What's new

PAF Squadrons - re(naming) Petition

Let's adopt Urdu names...
Urdu names haven't (truly) done wonders.

Minhasians, Haiders, Sherdils, Zarrars, Ababeel, Rahbers and Ghazis.

I'm sorry. Not disrespecting our language, but for Squadron names - most of 'em sound odd. I'm all for Urdu-names for Bases, but 'Zarrars' are the only that I like of the lot from Squadron-names.

Also, I may have mentioned this earlier, but there needs to be a Insignia that goes with the name. If were to pick historic battle-related names, everything would consist of a Sword or a Horse. I believe we've over-extended those two on more than one occasion.

Eat on dead animals

Survive on dead animals

Are not majestic animals.
Is it mentioned in any holy scripture that one needs to find a literal meaning to a Squadron.

We have a Squadron named: Kangaroos

What it Majestic about a kangaroo, especially since it isn't even found in Pakistan, let alone on the bloody Continent.

Q. What do Griffins feed on? Indians?

Is it mentioned in any holy scripture that one needs to find a literal meaning to a Squadron.

What it Majestic about a kangaroo, especially since it isn't even found in Pakistan, let alone on the bloody Continent.

The names usually are given based on an idea/philosophy behind it. Bandits, tail choppers, aggressors, sky bolts, eagles etc. I get your point that kangaroos is a weird name however what idea are you bring by naming a squadron vulture? Or scavenger?

Kangroos I believe is name of a PAF transport Squadron, it represents a subject that can jolt from one place to another rapidly while carrying a load in its pouch.
A USN Squadron of F/A 18s is called Pukin Dogs, if you think PAF unit names are not appropriate, just look up the meaning of the above term.

A USN Squadron of F/A 18s is called Pukin Dogs, if you think PAF unit names are not appropriate, just look up the meaning of the above term.
That's the US Navy. We aren't even gonna compare with 'em because there would be the Islam debate that will reignite all over again.

They & the USAF both have Squadrons called: The Grim Reapers

I doubt we'll ever see anything similar, even though you'll find Patches representing Death, Skull & Bones...

I get your point that kangaroos is a weird name however what idea are you bring by naming a squadron vulture? Or scavenger?
I threw some other names in that list too, but you seem to have picked up on those...in particular - even though only one was suggested for the Mirage. I even said Deltas & Leopards.

Any-who...what does Bandits or Dashings represent? Those names are just as dumb.

...and what does Black Spiders represent?

Fighter Squadrons should sound something deadly (or even cool for that matter).

Finally, the names don't necessarily have to be restricted to wildlife - even though that's the norm when it comes to naming Squadrons.

I threw some other names in that list too, but you seem to have picked up on those...in particular - even though only one was suggested for the Mirage. I even said Deltas & Leopards.

Any-who...what does Bandits or Dashings represent? Those names are just as dumb.

...and what does Black Spiders represent?

Fighter Squadrons should sound something deadly (or even cool for that matter).

Finally, the names don't necessarily have to be restricted to wildlife - even though that's the norm when it comes to naming Squadrons.
Young man you have taken offense on a comment of mine while i didn't intend to rile you up. Relax and enjoy.

Young man you have taken offense on a comment of mine while i didn't intend to rile you up. Relax and enjoy.
Young man, you asked the question, I responded. That's how Q&A's go - to my understanding.

Anyways, i'm always chilled & relaxed.

Though this is a very sensitive topic, but to lighten the mood, we should take some time to give our views and raise some questions in regard to the names of our Squadrons in the Air Force.

Q. Why the hell are there Two Squadrons named: Sherdils (Aerobatics & No. 19)?

Q. Why do the Sherdils have a Hawk/Falcon on their Patch and a Lion on the Tail of the F-16?

Q. What's the name of No. 4 Squadron (AEW&C - ZDK-003)?

Note:
- Someone needs to tell PAF that there is no such thing as Phoenixes (No. 28 Squadron - JF-17). Its just: Phoenix!

- Someone needs to change the insignia of the No. 10 Squadron (Bulls), which is not a knockoff/carbon copy of the Chicago Bulls.

- Black Panthers and Black Spiders. Do we really need two of these (JF-17)? Perhaps, just keep 'Panthers'. I assumed the only other Panther was 'Pink'.

Squadrons i'd like re(named):
No. 2 Sqn - Minhasians: Yes, its named after a great War Hero, but i'd prefer a Base named after him, as opposed to a Squadron.
No. 7 Sqn - Bandits: I really despise this name. It sounds like something from a Wild West movie. Had their name been used in place of 'Skybolts' for CCS, my vote would have swung.
No. 28 Squadron - Phoenixes: I think i've made my point earlier.
No. 19 Squadron/K-8 Display Team - One has gotta go. Grab a Webster's Dictionary and pick something, for God sake.
No. 81 Sqn - Kangaroos: Have we relocated...Down Under
No. 83 Sqn - Kites: No, no, no, no, nooooooooo!
No. 84 Sqn - Dolphins: Hell no!
No. 85 Sqn - Saviours: They sound like Bible salesmen.
CCS F-7 - Dashings: Yeah, that's a no brainer. Everytime I hear that name, the image of a swashbuckling Errol Flynn pops in my head.
Sherdil aerobatics is not squadron but a team.

Sherdil aerobatics is not squadron but a team.
That's exactly my point.

One is the name of a Aerobatics Team & the other is the name of a Squadron.

At the end of the day, they are both the same names in different roles for the same Air Force.

What a lack of imagination?

Back
Top Bottom