What's new

Italy intends to leave China’s Belt and Road Initiative, defense minister says

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam

Rome seeks to exit the BRI ‘without doing damage’ to its relationship with Beijing, defense chief Guido Crosetto tells Corriere della Sera.
HUNGARY-SERBIA-CHINA-BORDER-RAILWAY

Italy became the first G7 country to join China’s global infrastructure program to the surprise of allies in the West | Attila Kisbenedek/AFP via Getty Images

Italy intends to leave the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) "without doing damage" to its relationship with Beijing, Italian Defense Minister Guido Crosetto said.

"The issue today is: how to walk back [from the BRI] without damaging relations" with Beijing, Crosetto said in an interview with Corriere della Sera. "Because it is true that China is a competitor, but it is also a partner."

In May, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the country could enjoy good relations with China even without being part of Beijing’s controversial infrastructure initiative. Crosetto's comments are the first confirmation of Italy's intention to leave the Chinese program.

"The choice to join the Silk Road was an improvised and wicked act, made by the government of Giuseppe Conte, which led to a double negative result. We exported a load of oranges to China, they tripled exports to Italy in three years," said Crosetto in the interview.

In 2019, Italy became the first G7 country to join China’s global infrastructure program to the surprise of allies in the West.

Critics noted that Rome’s decision to enter the Beijing initiative did not improve its trade deficit with China. Chinese exports to Italy increased 51 percent from 2019 to 2022, while China's imports from the EU country rose by 26 percent during the same years, according to Italy’s Trade Agency.

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire, meanwhile, said France wants better access to the Chinese market and a more "balanced" trade relationship, not a "decoupling."

"We don't want to face some legislative hurdles or some other barriers to get access to the Chinese markets," Le Maire told a press conference in Beijing a day after what he called "constructive" trade talks with Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng.

The main problem with China foreign policy is not understanding each country unique problems and situation.

Not all countries are like China and not all people are like Chinese.

You can't just simply build a road and suddenly their GDP is exploding. Because they are different people, have different cultures.

You borrow them money and suddenly their GDP is exploding. It's not going to happen, what will happen instead, aid becomes a trap.

And many times, even if you let them decide what they are going to do with the aid to solve their problems... it's not solving their problems.

There are reasons why poor countries stay poor, if they are destined to be prosperous, it's already happened a long time ago.

Last edited:
Italians complain that France can have big order of Airbus planes but Italy can only increase export of oranges to China, why then doesn't Italy make some high value products like Airbus planes that China needs ?

Italians complain that France can have big order of Airbus planes but Italy can only increase export of oranges to China, why then doesn't Italy make some high value products like Airbus planes that China needs ?
Airbus is getting some of their biggest orders from India not China lol 😆

Airbus is getting some of their biggest orders from India not China lol 😆

Good for you, so is Airbus going to open a factory in India as it did in China years ago since your country has became such a big market for them ?

"The choice to join the Silk Road was an improvised and wicked act, made by the government of Giuseppe Conte, which led to a double negative result. We exported a load of oranges to China, they tripled exports to Italy in three years," said Crosetto in the interview.
There you have it. BRI, or destroy your local industry with the help of cheap imports from China.

ROME (Reuters) - Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni outlined Italy's plan to pull out of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) during a meeting with Chinese Premier Li Qiang at the G20 summit, Italian media reported on Sunday.

Italy, seeking to minimise any backlash from the decision from Beijing, would as a replacement aim to revitalise a strategic partnership agreement with China, aimed at fostering economic cooperation, it first signed in 2004.

Italy is the only G7 nation to sign up to the BRI, a global trade and infrastructure plan modelled on the old Silk Road that linked imperial China and the West.

"The prime minister (Meloni) communicated the intention to quit the project to her counterpart," the Corriere della Sera daily reported, saying Premier Li had made a last attempt to persuade the Italians to rethink.

There you have it. BRI, or destroy your local industry with the help of cheap imports from China.

The statement is more political rather than fact.

BRI is a worldwide connectivity.

Farmer can sell their products to the city and world market because they are connected by road. They can even sell cheaper because of efficiency in transportation.

A land locked country like those in Central Asia can sell their products worldwide.

It also improved people's living standard, as they can get whatever product they want to buy from all over the world.

I still remember decades ago, it was so hard to buy anything I wanted. I want to buy the latest earphone from Sony, unless me go to Japan by myself. But now everything is available. I just need to open my phone and the price is not so much different to those sold in other countries.

I don't know about India, but I can do it easily in Indonesia.

Cheap import from China, Japan, USA, Europe, etc. All of them.

I can even create my own EV brand, import EV components from China, Japan, South Korea, etc... and boom, I have my own EV brand. In Indonesia we have tens of local EV brands.

Last edited:

Farmer can sell their products to the city and world market because they are connected by road. They can even sell cheaper because of efficiency in transportation.

A land locked country like those in Central Asia can sell their products worldwide.

It also improved people's living standard, as they can get whatever product they want to buy from all over the world.

I still remember decades ago, it was so hard to buy anything I wanted. I want to buy the latest earphone from Sony, unless me go to Japan by myself. But now everything is available. I just need to open my phone and the price is not so much different to those sold in other countries.

I don't know about India, but I can do it easily in Indonesia.

Cheap import from China, Japan, USA, Europe, etc. All of them.

I can even create your own EV brand, import EV components from China, Japan, South Korea, etc... and boom, I have my own EV brand. In Indonesia we have tens of EV brands.
BRI or silkroad is a financial scam. The infra is built by money, workers, materials, everything from China. White elephants in the landscape.
Montenegro has now a beautiful Chinese built highway.
Cost: 1 billion dollars
The fees earned from the highway is lower than the interests they have to pay to China.
Montenegro GDP is $5 billion. The country is finished.

You make it sound like world is not connected, the world is not spending any money on connectivity

BRI is a scam for inflated projects awarded to Chinese companies often on loans from China on inflated financial terms

BRI or silkroad is a financial scam. The infra is built by money, workers, materials, everything from China. White elephants in the landscape.
Montenegro has now a beautiful Chinese built highway. The fees earned from the highway is lower than the interests they have to pay to China.
Montenegro is finished.

It's Montenegro decision to build unnecessary infrastructure.

And in Indonesia, we only use Chinese experts on advanced project that we lack of experience, the rest of it done by local companies and workers.

It's Montenegro decision to build unnecessary infrastructure.

And in Indonesia, we only use Chinese experts on advanced project that we lack of experience, the rest of it done by local companies and workers.
It’s economic suicide they do that though because they get red envelopes and believe to chinese propaganda shits. 90 percent of those recipients can’t afford chinese infrastructures. That’s impossible for them to pay back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom