What's new

Syed Muzamil Hasan Zaidi: Economy, Podcast, Inflation and Leaving Pakistan

Of course not. I was referring to the "old man" part. :D

Cream rises to the top of milk. Only scum rises to the top of a dirty pond.
Most Ive known from the expact Amreeki Pakistani are of the acerbic variety. Usually arriving at this state after realizing that Muhibbul watani requires letting go of what they have built in America and even if they do there is zero guarantee of success knowing what they know of their fellow countrymen.

So much like how they would drive in Pakistan - they spout anger and vulgarities at times through the closed window of their life’s vehicle at the passing idiocy of Pakistanis they witness

Because Garbage cannot reform garbage
so there's no hope unless they loosen their grip and allow competent people to rise?

at this point their best bet is try to locate overseas pakistanis with experience and qualifications in certain fields (perhaps this forum can help) and give them irrefusable offers to go back to pakistan and aid them in institutional reforms. offer them housing and crazy amounts or something

Most depressing thing about it is, top leadership doesn't care... they arent doing a thing to change this, no reforms, no institutional recovery or anything. we are continously becoming more backwards as the world progresses.
They know the reforms are going to be very painful and with a possible general election at the end of October less than 254 days away, they probably feel their best chance at re-election is to do nothing. This is probably also why you see them trying everything except reforms to get the money flowing in, but none of Pakistan’s partners or even the IMF is having any of it anymore. So it’s just paralysis.

so there's no hope unless they loosen their grip and allow competent people to rise?

at this point their best bet is try to locate overseas pakistanis with experience and qualifications in certain fields (perhaps this forum can help) and give them irrefusable offers to go back to pakistan and aid them in institutional reforms. offer them housing and crazy amounts or something
I don’t think most overseas Pakistani would go back for perks. They would only go back if given the power to make real changes.

People like Atif Mian are competent people that would be villianized for the reforms Pakistan needs, besides the fact that his religious background would be spun to resist the changes.

Why would a brilliant professor like him at a prestigious university like Princeton, risk giving up his life, literally his life, to fix the country?

Already been tried - and it was starting to have impact during PTIs era(hence why I mourn it and not IK) because there was still hope that institutions could be reformed.

Now, its goodbye Pakistan forever

Already been tried - and it was starting to have impact during PTIs era(hence why I mourn it and not IK) because there was still hope that institutions could be reformed.

i struggle to think what happens when a new COAS comes to power and sees the shitshow around him, how does he feel or the air chief feel when they go and visit Turkey's aerospace centres, is there no self realisation, that hey we are very behind or we are doing a bad job in comparison?

Most Ive known from the expact Amreeki Pakistani are of the acerbic variety. Usually arriving at this state after realizing that Muhibbul watani requires letting go of what they have built in America and even if they do there is zero guarantee of success knowing what they know of their fellow countrymen.

So much like how they would drive in Pakistan - they spout anger and vulgarities at times through the closed window of their life’s vehicle at the passing idiocy of Pakistanis they witness

The next stage after all that is simply learning to let go, but only a lucky few ever get to that level. I wish you all the best in that journey.

I don’t think most overseas Pakistani would go back for perks. They would only go back if given the power to make real changes.

People like Atif Mian are competent people that would be villianized for the reforms Pakistan needs, besides the fact that his religious background would be spun to resist the changes.

Why would a brilliant professor like him at a prestigious university like Princeton, risk giving up his life, literally his life, to fix the country?
according to some here, even the people in Azm that were competent were being treated like shit and pushed out, and they didnt allow private companies to work properly and thrive.

they have serious egotistical issues and superiority complexes.

It is not really a bad thing. One grows further in a more fertile environment in so many ways that holding it back for nostalgia is not wise. The real advantages will accrue to your coming generations here. Life always goes forward. Trying to drive with what is in the rear view mirror is a recipe for an accident.

They know the reforms are going to be very painful and with a possible general election at the end of October less than 254 days away, they probably feel their best chance at re-election is to do nothing. This is probably also why you see them trying everything except reforms to get the money flowing in, but none of Pakistan’s partners or even the IMF is having any of it anymore. So it’s just paralysis.
Wrong, they are certainly doing reforms, but just in the opposite direction.

This is why I keep emphasising how nepotism, toxicity and corruption have utterly destroyed whatever was somewhat good in Pakistan. If it wasn't enough here is round 2. They are literally anti-meritocracy. Maybe the only way to fix this country is by burning down everyone who is currently in charge.

Wrong, they are certainly doing reforms, but just in the opposite direction.

This is why I keep emphasising how nepotism, toxicity and corruption have utterly destroyed whatever was somewhat good in Pakistan. If it wasn't enough here is round 2. They are literally anti-meritocracy. Maybe the only way to fix this country is by burning down everyone who is currently in charge.

So worse than just doing nothing. :(

So worse than just doing nothing. :(
I hope my point about the chronic nepotism and carelessness disease is coming across better. They are not pointless rants but they have completely destroyed the little progress we were making, and in fact made us regress.

They can help from America without trying to be sacrificial lambs then, right?

Won't work. Only thing that may work is if a million talented expatriates think it is worth preventing Pakistan from becoming the next Lebanon, Somalia or Sudan and voluntarily decide to sacrifice their comforts to save their homeland. It may work for love; it will not work for money.

It is not really a bad thing. One grows further in a more fertile environment in so many ways that holding it back for nostalgia is not wise. The real advantages will accrue to your coming generations here. Life always goes forward. Trying to drive with what is in the rear view mirror is a recipe for an accident.
Off course, I keep telling people the biggest regret is not studying in America - that is an experience in itself but I did get to study overseas so can’t complain. I came at a point in life and would want to have come in earlier - a friend of mine came in even later and he wishes he came at my time and so on.

That doesn’t mean we forgot our values, our language nor will the kids be aliens to it - but they will be a hybrid of something better. That is how America works - it takes the best from the world and makes it better. It’s really on me to make sure I make the most of it -

Back
Top Bottom