What's new

Pakistan ahead of India in literacy rate: UN

OK, I finally managed to get my hands on the actual report. The full report can be downloaded here:UNFPA - State of World Population 2009

I have gone through the report and compiled the matter or material being discussed in an image as follows:

5d7c88bb8566d744da34dd041fc26661.jpg

ICPD = International Conference on Population and Development

And following is what is reported in Pakistani media:

According to report, total 32.3 percent male while 60.4 percent female aged above 15 years are literate in Pakistan,

But however, on the contrary to aforementioned calculation, there are only 23.1 percent male and 45.5 percent female aged over 15 years enjoy education in India.

It is clear that the person who 'read' the report took '% illiterate' for '% literate'. In Pakistan 9.2% males and 14.9% females of >15 years old are more illiterate as compared to India. Bottom line, India is ahead in literacy than Pakistan, not other way around as mentioned in the news. Sorry for busting the bubble.

Last edited:
Half of the so called literate in the 55% and 60% quoted wont be able to read and write anything beyond their name. Its despicable that even after 60 yrs of independence the state remains so despicable.

We need to learn to expect more from our leaders and ourselves after all the leaders are only a reflection of our own selves in some way.

That is such a cruel practical joke. And it is so true too.

When asked about the potential of India's educated population, Late Dewang Mehta told the board (of Nasscom and CII) that though there is no dearth of engineers in India, few of them are employable.

My Indian friends: Even if the 66% of literacy is the correct figure, it is less a matter of pride and more of shame. Our budget is high, and almost half of the people are still illiterate. We can't hold our heads high in this until the last person is not only literate, but also educated.

My Pakistani friends: Whether Pakistan's literacy rate is higher, or lower than India, it will still not be a matter of pride for you until there is a single person left who cannot read/write. By getting joyous over higher literacy rate than India, you are only entertaining rivalry at the cost of literacy (Well, this last line applies as much all the Indians too - including me lol).

FreaKiN dear, you should not be catching up with India, where half the people are already illiterate Rather your catching up should keep going till the last illiterate person left in Pakistan.

I think we all should stop showing our greater percentage (which are more or less same, and depressingly dismal) over the other, and rather talk about what should be done and what are the prospects of the current education policies in our respective countries.

I am sure we can gain a lot by pooling in here the distinct ideas of the NGOs in our respective countries that are busy in their continuous efforts to not only literate but also educate the people around them.

A very Merry Christmas to all my forum members, and special THANKS to the mods for diligently working even on Holidays!

Both looked quit same, India little better, what are we discussing does few % matter so much. We both needs to work on this, or is it that we feel good that our neighbor is doing bad, without thinking we are no better. It's like I have 104 degree fever but I feel good my neighbor has 105. I consider it quit sick mentality.

Adult literacy rate (%). Total - 2007

Maldives 97.0 (**)
India 66.0 (**)
Nepal 56.5 (**)
Bangladesh 53.5 (**)
Afghanistan ...
Bhutan ...
Iran, Islamic Republic of ...
Pakistan ...
Sri Lanka ...

Here is your link ....now what part of this cant you understand....It shows Indias Literacy rate at 66%....maybe too many numbers together confuse you...try reading a word at a time...that may be of help

My dear friend, not only do you need assistance on your basic arithmetic education, but you’re a far cry of meeting the standard required reading skills of a 6th grader. As displayed by your misleading statistics and erroneous statements. (instinctively or maybe deliberately..)

now what part of this cant you understand....It shows Indias Literacy rate at 66%.

Your Sir are a confused Buffoon at best. Your claiming two separate statistics to be identically the same. Which is not true, if you'd identified the dates (years) or thoroughly examined the data, you would't chose to make such ludicrous statements..(of course I could be mistaken). If you possess an iota of the slightest comprehension, you'd distinguish between 7 years and total of 1 year averages

India has a slow rate of increase in literacy development...(that is why there is little change in it's ratio...., plus remember inda has 1.14 billion population to contend with.....
India's literacy rate growth sluggish: Survey

now what part of this cant you understand....It shows Indias Literacy rate at 66%..

according to your reasoning if anything in India's statistic equals 66 percent: correspondingly Pakistan's must equal 55 percent

and pakistan

click on pakistan

Maldives 97.0 (**)
India 66.0 (**)
Nepal 56.5 (**)
Bangladesh 53.5 (**)
Afghanistan ...
Bhutan ...
Pakistan ... 60 to 70 percent 2009
Sri Lanka ...

Adult illiterate population. Total - 2007

India 269 815 793 (**)
Bangladesh 48 540 933 (**)
Nepal 7 612 170 (**)
Maldives 6 141 (**)
Afghanistan ...
Bhutan ...
Pakistan ... pakistan total population is below 200 million
Sri Lanka ...
... Data not available
** UIS estimation

my troll senses are tingling = "Look there is 66 on the graph... I told you so.. that must mean i am corrected and pakistan literacy rate equals 55 percent as mentioned on my previous post......"

I do not understand this. On the forum we are constantly bombarded with how much better off India is than Pakistan. But in the last 7 days we have a UN report stating that there is less poverty in Pakistan and now they are saying Pakistan is ahead in literacy.

What are we doing right or what are they doing that's wrong?

statistics are bikani, it expose more and cover the required.

can any one post what is definition of literacy in india and pakistan?

India:

Literacy:

definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 61%
male: 73.4%
female: 47.8% (2001 census)

Pakistan:

definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 49.9%
male: 63%
female: 36% (2005 est.)

Source: CIA World Factbook

India has much more literacy than Pakistan and it is increasing at a faster rate than Pakistan. We need to increase our education budget to 8% and really start concentrating on education. Right now its less than 2%.

Back
Top Bottom