What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

1481604347798.jpg

Just a nice pic

Last edited:
1481605662674.jpg

Confirmed: Pakistan Air Force now Operates 70 JF-17 Fighter Jets.

The new number was released by Pakistan’s National Assembly in early December.

By Franz-Stefan Gady
December 13, 2016

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) operates a total of 70 Pakistan Aeronautical Complex/Chengdu Aerospace Corporation (PAC/CAC) JF-17 Thunder fighter jets, the National Assembly Standing Committee on Defense Production revealed in Islamabad on December 7, according to local media reports.

The PAF now fields about an equal number of JF-17 and U.S.-made F-16 multirole fighter aircraft of all variants. (After U.S. lawmakers stalled financing for an additional eight F-16C/D Block-52 fighter aircraft, Pakistan is now mulling the purchase of eight used F-16s from the Royal Jordanian Air Force.)

The JF-17, first inducted into the PAF in 2011, is a lightweight, single-engine, multirole combat aircraft, powered by a Russian-designed-but-Chinese-built Klimov RD-93 (a RD-33 derivative) turbofan, capable of reaching a top speed of Mach 1.6. The aircraft allegedly has an operational range of around 1,200 kilometers (745 miles).

In total, the PAF plans to acquire 150 JF-17s over the next years divided into three production blocks: Block-I, Block II, and Block-III. So far, the PAF has only received Block-I and Block-II variants of the aircraft. 50 out of the 70 JF-17 in service are of the Block-I variant. The PAF last inducted 16 Block-II JF-17s in April.

As I noted elsewhere, according to the chief of air staff, Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, Pakistan achieved its goal of producing 16 JF-17 Thunder aircraft in 2015 and wants to produce a total number of 24 Block-II JF-17 aircraft by the end of 2016. Next to carrying a heavier weapons payload, Block-II variants feature a new air-to-air refueling probe, an enhanced oxygen system, and an improved electronic countermeasures system, among other things.

Pakistan produces 58 percent of the airframe and China 42 percent respectively. Islamabad has the capacity to assemble up to 25 JF-17s per year without Beijing’s technical assistance. However, as I noted in April 2015, according to Chinese and Pakistani media reports, China agreed to deliver 110 JF-17s to Pakistan in fly-away condition due to Pakistan’s still limited aircraft manufacturing capacity.

The JF-17 was originally developed to to replace the PAF’s aging fleet of Dassault Mirage III/5 fighter jets by 2o20. “Pakistan is looking to replace 190 aircraft—primarily Chengdu F-7 and Dassault Mirage III/5 fighter jets—by 2020 presumably with a mixture of F-16 and JF-17 aircraft. Pakistan, however, is also allegedly in talks with Russia over the purchase of Su-35 multi-role fighters,” I reported in April (See: “China and Pakistan Air Forces Launch Joint Training Exercise”).

China and Pakistan are also developing a combat-capable two-seat trainer variant of the JF-17, which likely will make its maiden flight in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
A new dog in the fight

China's recent unveiling to potential export customers of its PL-10 imaging-infrared guided air-to-air missile was a testament to the country's growing weapons-design capabilities. As Douglas Barrie explains, just a handful of nations have so far mastered this technology and this model is likely emerge as the standard imaging-infrared missile in the PLAAF inventory.

Date: 29 November 2016

pl-10%20blog%20pic%20630x230.jpg

By Douglas Barrie, Senior Fellow for Military Aerospace

China has joined a so far exclusive club of nations capable of designing and developing high agility imaging-infrared guided air-to-air missiles (AAMs). As well as being introduced into the air force, the PL-10 missile has already been put on show for possible export customers. The missile was displayed for the first time at Air Show China, held in Zhuhai in early November.

Given the close ties between China and Pakistan on the JF-17 light fighter programme, Islamabad is an obvious candidate as the first export customer for China’s latest ‘dogfight’ missile. Beijing has previously supplied its PL-5 and PL-7 infrared-guided missiles as part of weapons packages to other air forces including those of: Bangladesh, Iran, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan and Venezuela.

The PL-10 represents a considerably more capable design than Beijing has previously been able to offer. Only a handful of countries have the capability to design and develop high-agility imaging infrared AAMs. Only six such missiles are in service: the US AIM-9X, the British ASRAAM, the French Mica-IR, the European multi-national IRIS-T, the Israeli Python 5 and the Japanese AAM-5. The South African A-Darter is nearing service entry, while Russia has yet to field – or offer for export – an imaging infrared AAM.

The Luoyang PL-10 will provide the PLAAF with a successor to the PL-8 – effectively the Israeli Python 3 AAM – and the Russian R-73 (AA-11 Archer), which are the two most capable short-range missiles in its inventory.

The missile uses a similar aerodynamic configuration to the IRIS-T, the once proposed Ukrainian Gran, and indeed the Japanese AAM-5, with small fixed destabilisers to the rear of the seeker dome, narrow span mid-body wings and all moving cruciform tail surfaces.

The rear fins also have a distinctive notch on the trailing surfaces. Design insight may have been gained from Russia, South Africa and Ukraine. The PL-10 also appears to use an umbilical fitting similar to that of the R-73, potentially allowing the weapon to be fitted to the same launch pylon.

Launch weights varying between 89kg and 105kg have been claimed for the missile. Given that it uses a combination of thrust vector and aerodynamic control, and the drag penalty that this incurs, it is likely to be at the upper end of this weight range. As of late 2015, some 30 test-firings had been carried out. Development of the missile has been probably been under way for around 15 years.

The missile is believed to have been provided to the PLAAF in a small initial batch. It has been seen fitted for testing on the J-10, the J-11 and the J-20. If the service trials are successful, the weapon will likely emerge as the standard imaging-infrared missile in the PLAAF inventory and as the replacement for the PL-5, PL-7 and PL-9 infrared missiles that Chinese industry has previously supplied to export customers.

What ever happened to PL-9C that was touted to be part of JF-17s weapons package?

Malik Faheem promoted to Air Vice Marshal

-File photo

The Government of Pakistan has promoted Air Commodore Malik Faheem Ullah to the rank of Air Vice Marshal. Air Vice Marshal Malik Faheem Ullah was commissioned in GD (P) Branch of Pakistan Air Force in January, 1988.

He is a qualified Flying Instructor. During his illustrious career, he has commanded a Fighter Squadron, a Fighter Wing and an Operational Air Base.

In his staff appointments, he has served as Director Training Officers at Air Headquarters and Senior Staff Officer (Operations) at Central Air Command.

He is a graduate of Combat Commanders’ School, Air War College, National Defence University Islamabad and Command and Staff College China. He holds Master’s degree in Strategic Studies. He is a recipient of Sitara-i-Imtiaz(Military).

http://aaj.tv/2016/12/malik-faheem-promoted-to-air-vice-marshal/

PAF has following capable aircraft in inventory now:

70 JF-17
76 F-16

33 Mirage-III ROSE-I (IRST equipped) They are great for interception roles, probably can do strike missions too
20 Mirage-V ROSE-II (FLIR equipped) Excellent for strike missions
14 Mirage-V ROSE-III (FLIR equipped) Excellent for Night strike missions

These Mirages share the burden of Strike missions with JF-17 and F-16.

Total = 213

70 JF-17
76 F-16

33 Mirage-III ROSE-I (IRST equipped) They are great for interception roles, probably can do strike missions too

Total = 213

Ur forgetting to add the f7 pg to that list. As its an excellent point defence fighter...with its double cranked delta wings n bvr capability..it's more than a match for most fighters

Last edited:

70 JF-17
76 F-16

53 F-7PG excellent point defence fighter and capabile of delivering CAS and PGM's

Ur forgetting to add the f7 pg to that list. As its an excellent point defence fighter...with its double cranked delta wings n bvr capability..it's more than a match for most fighters
I did give a thought about F-7 PG. its frame is fairly new, capabilities are somewhat limited. I find it more of a compromise. However, i certainly dont view it as a crap fighter.

PAF holds it in good esteem.

New sqn badges

The following new sqn are raised in last decade or less does any one has their badges
Or sqn insignia ?
1. No 4 sqn awacs k-3
2 No 10 mrtt sqn il78
3 No 13 awacs sqn Saab 2K
4 No 21 transport sqn c130

THE C130 ABOVE is from 6 sqn badge on the nose rhs

This fills the gap from 1 to 27 sqn plus 41 sqn being the 28th sqn and counting Ccs as 1 full sqn strength (jf, f7 and mirages) makes paf total 29 sqns of course not counting risal-pur based training sqn (2 wings) and 7/8 heli sqns

Back
Top Bottom