What's new

The Great Muslim Warriors

1.ahmed shah baba
2.khushal khan khattak
3.sallahudin ayubi
4.khalid bin walid
5.yusufzai khan
and last its our sher colnel sher khan shaheed he was also a true pakistani warrior he killed 20 indian soldier alone..mashallah.

1.ahmed shah baba
2.khushal khan khattak
3.sallahudin ayubi
4.khalid bin walid
5.yusufzai khan
and last its our sher colnel sher khan shaheed he was also a true pakistani warrior he killed 20 indian soldier alone..mashallah.

Ahmed Shah Baba or Ahmed Shah Abadali (later called Durr-e-Dauran) was no doubt a very able commander. He is however historically rated far below his master and employer Nadir Shah Afshaar of Iran.

Afghanistan as a country did not exist before Ahmad Shah Sadozai; his reverence among the Afghans is therefore understandable. However to rate as No.1 Muslim warrior specailly above Khalid bin Walid (RA) appears to be extreme.

Ahmad Shah’s initial promotion as Commander of the Adbali contingent was due to the fact that Nadir Shah was fighting Hussein Khan of the Ghilzai tribe who along with brother Mahmud Khan had plundered Iran. After Nadir Shah captured Kandhar from Hussein Khan in 1731, he expelled Ghilzais from Kandhar; their adversaries (Abdalis) were given Kandhar to live and one of their clan (Ahmed Shah) was made chief of the Abdali contingent. It is a pity that while a minor commander of Nadir Shah is listed, Nadir Shah is ignored.

For the record, Ahmad Shah probably fought more than two dozen campaigns is his life time; only two were against the Sikhs (1751) and Marhattas (1761); all others were against fellow Muslims. This includes capture of Herat from the Shah Rukh, grandson of Ahmed Shah’s benefactor Nadir Shah.

Inclusion of Khushal Khan Khattak is also strange. Khushal Khan is famous more for his poetry than his military prowess. To the best of my humble knowledge, his only campaign of note is when Pashtun clans led by Khushal Khan ambushed a Mughal army under Amir Khan, the Regional Governor in the Khyber Pass in 1672. However Emperor Aurangzeb quelled the rebellion a couple of years later. Khushal Khan died in 1689 without any additional action to his name.

This illustrates how subjective the list of great Muslim warriors can be.

Afghanistan as a country did not exist before Ahmad Shah Sadozai;

It existed and its name was Khurasan. Ahmad Shah Abdali himself belonged to a country called Khursan. Famous Mahmoud Ghaznavi also belonged to Khurasan.

It existed and its name was Khurasan. Ahmad Shah Abdali himself belonged to a country called Khursan. Famous Mahmoud Ghaznavi also belonged to Khurasan.

I think Greatest warrior of Islam will be who conquored hearts of people , Nazamudinaulia RA, Shams Tabrez RA,Baba fareed RA,Ali Hajwari RA,Baba Bakht Jamal RA of Jhagi Sareef(my grand grand father) .

Islam never spread with power of sword but power of love:smitten:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very interesting thread for people like myself who spend a lot of time in understanding Command and control (C2). A great general is the one who has deep understanding in the C2 principles and who is neither shy of executing these principles in the battle field.
By the way, the best way to find out a great general is to first look at his adversaries. Alexander the Great was tested at the Battle of Arbela which we still study at the war college.

Ahmed Shah Baba or Ahmed Shah Abadali (later called Durr-e-Dauran) was no doubt a very able commander. He is however historically rated far below his master and employer Nadir Shah Afshaar of Iran.

Afghanistan as a country did not exist before Ahmad Shah Sadozai; his reverence among the Afghans is therefore understandable. However to rate as No.1 Muslim warrior specailly above Khalid bin Walid (RA) appears to be extreme.

Ahmad Shah’s initial promotion as Commander of the Adbali contingent was due to the fact that Nadir Shah was fighting Hussein Khan of the Ghilzai tribe who along with brother Mahmud Khan had plundered Iran. After Nadir Shah captured Kandhar from Hussein Khan in 1731, he expelled Ghilzais from Kandhar; their adversaries (Abdalis) were given Kandhar to live and one of their clan (Ahmed Shah) was made chief of the Abdali contingent. It is a pity that while a minor commander of Nadir Shah is listed, Nadir Shah is ignored.

For the record, Ahmad Shah probably fought more than two dozen campaigns is his life time; only two were against the Sikhs (1751) and Marhattas (1761); all others were against fellow Muslims. This includes capture of Herat from the Shah Rukh, grandson of Ahmed Shah’s benefactor Nadir Shah.

Inclusion of Khushal Khan Khattak is also strange. Khushal Khan is famous more for his poetry than his military prowess. To the best of my humble knowledge, his only campaign of note is when Pashtun clans led by Khushal Khan ambushed a Mughal army under Amir Khan, the Regional Governor in the Khyber Pass in 1672. However Emperor Aurangzeb quelled the rebellion a couple of years later. Khushal Khan died in 1689 without any additional action to his name.

This illustrates how subjective the list of great Muslim warriors can be.

the history is right but if u can see the most powerfull nd undefeatable warriors in muslims they were pashtuns bcuz they fought with every super power of the world if its alexander or british empire or mughals mongols nd many more.snd still u can see pashtuns r fighting with superpowers with all westren powers.

the history is right but if u can see the most powerfull nd undefeatable warriors in muslims they were pashtuns bcuz they fought with every super power of the world if its alexander or british empire or mughals mongols nd many more.snd still u can see pashtuns r fighting with superpowers with all westren powers.

Jatt ruled Pushtoon (Raja Ranjeet Singh),its mean Jatt are super warrior nation.:lol:

I wonder what we mean by great MUSLIM WARRIOR? Fighting and going to other people's land and killing muslims/non muslims dont make them good people or good muslims, why should i like them just becuase they captured here and there? We need to only list those guys who have done some positive achievements, dont just give their names only, but mention their achievments too, so we all know what they have done? Secondly, there are many other great warriors who never knew about sword, but their pens conqured everywhere. For me the military muslim heros is Salahudin Ayubi who liberated Palestine. The non military heros are are: Alama Iqbal, Hafiz Shirazi, Saadi Shirazi, M.J.Mohammad Balkhi(Rumi), Ali Sina Balkhi etc.

lol sorry man pashtons r ruled by no one go back nd see the history.
pashtons defeated all jatts nd matts..

Ranjit Singh in order to further subdue the Afghanis ordered Hari Singh Nalwa and Prince Sher Singh to remain in North West Frontier province. He also ordered them to construct series of small forts all along the highway leading to Khyber pass. He correctly had assessed the importance of Khyber pass., and thus organized the defenses of his frontier with Kabul. Hari Singh Nalwa was given governorship of North West Frontier province which he ruled with firm hand. Even to this day, Afghanis remember Hari Singh Nalwa as "the only general who thoroughly defeated and humiliated them"

Battle of Naushera, opened gateway to NWFP

Haripur in Hazara Division in the North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan is named after him.

Nalwa had a number of conversations with British, French and German royalty, in which they conversed as equals. Baron Charles Hughart remembers him fondly in his memoirs on travelling through the Peshawar region, in which he was given a portrait of Nalwa from the man himself. Hari Singh Nalwa spoke, wrote and read Persian as well as the Indian languages, and was familiar with world politics, including details about the European states. If Nalwa had lived, many feel that the British would never have been able to hold or enter the Punjab. He beat the Afghans at Attock Fort and held Afghanistan, something which the British failed to do. As Sir Lepel Griffen states: "Hari Singh Nalwa, the man with the terror of whose name Afghan mothers used to quiet their fretful children..." As was often the case with his battles, he did so at the request of Hindus living in this region, for they prevailed upon him to free them from the religious tax imposed upon them by the Mughal rulers.

Hari Singh earned the name 'Nalwa' after he killed a tiger, as Baron Hugel, a European traveller writes in "Travels in Kashmir & the Punjab: " I surprised him by knowledge whence he had gained the appellation of Nalwa, and of his having cloven the head of a tiger, who had already seized him as its prey. He told the Diwan to bring some drawings and gave me his portrait, in the act of killing the beast."

Last edited by a moderator:
A great general is respected by his own a great warrior is respected even by his enemies that would have to go to Saladin.

Khurasan was a very loose term and it referred to all areas east of the land of Tus up to the Amu Darya; mainly eastern most provinces of Iran. Lands beyond the Amu Darya referred to as Turan. This was considered part of greater Iran and dynasties that ruled Iran after the Arab conquest such as Tahirids, Samanids, Ghaznavids originated from Khurasan. Mahmud of Ghazni was a Tajik as you are aware.

The land that is known as Afghanistan today of course existed since the dawn of times. Just as land which is now Pakistan always existed. But the name Pakistan did not exist before 1947.

What I meant was that the region in question was not called Afghanistan (Land of the Afghans). Even today many Tajiks claim that Pashtuns only constitute about 40% population of Afghanistan. There are a lot of Tajiks, Uzbecks, Hazaras, Turcoman etc who are natives of the region but the name is still Afghanistan which is because of Ahmad Shah Sadozai Durrani. Thus Pashtuns are thus quite right to honor and revere him. He was indeed a great man.

Ranjit Singh in order to further subdue the Afghanis ordered Hari Singh Nalwa and Prince Sher Singh to remain in North West Frontier province. He also ordered them to construct series of small forts all along the highway leading to Khyber pass. He correctly had assessed the importance of Khyber pass., and thus organized the defenses of his frontier with Kabul. Hari Singh Nalwa was given governorship of North West Frontier province which he ruled with firm hand. Even to this day, Afghanis remember Hari Singh Nalwa as "the only general who thoroughly defeated and humiliated them"

Battle of Naushera, opened gateway to NWFP

Haripur in Hazara Division in the North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan is named after him.

Nalwa had a number of conversations with British, French and German royalty, in which they conversed as equals. Baron Charles Hughart remembers him fondly in his memoirs on travelling through the Peshawar region, in which he was given a portrait of Nalwa from the man himself. Hari Singh Nalwa spoke, wrote and read Persian as well as the Indian languages, and was familiar with world politics, including details about the European states. If Nalwa had lived, many feel that the British would never have been able to hold or enter the Punjab. He beat the Afghans at Attock Fort and held Afghanistan, something which the British failed to do. As Sir Lepel Griffen states: "Hari Singh Nalwa, the man with the terror of whose name Afghan mothers used to quiet their fretful children..." As was often the case with his battles, he did so at the request of Hindus living in this region, for they prevailed upon him to free them from the religious tax imposed upon them by the Mughal rulers.

Hari Singh earned the name 'Nalwa' after he killed a tiger, as Baron Hugel, a European traveller writes in "Travels in Kashmir & the Punjab: " I surprised him by knowledge whence he had gained the appellation of Nalwa, and of his having cloven the head of a tiger, who had already seized him as its prey. He told the Diwan to bring some drawings and gave me his portrait, in the act of killing the beast."

he was in peshawar city he never fought with tribes bcuz he was scared nd yeah he also ran away like cowards with his army to hindustan...and bro afghan pukthons or pakistani pukhtons they hav a long history and they were never ruled or destroyed nd nawal singh never conquered pakhtons the real pukhtons not peshawari pukhtons...nd sing lost alot of wars from tribes who use to live in areas of waziristan swat nd mardan...

Khurasan was a very loose term and it referred to all areas east of the land of Tus up to the Amu Darya; mainly eastern most provinces of Iran. Lands beyond the Amu Darya referred to as Turan. This was considered part of greater Iran and dynasties that ruled Iran after the Arab conquest such as Tahirids, Samanids, Ghaznavids originated from Khurasan. Mahmud of Ghazni was a Tajik as you are aware.

Dear Niazi,

The area which is today Afghanistan and eastern part of Iran which was Khurasan had their independent strong governments especially after the emergence of the Safarids and before that the Tahirids, and then the Samanids and Ghaznavids ,and as you rightly mentioned all of these dynastis were tajiks, as a matter of fact the achievments and pride of afghanistan basically goes to this era of thier history. they controlled Iran, not the other way around, so i dont understand how they didnt have a name for that vast country while they had strong governmetns for that. i am tajik myself, but i personally not fond of Mahmoud because of indian invasions which we didnt need it, apart from that he had some brilliant achievments in literature/poetry promotion as well as establishing strong goverment which lasted many years to come.

The land that is known as Afghanistan today of course existed since the dawn of times. Just as land which is now Pakistan always existed. But the name Pakistan did not exist before 1947.

Yes, but afghanistan had a name for it.

What I meant was that the region in question was not called Afghanistan (Land of the Afghans). Even today many Tajiks claim that Pashtuns only constitute about 40% population of Afghanistan. There are a lot of Tajiks, Uzbecks, Hazaras, Turcoman etc who are natives of the region but the name is still Afghanistan which is because of Ahmad Shah Sadozai Durrani. Thus Pashtuns are thus quite right to honor and revere him. He was indeed a great man.

Tajiks are the natives of that country and their history goes quite long in the region as well as afghanistan. as you rightly said that the term afghan only represent the pashtoon side while it has nothing to do with 60% of the population. i personally dont care about the name things, even if they call it a peanut i wont be bothered as long as there is peace and prosperity, but it is an issue to alot of other people and this name has sadly caused alot of problems. the name afghanistan mainly came into emergence during Amanullah khan Shah Shuja, during Shah Shuja time the british in their letters intentionally replaced the term khurasan to afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom