What's new

Pakistan tests Ghauri Missile

You can't use Solid fuel with MIRV bus because you wont be able to control the MIRV bus speed to insert multiple warheads at different orbits. Solid fuels doesn't give you an ability to throttle up or down the speed. Fuel liquids does that. Some technical explanations below from web

===================================================================
https://www.quora.com/When-is-a-sol...et-LVM3-by-ISRO-use-a-solid-rocket-propellant

Many of the rockets use both solid and liquid propellant stages.

Generally solid propellant is used in lower stages.The reason is rocket requires higher thrust during lift off due to high atmospheric pressure which is easily given by a solid motor compared to a liquid engine for the same mass and size.

And liquid propellant in upper stages because it offers fine control for precise injection of satellites into the orbit.

Solid-fuel advantages:

• More thrust for a similar size rocket
    • solid motors are easier to manufacture, store and handle a year before.
Solid-fuel disadvantages:

• Can't be turned off- once the burn starts, it goes until fuel is used up
    • Lower specific impulse.274.5 sec.
Liquid-fuel advantages:

• Variable thrust- the amount of fuel and rate of burn can be changed in flight i.e.more control
    • Can be turned off and on whenever required.(THIS CONCEPT IS USED BY ISRO TO SEND MULTIPLE SATELLITES TO DIFFERENT ORBITS BY SHUTTING OFF PS4 ENGINE.)
    • Higher specific impulse:

• earth storable propellants(UH25+N2O4): around 340sec
    • Semi-cryogenic (Kerosene - LOX) : 350s - 360sec
    • Cryogenic (LH2 - LOX) : around 450sec
Liquid-fuel disadvantages:

• Difficult to store, maintain and service the propellant to liquid tanks.
    • So many complex parts making it difficult to design and fabricate the engines (Cryogenic engine took 20 years for INDIA to design making it 6th in the world to have the technology)
    • Vulnerable to leaks (GSLV-D05 LAUNCH CALLED OFF FOR THE SAME REASON)
====================================================================
https://www.quora.com/When-is-a-sol...et-LVM3-by-ISRO-use-a-solid-rocket-propellant

Due to high propellant density, solid rocket motors produce high amount of thrust, but it has lower specific impulse i.e. it will burn out very fast.
Liquid propellant has higher specific impulse but they produce lower thrust, that means it can burn continuously for longer duration but will provide lower thrust amount. So, to produce more thrust more no of engines will be required.
Due to presence of high atmospheric pressure, lower stages of rockets are designed to give very high thrust, so that the rocket could climb to high altitude very fast where atmospheric pressure will be low. To do that either solid rocket engines or multiple stages of liquid or cryogenic engines are used.
====================================================================
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-NASA-use-solid-rocket-boosters

Solid boosters suck in a number of ways. First, they can’t be stopped, started, or throttled up and down. This is bad for accuracy and makes them bad for most deep space missions, which often need many burns.

Second, their specific impulse (essentially, mpg for rocketry) is meh compared to most liquid propellants. Thirdly, when they fail, there’s rarely any warning, unlike liquid propellant systems, in which many failure modes give warnings and at least a slight chance of shutting down or aborting. And if you do want to escape from a failing solid it’s hard, since acceleration can’t be shut off, so you’d need an even stronger solid escape motor to pull you away from the still-accelerating rocket.

What solids are really good for is the ability to store then and fire them at a moment’s notice, which is why our missiles are all solids. But neither of these is a huge priority for NASA’s application, since NASA rarely has to deal with surprise launch needs. They also have a lower development cost, which is good for political/programmatic reasons. But in the long term, they are more expensive than liquids, especially if we make the liquid boosters reusable. So still a bad idea.

Now _hybrid_ rockets, which usually pair solid fuel with liquid oxidizer, and which are throttleable, are another story, and are worth some consideration. I suspect they still lose out, however, because they are probably harder to make reusable.
======================================================================

Solid fuel Pros

• Can achieve very high thrust (each of the Shuttle’s SRBs produced more than twice as much thrust as the three Shuttle main engines combined).
  • Much simpler (they’re basically a long tube with solid fuel inside and a simpler metal skirt as nozzle at the end), thus in general more reliable.
  • Because of their simplicity they’re cheaper to develop/test/build.
  • Very easily storable fully-fueled for very long times.
Cons

• Horrible Isp (mass/thrust efficiency) compared to liquid-fueled engines: the Shuttle’s RS-25 has an Isp of 366 seconds a sea-level, while the SRBs had an Isp of 242 seconds — that +100 s difference is huge in rocketry
  • Can’t be throttled or shut down once they’re lit, so they’re one-time affairs. That means they’re no good if you need the ability to perform multiple burns, if you want launch abort capability after lighting, if you need precise real-time throttle control (like for soft-landing a rocket stage), etc. (Note that their thrust does not have to be constant, but the thrust profile is determined at design time and can’t be changed during flight.)
For very small rockets (think hobbyist or missiles) and “light-lift” orbital rockets (like the Minotaur-C , a four-stage all-solid launch vehicle with a 1320 kg capacity to LEO) their simplicity and low cost makes them the preferred choice. In such mission profiles you don’t need throttling capacity, and the light payloads mean the low Isp isn’t too much of a problem.

For launching heavier payloads into orbit their low Isp really starts to hurt, so the extra cost and complexity of liquid-fueled engines becomes justified. Still, building very large liquid-fueled engines is difficult, so many past and current launch systems use a combination of both solid- and liquid-fueled engines in an attempt to balance each’s advantages and disadvantages.
You did not provide any evidence that solid fueled MIRV missiles have liquid fueled stages. The pros and cons of solid and liquid fueled rockets are well known. Having a liquid fueled stage would defeat the entire purpose of having a solid fueled missile in the first place as it would require the usual 30 minutes preparation for launch during which your launchers are vulnerable to enemy attack.

Clearly this wasn't what i meant but why should i argue with fan boys

Bhai, aap ek jaga complain karaiho ho orr phir mana bhi nahi karahai. I am not a fanboy lol. It just doesn't make sense that you're complaining about Pakistan conducting missile tests simply because our neighbour can afford better equipment like S-400's. Get it through your head rather instead of commenting me off as a fanboy. thank you.

Xr Sam is cost effective as indigenous. Not better than s-400

All derivatives of LR Sam are unmatched SAMs. It San even shoot down even a supersonic cruise missiles Brahms which no other missile in world can do. It is much more accurate than any Sam. It just do not have the range of S 400.

All derivatives of LR Sam are unmatched SAMs. It San even shoot down even a supersonic cruise missiles Brahms which no other missile in world can do. It is much more accurate than any Sam. It just do not have the range of S 400.
No Hari. Accuracy has to do with many other things like software , seeker etc afaik.
Xr Sam because of it's better propulsion system has more range and speed.

Accuracy is a different ball game.

Ghori was a tough administrator!!! After a failed mission to conquer Hindustan, he put sacks of barley across the necks of his top commanders and paraded them across the streets of Kabul!!! For the next expedition he chose an ex slave Aybek for the top post, and the rest is history!!! Maybe some lessons for Imran Bey....

Tebrik-ler....

Damn , almost 2 decades ago test range for ghauri was 700 km , ( my own father was in the test team)
It's almost doubled now
@Oscar @The Deterrent -- it seems the Ghauri was iteratively improved over the years. Is this an example of Pakistan improving its liquid fuel rocket technology? I understand the SLV work is completely separate, but any chance the resources that had gone into the Ghauri et. al were shifted to SLVs (thus leaving the bulk of all new ballistic missile work for solid fuel)?

@Oscar @The Deterrent -- it seems the Ghauri was iteratively improved over the years. Is this an example of Pakistan improving its liquid fuel rocket technology? I understand the SLV work is completely separate, but any chance the resources that had gone into the Ghauri et. al were shifted to SLVs (thus leaving the bulk of all new ballistic missile work for solid fuel)?

As I said earlier, this Ghauri looks sleeker and longer...

bhai ye kis zamany ka missile nikal liya kapra maar ke ?
:lol:
Yar Imran sb aisa na kaho this was the first missle Pakistan tested and at the time the reaction from India was just amazing. Everytime Ghauri is fired, it gives that feeling back.

:lol:
Yar Imran sb aisa na kaho this was the first missle Pakistan tested and at the time the reaction from India was just amazing. Everytime Ghauri is fired, it gives that feeling back.
اس بات پر ایک ادورا شعر یاد آیا

وہ دن بھی کیا عجیب تھے
جب ہم اور تم غریب تھے

It is an intermediate range low cost missile. Firing a salvo of these on an S-400 with conventional pay load will do the job. I think in today's test they tested war head accuracy and S-400 has 400 km range where as this missile has 1300 so India need to keep S-400 away from our border to defend the system its self.

I think today's test was for conventional war head.

You don;t need accuracy to kill an S-400 or any other sensor, nor a salvo of missiles
You only need a mini nuke tipped missile that can explode above the operational range of the defense system and create an EMP to fry all the sensors...

I'm not in Pakistan right now ( probably won't be for a year) but I have a whole decorative model with date and max range of 700 km ,
I assume the focus shifted more towards the likes of shaheen series ( inc ababeel) and more so to cruise missiles and nasr etc, already the amount of projects ASFC and co are carrying out or remarkable for the budget they get

People seem to have overlooked the fact that apart from other improvements, the earlier operational range of 1100 km has been increased to 1300 km in the new version of Ghauri system.

Can you please provide a reference for that?

Can you please provide a reference for that?
The Ghauri–I was first test fired at 7:25hrs on 6 April 1998 from the Tilla Test Range near Malute, Jhelum Cantt which is about 76mi(122.31km) south of the Islamabad. It was fired from a transporter erector launcher and traveled 1,100 km (680 mi) in a flight lasting 9 minutes and 58 seconds. It climbed to a height of 350km before turning in the direction of its planned impact area in the desert of Balochistan where it hit the designated target at 7:33hrs.

Rawalpindi - October 08, 2018
No PR-308/2018-ISPR
Pakistan today successfully conducted Training Launch of Ghauri Missile System. The launch was conducted by Army Strategic Forces Command and was aimed at testing the operational and technical readiness of Army Strategic Forces Command. Ghauri Ballistic Missile can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads up to a distance of 1300 kms.

The Ghauri–I was first test fired at 7:25hrs on 6 April 1998 from the Tilla Test Range near Malute, Jhelum Cantt which is about 76mi(122.31km) south of the Islamabad. It was fired from a transporter erector launcher and traveled 1,100 km (680 mi) in a flight lasting 9 minutes and 58 seconds. It climbed to a height of 350km before turning in the direction of its planned impact area in the desert of Balochistan where it hit the designated target at 7:33hrs.

Rawalpindi - October 08, 2018
No PR-308/2018-ISPR

Pakistan today successfully conducted Training Launch of Ghauri Missile System. The launch was conducted by Army Strategic Forces Command and was aimed at testing the operational and technical readiness of Army Strategic Forces Command. Ghauri Ballistic Missile can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads up to a distance of 1300 kms.
IF I remember correctly earlier Ghuri test were conducted for lesser range due to the Pakistan's geographical limitation but Ghauri range was 1300 form the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom