What's new

Pakistan tests Ghauri Missile

The main problem is the power pack to give endurance to such a tiny machine. I am not saying it isn't possible, I am only saying that video is not the proof.
Hi @CriticalThought
Power pack is one among many things that need to be taken care of. There are so many technologies that one need to accomplish in that video, I will explain it here-
(A) Image recognition and Tracking
(B) Obstacle Avoidance algorithms like RRT*, Spherical Expansion etc.
(C) Position and Attitude Control
In order to effectively accomplish #A, one would need GPUs or as many cuda cores as possible. What I mean by effectively doing is, the amount of time taken by the onboard computer to process the image and run NN based classifier, should be an order smaller than the time scale of the dynamics of the vehicle. Once you have identified the person with let's say 97+% accuracy, you need to run centroid tracking to track the person.
Now, moving onto #B, you would need stereographic cameras or LRFs that gives a depth map of the surrounding using which you will construct the reference path. This reference path will be constructed with initial point being the present location of the drone and final point being the centroid of the image that the drone is supposed to track. Once the reference trajectory has been generated, it needs to be fed to the #C which can be anything from as simple as PID to as advanced as real time NNs.
In short this arrangement will need a lot of processing power and lot of juice!

Do you know what they use during army firing training?
Old ammo! makes sense?

i was thinking that Ghauri is liquid based and is being phased out..i am surpised we testing them

most of these technologies are now available in any good quality commercial drones

Hi @CriticalThought
Power pack is one among many things that need to be taken care of. There are so many technologies that one need to accomplish in that video, I will explain it here-
(A) Image recognition and Tracking
(B) Obstacle Avoidance algorithms like RRT*, Spherical Expansion etc.
(C) Position and Attitude Control
In order to effectively accomplish #A, one would need GPUs or as many cuda cores as possible. What I mean by effectively doing is, the amount of time taken by the onboard computer to process the image and run NN based classifier, should be an order smaller than the time scale of the dynamics of the vehicle. Once you have identified the person with let's say 97+% accuracy, you need to run centroid tracking to track the person.
Now, moving onto #B, you would need stereographic cameras or LRFs that gives a depth map of the surrounding using which you will construct the reference path. This reference path will be constructed with initial point being the present location of the drone and final point being the centroid of the image that the drone is supposed to track. Once the reference trajectory has been generated, it needs to be fed to the #C which can be anything from as simple as PID to as advanced as real time NNs.
In short this arrangement will need a lot of processing power and lot of juice!

most of these technologies are now available in any good quality commercial drones
Some of them might be available but not all. I dont think you fully grasp the challenges here. In case you failed to read, I clearly mentioned that in order to perform the aforementioned task, the drone would require #A, #B and #C. Kindly note there is "and" and not "or". Also a point to note is, there is no drone out there that can perform all the three with the kind of shape and size depicted in the video. I am saying this because I have published a lot of research papers at AIAA, IEEE in the same topic. Thanks in advance!

Do you understand the difference between "most" and "All"? In my post I said most, not all.

I am well aware of the challenges, how do you came to the conclusion that I don't have full grasp?

Actually I don't need to read your post to appreciate the challenges, You think only you know what different technologies are needed and that face recognition "#A" is not a substitute of autonomous flying "#B". Either you suffer from severe superiority complexity or have an attitude problem. Are you the only one who saw school in your whole family?

Nobody said the drones have to be the same size as in the video (which was posted as a reference to explain the idea). Probably you didn't go through the whole thread in your eagerness to impress us with your Phd papers.

So that was the real reason you came here to pat yourself on the back, boasting that you have published a lot of research papers?

I know you and your type pretty well, I think I wrote it once before too, you behave like the pet who raises a leg to take a leak .... not realising how abhorrent and disgusting that looks but out of your habit and urge to appear most educated and most knowledgeable, looking down at every other person you engage in discussions with, you have to keep one leg up. Keep it up, we call that attitude 'Indian".

Remember my id "Thorough Pro" and never engage with me again. I am different, I don't give a **** and I kick ***, especially the one that thinks very highly of itself.

Some of them might be available but not all. I dont think you fully grasp the challenges here. In case you failed to read, I clearly mentioned that in order to perform the aforementioned task, the drone would require #A, #B and #C. Kindly note there is "and" and not "or". Also a point to note is, there is no drone out there that can perform all the three with the kind of shape and size depicted in the video. I am saying this because I have published a lot of research papers at AIAA, IEEE in the same topic. Thanks in advance!

Though that would be ideal but it is still in test phase and I don't think china is going to share that tech with anyone anytime soon and even if they did that is going to cost a fortune.

The main difference between offensive and defensive strategies/weapon systems is that no defense is ever going to last forever, the luck always favours offense despite some initial setbacks. The key is willingness to come on top, perseverance and a fighting mindset.

Here is how aerial warfare is being fought everywhere in the world: superpowers like America refuse to even fly their planes in the face of solid air defence. They first concentrate on taking out the air defence before flying a single sortie.

There is a good reason for this. It is not worth losing a plane costing hundreds of millions of dollars to a SAM missile. Now, all these countries have the privilege of being situated far from their main enemies, or having enough strategic depth to keep their air assets safe.

The geography of Pakistan and proximity of our enemy present a unique problem. No amount of fighting spirit is going to change the situation when a saturation attack of Brahmos missiles is launched at us. You need to:

1. Either be able to track Brahmos systems and know when they are going to be launched and then destroy them before they are launched.

2. Or perform a preemptive strike and take them out before the Indians get a chance to use them.

3. Or take them out while they are in flight.

Note I didn't mention the fourth option of launching our own attack.

Pakistan has a limited number of strategic sites that form the backbone of our defence. Forward airbases, and air defence radars cost millions of dollars. If they get taken out in a first strike, our position will be extremely weakened. So we need to come up with a creative plan to safeguard our prime assets.

Do you understand the difference between "most" and "All"? In my post I said most, not all.

I am well aware of the challenges, how do you came to the conclusion that I don't have full grasp?

Actually I don't need to read your post to appreciate the challenges, You think only you know what different technologies are needed and that face recognition "#A" is not a substitute of autonomous flying "#B". Either you suffer from severe superiority complexity or have an attitude problem. Are you the only one who saw school in your whole family?

Nobody said the drones have to be the same size as in the video (which was posted as a reference to explain the idea). Probably you didn't go through the whole thread in your eagerness to impress us with your Phd papers.

So that was the real reason you came here to pat yourself on the back, boasting that you have published a lot of research papers?

I know you and your type pretty well, I think I wrote it once before too, you behave like the pet who raises a leg to take a leak .... not realising how abhorrent and disgusting that looks but out of your habit and urge to appear most educated and most knowledgeable, looking down at every other person you engage in discussions with, you have to keep one leg up. Keep it up, we call that attitude 'Indian".

Remember my id "Thorough Pro" and never engage with me again. I am different, I don't give a **** and I kick ***, especially the one that thinks very highly of itself.

LOLZ!!!!!! Well said :D

Last edited:

Hi @Thorough Pro
I believe you need to revisit the thread to see who replied to whom. I never replied to you "first". I was responding to @CriticalThought , wherein he was talking about some of the challenges. Oh and you really dont know anything, I am pretty sure, you would have never coded anything even remotely close to a classifier in your entire life. I have seen the level of posts and the quality of arguments around here. Now before you call someone something, do look for the credentials. It must really hurt right, when the person you throw mud on happens to be way more capable than you yourself are? Also since no worthwhile research really comes out of Pakistan, you wont really know the importance- I can totally understand that! I know people like you severely lack intellectual honesty but still having some wont hurt! When was the last time you actually implemented any of those on a real flying system like lets say maybe a quadcopter? Instead of claiming to know "my type", first go and educate yourself and learn to talk properly in a forum. Dont make this forum a mirror image of what happens in your place. If you disagree with any of my arguments, either do not reply, or in case you are replying, try to make your point with solid proof that is credible and not rants.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The pictures, plus i did not saw a statement claiming otherwise. Ghauri series was developed by KRL and they use Tilla for test firing. Also the landscape of the area in pictures from the last test looked similar to landscape of that area anyway so i said it. Do you know something else? where was it fired from? The pictures sure look like Tilla range.
So? You got anything on this? Wasn't it launched from Tilla? It looked like it.
Another point, it was NOT launched into the sea. We have used tilla previously for tests with flight path staying over land!

The pictures, plus i did not saw a statement claiming otherwise. Ghauri series was developed by KRL and they use Tilla for test firing. Also the landscape of the area in pictures from the last test looked similar to landscape of that area anyway so i said it. Do you know something else? where was it fired from? The pictures sure look like Tilla range.
So? You got anything on this? Wasn't it launched from Tilla? It looked like it.
Another point, it was NOT launched into the sea. We have used tilla previously for tests with flight path staying over land!
Tilla hasn't been used for launching Ghauris since the early 2000s. They moved to a western facility.
The entire flight path is still over land.

Is The Ghaznavi (missile) also from the Shaheen family missile program and are the Hatf-1 Abdali missile and Ghaznavi still in production, which role have this 4 Types of missiles, Hatf-1,Ghazvani, Ghaurie when we have shaheen 1-2 and 3
No, Ghaznavi is basically licensed DF-11. Shaheen-I was based on DF-11A, it can be termed as an extended range version. Shaheen-II has no known predecessor from China with similar flight characteristics. Shaheen-III & Ababeel are improvements made on existing Shaheen-II to counter BMDs.

Hatf-1 has been retired, Abdali never went into serial production because it was redundant (Ghaznavi does the job already). Ghaznavi might or might not be in production.

Ghaznavi is an short range system (up to 290km range). The Shaheen series is for longer ranges (700-2700km).

Hatf-1 has been retired, Abdali never went into serial production because it was redundant (Ghaznavi does the job already). Ghaznavi might or might not be in production.

How would you explain then the Abdali tests, the last one was 2013:

"On 28 May 2002, the Abdali–I was first successfully test fired from Sonmiani Test Range and reached its designated range of 110mi (180km). The Pakistani military information source, the ISPR noted the test trial as "successful" and concluded its testing "for now". Further and additional tests were conducted on 2005 and 2006. Abdali is currently deployed and under production. Concurrently, the Abdali-I was again tested out from the TEL system and continues to reach its range of 110mi (180km). Its last tests were conducted on 13 February 2013, the Abdali-I was test fired."

How would you explain then the Abdali tests, the last one was 2013:

"On 28 May 2002, the Abdali–I was first successfully test fired from Sonmiani Test Range and reached its designated range of 110mi (180km). The Pakistani military information source, the ISPR noted the test trial as "successful" and concluded its testing "for now". Further and additional tests were conducted on 2005 and 2006. Abdali is currently deployed and under production. Concurrently, the Abdali-I was again tested out from the TEL system and continues to reach its range of 110mi (180km). Its last tests were conducted on 13 February 2013, the Abdali-I was test fired."
Abdali is SUPARCO's project, they just tried to keep it alive and improving by testing. The Army didn't have any need for Abdali (in its current form), it offers no capability in addition to Ghaznavi.

However it is being reincarnated, stay tuned.

Abdali is SUPARCO's project, they just tried to keep it alive and improving by testing. The Army didn't have any need for Abdali (in its current form), it offers no capability in addition to Ghaznavi.

However it is being reincarnated, stay tuned.

I always thought it would be a nice analogue of ATACMS type battle field missile.

This poster is IGNORED!!!

Hi @Thorough Pro
I believe you need to revisit the thread to see who replied to whom. I never replied to you "first". I was responding to @CriticalThought , wherein he was talking about some of the challenges. Oh and you really dont know anything, I am pretty sure, you would have never coded anything even remotely close to a classifier in your entire life. I have seen the level of posts and the quality of arguments around here. Now before you call someone something, do look for the credentials. It must really hurt right, when the person you throw mud on happens to be way more capable than you yourself are? Also since no worthwhile research really comes out of Pakistan, you wont really know the importance- I can totally understand that! I know people like you severely lack intellectual honesty but still having some wont hurt! When was the last time you actually implemented any of those on a real flying system like lets say maybe a quadcopter? Instead of claiming to know "my type", first go and educate yourself and learn to talk properly in a forum. Dont make this forum a mirror image of what happens in your place. If you disagree with any of my arguments, either do not reply, or in case you are replying, try to make your point with solid proof that is credible and not rants.
Thanks in advance!

Definitely they can be and its not about cost either, the point is how many can be taken out and in what time? Even if just one out of the hundreds or thousands makes it to the target, objective is achieved.

Back
Top Bottom