What's new

Pakistanis freak out over Islamabad U exhibit showing Israeli culture

So, right or wrong is dependent on the power of the bereaved party? What kind of logic is that?

It's not a question of right or wrong: Japan's conduct in WW2 was unqualifiably wrong and no one can possibly justify it.
However, it is something in the past and the Chinese themselves are conducting huge business with Japan, so it makes no sense for others to boycott Japan over the issue.

The issue with Palestine is the continuing oppression of Palestinians and the fact that the Palestinians have no realistic way to retaliate.

Israel stall was set up on advice from an ‘outsider’
By Kashif Abbasi | Hassan Belal Zaidi
Published 38 minutes ago
54503af5a66e9.jpg

.—Online file photo
ISLAMABAD: A preliminary investigation carried out by the administration of the International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) indicates that ‘an outsider’ may have advised the team hosting the Model United Nations (MUN) to include Israel in the team line-up for the event.

A report, a copy of which is available with Dawn, details the events that led up to the setting up of a stall representing Israel at the ‘Global Village’ part of the Women’s International Model United Nations (WIMUN) 2014, which began at IIUI last Friday.

Know more: IIUI suspends dean, student adviser over Model UN fiasco

Dawn also spoke to participants of the event, as well as members of the WIMUN Secretariat – the body that oversees organisational affairs at any MUN event – who said that after the stall became controversial, participants and guests from other institutions were told to flee the campus as “things had gotten bad” and had to go into hiding for fear of reprisals from the IIUI chapter of the Islami Jamiat Talaba (IJT).

The report also backtracks on an earlier claim by the IIUI administration, which had said that the organisers had not sought permission to set up cultural stalls as part of the wider WIMUN schedule. “Various programmes were scheduled in the afternoon… (including) a Masters Round [for committee chairs], carnival and scavenger hunt, committee session(s) and setting of stall(s) of various countries,” says the report, adding that, “students were allowed to set their stalls in thirty minutes”.

The report states that a committee was formed to investigate how ‘Israel’ was allocated to students participating in the MUN, which questioned the students involved and established that the advice to have Israel as part of the competition came from ‘an outsider’. According to the report, the president of the WIMUN – who was a student at the IIUI’s Faculty of Management Sceinces – did not seek approval for this decision from the programme in-charge.

However, the IIUI administration denied having issued an investigation report, saying only that a probe was currently underway. No one from the university seems to know who the outsider named in the report was.

But Dawn spoke to the ‘outsider’ in question, who is an experienced MUNer and an MBA graduate from a prestigious university in the capital. He was also the chair for one of the committees where Israel was represented during debates.

He told Dawn that the WIMUN Secretariat had submitted the topics for debate well in advance to the faculty, which had approved a discussion on the ‘Palestine-Israel conflict’, to be held at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) committee at WIMUN 2014. “Obviously, if you are going to have a debate on the Israel-Palestine issue, you must have both sides present. This is how it is done at all MUNs across the country and around the world,” he said.

On the first day of the event, he said, the student representing Israel at the UNSC committee came up to the committee chair and said she was not comfortable with her role. However, in the interests of having a fair debate, the ‘outsider’ said, she was told “No one is rooting for Israel, but if the issue is to be discussed, there must be someone representing the other side as well.”

At the end of the first day, when the ‘Global Village’ event was being staged, the stalls of the various countries represented at the event were displayed in the Quaid-i-Azam Complex hall at the university’s old campus near Faisal Mosque.

Objections raised

WIMUN participants event, who were present in the hall at the time, told Dawn that it was not members of the IJT that raised a hue and cry over the Israel stall. “The Global Village was attended by attaches from the Iranian and Palestinian missions, who were also interacting with students at the events and telling them about their own countries,” said a participant, who was also one of the committee chairs at WIMUN.

“Apparently, it was the two attaches who were offended by the presence of the Israel stall and complained to the administration. We found out because the next day, the student who had been representing Israel at the UNSC came up and said that she had been allocated Saudi Arabia instead. Since debate on the Palestine-Israel issue could not continue without a representative of both countries, the committee chair asked one of the observers present at the session to fill in for Israel temporarily,” he said.

“Although we were quite displeased at the narrow-mindedness shown by the university, the event got back on track soon enough. However, the third day was completely cancelled and we were told that ‘things had gone bad’ and the IJT was looking for us. We were told to hide and warned not to go back to our guesthouses as goons may be waiting for us there,” another participant from a Lahore-based university told Dawn.

The IIUI investigation report also states that the administration had disallowed WIMUN from having teams represent India or Israel at the event, but the participants Dawn spoke to did not confirm this.

The report states that following the fiasco, IIUI relieved the dean of the Faculty of Management Sciences, suspended the chairperson of the faculty, constituted a committee to establish the role of two faculty members who were associated with the social events of the WIMUN 2014, and referred the cases of five students from the WIMUN team – including the three who set up the stall – to the Students Disciplinary Committee.

Published in Dawn, October 29th , 2014

Israel stall was set up on advice from an ‘outsider’
By Kashif Abbasi | Hassan Belal Zaidi
Published 38 minutes ago
54503af5a66e9.jpg

.—Online file photo
ISLAMABAD: A preliminary investigation carried out by the administration of the International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) indicates that ‘an outsider’ may have advised the team hosting the Model United Nations (MUN) to include Israel in the team line-up for the event.

A report, a copy of which is available with Dawn, details the events that led up to the setting up of a stall representing Israel at the ‘Global Village’ part of the Women’s International Model United Nations (WIMUN) 2014, which began at IIUI last Friday.

Know more: IIUI suspends dean, student adviser over Model UN fiasco

Dawn also spoke to participants of the event, as well as members of the WIMUN Secretariat – the body that oversees organisational affairs at any MUN event – who said that after the stall became controversial, participants and guests from other institutions were told to flee the campus as “things had gotten bad” and had to go into hiding for fear of reprisals from the IIUI chapter of the Islami Jamiat Talaba (IJT).

The report also backtracks on an earlier claim by the IIUI administration, which had said that the organisers had not sought permission to set up cultural stalls as part of the wider WIMUN schedule. “Various programmes were scheduled in the afternoon… (including) a Masters Round [for committee chairs], carnival and scavenger hunt, committee session(s) and setting of stall(s) of various countries,” says the report, adding that, “students were allowed to set their stalls in thirty minutes”.

The report states that a committee was formed to investigate how ‘Israel’ was allocated to students participating in the MUN, which questioned the students involved and established that the advice to have Israel as part of the competition came from ‘an outsider’. According to the report, the president of the WIMUN – who was a student at the IIUI’s Faculty of Management Sceinces – did not seek approval for this decision from the programme in-charge.

However, the IIUI administration denied having issued an investigation report, saying only that a probe was currently underway. No one from the university seems to know who the outsider named in the report was.

But Dawn spoke to the ‘outsider’ in question, who is an experienced MUNer and an MBA graduate from a prestigious university in the capital. He was also the chair for one of the committees where Israel was represented during debates.

He told Dawn that the WIMUN Secretariat had submitted the topics for debate well in advance to the faculty, which had approved a discussion on the ‘Palestine-Israel conflict’, to be held at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) committee at WIMUN 2014. “Obviously, if you are going to have a debate on the Israel-Palestine issue, you must have both sides present. This is how it is done at all MUNs across the country and around the world,” he said.

On the first day of the event, he said, the student representing Israel at the UNSC committee came up to the committee chair and said she was not comfortable with her role. However, in the interests of having a fair debate, the ‘outsider’ said, she was told “No one is rooting for Israel, but if the issue is to be discussed, there must be someone representing the other side as well.”

At the end of the first day, when the ‘Global Village’ event was being staged, the stalls of the various countries represented at the event were displayed in the Quaid-i-Azam Complex hall at the university’s old campus near Faisal Mosque.

Objections raised

WIMUN participants event, who were present in the hall at the time, told Dawn that it was not members of the IJT that raised a hue and cry over the Israel stall. “The Global Village was attended by attaches from the Iranian and Palestinian missions, who were also interacting with students at the events and telling them about their own countries,” said a participant, who was also one of the committee chairs at WIMUN.

“Apparently, it was the two attaches who were offended by the presence of the Israel stall and complained to the administration. We found out because the next day, the student who had been representing Israel at the UNSC came up and said that she had been allocated Saudi Arabia instead. Since debate on the Palestine-Israel issue could not continue without a representative of both countries, the committee chair asked one of the observers present at the session to fill in for Israel temporarily,” he said.

“Although we were quite displeased at the narrow-mindedness shown by the university, the event got back on track soon enough. However, the third day was completely cancelled and we were told that ‘things had gone bad’ and the IJT was looking for us. We were told to hide and warned not to go back to our guesthouses as goons may be waiting for us there,” another participant from a Lahore-based university told Dawn.

The IIUI investigation report also states that the administration had disallowed WIMUN from having teams represent India or Israel at the event, but the participants Dawn spoke to did not confirm this.

The report states that following the fiasco, IIUI relieved the dean of the Faculty of Management Sciences, suspended the chairperson of the faculty, constituted a committee to establish the role of two faculty members who were associated with the social events of the WIMUN 2014, and referred the cases of five students from the WIMUN team – including the three who set up the stall – to the Students Disciplinary Committee.

Published in Dawn, October 29th , 2014
There you go. It's obviously NOT a good idea to include Israel when you're going to invite Palestinians. That's just plain wrong, it's like you're trying to rub it in their faces. Such a reaction is to be expected then.

There you go. It's obviously NOT a good idea to include Israel when you're going to invite Palestinians. That's just plain wrong, it's like you're trying to rub it in their faces. Such a reaction is to be expected then.
Who rubbed what in who's face? The Palis and mullahs told Pakistanis to bend over and Pakistanis meekly complied.

Who rubbed what in who's face? The Palis and mullahs told Pakistanis to bend over and Pakistanis meekly complied.
Wow, is that how you see it? Zionist propaganda sure is harmful for one's brain cells.
When there's a country that murders your children on a regular basis and you see it being represented in a positive light, you feel bad. I just hope one day the Zionists do the same to people like you, then you'll understand.

Funny topic and even funnier posts by some people.

Honest question, where did this flag burning tola find an israeli flag? Do they keep a US and Israel one ready to go at all times?

Wow, is that how you see it? Zionist propaganda sure is harmful for one's brain cells.
I think I'm faithfully transmitting the view of the Pakistani diplomat who appealed to a Jew for help with this condition, that Arabs control Pakistani education and Pakistanis always bow in reverence to them for doing so.

When there's a country that murders your children on a regular basis and you see it being represented in a positive light, you feel bad.
Neither the Palestinians nor the israelis are in favor of killing Arab kids. But the Palestinians know they must blame Israel or they would get their throats cut by the powers-that-be. What excuse do you have?

I just hope one day the Zionists do the same to people like you, then you'll understand.
Just about every day on forums like this one I read commenters like yourself praising or excusing Arabs for murdering, or attempting to murder, Jewish children peacefully asleep in their beds.

Pakistanis' views on Israel and Israelis are usually based on a false premise: that Jews somehow stole the Land of Israel from the Arabs. I say that's turning the truth upside down. And there's no point in you trying to contradict me since Pakistanis can only permit the anti-Israeli side to be heard so your views - being empty and uncritical mouthings of your teachers and media - thus have zero validity.

Last edited:
I think I'm faithfully transmitting the view of the Pakistani diplomat who appealed to Jews for help with this condition, that Arabs control Pakistani education and Pakistanis always bow in reverence to them for doing so.

Neither the Palestinians nor the israelis are in favor of killing Arab kids. But the Palestinians know they must blame Israel or they would get their throats cut by the powers-that-be. What excuse do you have?

Just about every day on forums like this one I read commenters like yourself praising or excusing Arabs for murdering, or attempting to murder, Jewish children peacefully asleep in their beds.

Pakistanis' views on Israel and Israelis are usually based on a false premise: that Jews somehow stole the Land of Israel from the Arabs. I say that's turning the truth upside down. And there's no point in you trying to contradict me since Pakistanis can only permit the anti-Israeli side to be heard so your views - being empty and uncritical mouthings of your teachers and media - thus have zero validity.
No use debating with a Zionist. You people are so indoctrinated from birth you can not be made to see reality.

I never excused Arabs for murdering innocents. Never. So don't give me that bull.

Pakistanis' views on Israel and Israelis are usually based on a false premise: that Jews somehow stole the Land of Israel from the Arabs.
Yeah yeah, I know, Palestine used to be the Jews' until evil Arabs suddenly materialised there and proceeded to live there for a couple of thousand years before the poor, truthful, innocent Jews came back to live there and the evil Arabs started drinking their blood.
I know your BS.
You Zionists have the false premise, so quit fooling yourselves. Just because Jews used to live there thousands of years back does not give them the right to just walk in and take over the land from an indigenous population. No form of law allows for a minority to take over a whole country.
But then again, hypocrites like you would jump at any chance to condemn Muslims for involving their religion in political matters yet are perfectly happy when Jews use verses from religious text as justification to enslave and mistreat an entire population.
International Law doesn't apply to Jews, right? I mean, UN resolutions are just pieces of paper, aren't they? Bloody hypocrite.

And there's no point in you trying to contradict me since Pakistanis can only permit the anti-Israeli side to be heard so your views - being empty and uncritical mouthings of your teachers and media - thus have zero validity.
Who the hell are you to tell me my views have zero validity? I'm not the one trying to justify an apartheid regime that murders children for the crime of existing on the wrong land.

There is no way you can disprove that the Palestinians did exist on Palestine before this 'state' of Israel was formed and that they were the majority population. So then you'll try to justify your taking over them by using logical fallacies and other form of propaganda. I know how Hasbara works mate, no informed person is falling for that. And what 'powers that be' are you talking about? Looks like a severe case of propaganda-induced delusions.

It's not a question of right or wrong: Japan's conduct in WW2 was unqualifiably wrong and no one can possibly justify it.
However, it is something in the past and the Chinese themselves are conducting huge business with Japan, so it makes no sense for others to boycott Japan over the issue.

The issue with Palestine is the continuing oppression of Palestinians and the fact that the Palestinians have no realistic way to retaliate.

I can see the point you are making about State actors responding with force against what they believe to be a problem and you call a just cause. While, I do not agree, with that conducting business should result in letting by-gones be under the carpet. Just like Germany apologised unequivocally to the Jews, I think, Japan should do the same to the Chinese. There should be no question of whether they do business or China is powerful to take its own stand.

The only point, I was making was that Pakistanis will need to learn about a State which exists. And pushing it under the carpet does more harm than good. It was a good discussion. Thanks :)

new%2Beoz%2Blogo3.png

Monday, October 27, 2014
Pakistanis freak out over Islamabad U exhibit showing Israeli culture (UPDATE)

From the International Islamic University Islamabad's website on Friday:

International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) is going to hold a three-day event titled “Women International Model United Nations 2014”. The event is being organized by the Faculty of Management Sciences (Female) and students’ advisor office of university which would kick off on Friday (today). The event includes social events, discussion sessions and many other activities.​

But something went horribly wrong. From The News Tribe:

A stall showing Israeli culture was arranged at International Islamic University Islamabad; the university administration confirmed that the stall was set up and it has formed a three-member committee to probe into the matter.

The stall for promotion of Israeli culture was arranged in a hall situated in the Faisal Mosque in Islamabad, the capital of Islamic Republic of Pakistan. A ceremony “UN Debate Contest” was also arranged by the Faculty of “Management Sciences Women Department”.

Some students, a few of those from other countries, set up the stall where items showing Israel’s culture were displayed. Banners in the background also showed the Israeli flag as well as pictures of the Israeli premier.

“WELCOME TO THE LAND OF PEACE AND PROSPERITY,” read a banner.

As the news about this stall came to fore, religious bodies, students and political organisations expressed their anger and threatened protest on Sunday (today).

The legal adviser of the University confirmed the presence of stall. The “UN Debate Contest” was also arranged by the Faculty of Management Sciences Women Department where the students set up their stalls of UN member states but the stall of Israel was arranged without permission of university administration, the adviser said.

The stall was closed immediately as it came into the notice of administration.

The local people said that without university administration’s permission it was impossible to set up such stall.

Various student organisations and religious parties said the act was tantamount to adding salt to the wounds of Palestinians.

Outraged students held a protest today, where they naturally burned Israeli flags:

(h/t Yenta Press)

UPDATE:

The International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) has removed the dean of the Faculty of Management Sciences (FMS) and a student adviser who were responsible for a three-day Model United Nations (MUN) event, which began on Friday.

The move followed reports that the university had organised an “Israeli cultural stall”, which began circulating on the Internet and via social media. This drew the ire of right-wing organisations, including the IIUI chapter of the Islami Jamiat Talaba (IJT), which staged a demonstration outside the National Press Club on Sunday to condemn the stall.​
Until and unless Palestine state is formed with Jeruslam as its capital and Israel stop killing our brother and sisters nothing from Israel will be welcomed

Until and unless Palestine state is formed with Jeruslam as its capital and Israel stop killing our brother and sisters nothing from Israel will be welcomed

na 9 mund tail ho ga

na Mullah choopay ga

na radha naachay gee

(trans: Catch-22)

Pakistan isn't strong enough to meddle in other countries business. I know we love to yap all the time but common sense would indicate that we should get our house in order first and follow that up with solving the Kashmir issue.

In the grand scheme of things, the Palestine issue has zero impact on your daily lives but here we are again, yapping away and focusing on things that don't matter to us.

Back
Top Bottom