What's new

Shalwar Kameez - a Pakistani dress?

Is Shalwar Kameez a?

• Total voters
image-538.jpg

Look like mother and daughter!

Cheers, Doc

P.S. To the challenged man-child who equates churidars with no sway room.

Unless your swaying is done at the level of the calves, the top half of the churidar (above the bunched up knees) is structured a bit like jodhpuris. With a lot of sway room, unless you're swaying an elephant.

Cheers, Doc

I like salwar kameez for the summer, it's the perfect dress for that weather. I do wish though it was designed with pockets in the salwar.

This is classic example of revisionism going on as I said earlier. Shalwar Kameez was not Punjabi but from Frontier region of Pakistan. If you go back to 1940s all Pakhtuns wore Shalwar Kameez. Whereas many Punpabis [Muslim and Sikh] wore a Kameez with wraparound. So to claim Shalwar Kameez as Punjabi is utter rubbish. The fact is Shalwar Kameez was more centred around the Af-Pak borderlands. After 1950s rest of Pakistan followed suit the Frontier and adopted the Shalwar. Now we have Indians twisting history because they have discovered the Shalwar Kameez in particular post 1990s.

Even your Sikhs did not wear Shalwar Kameez until recently. If you look at 1947 footage during partition you can see Punjabis on both sides wearing this. Then the Sikhs worse a tight Pajama/kurta. And it is interesting that Sikhs were most influenced by the Frontier region.
This is true. I have heard from my elders who lived in West Punjab before partition and they tell me that it was very rare to see Muslim Punjabis wearing Salwar. The educated class(Muslim, Hindu and Sikhs) mostly wore the tight Pajama with Achkan.

It is predominantly the dress for the Muslim people of subcontinent + Afghanistan. Hindu men wear lungi and their women wear saree but now they are getting civilised too.
Wow! never heard before, Does wearing certain clothes makes people civilized?

Last edited:
Isn't it a fact?
What fact Sir? so according to you People take a bath in the holy river makes them uncivilised while people posing nudes on the beach & swimming in the pool are considered are civilised?

What fact Sir? so according to you People take a bath in the holy river makes them uncivilised while people posing nudes on the beach & swimming in the pool are considered are civilised?
being nude in public is uncivilised be it on swimming pool or in dirty filthy water

Back
Top Bottom