What's new

Sri Lanka's cash-strapped airline may lease four planes to PIA

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka's cash-strapped national airline is in talks to lease four of its Airbus A330 planes to Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), a government minister said on Thursday, months after cancelling an order for four Airbus A350 aircraft.

State-owned SriLankan Airlines aims to reduce its debt and is looking for an international partner to help reverse years of losses.

“A team from the airline is in Pakistan for negotiations. We will lease one A330, latest next month, on wet lease,” Kabir Hashim, Minister of Public Enterprise Development, told reporters in Colombo.

A wet lease refers to when one airline provides an aircraft, crew and maintenance to another.

Hashim also said SriLankan would lease three more A330s “in the next few months”, but did not discuss the type of lease.

The airline, which has taken on seven Airbus A330-300s since 2012, has debts of around $3.25 billion.

Hashim said the airline paid around $450,000 dollars a month to lease each A330 and was looking to lease the aircraft to the Pakistani carrier “even at a break even” level.

The aircraft to be leased were used on loss-making routes to cities such as Frankfurt, Paris, and Rome, which SriLankan has decided to cancel, he said.

A PIA official confirmed the company is in negations with SriLankan.

“Sri Lanka and Pakistan are in negotiations, a Pakistani team visited Colombo but the deal hasn't been sealed,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to talk to media about the deal.

No SriLankan team was in Pakistan currently, he said.

SriLankan ordered eight A350s from Airbus in 2014. It has cancelled four and got rid of one of the others. Hashim said it was in talks with parties including an Iranian airline to sell the remaining A350s, which are still in production.

SriLankan was a profitable venture with Dubai-based Emirates Airline until the pair split in 2008. It last made a profit in 2009, and since then incurred losses of $993 million through 2015, the minister said.
http://www.dawn.com/news/1272268/sri-lankas-cash-strapped-airline-may-lease-four-planes-to-pia

1 bhooka dosre bhookay ko lease pe jahaaz de raha hai

PIA does need aircrafts to fulfil its demand but they first need to explore best routes to maximise their profit. PIA need to have more routes to UK i think... anywhere outside London...

PIA does need aircrafts to fulfil its demand but they first need to explore best routes to maximise their profit. PIA need to have more routes to UK i think... anywhere outside London...
Make it Manchester!
It is hard to find an Englishman in certain areas of Manchester!
Then there are other destination too. The problem is with lack of proper planning.

Make it Manchester!
It is hard to find an Englishman in certain areas of Manchester!
Then there are other destination too. The problem is with lack of proper planning.
exactly... the biggest problem is lack of planning

I think London is their most profitable route so they have the potential to increase routes from London. For example London to Sialkot is long due and would be idea choice for frequent travellers like me even if its 5000 rupees more expensive compared to Lahore.. but they usually have it cheaper than Lahore when it goes indirectly via Karachi.. They could also start a bus service like Emirates or Gulf. Get people loaded from Glasgow, stopover at London or Amsterdam and carry on to destination in Pakistan and least number of empty seats.

They could easily have more flights from Birmingham, Manchester or Glasgow and some European cities like Amsterdam, Milan and Frankfurt.

exactly... the biggest problem is lack of planning

I think London is their most profitable route so they have the potential to increase routes from London. For example London to Sialkot is long due and would be idea choice for frequent travellers like me even if its 5000 rupees more expensive compared to Lahore.. but they usually have it cheaper than Lahore when it goes indirectly via Karachi.. They could also start a bus service like Emirates or Gulf. Get people loaded from Glasgow, stopover at London or Amsterdam and carry on to destination in Pakistan and least number of empty seats.

They could easily have more flights from Birmingham, Manchester or Glasgow and some European cities like Amsterdam, Milan and Frankfurt.
Qatar Airways started operating international routes from Faisalabad sometime last year. It was just three moths that 3 other international lines joined them here. Now surely they didn't followed Qatar just because of some blind love! They studied how Qatar was making profits on this route and thus the followed them. Never saw PIA being so active!

All the destination you mentioned will be jam packed if operated properly. In fact, i do get 5 6 people, Britishers visiting us for business every years and almost all of them prefer PIA. Hard to believe but they insist that this is the best line to travel from UK to Pakistan. All we need to do is market that, plan properly and UK-Pakistan can easily support other operations as well.

The next step can be to make Pakistan a transit point and look east for more destinations!

Nice to see that sirf hamare mulk ke halaat bure nahiin.

Qatar Airways started operating international routes from Faisalabad sometime last year. It was just three moths that 3 other international lines joined them here. Now surely they didn't followed Qatar just because of some blind love! They studied how Qatar was making profits on this route and thus the followed them. Never saw PIA being so active!

All the destination you mentioned will be jam packed if operated properly. In fact, i do get 5 6 people, Britishers visiting us for business every years and almost all of them prefer PIA. Hard to believe but they insist that this is the best line to travel from UK to Pakistan. All we need to do is market that, plan properly and UK-Pakistan can easily support other operations as well.

The next step can be to make Pakistan a transit point and look east for more destinations!
indeed... we need direct flights from one of the UK city to Sialkot and Faisalabad. It will be huge success from first week

You are into textile industry yeah? if possible please message me... I import goods from China... thori information chahiye... kya pata Pakistan se bhi imports kar sakon thori bohat?

Read somewhere that these 330s will contain premium seats and will utilized on flights to London, hoping to cash on business-class travelers that is being stolen by the Middle East carriers. This will free up the 777s for other routes as well retire 310s.

More details are available at this civil aviation forum:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1338503

Last edited:
Pia only need to get rid of its corrupted administration staff .

Pia starting it's premiere service on 14 of Aug from London
Pia need to hold on to Manchester Birmingham newyork Milan etc as wl with best service ,food and punctuality of time
Hope for the best as it's first step towards betterment of pia
They need international management on top Level as they already contracted a party

New seats on the A330:
13775805_904382149689484_2508949950270103377_n.jpg

13754099_904382169689482_6742885797051159560_n.jpg

13775805_904382149689484_2508949950270103377_n.jpg

Business class will contain 180° lie flat seat with all seats containing all ails access.
Economy class will have improvements such as wider leg room and bigger IFE screens with more on demand channels and video. (with IFM that actually work!)
I love PIA's improvement.
A job well done to the CEO and the rest of the people improving it!

Pakistan has many routes like Houston Munich etc

Problem is sincerity with the company justice never been done by polititions specially PPP govt keep recruiting stupid corrupt people

PIA can be good over night

Get rid of useless employees
Recruit young air hostess
Better the air services with ground services
Buy new aircraft
Flights to Houston Chicago Milan Copenhagen Moscow make good profits

One more thing give people a more better offers they can't refuse
For example do not charge extra on canceling the flights before 24 hours of flights and give them chance to pick another day to depart free of cost

Back
Top Bottom