What's new

To all Chinese members, what is your favorite Chinese Dynasty?

1 well at that time the people don't have strong consciousness of race identity. people have idea of sinicized and no-sinicized (华夷之辨)i think they are all chinese :wave:
2 they have big ships and good navigation skills but no navy
3 industrization?that's wishful thinking of old days chinese scholars. they have only mature handicraft at time. "leading military technology of the time including handguns and rockets?" first, guns were very immature at that time second their guns were even behind japanese guns in korean war in wanli era. european already had better guns at the end of ming.
4 what european powers? Dutch? ming already died the day zhengchenggong fought Dutch.
5 ming was destroyed by Lizicheng not Manchu.:mps:

Ming was not impressive enough compared to other chinese dynasties even Qing dynasties. Ming was already on downside spiral of chinese civilzation.

As a Dynasty, Ming was much better than Qing.

At least Ming was politically stable from 14th century until late 16th century or early 17th century before it collapsed.

The biggest event was the Tumu crisis, but it didn't happen in the area with high density, so not many Chinese citizens were affected by this crisis.

Overall, Ming was stable for over 200 years, this was quite uneasy for an ancient Chinese Dynasty.

favorate dynasty: Song and Ming not because how powerful they were but
the material life, science and technology unmatchable by anyone at the time.

so basically means I could be very corrupted :smokin:

01300000164305121127375624224.jpg

Ming%2520dynasty%2520map.jpg

ming-dynasty-map1.gif

I thought this is an accurate map.

Im not Chinese, but I like the Han Empire. Also when I was young I used to play games related to the three dynasty period..

This a nice documentary of the Qin Emperor and his empire.

In Sanskrit, China was called "Chin", I think after the Qin. And the Chinese, "Chinas". They supposedly fought a war with Indians along with other "Barbarians" from Central Asia. Though I think they are Tibetians.

Last edited by a moderator:

This a nice documentary of the Qin Emperor and his empire.

In Sanskrit, China was called "Chin", I think after the Qin. And the Chinese, "Chinas". They supposedly fought a war with Indians along with other "Barbarians" from Central Asia. Though I think they are Tibetians.

Thanks for the effort in piecing them videos together. I also like to have a lazy way of viewing documentaries when they are seperated into several chunks =)

Last edited by a moderator:
my favourite dynasty:
1.Spring and Autumn Period.great philosopher, educator Confucius and many military strategists such as Sun Wu and Sun Bin.
2.Han dynasty.great emperor—wudi
3.Tang dynasty.prosperity in economy,culture,art,and literature...

Has to be Tang. It's cultural impact in East & Central Asia is comparable to the US in the Western world today. I can so imagine some 7th Centuryn Soghdian kid playing & singing Chinese songs much like youth around the world today are crazy about Hip Hop. Everything Chinese was cool, anything that deviated from it drooled.

The history of Tang during 618-755 AD was really splendid and beautiful, but after that it was getting really hideous.

For the sake of argument, I'll suggest Qing dynasty. The impact of time means that the further back we go in time, the less we really know about what happened. Is Qin really that much more brutal than its successor Han? For Qing, however, we have good physical evidence even today.

The reigns of Kangxi and Qianlong were definitely the most recent Golden Age in Chinese history. Emissaries from around the world came to Beijing bearing gifts to pay respect to the Empire of the Great Qing. The Qing secured China by defeating all the surrounding nomads, as well as Czarist Russia, Hindu Gurkhas, rebellious Tibetan sects, rebellious Vietnamese and Japanese Wukou. At its height, Qing was almost as big as Czarist Russia and dominated all of East Asia.

The ultra-conservative culture of the Qing (especially in contrast to inventive Song and early Ming) made everyday life very stable and peaceful for commoners. China's population boomed in the Qing far more than earlier dynasties, so they must be doing something right.

Of course, this ultra-conservative culture led to Europe gaining a 200 year technological lead by the time of the Opium War. The result was disastrous. Still, let's not let the hideous oppressive rule of the later Qing rulers erase the importance contributions of the Kangxi-Qianlong Golden Age. China was once known around the world for its fine quality craftsmanship, artistic culture, harmony with nature and well-mannered people (much different from today!).

For the sake of argument, I'll suggest Qing dynasty. The impact of time means that the further back we go in time, the less we really know about what happened. Is Qin really that much more brutal than its successor Han? For Qing, however, we have good physical evidence even today.

The reigns of Kangxi and Qianlong were definitely the most recent Golden Age in Chinese history. Emissaries from around the world came to Beijing bearing gifts to pay respect to the Empire of the Great Qing. The Qing secured China by defeating all the surrounding nomads, as well as Czarist Russia, Hindu Gurkhas, rebellious Tibetan sects, rebellious Vietnamese and Japanese Wukou. At its height, Qing was almost as big as Czarist Russia and dominated all of East Asia.

The ultra-conservative culture of the Qing (especially in contrast to inventive Song and early Ming) made everyday life very stable and peaceful for commoners. China's population boomed in the Qing far more than earlier dynasties, so they must be doing something right.

Of course, this ultra-conservative culture led to Europe gaining a 200 year technological lead by the time of the Opium War. The result was disastrous. Still, let's not let the hideous oppressive rule of the later Qing rulers erase the importance contributions of the Kangxi-Qianlong Golden Age. China was once known around the world for its fine quality craftsmanship, artistic culture, harmony with nature and well-mannered people (much different from today!).

Qing has contributed a solid territory for the modern China, but the development of the technology was a big mistake for them. I am not suggesting that the technology could be skyrocketed under Ming, but Qing has done far more much damage than Ming.

The reign between Kangxi and Qianlong was certainly not Golden Age in China's history, but not as dark as some Chinese Ultra-Nationalists claimed to be.

I think the early period of Qing Dynasty was a Silver Age in the Chinese history.

Agree, Qing is a bit like song, nothing really standing out but overall prospering.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom