What's new

Pakistan wins Beauty of Asia 2010 in China

Come on are you feeling ok, models in Pakistan do a lot more risky stuff and they never received any death threats from mullahs.

I have noticed that you seem to have very limited knowledge of Pakistan and are highly critical. Stop sounding so bitter, ease up and relax, there is a very limited amount of mullahs around and most of them have been dissapearing anyway.

Look here and enjoy:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/53253-pakistani-fashion-107.html

mullahs in different parts of pakistan might react differently.

(27_of_152).jpg

Interview

Ayesha, you won Miss Pakistan World in June 2009, then left for China for the Miss Tourism Queen International Pageant in August 2009 and won a title - Miss Elegant Runner up and now are preparing for Miss Earth 2009 in November. This has been a few months of travelling for you and representing Pakistan internationally. How does it feel and what were your experiences?

This has been my first chance to represent my great nation on a global scale, and I was born ready. During the past three months, I have travelled to different ends of the world. I feel proud to bring into the limelight the lighter side of Pakistan, apart from what’s displayed in the media due to a few rotten apples. It’s unfortunate the world has absolutely no clue what Pakistan is all about, what rich treasures it holds and what contributions it has to offer to the world. However, I am here to change that, along with Sonia Ahmed and the Miss Pakistan World pageant, and its supporters, and anyone else who has the guts to go against the grain.

Miss Earth is the world's 3rd largest pageant and is dedicated to serving Mother Earth. What have you done to contribute with your title and ideas to planning to serve Mother Earth?

There is a great demand in Pakistan for proper sanitation removal. For this reason, I feel recycling of plastic and glass is important to the future of Pakistan. Proper disposal of plastic and glass can have an immense impact on reducing the pollution factor. My organization and I are informing the Pakistani people of the significance of recycling through posters, memos, lectures, and group events to motivate the people to take action and do their small part to help Mother Earth. In addition, I have grown up as a practicing “tree-hugger.” As an eight-year old, I created a club to save a large puddle I thought was a pond; I would clear it of litter constantly. I even wrote a letter to the president about saving the planet and how citizens should take action to do their part in saving Mother Earth for our children. I’ve grown up with a love for the environment, and hope to lead by example, whether it’s recycling, picking up litter, creating compost piles, or tiny projects. For instance, I use chewed gum to fill in cracks of broken clay pots and pet dishes, or to temporarily hold together broken items until they are properly fixed (such as eyeglasses), where otherwise it takes five years to decompose when thrown in the trash. Every little bit counts. If every human on this earth were to do their little part as such, the earth would smile upon mankind and remain green for eternity. My goal is to spread this message as much as humanly possible.

Ayesha Gilani

A pageant with a worthy cause like Miss Earth is rare to find. Do you think the people are going to be more aware of saving our planet from environmental harms after you compete as Miss Pakistan in the Miss Earth Pageant?

Absolutely. Miss Earth has increased environmental awareness. It is common knowledge that Miss Earth believes in "beauty with a cause." Every queen, through her inner and outer beauty, appeals to the world and spreads knowledge of issues challenging Mother Earth. Because Miss Earth is a very well-respected organization and pageant the world over, it gives the queen a platform that sparks the interest of the world. For instance, Miss Earth 2008, Karla Henry, educated the world through reaching out to children about planting trees. The previous winner, Jessica Trisko, focused on saving endangered species, such as the sea turtle, and participated in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The Miss Earth organization realizes that when beauty speaks, people listen, and so chooses the most beautiful and intelligent woman in the entire world to carry forth their message of loving back Mother Earth, and working together to preserve it.

What are the environmental problems affecting Pakistan's Climate and Environment?

There are several problems facing Pakistan’s climate and environment.
The availability of natural resources is limited by the dry climate and mountainous terrain. Substantial population growth is increasing pressure on the resource base, and resource management has suffered from the emphasis on rapid economic growth and often-unregulated forms of economic productivity.
Per capita water availability in Pakistan has been decreasing at an alarming rate. In 1951, the per capita availability was 5300 cubic meters, which has now decreased to 1105 cubic meters, just touching a water scarcity level of 1000 cubic meters. Almost all fresh water resources are severely polluted due to discharge of untreated industrial and municipal wastes. Pollution of coastal waters due to waste discharges and oil spills coupled with reduced freshwater flows is resulting in declining fish yields.
Approximately 35 percent of population has access to adequate sanitation facilities.
Air pollution is on the rise, especially in urban areas. Recent surveys conducted by the Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency revealed a presence of very high levels of suspended particulate matter (about 6 times higher than the World Health Organization's guidelines). Smog also seriously affects almost the entire Punjab province during December and January every year.
Of about 54,850 tons of solid waste generated daily in urban areas, less than 60 percent is collected. No city in Pakistan has proper waste collection or a disposal system for municipal, hazardous or healthcare wastes.
Degradation and encroachment of natural forests, rangelands and freshwater and marine ecosystems are resulting in loss of biodiversity. At least four mammal species, including tiger, swamp deer, lion and Indian one-horned rhinoceros, are known to have become extinct from Pakistan, while at least ten ecosystems of particular value for the species’ richness and uniqueness of their floral and faunal communities are considered to be critically threatened.
Desertification affects over 43 million hectares of land annually.
Pakistan is a highly energy inefficient country. It uses approximately the same amount of energy to generate one dollar of gross national product as the USA.
The above situation has arisen due to a number of factors including high population growth rate, prevailing poverty, unplanned urban and industrial expansion, insufficient emphasis on environmental protection in the government policies, lack of public awareness and education, and lack of institutional capacity and resources for effective environmental management

What do you think that Pakistan first needs to focus on in regards to its Environment?

First and foremost, Pakistan needs to focus on the one factor that can solve all of the world’s problems: education. Awareness sparks action. Most of the residents of Pakistan are not even aware of the crises facing their precious environment, nor are they cognizant of their own unconscious contributions to these crises. Through awareness of the problems and exactly how much harm they are causing to their own home, the earth, and then what they can do to prevent the environment’s degradation, people can then take the next step and take action against these harmful practices and habits.

As Miss Pakistan Earth, your third major title for Pakistan this year, what will you promote about Pakistan?

My great country, Pakistan, literally, “the land of purity,” was created by a man named Mohammad Ali Jinnah, based on the principles of equality and acceptance of all kinds. Jinnah believed in the notion of “live and let live.” Pakistan is a great example of a modern Islamic state. All religions thrive and exist in Pakistan, such as Christians, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, the aboriginal Kalash, and Muslims, for example. The culture is rich and colorful, with millennia of history, such as the great Mughal empire based in Lahore, the city of my forefathers. Another very popular item native to Pakistan is our food, rich and delicious and bursting with flavor. As Miss Pakistan World, I aim to promote the side of Pakistan the media doesn’t portray, the real Pakistan. The people are warm and loving, and balance religious beliefs and ancient culture with modernization.

Who is your role model from Pakistan and Why?

My role model from Pakistan is Benazir Bhutto. Despite being a woman in a male-dominated society, Bhutto became the first and only (to date) woman elected to lead a Muslim state. A Harvard and Oxford graduate, and law degree holder, she later won the United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights.
Bhutto spoke out against oppression of women, and made efforts towards establishment of women’s police stations, courts and women’s development banks. She was also a founding member of the Council of Women World Leaders, a network of current and former presidents and prime ministers. Eventually, Bhutto gave her life for her country when she returned to Pakistan after a self-imposed exile to Dubai, while leaving a campaign rally. She had told Wolf Blitzer of CNN that she was prepared for an attack on herself, yet she still returned to continue her fight to speak out about what she believed was in Pakistan’s future’s best interest. Benazir Bhutto was the epitome of the all-powerful woman; beautiful from the inside out, she was truly a beauty queen in her own right.

How was the experience at the Miss Tourism Queen International pageant in China?

I have travelled through China, to large cities and small towns, experiencing the rich, deep-rooted cultures first hand. Each city left me with a different experience I will always cherish. Everyone in China knows Pakistan as “China’s friend;” I was so ecstatic! It was a month full of activities and competitions showcasing not only to each other, but to the world, different facets of our respective countries, ending with a spectacular grand finale show in Zhengzhou. As with all pageants, a lot of hard work was involved; every three days, traveled to a new city, had dinner with government officials of the respective town, greeted the local people warmly in a welcoming ceremony, and performed live and often impromptu shows for live audiences as large as 15,000 people. Most importantly, I have had the opportunity to meet beautiful girls, inside and out, representing over 100 countries worldwide, and have developed everlasting friendships; friendship has no language.

You recently met Pervez Musharraf, how was the feeling and describe your meeting?

Meeting Pervez Musharraf, my icon, was an unimaginable feeling. It was almost surreal, shaking his hand and speaking with him. He was as charming in person as he was during his patriotic addresses to the nation and the world, and very humble and polite. My director, Sonia Ahmed, and I exchanged words with him about our goal to bring forth the power of Pakistani women, and to defeat oppression of the female gender, a common goal shared with Musharraf. Musharraf already knew of our mission, though, and has supported our pageant for some time. It was amazing to see such a great, powerful man who has accomplished so much for our nation singlehandedly standing before us so humble and appreciative of our support and admiration.

Are you a big fan of Ex-President Musharraf?

I am a huge fan of Musharraf. He is the representation of all that I believe in, and all that Miss Pakistan World, the company, strives for: a modern Pakistan, equality for all, women’s rights, and the notion of “live and let live.” Pervez Musharraf, whether currently in power or not, will always be my president. Always.

In a short time of just 4 months you have achieved so much, what are the future events this year?

After completing Miss Earth, I will be traveling to London for the British Achievement Awards, with Prince Charles and Pervez Musharraf. There, I will be receiving an award for being a positive role model in Pakistani society. Soon after, I will be modeling for skincare lines and such modeling and acting opportunities that come my way. I plan to become more actively involved in charities to do my part while here on this earth to give back to humankind. I want to promote recycling in Pakistan, and general awareness of issues facing the environment. I want to help victims of natural disasters, such as the 8.6 Pakistan earthquake in 2005 (a cause I already support through a donation drive set up in Washington, DC). I also want to continue to promote the involvement and advancement of Pakistani talent in the mainstream fashion industry, a cause I already support.

What are your plans about the entertainment industry after you give away your title?

After giving away my title, I will continue modeling. I also hope to continue to pursue opportunities in acting. I will remain active in the fashion industry, and hope to encourage other Pakistani girls to join the mission of the Miss Pakistan World company.

What is your advice to young girls wanting to enter Miss Pakistan World?

We are a beautiful, intelligent, talented people, and we are capable of everything we set our hearts and minds to. Don’t be afraid to step out of the crowd and go against the grain to make a difference in the Pakistani community, as well as in the world. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. I give you my favorite quote, from Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you are right."

I really don't see the point behind beauty pageants. Not only are the ridiculous, they are exploitative and reward women for standards of "beauty" set by society (read chauvinistic men).

After the other articles you wrote about religion I find that she should not have worn that musharff tee to win your vote.

how does pakistan win???????????? She is canadian, no beauty contest involing bikini contest happen in pakisan.
And in what way are woman empowered more if they walk around in bikines????????????

congrats to Pakistani beauty...she is really hotttt

i have a question can someone answer. How is she Miss pakistan???????????????????????????????????????
as far as i can tell no such pagents take place in pakistan.

Come on are you feeling ok, models in Pakistan do a lot more risky stuff and they never received any death threats from mullahs.

Look here and enjoy:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/53253-pakistani-fashion-107.html

I hope what you say is true.. but there is a difference between what you do inside Pakistan and how people want Pakistan to be represented outside. Hope I'm wrong.. personally i am not a fan of beauty pageants but some of the pictures you posted are pretty hot

I mean you have some people going coocoo when cricketers take pictures with women outside the country.

I hope what you say is true.. but there is a difference between what you do inside Pakistan and how people want Pakistan to be represented outside. Hope I'm wrong.. personally i am not a fan of beauty pageants but some of the pictures you posted are pretty hot

I mean you have some people going coocoo when cricketers take pictures with women outside the country.

Unfortunately more people outside like to concentrate on what the Mullahs have to say and not on what we actually do and happens in our country.

The small vocal extremist minority is for some reason paid a lot of attention to and that is only done so only because it can harm our image.

Everyone has an opinion, they can say what they like, but would not and has not stopped anyone from doing what they want.

i have a question can someone answer. How is she Miss pakistan???????????????????????????????????????
as far as i can tell no such pagents take place in pakistan.

thats because she lives abroad but she is pakistani and representing pakistan in the pageant even if pageant don't take place there.

Congratulations to Miss Pakistan World..
Support the freedom for women which west wants and see you sisters and mothers like this half naked.

Enjoy the so called freedom which is all to satisfy a Man's Lust.

No body is discussing the freedom every body is commenting on her nice body, curves, B**bs, etc Shame.

P.S she is not Official Miss Pakistan.. its no allowed here. I Thank God for it.

*Not Directed to any one.. Just my thoughts*

Back
Top Bottom