What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

Step 1 : sale all you can to the west
Step 2 : create alliance and complain against the west

Logic = 0

Anyway, congratulations to China

The west is not a single entity. It refers to a collection of countries with conflicting agendas. For example, China does way more business with EU than USA and EU has no conflict with China in pacific.

Also, just because you are rivals doesn't mean you can't do business with each other. In fact, being as strong as your rival is one of the easiest way to get into a better business position ever since cross border trade has been developed.

Win-win situation for sure. This not only creates jobs, but the clean energy will also help alleviate China's environment burden. This 30 year deal is definitely a strong back for China's long term goal. This deal tied both countries together. A military and economy alliance between China and Russia is formed.

The Russians are not friends of China and never have been. They are one of the 8 nation alliance who descended on the dying Qing and imposed their unequal treaties.

Pay for the gas but have no illusion that the Russians are allies of China.

Think of China, Russia & US relation as that of three kingdoms. Right now China & Russia needs each other to counter balance the US, but do expect Russia to turn against China if China become the more dominating player of the 3. International relationship is about interests & power balance, and I don't believe Chinese leaders are naive.

The Russian far east used to belong to the Imperial Qing. We have fallen so far, paying for gas from lands we used to own.

Imagine if the Qing dynasty did not cause its own decay!

Spilled milk I know, but it is so bitter to look at what might have been.

lool well most countries in the world have more or less lost some lands, By your reasoning, India should be unified back with pakistan,sri lanka and bengladesh, the kurils should be returned to japan, mexico should retake california and new mexico, most subsaharan african countries should be reunited, Ireland should come back to the U.K, the soviet union should retake back all central and eastern european countries that were once part of the U.S.S.R, Russia should retake Alaska, paraguay should retake back half of its territory lost to Brazil and Argentina, Bolivia should also retake most of its territory lost to paraguay, germany should retake its territory lost to Poland, and poland to U.S.S.R, i can go on and on. But the point i'm trying to make is that humans are/will never be satified. we will always want more, even if China still had the russian far east, then it will still wish/want to have more land(say mongolia back or ryuku islands/okinawa etc.). Same with Britain wishing they still had their empire, or India wishing they were still united with \Pakistan/bengladesh/sri lanka etc. Countries territories will always change with time(witnessed the recent example of north and south soudan or Crimea). In say 50 or 100 years from now im sure the world territories will be very different from present, some will loose land other will gain. that is life/nature and we have to live with it.

(On another note: I still wish we still had Hong kong and Australia under the U.K.:D:P)

Think of China, Russia & US relation as that of three kingdoms. Right now China & Russia needs each other to counter balance the US, but do expect Russia to turn against China if China become the more dominating player of the 3. International relationship is about interests & power balance, and I don't believe Chinese leaders are naive.

China is not the US who is busy trying to cause trouble at Russia's doorsteps. Georgia/Ukraine/missile shield Do i need to say more?

China is not the US who is busy trying to cause trouble at Russia's doorsteps. Georgia/Ukraine/missile shield Do i need to say more?

Yes, China is unlikely to cause trouble for Russia, but if and when China becomes too powerful, it is inevitable that US will try to reaproach the Russians, and Russia by then would find it in their interest to counter-balance China. Nothing is impossible, but having two powerful states co-exist peacefully next to each other without the presence of a threat from a third party is rather unlikely.

The Russian far east used to belong to the Imperial Qing. We have fallen so far, paying for gas from lands we used to own.

Imagine if the Qing dynasty did not cause its own decay!

Spilled milk I know, but it is so bitter to look at what might have been.
gas3.7.jpg

Quing empire never had access to east Siberian reserves

Qing_Dynasty_1820.png

Yes, China is unlikely to cause trouble for Russia, but if and when China becomes too powerful, it is inevitable that US will try to reaproach the Russians, and Russia by then would find it in their interest to counter-balance China. Nothing is impossible, but having two powerful states co-exist peacefully next to each other without the presence of a threat from a third party is rather unlikely.

The US is on the other side of the Ocean, Russia and China are neighbours. The US shall always be a threat to Russia and China, after the fall of USSR thanks to Gorbachev look how things went between US and Russia under Yeltsin? While Yeltsin was pro West just like that Gorbachev the US and the NATO took down Yugoslavia who was a Russian ally. We can only hope future Russian leaders won't forget this. China surpassing the US economy is a good thing even to Russia, because that means we can have more deals with Russia. Who is also gonna benefit from a rising China? Russia ofcourse just look at the gas deal we just signed with them. This deal alone could weather off sanctions if EU wants to follow Sam's orders. A rising China and Russia is good for peace and the western hegemony.

The US is on the other side of the Ocean, Russia and China are neighbours. The US shall always be a threat to Russia and China, after the fall of USSR thanks to Gorbachev look how things went between US and Russia under Yeltsin? While Yeltsin was pro West just like that Gorbachev the US and the NATO took down Yugoslavia who was a Russian ally. We can only hope future Russian leaders won't forget this. China surpassing the US economy is a good thing even to Russia, because that means we can have more deals with Russia. Who is also gonna benefit from a rising China? Russia ofcourse just look at the gas deal we just signed with them. This deal alone could weather off sanctions if EU wants to follow Sam's orders. A rising China and Russia is good for peace and weaken the western hegemony.

Last edited:
Just tell Mongolians to leave their barren land and come live in Inner Mongolia, which is very rich. Inner Mongolia is about 20m inhabitants while outer Mongolia is only 3m...I feel like China is not ambitious enough Lol. Just look at all the resources Mongolia has...

Back
Top Bottom