech towards the JF-17, if they decide to induct them. In fact, in the future, it’s possible a lot of Turkish subsystems will find their way into the JF-17. The Aselpod is just the first step. Many more will likely follow and they should. My own personal favorite that I want to see someday is the SOM cruise missile for the JF-17, esp for naval attack. Will give a significant punch to the PAF units tasked to maritime defence.

This will also enable Pakistan to diversify the countries from which it sources its tech. Don't get me wrong, the Chinese have been monumentally helpful in this project but only dependent on their tech is akin to repeating past mistakes that we made with the US. I am also hopeful that we may collaborate with South Africa on JF-17. But that idea may just remain in the pages of Quwa.org. Further haven't we have our own cruise missiles configured for JF-17? what is the need for another? does SOM give us any advantage over Raad?

This will also enable Pakistan to diversify the countries from which it sources its tech. Don't get me wrong, the Chinese have been monumentally helpful in this project but only dependent on their tech is akin to repeating past mistakes that we made with the US. I am also hopeful that we may collaborate with South Africa on JF-17. But that idea may just remain in the pages of Quwa.org. Further haven't we have our own cruise missiles configured for JF-17? what is the need for another? does SOM give us any advantage over Raad?

SOM is lighter and much more stealthier than Ra’ad cruise missile. Will come in handy to disable Indian AD systems and also against their ships. Keep in mind, it’s the only third party approved for the F-35

Hi,

No---and CM400AKG is a far superior AShM than the SOM---with a close to mach 5 speed and longer range---.

Speed is not everything. Don’t fall for the Indian none sense. Subsonic stealthy cruise missiles are much better, explains why the most premier cruise missile today the Tomahawk is a subsonic and not a supersonic missile.

SOM is lighter and much more stealthier than Ra’ad cruise missile. Will come in handy to disable Indian AD systems and also against their ships. Keep in mind, it’s the only third party approved for the F-35
Maybe we can make a local variant of SOM? But i don't think that the PAF or the Navy will go for it. Why no improve what you already have instead of maintaining two types of weapons that offer the same abilities.

Maybe we can make a local variant of SOM? But i don't think that the PAF or the Navy will go for it. Why no improve what you already have instead of maintaining two types of weapons that offer the same abilities.

SOM uses the best of western technology and perfected by Lockheed Martin. It’s anti-jamming capabilities and ability to operate in dense electronic and air defence theatres must definitely be better than Ra’ad. If it’s good enough for NATO & F-35, then it’s certainly good enough for Pakistan and JF-17

Back
Top Bottom