What's new

Ten Pakistani Universities Ranked Among Top 300 in Asia in 2014

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Haq's Musings: 2014 QS Rankings: 10 Pakistani Universities Among Asia's Top 300

QS World University Rankings 2014 announcement lists 10 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 300.

South Asian institutions featuring on this list include 17 from India, 10 from Pakistan and 1 each from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The list is topped by Singapore with its National University at #1 and includes Singapore's Nanyang Technical University at #7. It is dominated by 58 universities from China (including 7 in Hong Kong and 1 in Macao), 50 from Japan, 47 from South Korea and 28 from Taiwan. Other nations represented with universities among top 300 in Asia are: Malaysia (17), Thailand (10), Indonesia (9), Philippines (5), Vietnam (3) and Brunei (1).

Pakistani Universities Among Top 300 Asian Universities (Source: QS World Rankings)

Pakistani universities on the list are: Pakistan Inst of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS) at 106, Aga Khan University (AKU) at 116, Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU)at 123 National University of Sciences and Trechnology (NUST) at 129, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) at 180-190, COMSATS Institute of Technology at 201-250, Karachi University (KU) at 201-250, Punjab University (PU) at 201-250, University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF) at 251-300 and University of Engineering Technology (UET) Lahore at 251-300.

Rise in international rankings of Pakistani universities began during Musharraf years when the annual budget for higher education increased from only Rs 500 million in 2000 to Rs 28 billion in 2008, to lay the foundations of the development of a strong knowledge economy, according to former education minister Dr. Ata ur Rehman. Student enrollment in universities increased from 270,000 to 900,000 and the number of universities and degree awarding institutions increased from 57 in 2000 to 137 by 2008. Government R&D spending jumped seven-fold from 0.1% of GDP in 1999 to 0.7% of GDP in 2007.

Haq's Musings: 2014 QS Rankings: 10 Pakistani Universities Among Asia's Top 300

I hope that Pakistani's continue to have access to excellent education - and i dearly wish that parents start prioritising education again.

True story: During my school years, I used to work at a market stall for my dad's good friend a wonderful Pakistani gent Sarfraz Uncle. He was a great man, loud, outspoken, quick to anger and very sharp. He was rich too - he had a coat factory and at the market he sold his own coats direct to the public.

When i hit 16 and school was no longer compulsory for me in the UK, i heard uncle tell my dad, 'abhi kaam pe lagado warna bachcha khraab ho jayega' (something like that)... thank God my dad was very strong willed too and he pushed me and my brothers through university (while also demanding we work and earn for ourselves).

100% true, I am sorry to say that some years later the factory industry in London collapsed. All the factories closed down and Uncle's 3 sons, who used to work in the factory since they were kids all ended up out of work. Uncle lost most of his money and ultimately the family broke up. I often think of him and the boys because they were some of the best amongst us and wonder what a waste it all was. Skills change, technology changes, strength diminishes but education stays with you.

ps. I beg your pardon if things have changed drastically since then (at that time almost none of my East London Pakistani friends went to higher education).

Last edited:
I hope that Pakistani's continue to have access to excellent education - and i dearly wish that parents start prioritising education again.

True story: During my school years, I used to work at a market stall for my dad's good friend a wonderful Pakistani gent Sarfraz Uncle. He was a great man, loud, outspoken, quick to anger and very sharp. He was rich too - he had a coat factory and at the market he sold his own coats direct to the public.

When i hit 16 and school was no longer compulsory for me in the UK, i heard uncle tell my dad, 'abhi kaam pe lagado warna bachcha khraab ho jayega' (something like that)... thank God my dad was very strong willed too and he pushed me and my brothers through university (while also demanding we work and earn for ourselves).

100% true, I am sorry to say that some years later the factory industry in London collapsed. All the factories closed down and Uncle's 3 sons, who used to work in the factory since they were kids all ended up out of work. Uncle lost most of his money and ultimately the family broke up. I often think of him and the boys because they were some of the best amongst us and wonder what a waste it all was. Skills change, technology changes, strength diminishes but education stays with you.

ps. I beg your pardon if things have changed drastically since then (at that time almost none of my East London Pakistani friends went to higher education).

different places, different circumstances so different life styles people pursue
your uncle must have gone to UK without or without education, even with Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi education ones might find it hard to find work so he started in factory worked his way up to be an owner of his own factory. Since that was his success story he wanted his kids to pursue the same path...unfortunately things dont stay the same.

I lived in US and Canada for last 25 years, mostly met Pakistani with higher education and next generation is even doing better.
I know a Pakistani guy who started as factory worker in automobile industry, invented and patented his product, became billionaire and own Jacksonville FL football team, he is glad he didnt waste his time getting a PHD.

We indeed have to thank Musharaf for that. before him no one payed any attention. Also for free media, Mushy thank you.

And also for current energy crisis....lol

50 University from Japan & 47 from Korea, wow.. these both states are pretty small yet grooming very fast. If our kids get same education then i guess we can beat any country.

being 4th generation of educated family (& 2nd for masters) i am expecting much out of my son, if this progress continues.

We indeed have to thank Musharaf for that. before him no one payed any attention. Also for free media, Mushy thank you.

And also for current energy crisis....lol

Yet even today Pakistan can produce surplus energy!

Kia bolun ap jaise logon ke baare mei, sheep following sheep! The energy crisis that we face today is because of the inability of the Government to finance the production of electricity rather then the generation itself. Is it not a wonder to you that the whole country gets uninterrupted electricity for 3 days on the orders of PM? Where were we getting all that electricity from then?

different places, different circumstances so different life styles people pursue
your uncle must have gone to UK without or without education, even with Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi education ones might find it hard to find work so he started in factory worked his way up to be an owner of his own factory. Since that was his success story he wanted his kids to pursue the same path...unfortunately things dont stay the same.

I lived in US and Canada for last 25 years, mostly met Pakistani with higher education and next generation is even doing better.
I know a Pakistani guy who started as factory worker in automobile industry, invented and patented his product, became billionaire and own Jacksonville FL football team, he is glad he didnt waste his time getting a PHD.

Of course, you are probably right, London was an oppressive place in those days and people stuck to what was working for them.

But I'm a big believer that it is not too much to ask for it all from the next generation. They should work and help their family, and they should study at the same time too. Millions of people in Pakistan, BD and India do that daily so it's achievable. With the positive encouragement of parents it is so much easier.

You mean Lahoris? I would agree in that case.
she meant the uni not Lahoriites:no::nono:
smileys-yes-and-no-364101.gif
smileys-yes-and-no-179998.gif

Back
Top Bottom