What's new

Pakistan tests Ghauri Missile

This poster is IGNORED!!!

Definitely they can be and its not about cost either, the point is how many can be taken out and in what time? Even if just one out of the hundreds or thousands makes it to the target, objective is achieved.

Just out of interest, I'll try to outline how one may defend against a drone swarm. I have already written this in another thread as well. Here I will expand a bit further.

If the drone swarm has a tight formation, then anti-aircraft fire will decimate it very quickly. A more loose formation can be handled with something like a fuel air bomb, or a thermobaric bomb if collateral damage isn't an issue.

Alternatively, the defending side can unleash its own drone swarm. All they need to do is get close and explode.

Finally, there is always EW/hacking. The drone swarm must get commands from somewhere. Their receivers can be easily jammed. They may rely on GPS signals. GPS can be jammed and/or spoofed. They may rely on IR/Visual sensors. These sensors can be fed wrong signals. Or an EMP pulse type attack can be launched to fry their electronics with microwaves. NOTE that such an EMP pule DOES NOT require a nuclear blast. Modern methods are available to create EMP bursts without nuclear explosions.

those are consumer quad-copters... A purpose built military drone wont be easy to take out like that.

Apart from anti air guns and smaller missiles with proximity fuses, I'm sure the necessary electronic warfare systems will be developed as and when necessary to take out such swarm drones.
Bigger more shielded drones and UAVs aren't immune to EW so I doubt smaller drones will be either.

This poster is IGNORED!!!

Definitely they can be and its not about cost either, the point is how many can be taken out and in what time? Even if just one out of the hundreds or thousands makes it to the target, objective is achieved.

Really? 1 out of 100 or even 1000s?

I doubt 1 is enough to disable any kind of unit.
If size didn't matter, missiles like say Anti-radiation missiles would have been way smaller.

That was just a small piece of foam and Columbia many times bigger than any SAM missile system, a bullet is just a few grams compared to a jet yet it brings it down. An ASM is nothing compared to a naval ship, it it sinks it to the bottom of the sea, No size does not matter!

Missiles are big because they carry many different systems in them, they are big because they carry a lot of fuel for extended ranges, and they carry a lot of explosive to ensure damage to the system even if they miss the target by some meters.

Really? 1 out of 100 or even 1000s?

I doubt 1 is enough to disable any kind of unit.
If size didn't matter, missiles like say Anti-radiation missiles would have been way smaller.

That was just a small piece of foam and Columbia many times bigger than any SAM missile system, a bullet is just a few grams compared to a jet yet it brings it down. An ASM is nothing compared to a naval ship, it it sinks it to the bottom of the sea, No size does not matter!

Missiles are big because they carry many different systems in them, they are big because they carry a lot of fuel for extended ranges, and they carry a lot of explosive to ensure damage to the system even if they miss the target by some meters.

Are you presuming a missile being hit by a small drone while it's in motion or while it's still on the ground?
Even so, I still don't see how they are analogous.
Missiles maybe big but never as big as a space shuttle which has far too many vulnerable moving parts jutting out than a sleeker, smaller and far more agile SAM, and an S-400 unit will have far more than a single missile so I still have my doubts how an entire unit can be hindered by just mini drones

Considering the foam was a part of the space shuttle and hence was extremely close to the orbiter wing, it would take a $hit ton factors to to play just right for that one supposedly "small yet powerful enough" drone to be released among many by a transport aircraft in a hostile airspace laced with EW interference and heavens know what other counter measures and then get close enough to hit that one agile SAM launched from a shoot and scoot'able S-400 unit.:o:
It might just be easier and way less riskier to search and destroy the S-400s with a swarm of anti-radiation missiles.

Tilla hasn't been used for launching Ghauris since the early 2000s. They moved to a western facility.
The entire flight path is still over land.
Yup, it havent been used for years now, that is why i was surprised when i felt that this might be Tilla. If you are sure its not Tilla, well, may be that is the case.

Apart from anti air guns and smaller missiles with proximity fuses, I'm sure the necessary electronic warfare systems will be developed as and when necessary to take out such swarm drones.
Bigger more shielded drones and UAVs aren't immune to EW so I doubt smaller drones will be either.

Buddy, military drone like say a version of Uqab don't ave electrical motors, they are autonomous and have military grade electronics. And what such a UAV swarm will lack, will be made up by numbers, thats why I am talking about a swarm not a unitary drone attacking an IAD.

Last edited:
Guys learn from Israel when they sent DRONES to fool Egyptian anti aircraft missile batteries, Egyptian saw big air attack and launched anti aircraft missile and emptied their launchers and after the DRONES real Israeli fighter aircraft entered Egypt to destroy anti aircraft missile batteries and achieved full air dominance in next days.

If SUPARCO is receiving it then any chance of space launch vehicle?
SLV is in the works (not sure if it has been hit by the 'austerity' drive though), but SUPARCO will focus on satellites only. Not sure how Abdali is related to any SLV, unless you mean side boosters (which could be possible, but unlikely).

Back
Top Bottom