What's new

The effectiveness of Bayraktar tb2 drones in Karabakh war

The effectiveness of Bayraktar TB2 drones against the Russian Army? You want to make a thread about that?
no need for new thread we continue from here

Bayraktar making history in Ukraine

How are the mighty Bayraktars doing in ukraine?
they kick *** all over the place

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think the Pak Army will mirror the TB2 as much as possible now via the Shahpar-2 (a very comparable design).

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me now if the PA massively steps up MALE UAV acquisitions to fill out a lot of its CAS coverage needs. There'll probably be a Shahpar-2/TB2 unit posted to each key engagement point on the Eastern front IMHO.
The question that keeps me up at night is what is the counter to such a system. We can't expect the opponent to not see the same things that we see.

As a counter, you want an air defense option that can detect and engage out to 40 km at 6 km altitude for less than a million dollars per successful shot. I don't know what this system looks like. Before anyone says Pantsir - obviously this system does not meet the aforementioned parameters. The challenges are two-fold:
  1. Detection of a small target at ranges out to 40-50 km without needing a huge power-hungry radar. Perhaps some kind of modern AESA solution. I don't know. You also need to track at those ranges. Tracking and detection are pretty different things, obviously.
  2. Destroying the target at that range. Missile? Lasers? Rocket-Jet hybrid cheap missile something? I don't know.

The question that keeps me up at night is what is the counter to such a system. We can't expect the opponent to not see the same things that we see.

As a counter, you want an air defense option that can detect and engage out to 40 km at 6 km altitude for less than a million dollars per successful shot. I don't know what this system looks like. Before anyone says Pantsir - obviously this system does not meet the aforementioned parameters. The challenges are two-fold:
  1. Detection of a small target at ranges out to 40-50 km without needing a huge power-hungry radar. Perhaps some kind of modern AESA solution. I don't know. You also need to track at those ranges. Tracking and detection are pretty different things, obviously.
  2. Destroying the target at that range. Missile? Lasers? Rocket-Jet hybrid cheap missile something? I don't know.
The solution might not only involve anti-drone systems, but a rethinking of how you employ armour to begin with.

I think the days of 'amassing' armour or artillery are long gone. Even before the TB2 drone became a thing, you had the challenge of the CBU-105 and BLU-108 Sensor-Fuzed Weapon (SFW). The TB2 just took the idea one step further.

You're likely going to disperse armour more and, in turn, bank on the individual strike capability of each tank. In turn, you can equip the tank with hard-kill APS to thwart or stop the TB2's miniature munitions.

Alternatively, you might not employ tanks or any mass ground formations until you achieve both air superiority and electromagnetic control. For the latter, you'd need a very robust, area-wide comms jamming capacity to dampen RPV connectivity. But it's fundamentally a temporary fix because autonomous UAVs will be a thing.

Alternatively-alternatively, you forget about capturing and trading territory. Rather, you now focus your warfighting on critical points like destroying or capturing ports, powerplants, airports, railways, etc. In a way, you're abstracting the direct presence of war while retaining its impact (e.g., you won't occupy cities, but cities could lose electricity, clean water, etc due to your actions).

IMO if you move into the alt-alt scenario (where it's about taking out critical points), then the threshold of achieving it drastically drops. It doesn't take much for either India or Pakistan to pull it off as it's a question of drones, stand-off weapons, SOF, etc, which both can field in ample numbers.

okay this is my idea ,
1646081607086.png

A heavily armed prop with side mounted radar or jammer with 6X.50 Cals and A2A missiles as optional

Whatever be the case , the TB-2 has proven to be a battle-tested and Formidable combat system. Will be a great addition to BD arsenal :D

okay this is my idea ,
View attachment 819639

A heavily armed prop with side mounted radar or jammer with 6X.50 Cals and A2A missiles as optional

Whatever be the case , the TB-2 has proven to be a battle-tested and Formidable combat system. Will be a great addition to BD arsenal :D
Why not a Super Tucano? Why that one? Lol

okay this is my idea ,
View attachment 819639

You can't fit/power a big enough radar. You need quite a lot of infrastructure to launch, operate, and recover a manned aircraft. It will be very slow to react. You will require that some aircraft are kept flying for combat air patrol against drones. All of these will probably make this a complicated and expensive option. Also your aircraft are juicy targets for the enemy.

You can't fit/power a big enough radar.
What about GCI though ? or install some passive sensor like RWR that can detect and triangulate electronic emission from drones ? playing the :devil: advocate here !

Why not a Super Tucano? Why that one? Lol
just a representation. old school props will make a comeback one day !

Also your aircraft are juicy targets for the enemy.
maybe deploy these props to secure supply lines. Backed up the fighter CAPs that were meant to be there anyway ? idk i'm just rambling here

Ngl but seeing the TB2 doing work in NK 2020 and seeing its work in Rus-Ukr 2022 is making me even more happier with Pakistan's purchase of these drones.

Back
Top Bottom