What's new

The other Imran Khan - conquest of London

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
VIP clubs and ‘mystery blondes’: Imran Khan’s party years
Before Imran Khan turned to politics, he was a fixture of London’s social scene. Women adored him, recalls Ivo Tennant

Ivo Tennant
July 30 2018, 12:01am, The Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ff103b256-91ae-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

Imran Khan in 1994CAMERA PRESS
Save
As soon as we emerged from our lunch in Le Méridien Hotel Imran Khan was recognised. He was no longer leading Pakistan on the pitch and was yet to make his mark on politics, but Piccadilly in London was then his playground. It was the land of Tramp, the nightclub in St James’s frequented by the glitterati, and he treated it, according to its owner, Johnny Gold, and his former team-mates, as his personal sitting-room.

Gold said then that this was the biggest compliment he had received. “Women always want to sit with him. Like George Best in his younger days; they appear out of the woodwork, whether they are debs or South Americans. He likes a touch of craziness in his female friends, but you can’t say, ‘Ah! There’s an Imran Khan type.’ But he liked mixing in the upper echelons of society in London.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0f4dfe60-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

Khan with Julia Verdin and Caroline Kellett in 1987
After more than two decades of political campaigning Khan claimed victory in Pakistan’s elections last Thursday, but during the 1980s and 1990s he enjoyed an entirely different sort of party activism. Khan was the handsome trophy that every high-society hostess sought to put on display — and the world’s most eligible bachelor made the most of it. “No man looks as devastating as Imran,” the model Marie Helvin said. “Everyone falls for him. He has a scent that is very attractive to women.”

His aroma was accentuated by his abhorrence of strong smells and of tobacco and alcohol. Unlike Best, Khan eschewed the champagne, while the girlfriends he had — up to and including Jemima Goldsmith — could be defined by their breeding and appearance. Still, one or two would end up being labelled by the tabloids “mystery blondes”, the shorthand employed when a red-top picture desk could not put a name to a fleeting face.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd6b501a2-91ae-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With the Marquis of Worcester and an unidentified woman in 1987REX FEATURES
Emma Sergeant, the one woman he truly loved before his first marriage, is widely credited with introducing him into what was vaguely defined as society. The daughter of the eminent City journalist Patrick Sergeant, she was a dreamy, pre-Raphaelite beauty and a gifted artist. She knew not a jot about cricket. There is still a mention of her in just about every profile of Khan.

The credit for Khan’s initial straddling of east and west really belongs to Jonathan Orders, a Wykehamist and MCC committee man whose brother had known Khan at Oxford University. He had already introduced him to one woman he had invited back to Pakistan, Susie Murray-Philipson, before giving a dinner party in 1982, the year in which Khan first led his country in a Test series in England.

He was 29 and Orders had seen enough of Khan to know what sort of guests should be invited to his party. “If there were no pretty girls, his mind wandered. Emma was good-looking, but also attractive through being very talented,” he said. She was seven years his junior. That evening the two of them went on to a nightclub in London.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fca47eb1e-91ae-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With Ivana Trump in 1990REX FEATURES
In Pakistan Khan had not been accustomed to so many women being in train. Mark Shand, the brother of the Duchess of Cornwall, remarked at the time: “It was as if he was in a candy shop at first.” His new flat in Draycott Avenue, Chelsea, was close to Sergeant’s studio, Kings Road and Tramp. He had found his milieu, a hub away from Worcester, which he found exceedingly dull, and Hove, where he had also played his county cricket.

Sergeant did not refer to her relationship with Khan as anything other than a friendship, so as not to embarrass him in Pakistan. She did not meet his mother when she visited the country in 1982: “It would have been very embarrassing for her and for Imran to meet me anywhere in their country,” she said. Shaukat Khanum’s advice to her son when he left for his first tour of England had been: “Don’t bring back a foreign wife.” She died before he did so.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1d146f16-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With Marie Helvin in 1991DAVID KOPPEL
This relationship, affected by the long separations that are a cricketer’s lot, came to an end in 1986. Sergeant reckoned at the time that Khan would have an arranged marriage and their cultural differences were irreconcilable. Much the same had been the case with Murray-Philipson. “He was charmingly bashful and flirtatious, but I didn’t know what to talk to him about and was not impressed with the whole Pakistan set-up,” she said. “I felt wholly out of place.”

The parties continued, not least with Jeffrey Archer. At a barbecue given in Fulham by Geoffrey Dean, The Times’s cricket writer, Khan could not disguise his boredom when the food took a long time to arrive. He and a female guest disappeared — to Dean’s bedroom. “Unlike people such as myself who give the lot at a party, sparks and all, Imran does not perform,” Sergeant said. “His sense of dignity is such that he does not feel he has to make an effort with strangers.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F28adcc28-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With “a mystery blonde” in 1992A & A NEWS
Khan states now, not altogether convincingly, that he recalls little of his so-called playboy past. Others do not forget him. He made an entry into cocktail parties “with his back straight instead of scuttling in and fiffling and faffling around”, as his friend Sarah Crawley put it. Lulu Blacker, a friend of the Duchess of York’s, was another woman invited to Pakistan. “He loves his posh friends,” she said. “He is a little bit of a snob. Imran did become cocky for a time since girls were throwing themselves at his feet, but his real friends would not take any rubbish from him. I certainly don’t look up to him.”

Susannah Constantine met Khan through Blacker before she became a familiar face on television. She became his girlfriend when she was 27, initially trying to keep the relationship secret — although that was hardly possible given that Nigel Dempster, the leading gossip columnist of the day, was at the table next to them in Tramp. She took Khan partridge shooting at Longford Castle near Salisbury, where he appeared in jeans and gym shoes and borrowed the Earl of Radnor’s gun.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3c596cf0-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With Susannah Constantine in 1989MIRRORPIX
“He also wore a hideous sweater with pheasants on it, which was the equivalent of turning up at Burleigh with pictures of horses on his clothing,” she said. “It went into the bin.” Given his peripatetic life, they drifted apart after a year. Marriage was never contemplated. Emma Gibbs, Constantine’s Australian flatmate, dealt with any pomposity in the Antipodean way. “The second time I met him I said, ‘God, how are you?’ He did laugh.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F56d36ac2-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With “a mystery blonde” in 1990DAVID KOPPEL
Julia Verdin, who was gossip column fodder at the time, appeared with Khan at a ball at the Hurlingham Club. Doone Murray, a former girlfriend of the Marquess of Blandford (now the Duke of Marlborough), was employed to do some administrative work for Khan and promptly fell for him. She disclosed her feelings to “a close friend” who in turn disclosed them to The People. “When we were together in his room the phone would keep ringing with girls desperate to meet him,” she said. Emily Todhunter, an ex-girlfriend of Taki, the Spectator columnist, went so far as to say in the 1990s that “a lot of women have been in love with Imran and he should aim to be a saint rather than prime minister”.

Tracy Worcester, who was married to the present Duke of Beaufort at the time, told Khan three decades ago that he should go into politics. He espoused her various causes. She gave a dinner party for him and the cricket-loving Harold Pinter and told him he should be prepared to put up with the risk of death to gain justice for his country. So he has, his playboy years in Kings Road and Tramp apparently erased from his memory — if not those of his numerous girlfriends.

Those were the good times you will never get back those times. These days are the worst times.

He had the looks, Haters gonna hate and be jealous.
He was young. He was foolish. And he lived. And he bested the best that London could throw. Everything laid down at his feet. And this [below] is Ivanka Trump. He actually trumped Trump. This had me laughing. I can see him meetimg Trump at White House and enquiring "eh how is the Miss Trump"? Hahaha ...

Read this one guys. You will be laughing !

Imran Khan and the Sydney University maiden

CRICKET broadcaster Kerry O’Keefe has spilled the beans on the most legendary performance by an overseas player on Aussie soil.

Adam Santarossa
news.com.auFebruary 9, 20178:24am
50bcfacf09738e92678680bba6ab0ad7

Pakistani politician, former cricketer Imran Khan.Source:News Limited

SHANE Warne is considered by many as cricket’s greatest playboy, but former Test spinner Kerry O’Keeffe has lifted the lid of his experiences with another, Pakistani legend Imran Khan — and the tale leaves “Warney” in the shade.

O’Keeffe played alongside Khan during the 1984-1985 season, when the Pakistan all-rounder turned out for New South Wales and also Sydney grade club, Sydney University.

It was at University where O’Keeffe got up close to Khan and the former Australian leg spinner has shared a hilarious story as part of his YouTube series.

Khan would make just seven appearances for the club side during his time in Australia but one match against North Sydney will go down in folklore.

The match was held at University Oval No. 1 in December of 1984, as the Students took on North Sydney.

d0ec903c5c89d673afb61add9f4f2b5a

Pakistani Test cricketer Imran Khan in his playing days.Source:News Corp Australia

Khan was considered a notorious playboy during his legendary career and O’Keeffe recalls how the Pakistani great had caught the attention of one glamorous blonde watching on at University Oval.

“She only had eyes for one player and it wasn’t happily married Uni captain Mick O’Sullivan with five daughters — it was the Pakistan all-rounder,” O’Keeffe explains.

“Who was never short of female company it has to be said. I’m not saying they were groupies, but Imran Khan was attractive to women without question.”

Khan was staying at the up market apartment complex The Connaught, overlooking Sydney’s Hyde Park and would zoom around Sydney in a red sports car provided by a sponsor.

Sydney University were defending just 180 on a flat deck and North Sydney was making easy work of the run chase as the lunch break was called.

While Sydney University players were “nibbling nervously on some Sao’s”, Khan had other things on his mind.

“He was waltzing out of the carpark with the blonde into the red sports car and back to The Connaught,” O’Keeffe said.

“Now, A, you could lock in (they were heading back) for Tofu. B, to watch re-runs of Gunsmoke or, C, horizontal folk dancing — I’m not saying which one it was.

“All I’m saying after the forty minutes Sydney University strode out to try and defend their meagre total at 180 — only with 10 men.”

North Sydney was well poised for victory. At 3/130, chasing 180, things looked bleak, and University were now without their strike man.

Imran Khan had not returned. Captain O’Sullivan was livid. North Sydney’s score was mounting, in lots of 10 towards the small target. The visitors knew that without the star bowler on the ground, they were a huge chance of victory.

“20 minutes after the break, Imran Khan with the blonde and the red sports car returned, and casually strolls onto the field at fine-leg,” recalled O’Keeffe.

d2a210a63105f5dc0eff57507d548fe1

Khan led Pakistan to a World Cup win in 1992.Source:Getty Images

Suddenly a wicket fell. North Sydney now only had four wickets in hand, a further 30 runs needed.

Imran Khan would walk up to his captain Mick O’Sullivan and simply said “I will bowl now,” says O’Keeffe – Khan offering no explanation as to why he was late.

“He bowled the most withering spell of reverse swing ever seen at Sydney University Oval,” O’Keeffe said. The Pakistani great firing University to victory.

While O’Keefe’s recollection flatters Khan (O’Keeffe claims he took 5/3), Sydney University’s 1984-1985 season reports sheds insight into the fateful day — also verifying Khan’s extra-curricular activity.

The long struggle on the second day saw us restricting the run rate but finding it difficult to obtain wickets. That is until at 2.10pm after a slightly longer than scheduled lunch (for who knows what) Imran’s wonderful words, “Captain, I will bowl now” were uttered. After a big Imran off cutter hit Graham Spring’s stumps, Greedy Grimble chipped in with Trevor Chappell’s wicket. Two more Imran off cutters for LBWs saw the game turn our way. Good pressure was maintained and we scraped home by 9 runs. Imran’s 4-25 from 23 overs was a high point. I am sure all players derived enormous satisfaction from watching him.

He was young. He was foolish. And he lived. And he bested the best that London could throw. Everything laid down at his feet. And this [below] is Ivanka Trump. He actually trumped Trump. This had me laughing. I can see him meetimg Trump at White House and enquiring "eh how is the Miss Trump"? Hahaha ...

Read this one guys. You will be laughing !

Imran Khan and the Sydney University maiden

CRICKET broadcaster Kerry O’Keefe has spilled the beans on the most legendary performance by an overseas player on Aussie soil.

Adam Santarossa
news.com.auFebruary 9, 20178:24am
50bcfacf09738e92678680bba6ab0ad7

Pakistani politician, former cricketer Imran Khan.Source:News Limited

SHANE Warne is considered by many as cricket’s greatest playboy, but former Test spinner Kerry O’Keeffe has lifted the lid of his experiences with another, Pakistani legend Imran Khan — and the tale leaves “Warney” in the shade.

O’Keeffe played alongside Khan during the 1984-1985 season, when the Pakistan all-rounder turned out for New South Wales and also Sydney grade club, Sydney University.

It was at University where O’Keeffe got up close to Khan and the former Australian leg spinner has shared a hilarious story as part of his YouTube series.

Khan would make just seven appearances for the club side during his time in Australia but one match against North Sydney will go down in folklore.

The match was held at University Oval No. 1 in December of 1984, as the Students took on North Sydney.

d0ec903c5c89d673afb61add9f4f2b5a

Pakistani Test cricketer Imran Khan in his playing days.Source:News Corp Australia

Khan was considered a notorious playboy during his legendary career and O’Keeffe recalls how the Pakistani great had caught the attention of one glamorous blonde watching on at University Oval.

“She only had eyes for one player and it wasn’t happily married Uni captain Mick O’Sullivan with five daughters — it was the Pakistan all-rounder,” O’Keeffe explains.

“Who was never short of female company it has to be said. I’m not saying they were groupies, but Imran Khan was attractive to women without question.”

Khan was staying at the up market apartment complex The Connaught, overlooking Sydney’s Hyde Park and would zoom around Sydney in a red sports car provided by a sponsor.

Sydney University were defending just 180 on a flat deck and North Sydney was making easy work of the run chase as the lunch break was called.

While Sydney University players were “nibbling nervously on some Sao’s”, Khan had other things on his mind.

“He was waltzing out of the carpark with the blonde into the red sports car and back to The Connaught,” O’Keeffe said.

“Now, A, you could lock in (they were heading back) for Tofu. B, to watch re-runs of Gunsmoke or, C, horizontal folk dancing — I’m not saying which one it was.

“All I’m saying after the forty minutes Sydney University strode out to try and defend their meagre total at 180 — only with 10 men.”

North Sydney was well poised for victory. At 3/130, chasing 180, things looked bleak, and University were now without their strike man.

Imran Khan had not returned. Captain O’Sullivan was livid. North Sydney’s score was mounting, in lots of 10 towards the small target. The visitors knew that without the star bowler on the ground, they were a huge chance of victory.

“20 minutes after the break, Imran Khan with the blonde and the red sports car returned, and casually strolls onto the field at fine-leg,” recalled O’Keeffe.

d2a210a63105f5dc0eff57507d548fe1

Khan led Pakistan to a World Cup win in 1992.Source:Getty Images

Suddenly a wicket fell. North Sydney now only had four wickets in hand, a further 30 runs needed.

Imran Khan would walk up to his captain Mick O’Sullivan and simply said “I will bowl now,” says O’Keeffe – Khan offering no explanation as to why he was late.

“He bowled the most withering spell of reverse swing ever seen at Sydney University Oval,” O’Keeffe said. The Pakistani great firing University to victory.

While O’Keefe’s recollection flatters Khan (O’Keeffe claims he took 5/3), Sydney University’s 1984-1985 season reports sheds insight into the fateful day — also verifying Khan’s extra-curricular activity.

The long struggle on the second day saw us restricting the run rate but finding it difficult to obtain wickets. That is until at 2.10pm after a slightly longer than scheduled lunch (for who knows what) Imran’s wonderful words, “Captain, I will bowl now” were uttered. After a big Imran off cutter hit Graham Spring’s stumps, Greedy Grimble chipped in with Trevor Chappell’s wicket. Two more Imran off cutters for LBWs saw the game turn our way. Good pressure was maintained and we scraped home by 9 runs. Imran’s 4-25 from 23 overs was a high point. I am sure all players derived enormous satisfaction from watching him.
had a thing for blondies, fair play I say.

Ah well... they won't blame us now that we are highly extremist and fundamentalist and what not, society. We elected a playboy as our PM.

Now piss off and leave us alone.

Cool... Just like me. I could relate. Had one nighters ... Threesomes... Jacuzzi fun... Booz.

Then I had an awakening, found my centre ... Connected to my Deen. Married a practicing Muslim.

Now i don't pass judgment on others... Because you never know where someone's life will take them. Only Allah knows what's in our hearts.

Don't judge; least ye be judged.

Sorry cannot criticize May be I have been even worse than him. All that matters is what he is now. He is the only hope this country has.

I'm no expert but that doesn't look too compatible with the religion. Not a criticism. Just a curious observation.

I'm no expert but that doesn't look too compatible with the religion. Not a criticism. Just a curious observation.
Well this is something strange about Pakistan we all talk religion but most of us have done party harder than this poor prime minister. It is a strange country.

Sorry cannot criticize May be I have been even worse than him. All that matters is what he is now. He is the only hope this country has.
Sharif wo jisko mauka nahi mila :D

He explicitly said he didnt believe in god before returning to Pakistan

I'm no expert but that doesn't look too compatible with the religion.
We are Pakistanis. When we are young and hot blooded we take [some of us] a sabbatical. This involves a study of the diseased western society. But to study it we have to observe and experiment close up. Then when we get older we get wiser. Now we are experianced because we have lived. God is ever forgiving. And we mostly by 50 like to return on the right path.

And as you can see Imran can has done his graduation, masters, doctorate and now is man of improved and correct ways.

And we are flexible. How much? Well all the while being a Islamic republic we can keep as our best ally a athiest peoples republic called China. Now does contradiction not tell you something???

Last edited:
VIP clubs and ‘mystery blondes’: Imran Khan’s party years
Before Imran Khan turned to politics, he was a fixture of London’s social scene. Women adored him, recalls Ivo Tennant

Ivo Tennant
July 30 2018, 12:01am, The Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ff103b256-91ae-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

Imran Khan in 1994CAMERA PRESS
Save
As soon as we emerged from our lunch in Le Méridien Hotel Imran Khan was recognised. He was no longer leading Pakistan on the pitch and was yet to make his mark on politics, but Piccadilly in London was then his playground. It was the land of Tramp, the nightclub in St James’s frequented by the glitterati, and he treated it, according to its owner, Johnny Gold, and his former team-mates, as his personal sitting-room.

Gold said then that this was the biggest compliment he had received. “Women always want to sit with him. Like George Best in his younger days; they appear out of the woodwork, whether they are debs or South Americans. He likes a touch of craziness in his female friends, but you can’t say, ‘Ah! There’s an Imran Khan type.’ But he liked mixing in the upper echelons of society in London.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0f4dfe60-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

Khan with Julia Verdin and Caroline Kellett in 1987
After more than two decades of political campaigning Khan claimed victory in Pakistan’s elections last Thursday, but during the 1980s and 1990s he enjoyed an entirely different sort of party activism. Khan was the handsome trophy that every high-society hostess sought to put on display — and the world’s most eligible bachelor made the most of it. “No man looks as devastating as Imran,” the model Marie Helvin said. “Everyone falls for him. He has a scent that is very attractive to women.”

His aroma was accentuated by his abhorrence of strong smells and of tobacco and alcohol. Unlike Best, Khan eschewed the champagne, while the girlfriends he had — up to and including Jemima Goldsmith — could be defined by their breeding and appearance. Still, one or two would end up being labelled by the tabloids “mystery blondes”, the shorthand employed when a red-top picture desk could not put a name to a fleeting face.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd6b501a2-91ae-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With the Marquis of Worcester and an unidentified woman in 1987REX FEATURES
Emma Sergeant, the one woman he truly loved before his first marriage, is widely credited with introducing him into what was vaguely defined as society. The daughter of the eminent City journalist Patrick Sergeant, she was a dreamy, pre-Raphaelite beauty and a gifted artist. She knew not a jot about cricket. There is still a mention of her in just about every profile of Khan.

The credit for Khan’s initial straddling of east and west really belongs to Jonathan Orders, a Wykehamist and MCC committee man whose brother had known Khan at Oxford University. He had already introduced him to one woman he had invited back to Pakistan, Susie Murray-Philipson, before giving a dinner party in 1982, the year in which Khan first led his country in a Test series in England.

He was 29 and Orders had seen enough of Khan to know what sort of guests should be invited to his party. “If there were no pretty girls, his mind wandered. Emma was good-looking, but also attractive through being very talented,” he said. She was seven years his junior. That evening the two of them went on to a nightclub in London.

With Ivana Trump in 1990REX FEATURES
In Pakistan Khan had not been accustomed to so many women being in train. Mark Shand, the brother of the Duchess of Cornwall, remarked at the time: “It was as if he was in a candy shop at first.” His new flat in Draycott Avenue, Chelsea, was close to Sergeant’s studio, Kings Road and Tramp. He had found his milieu, a hub away from Worcester, which he found exceedingly dull, and Hove, where he had also played his county cricket.

Sergeant did not refer to her relationship with Khan as anything other than a friendship, so as not to embarrass him in Pakistan. She did not meet his mother when she visited the country in 1982: “It would have been very embarrassing for her and for Imran to meet me anywhere in their country,” she said. Shaukat Khanum’s advice to her son when he left for his first tour of England had been: “Don’t bring back a foreign wife.” She died before he did so.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1d146f16-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With Marie Helvin in 1991DAVID KOPPEL
This relationship, affected by the long separations that are a cricketer’s lot, came to an end in 1986. Sergeant reckoned at the time that Khan would have an arranged marriage and their cultural differences were irreconcilable. Much the same had been the case with Murray-Philipson. “He was charmingly bashful and flirtatious, but I didn’t know what to talk to him about and was not impressed with the whole Pakistan set-up,” she said. “I felt wholly out of place.”

The parties continued, not least with Jeffrey Archer. At a barbecue given in Fulham by Geoffrey Dean, The Times’s cricket writer, Khan could not disguise his boredom when the food took a long time to arrive. He and a female guest disappeared — to Dean’s bedroom. “Unlike people such as myself who give the lot at a party, sparks and all, Imran does not perform,” Sergeant said. “His sense of dignity is such that he does not feel he has to make an effort with strangers.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F28adcc28-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With “a mystery blonde” in 1992A & A NEWS
Khan states now, not altogether convincingly, that he recalls little of his so-called playboy past. Others do not forget him. He made an entry into cocktail parties “with his back straight instead of scuttling in and fiffling and faffling around”, as his friend Sarah Crawley put it. Lulu Blacker, a friend of the Duchess of York’s, was another woman invited to Pakistan. “He loves his posh friends,” she said. “He is a little bit of a snob. Imran did become cocky for a time since girls were throwing themselves at his feet, but his real friends would not take any rubbish from him. I certainly don’t look up to him.”

Susannah Constantine met Khan through Blacker before she became a familiar face on television. She became his girlfriend when she was 27, initially trying to keep the relationship secret — although that was hardly possible given that Nigel Dempster, the leading gossip columnist of the day, was at the table next to them in Tramp. She took Khan partridge shooting at Longford Castle near Salisbury, where he appeared in jeans and gym shoes and borrowed the Earl of Radnor’s gun.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3c596cf0-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With Susannah Constantine in 1989MIRRORPIX
“He also wore a hideous sweater with pheasants on it, which was the equivalent of turning up at Burleigh with pictures of horses on his clothing,” she said. “It went into the bin.” Given his peripatetic life, they drifted apart after a year. Marriage was never contemplated. Emma Gibbs, Constantine’s Australian flatmate, dealt with any pomposity in the Antipodean way. “The second time I met him I said, ‘God, how are you?’ He did laugh.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F56d36ac2-91af-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.jpg

With “a mystery blonde” in 1990DAVID KOPPEL
Julia Verdin, who was gossip column fodder at the time, appeared with Khan at a ball at the Hurlingham Club. Doone Murray, a former girlfriend of the Marquess of Blandford (now the Duke of Marlborough), was employed to do some administrative work for Khan and promptly fell for him. She disclosed her feelings to “a close friend” who in turn disclosed them to The People. “When we were together in his room the phone would keep ringing with girls desperate to meet him,” she said. Emily Todhunter, an ex-girlfriend of Taki, the Spectator columnist, went so far as to say in the 1990s that “a lot of women have been in love with Imran and he should aim to be a saint rather than prime minister”.

Tracy Worcester, who was married to the present Duke of Beaufort at the time, told Khan three decades ago that he should go into politics. He espoused her various causes. She gave a dinner party for him and the cricket-loving Harold Pinter and told him he should be prepared to put up with the risk of death to gain justice for his country. So he has, his playboy years in Kings Road and Tramp apparently erased from his memory — if not those of his numerous girlfriends.

Playboys who get religion in their later years are the most vitriolic kind.

Not saying Imran would be true to type, but I think the signs have been there for some time now.

Let's put it this way ... most of us see him as a smoother version of Miandad.

Cheers, Doc

Back
Top Bottom