What's new

Syrian Capabilities

sigatoka

Reaction score
I think it would be a good time to discuss Syria's military capabilties vis-a-vis Israel because it appears that there is a good chance of conflict between the two.

The Syrian military has around 300,000 personel of which at least 100,000 are volunteers. It has around 1,000 T-72 and large quantities of fixed artillery. It also has around 1,000 BMP-1 and 300 BMP-2. It airforce is completely outdated but it's planes will only be flown deep in Syrian territory with heavy SAM presence.

Israel bombing Syria will be a large escalation of the conflict. (Syria isnt going to launch an armoured assault; it simply lacks the capability) I think Israel can even come out on top without a full mobilisation like it has always done in the past. It will suffer at least 50 military casualties but no more than 200.

master_fx said:
Syrian= crappy air force... (remember how germans lost?)

Yeah without good AF they are nothing, its just simply hard to defend. They may be able to cope or resist against ground forces, but what about air-defence. A single air raid could do a alot of damage.

There is also a Russian base in Syria. Russian ships have reached the base and Iranian ships joining soon.

If it was a sole war against Syria and Israel alone, Syria may be able to take down a few planes, and blow up a few tanks.

That's about it.

Israel would win hands down.

While Syria is certainly heavily outmatched by Israel's military strength, I don't think Israel would be able to invade all of Syria. Israel simply does not have the military size to fight a protracted war on enemy territory. The more important question is wether Israel would be able to overrun Damascus.

While the terrain in Syria is not quite as good, the loss that Israel suffered in the hands of Hezbollah in 2006 indicates that Syria might well be able to hold off against an Israeli attack on Damascus, or at least inflict severe casualties on the Israeli attack.

In an Israeli-Syrian conflict, there will be a slaughter of Syrian Forces. Not only their equipment is antiquated, their pilots stink. In 1967, the only Syrian aircrafts that shot down few Israeli planes were flown by Pakistani pilots. Syrians are not known for their fighting skills.

While Syria is certainly heavily outmatched by Israel's military strength, I don't think Israel would be able to invade all of Syria. Israel simply does not have the military size to fight a protracted war on enemy territory. The more important question is wether Israel would be able to overrun Damascus.

While the terrain in Syria is not quite as good, the loss that Israel suffered in the hands of Hezbollah in 2006 indicates that Syria might well be able to hold off against an Israeli attack on Damascus, or at least inflict severe casualties on the Israeli attack.

Its said that Israel not even used 10% of their military strength against Hezbollah..it was a non-symmetrical war much like what Americans are doing in AF. The Syrian offensive , if it happens, will be a military to military conflict and Syria may match Israel for quantity but in quality..no chance Israel wins hands down. Also don't forget that Syrian Army is now highly factionalized. Most of the Free Syrian Army are former soldiers. There is a chance that many Syrian soldiers will simply desert as they will see this as a good chance to topple the regime.

Its said that Israel not even used 10% of their military strength against Hezbollah..it was a non-symmetrical war much like what Americans are doing in AF. The Syrian offensive , if it happens, will be a military to military conflict and Syria may match Israel for quantity but in quality..no chance Israel wins hands down. Also don't forget that Syrian Army is now highly factionalized. Most of the Free Syrian Army are former soldiers. There is a chance that many Syrian soldiers will simply desert as they will see this as a good chance to topple the regime.

Israel used up its stock of precision munitions against Hezbollah and had to get replacements from America after the first week of fighting. They then sent in about 15,000 forces where they failed to defeat the 3000 strong Nasir Brigade. They suffered 120 casualties against about 200 Hezbollah fighters. And contrary to misconceptions, Hezbollah fought a conventional war, engaging the IDF in the countryside and fighting tactically for every acre of terrain. As for the Free Syrian army, it consists of about 1,000 former soldiers, along with a bunch of foreign Al Qaeda and similar fighters and other indigenous fighters trained by Turkey and the Gulf Countries. Nearly the entire Syrian army is still loyal to Assad. An Israeli invasion would simply unite the Syrians against Israel.

Of course, given the historical failures of the Syrian army, it's still an open question as to wether it has made the careful war planning that Hezbollah had, and wether it will be able to fight such a coordinated and sophisticated campaign as Hezbollah did. But it's certainly wrong to say that Syria would simply collapse without a fight against an Israeli invasion.

Why would Israel fight Syria?? Assad is already killing all the Syrian population for them.

Because Syria didn't kneel down like your king did :P
Let you خادم الحمرمين يعني ايضا القدس Say ONE WORD ABOUT القدس
ya just be quiet next time.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

IF ANY ONE CAN NAME ME A NATION CAN BEAT ISRAEL, ya that's what i thought.
Even U.S can't beat Israel, because Israel controls U.S. enough said.
At least Syria is resisting, and will never kneel down like the Gulf Countries.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

SA didn't kneel to Israel. They are pragmatic about their diplomatic relation. Isreal doesn't want any enmity with SA. SA is just returning the favour.

Yeah without good AF they are nothing, its just simply hard to defend. They may be able to cope or resist against ground forces, but what about air-defence. A single air raid could do a alot of damage.
don't you worry Syrians come to PAKISTAN for training.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

president basharalasad should resighn and should go for elections.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

this is what I believe.Look I m giving you opinion as a Syrian think tank.lol

Why would Israel fight Syria?? Assad is already killing all the Syrian population for them.
Then why a GREAT ISLAMIC BLOG was destroyed?then why Muslim are not united?then why we are Arabs and non Arabs?

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

There is also a Russian base in Syria. Russian ships have reached the base and Iranian ships joining soon.
then what?

Israel used up its stock of precision munitions against Hezbollah and had to get replacements from America after the first week of fighting. They then sent in about 15,000 forces where they failed to defeat the 3000 strong Nasir Brigade. They suffered 120 casualties against about 200 Hezbollah fighters. And contrary to misconceptions, Hezbollah fought a conventional war, engaging the IDF in the countryside and fighting tactically for every acre of terrain. As for the Free Syrian army, it consists of about 1,000 former soldiers, along with a bunch of foreign Al Qaeda and similar fighters and other indigenous fighters trained by Turkey and the Gulf Countries. Nearly the entire Syrian army is still loyal to Assad. An Israeli invasion would simply unite the Syrians against Israel.

Of course, given the historical failures of the Syrian army, it's still an open question as to wether it has made the careful war planning that Hezbollah had, and wether it will be able to fight such a coordinated and sophisticated campaign as Hezbollah did. But it's certainly wrong to say that Syria would simply collapse without a fight against an Israeli invasion.

Inspite of the so called 'victory' of Hezbollah their leader Hasan Nasrallah is still in hiding, the Israeli-Lebanese border is now manned by additional UN troops and no rocket attacks on Israeli soil since the end of the war by Hezbollah. Wars are not always fought for military victories my friend.Some has some political motives too.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom