What's new

The new war epic film is a masterpiece ''The battle at lake Changjin''

Indonesians hate Chinese no matter what and Chinese were massacred during the 1960s and 1980s. At the height of Hong Kong and Taiwanese film and music "cultural" power which dominated Asia before the rise of the Korean Wave, Chinese-Indonesians were treated like shit with the Chinese language banned and Chinese girls raped and murdered during pogroms. Chinese languaged films from Hong Kong and Chinese-language drama and ballads from Taiwan did nothing to change that fact.

It was the rise of the PRC trade and economy that finally led to some loosening of the cultural biases against Chinese Indonesians like being allowed to learn Chinese again.

No amount of "soft power" ever changed Indonesian view. It was the rise of the PRC economy that allowed even trade relations to happen and Chinese to be learned.

You ask any white person to name an Asian man in the movies and nine times out of ten times they would say Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Li.
Then china is doomed, because Indonesia is in a very strategic location in the world.

If you think tha because they hate us and do nothing, they will hate chinese like forever. The job of chinese propagandist is to turn the situation so they see china like a cute panda.

Then china is doomed, because Indonesia is in a very strategic location in the world.

If you think tha because they hate us and do nothing, they will hate chinese like forever. The job of chinese propagandist is to turn the situation so they see china like a cute panda.
I think a lot of the Chinese members here are probably socially inept geeks or something because they are completely ignorant about basic social dynamics

Why Korean didnt forgive Japan for their atrocity despite your so called Japanese influence reaching their doorstep? Tell me?
I think your so called influence are mainly lowlife section which can hardly influence the real decision making from top level. Tell me why Indonesia pick Chinese conglomerate for the HSR instead of Japan? Tell me why Indonesia didnt stand on US side when dealing with China?
About jakarta bandung hsr, it is actually a target of hatred. Specially from the aopposition. They argue tha china bribe a corrupt minister to get the project. And the project itself is politically under attack as the budget jump to more expensive than what japanese offer before.

The battle at Lake Changjin is a masterpiece movie and carefully made it touches on all the necessary elements such as the Americans being given a true depiction as dislikeable arrogant and also one thing I thought was unique about the movie is the level of intensity and this movie just goes from intensity to intensity and that was brillantly done.

You can even feel the amount of intensity in the trailer it just keeps increasing
A film made to fan nationalism. The hero’s faces and body are depicted in close details while the enemy has no face is depicted as evils. Only general Mc Arthur has a face is a human.
In short the movie is made for chinese audience.

A film made to fan nationalism. The hero’s faces and body are depicted in close details while the enemy has no face is depicted as evils. Only general Mc Arthur has a face is a human.
Who care. At least i feel related to this. So for me its way better than black hawk down and other american movie about the death of american ambassador in libya where middle easterns are killed like idiot. The only movie that can be compares this in my sense is indonesian movies like cut nyak dien. Bacause i can also feel related to that movie

Last edited:
Who care. At least i feel related to this. So for me its way better than black hawk down and other american movie about the death of american ambassador in libya where middle easterns are killed like idiot. The only movie that can be compares this in my sense is soedirman. Bacause i can also feel related to that movie
Ok if you like it then be it. The question whether or not you want to reach a larger audience than just domestic nationalists.
China can make good movies. Why not make something that non chinese viewers can watch it?

Indonesians hate Chinese no matter what and Chinese were massacred during the 1960s and 1980s. At the height of Hong Kong and Taiwanese film and music "cultural" power which dominated Asia before the rise of the Korean Wave, Chinese-Indonesians were treated like shit with the Chinese language banned and Chinese girls raped and murdered during pogroms. Chinese languaged films from Hong Kong and Chinese-language drama and ballads from Taiwan did nothing to change that fact.

It was the rise of the PRC trade and economy that finally led to some loosening of the cultural biases against Chinese Indonesians like being allowed to learn Chinese again.

No amount of "soft power" ever changed Indonesian view. It was the rise of the PRC economy that allowed even trade relations to happen and Chinese to be learned.

You ask any white person to name an Asian man in the movies and nine times out of ten times they would say Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Li.
No soft power would work when the state sponsors atrocity and hate against another state . Also,the HongKong /taiwan aren't really seen as chinese-chinese.
But they were never as effective as Korean LVL.

China isn't wrong in cultivating amiable relation with state,because that's detrimental,what's challenging public perspective toward china is the US funded shills and their media empire that are embedded in almost every nation of sea.CNBC,BBC etc has local language channels in India,Indonesia constantly pushing anti china narrative,does China has similar in Indonesia and every south east asian nation?That's on top of a plethora of local newlets funded by NED and journalist doing US's bidding.

CIA-NED is literally grooming politicians for hijacking Indonesian politics to suit US geopolitical agenda and be anti china.

1635920849056.png

What is China doing to contest that?

Though I think it's the weakness of Indonesia, that they allows CIA to infiltrate and meddle in the political system .

Last edited:
Ok if you like it then be it. The question whether or not you want to reach a larger audience than just domestic nationalists.
China can make good movies. Why not make something that non chinese viewers can watch it?

Now, how many Vietnam movies that non-Vietnam watch? How many German movies that non European watch? despite they are good, and even give the watcher a lot of inspiration. And why Hollywood movies are everywhere, although they're bad, and even a trash? That's the question, isn't it?

Do you think that German movies are bad? I doubt it. I'm sure that there are good German Movies. But I never watch them, or even find them anywhere in my country. But do you think Hollywood movies are good? They're actually every where, despite to be considered as a trash by Americans themselves.

No soft power would work when the state sponsors atrocity and hate against another state . Also,the HongKong /taiwan aren't really seen as chinese-chinese.
But they were never as effective as Korean LVL.

China isn't wrong in cultivating amiable relation with state,because that's detrimental,what's challenging public perspective toward china is the US funded shills and their media empire that are embedded in almost every nation of sea.CNBC,BBC etc has local language channels in India,Indonesia constantly pushing anti china narrative,does China has similar in Indonesia and every south east asian nation?That's on top of a plethora of local newlets funded by NED and journalist doing US's bidding.

CIA-NED is literally grooming politicians for hijacking Indonesian politics to suit US geopolitical agenda and be anti china.

View attachment 789797

What is China doing to contest that?

Though I think it's the weakness of Indonesia, that they allows CIA to infiltrate and meddle in the political system .

What is Chinese-Chinese? The films and music out of Hong Kong and Taiwan are in the Chinese language and are Chinese in aesthetics and culture. That is the crux of this cultural "soft power" and it had no real affect the fate of Chinese Indonesians. The rise of the PRC's economy was what changed things.

Agree with your second statement on American propaganda. But for China to match the US shrills everywhere is simply impossible until China gets richer. China needs to get wealthier so the weight of its market will eventually allow its firms to establish overseas.

The Chinese box office will eventually create enough wealth for Chinese cultural exports in the future.

These are the top grossing non-English films, they are OVERWHELMINGLY Chinese.

As I said earlier, you ask any American or even Westerner to name an Asian in movies and 90% will say Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Li.

What is Chinese-Chinese? The films and music out of Hong Kong and Taiwan are in the Chinese language and are Chinese in aesthetics and culture. That is the crux of this cultural "soft power" and it had no real affect the fate of Chinese Indonesians. The rise of the PRC's economy was what changed things.

Agree with your second statement on American propaganda. But for China to match the US shrills everywhere is simply impossible until China gets richer. China needs to get wealthier so the weight of its market will eventually allow its firms to establish overseas.

The Chinese box office will eventually create enough wealth for Chinese cultural exports in the future.

As I said earlier, you ask any American or even Westerner to name an Asian in movies and 90% will say Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Li.
The Cantonese movies and Taiwanese drama does sounds different and has different aesthetics,and that's positive aspect of China compared , its accent and aesthetics is more mainstream-friendly than Taiwanese or Cantonese of hongkong.Korean movie in satori accent will never hold the same aesthetics as their more mainstream accent does.

I like the Bruce Lee,Jackie Chan they are icons,everyone like them,but their appeal and influence is completely different than the special type of influence the Korean actors does in this day and age,the Bruce lee and Jackie Chan belong to an era where actors were made to entertain using any antics ,now the celebs in east Asia are vetted based on their ability to make people stan and shell money on them . Bruce Lee is larger than life character a legend in his own level bar none.Jackie Chan is everyone's favorite action hero that they grew up with.
I'm not denigrating any of them,I'm pointing out that things have changed,Jackie chan Bruce lee did the job required of them in the limitation of their era,but in modern world of today,there are almost perfection lvl celebs churned out by Korea .
I like Jackie Chan but he didn't help make Asians seen as hot & sexy as the Korean celebs do. Given a choice I'll take the later because ,Hollywood has always propagandized against asian,in every demeaning way,despite Jackie Chan & Bruce lee's popularity,they simply added the stereotype of weee0000000eeeaaahhh kungfoo .
Korean added the swoon factor,they helped people from all over the world that were blinded by crude western propaganda ,to open their eyes and see things in a more worldly way .

But that can also serve as negative,Chinese producers ,just like the Japanese, might lose the incentive to improve upon and cater to global audience ,and resort to cliche chinese stuff that only locals will consume due to cultural affinity rather than quality.
Meanwhile Korea, which believe ,to sustain their industry or to make big profit they have to cater toward bigger economies and global audience ,had kept refining themselves till they hit the right balance where Korean culture could be exported for global audiences.

Japanese movies produced in 30s and even under American occupation was much superior in narration, script and direction than Chinese mainstream movies ,so I don't believe boxoffice=/= quality.
It's the tradition and practice of artistry,effort ,and perfectionist mentality that matters. The squid games or parasite wasn't produce it thinking they will dominate oscars or netflix,they did honest work with no effort left from their side.Success takes on its own.
Incompetent production teams can always flounder millions on crappy work,regardless of box-office success.China has produced some jems,but China really have to overhaul the industry and invest in improving quality of screenwriter and directors. China produces stuff at a breakneck pace without much preparation,that has to change.

For me it's easier to read some philosophy books than construe a historical chinese drama or movie,bc it is so confusing and incoherent,this too boring. Chinese should go train in Korea or US and return than use local aesthetics to create a new style or create a new vetting system where only the best are given the opportunity. The Current style of Chinese movie /drama making will not match up to Hollywood or korean stuff. Chinese variety shows actually improved because they hired Korean directors,and it would be better of the expertise had also rubbed off.

Whatever this beijing film academy is ,it's reduced to soviet-style community theater talent-producing factory.It's vastly inferior to another east asian film academy.They should be ashamed at their lack of progress in producing talents.
But it's not easy with censorship breathing down their neck. China will never be able to create some of the highly sensitive and radical plot like Korean does .Idk,if parasite or a squid games, would have gotten green light for production in China,China even cracks down on drama like yanxi palace,one of the most successful drama in SEA.
So ,,better not take it as granted that magically chinese stuff with dominate Korean or Hollywood.

Last edited:
The Cantonese movies and Taiwanese drama does sounds different and has different aesthetics,and that's positive aspect of China compared , its accent and aesthetics is more mainstream-friendly than Taiwanese or Cantonese of hongkong.Korean movie in satori accent will never hold the same aesthetics as their more mainstream accent does.

I like the Bruce Lee,Jackie Chan they are icons,everyone like them,but their appeal and influence is completely different than the special type of influence the Korean actors does in this day and age,the Bruce lee and Jackie Chan belong to an era where actors were made to entertain using any antics ,now the celebs in east Asia are vetted based on their ability to make people stan and shell money on them . Bruce Lee is larger than life character a legend in his own level bar none.Jackie Chan is everyone's favorite action hero that they grew up with.
I'm not denigrating any of them,I'm pointing out that things have changed,Jackie chan Bruce lee did the job required of them in the limitation of their era,but in modern world of today,there are almost perfection lvl celebs churned out by Korea .
I like Jackie Chan but he didn't help make Asians seen as hot & sexy as the Korean celebs do. Given a choice I'll take the later because ,Hollywood has always propagandized against asian,in every demeaning way,despite Jackie Chan & Bruce lee's popularity,they simply added the stereotype of weee0000000eeeaaahhh kungfoo .
Korean added the swoon factor,they helped people from all over the world that were blinded by crude western propaganda ,to open their eyes and see things in a more worldly way .

But that can also serve as negative,Chinese producers ,just like the Japanese, might lose the incentive to improve upon and cater to global audience ,and resort to cliche chinese stuff that only locals will consume due to cultural affinity rather than quality.
Meanwhile Korea, which believe ,to sustain their industry or to make big profit they have to cater toward bigger economies and global audience ,had kept refining themselves till they hit the right balance where Korean culture could be exported for global audiences.

Japanese movies produced in 30s and even under American occupation was much superior in narration, script and direction than Chinese mainstream movies ,so I don't believe boxoffice=/= quality.
It's the tradition and practice of artistry,effort ,and perfectionist mentality that matters. The squid games or parasite didn't produced it thinking they will domate oscars or netflix,they did honest with nor effort left from their side.
Incompetent production teams can always flounder millions on crappy work,regardedless of box-office success.China has produced some jems,but China really have to overhaul the industry and invest in improving quality of screen writer and directors. China produces stuff at breakneck pace without much preparation,that has to change.

For me its easier to read some philosophy books than construe a historical chinese drama or movie,bc it is so confusing and incoherent,this too boring. Chinese should go train in Korea or US and return than use local aesthetics to create a new style or create a new vetting system where only the best are given the opportnity. The Current style of Chinese movie /drama making will not match up to Hollywood or korean stuff. Chinese variety shows actually improved because they hired korean directors,and it would better of the expertise had also rubbed off.

Whatever this beijing film academy is ,it's reduced to soviet style community theater talent producing factory.It's vastly inferior to other east asian film academy.They should be ashamed at their lack of progress in producing talents.
But it's not easy with censorship breathing down their neck. China will never be able to create some of the highly sensitive and radical plot like Korean does .Idk,if parasite or a squid games, would have gotten green light for production in China,China even cracks down on drama like yanxi palace,one of the most successful drama in SEA.
So ,,better not take it as granted that magically chinese stuff with dominate Korean or Hollywood.

Hong Kong films at their height matched what Korea has today if not more. Again, most Americans can't name a Korean actor but they know Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Bruce Lee is an icon.

But none of that helped Chinese Indonesians who as Overseas Chinese are closer to Taiwan and Hong Kong than mainland China.

There is no question that the polished Korean stuff has have great impact in Asian pop culture. But what is that actually worth?

You can find only one Korean film in the top non-English films of all time. Practically every other film in the list is Chinese. If the Korean impact is so great then why aren't a lot more people overseas watching their movies so their revenue grosses matches the Chinese ones?

1The Battle at Lake Changjin
film currently playing
长津湖MandarinChina$883 million2021[17]
2Wolf Warrior 2战狼2Mandarin[18][19][20]China$874 million2017[21]
3Hi, Mom你好,李焕英MandarinChina$848 million2021[22]
4Ne Zha哪吒之魔童降世MandarinChina$743 million2019[23]
5The Wandering Earth流浪地球MandarinChina$699 million2019[24]

29Parasite기생충KoreanSouth Korea$259 million2019[53]

All the stuff the Koreans are doing today are in many ways retreads of what Hong Kong and Taiwan did decades ago. Again, there is no Korean today more well known than Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.

Look at the Chinese films dominating the list I posted or the top grossing films in the world this year and I would bet on Chinese firms being far more important to global filmmaking than Korea or India in the coming years. The money from China is simply too overwhelming.

And the Chinese Box office also affects Hollywood, the largest global "soft power", because of its weight. There had not been an explicit anti-Chinese film from Hollywood studios in recent year (in spite of immense hostility from the US) because Hollywood wants access to that Chinese box office.

Last edited:
c
Hong Kong films at their height matched what Korea has today if not more. Again, most Americans can't name a Korean actor but they know Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Bruce Lee is an icon.

But none of that helped Chinese Indonesians who as Overseas Chinese are closer to Taiwan and Hong Kong than mainland China.

There is no question that the polished Korean stuff has have great impact in Asian pop culture. But what is that actually worth?

You can find only one Korean film in the top non-English films of all time. Practically every other film in the list is Chinese. If the Korean impact is so great then why aren't a lot more people overseas watching their movies so their revenue grosses matches the Chinese ones?

film currently playing

All the stuff the Koreans are doing today are in many ways retreads of what Hong Kong and Taiwan did decades ago. Again, there is no Korean today more well known than Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.

Look at the Chinese films dominating the list I posted or the top grossing films in the world this year and I would bet on Chinese firms being far more important to global filmmaking than Korea or India in the coming years. The money from China is simply too overwhelming.

And the Chinese Box office also affects Hollywood, the largest global "soft power", because of its weight. There had not been an explicit anti-Chinese film from Hollywood studios in recent year (in spite of immense hostility from the US) because Hollywood wants access to that Chinese box office.
Being popular =/= softpower , hongkong movies were popular but they was not as effective as korean in improving the image and appeal of their folk. Stakes are completely different now,as I said back then it was all about entertainment,not real softpower .
HK & Taiwan thrived because they were standalone,if their softpower is 5 the hallyu has 50,the stakes,quality and standard are completely different.HK taiwan never reached the distance hallyu reached.

It's not important who westerners knows,they know kim jung un too,what matters is what sort of image is impressed with the person they know.
1635946842817.png

I have said before softpower alone wouldnot work against state sponsored hate & atrocities,not that Chinese commanded softpower anywhere neat the lvl of Koreans does in indonesia now, but when Suharto was flaming anti chinese rhetoric,no softpower would have saved the chinese in such scenario.A koreaboo would not be as hostile to korea as a non koreaboo under typical circumstance,softpower isn't everything but it has its effect especially in geopolitics and online narrative.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the Chinese members here are probably socially inept geeks or something because they are completely ignorant about basic social dynamics
I don't blame them as I am also a socially inept geek. Instead, I blame China government that effectively prohibits everyone from self-organizing. In China, every social group that is beyond extended families is under close scrutiny by the government, except, maybe, in purely consumer categories. Over the years, most Chinese have lost the social skills for self-organizing. Everything has to be done with the directives from the government. It is like a pack of dogs that always rely on the alpha dog. Once we go abroad, we are lost. We don't know how to speak the language to touch others' hearts. We don't even know how to touch each other's heart. One of many reasons why we Chinese are so talented in technologies and yet Indians beat us in climbing corporate ladders in IT world.

And those in China only know how to repeat the government lines since they haven't learned to think for themselves. This kind of "soft power" is not to win people's hearts. It is just to shove government rhetoric down to people's throats and they are puzzled on why people don't love us even though we are rich.

Last edited:
I don't blame them as I am also a socially inept geek. Instead, I blame China government that effectively prohibits everyone from self-organizing. In China, every social group that is beyond extended families is under close scrutiny by the government. Over the years, most Chinese have lost the social skills for self-organizing. Everything has to be done with the directives from the government. It is like a pack of dogs that always rely on the alpha dog. Once we go abroad, we are lost. We don't know how to speak the language to touch others' hearts. We don't even know how to touch each other's heart. One of many reasons why we Chinese are so talented in technologies and yet Indians beat us in climbing corporate ladders in IT world.

And those in China only know how to repeat the government lines since they haven't learned to think for themselves. This kind of "soft power" is not to win people's hearts. It is just to shove government rhetoric down to people's throats and they are puzzled on why people don't love us even though we are rich.
I never heard any non-Chinese said that Chinese have communication problem. Most Chinese who live in US are not from China mainland. It is definitely not CCP's fault if they can not climb corporate ladder.

I never heard any non-Chinese said that Chinese have communication problem. Most Chinese who live in US are not from China mainland. It is definitely not CCP's fault if they can not climb corporate ladder.
Because Chinese people in China would not even be aware that the country has a huge deficit in its ability to communicate with other cultures and to win them over. Trust me, China’s continued inability to do this will make every goal ten times harder than it needs to be.

film currently playing

Chinese films are largely only watched by Chinese people. Hence they are useless when it comes to expanding China’s soft power and winning the country friends and countering the severe anti China hostility being spread by the Zionist regime.

You really don’t get it.

Back
Top Bottom