What's new

PAF Squadrons - re(naming) Petition

Trailer23

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Though this is a very sensitive topic, but to lighten the mood, we should take some time to give our views and raise some questions in regard to the names of our Squadrons in the Air Force.

Q. Why the hell are there Two Squadrons named: Sherdils (Aerobatics & No. 19)?

Q. Why do the Sherdils have a Hawk/Falcon on their Patch and a Lion on the Tail of the F-16?

Q. What's the name of No. 4 Squadron (AEW&C - ZDK-003)?

Note:
- Someone needs to tell PAF that there is no such thing as Phoenixes (No. 28 Squadron - JF-17). Its just: Phoenix!

- Someone needs to change the insignia of the No. 10 Squadron (Bulls), which is not a knockoff/carbon copy of the Chicago Bulls.

- Black Panthers and Black Spiders. Do we really need two of these (JF-17)? Perhaps, just keep 'Panthers'. I assumed the only other Panther was 'Pink'.

Squadrons i'd like re(named):
No. 2 Sqn - Minhasians: Yes, its named after a great War Hero, but i'd prefer a Base named after him, as opposed to a Squadron.
No. 7 Sqn - Bandits: I really despise this name. It sounds like something from a Wild West movie. Had their name been used in place of 'Skybolts' for CCS, my vote would have swung.
No. 28 Squadron - Phoenixes: I think i've made my point earlier.
No. 19 Squadron/K-8 Display Team - One has gotta go. Grab a Webster's Dictionary and pick something, for God sake.
No. 81 Sqn - Kangaroos: Have we relocated...Down Under
No. 83 Sqn - Kites: No, no, no, no, nooooooooo!
No. 84 Sqn - Dolphins: Hell no!
No. 85 Sqn - Saviours: They sound like Bible salesmen.
CCS F-7 - Dashings: Yeah, that's a no brainer. Everytime I hear that name, the image of a swashbuckling Errol Flynn pops in my head.

Attachments

• Sherdils.jpg
    Sherdils.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 161
- Black Panthers and Black Spiders. Do we really need two of these (JF-17)? Perhaps, just keep 'Panthers'. I assumed the only other Panther was 'Pink'.
I am willing to transfer full rights for the name "Black Mamba" otherwise Panther is better than making it black.

I have been confused about it myself. Do they have any similarities as in maybe operating from the same base? even in that case for aerobatics team deserves to have a dedicated name.

Do they have any similarities as in maybe operating from the same base?
The K-8's are based at Pakistan Air Force Academy Asghar Khan.

The F-16's (No. 19 Sqn) are based at PAF Base Bholari.

I suggest a few names:
  • Faateh named after Sultan Muhammad Faateh who conquered Constantine - Opal and announced "Jannetti".
  • Surkhrus (not the red spirit but sounds like it) - the successful and who have done it and are Surkhru before Allah.
  • Ashhads (Ashhadu Alla Ilaha Illallah, the oath takers) - the oath takers who took the oath to defend the Nation and punish those who stand against it.
  • Labaiks (those who are present, لَبَّيْكَ اللَّهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ) - those who present themselves and are present in the moment to safeguard, defend and conquer.
  • Khaybateen (The fear generators: those who induce fear in the hearts of the enemy).
  • Ababeels (the bird Allah used against Elephants), the uncatchable, nifty agile and the ones who create havoc and turn enemy into hay.
  • Maaliks (the owners, also named after Malik-al-moat the angle of the death and Chief of the hell whose name is Maalik)
Some interesting English names
  • The Soul Collectors
  • The Air Benders
  • The Undertakers (those who bury the dead)
  • The Cremators (those who burn the dead)

Last edited:
Minhasians: Yes, its named after a great War Hero, but i'd prefer a Base named after him, as opposed to a Squadron.
There is a base named after him
I am willing to transfer full rights for the name "Black Mamba" otherwise Panther is better than making it black.
When choosing animals, why not choose a name from our local fauna?

Last edited:
Waiting until someone declares the Mythical Griffin as Haram :pop:

Although the Kangaroos really are out of place - there are plenty of native animals who make short hops like the red fox or the ibex.

Though this is a very sensitive topic, but to lighten the mood, we should take some time to give our views and raise some questions in regard to the names of our Squadrons in the Air Force.

Q. Why do the Sherdils have a Hawk/Falcon on their Patch and a Lion on the Tail of the F-16?

Q. What's the name of No. 4 Squadron (AEW&C - ZDK-003)?

Note:
- Someone needs to tell PAF that there is no such thing as Phoenixes (No. 28 Squadron - JF-17). Its just: Phoenix!

- Someone needs to change the insignia of the No. 10 Squadron (Bulls), which is not a knockoff/carbon copy of the Chicago Bulls.

Squadrons i'd like re(named):
No. 2 Sqn - Minhasians: Yes, its named after a great War Hero, but i'd prefer a Base named after him, as opposed to a Squadron.
No. 7 Sqn - Bandits: I really despise this name. It sounds like something from a Wild West movie. Had their name been used in place of 'Skybolts' for CCS, my vote would have swung.
No. 28 Squadron - Phoenixes: I think i've made my point earlier.
No. 19 Squadron/K-8 Display Team - One has gotta go. Grab a Webster's Dictionary and pick something, for God sake.
No. 81 Sqn - Kangaroos: Have we relocated...Down Under
No. 83 Sqn - Kites: No, no, no, no, nooooooooo!
No. 84 Sqn - Dolphins: Hell no!
No. 85 Sqn - Saviours: They sound like Bible salesmen.
CCS F-7 - Dashings: Yeah, that's a no brainer. Everytime I hear that name, the image of a swashbuckling Errol Flynn pops in my head.

1 & 2) Sherdils its the team name and not squadron, so I think its okay. The No 19 MR squadron is from 1958, and the Lion emblem and the name is something new. It was originally called the Warhawks I believe.
EDIT: Looks like its been called Sherdils for a while as well, even when it was operation F-6s. Its possible it has two names, official and unofficial.
3) I think the No. 4 squadron is called the Eagles after the aircraft Karakorum Eagle. It has an eagle head on its emblem as well. Its an old squadron that flew maritime aircraft and helicopters at one time and was number plated in 1969.
Minhasians is an okay name, same as Bandits. Phoenixes ... kinda eh but whatever. Kangroos is a great name given that its a SAR squadron and fits perfectly with its role ... hoping and in out so to say.
Kites is a bird of prey and another fine name.
Dolphins, again a great name a for a SAR squadron that flew out of Masroor and would pick up people dunking in the Arabian sea. Its picked up a lot of flood victims too ... name fits just fine.
Same with Saviours as a SAR squadron.

I think all these names are just fine and proper, asides from perhaps the Minhasians (only one I would change if I could)

Last edited:
there are plenty of native animals who make short hops like the red fox or the ibex
Many of these animals have pretty aswesome sounding names in our local laganuges. If we can name our future submarine family in Bengali then why not a regional language?

Bandits is a great name although needs to be modified to Banditos.

Now if someone could make a patch of a Mexican hat (or a some local hat), two shadowy eyes, a mustache and two revolvers with PL-15s/CM-400s coming out as bullets. Looking at you OP.

That would be great (obviously hoping that it is going to be converted to Thunders or J-10Cs down the line).

Sq names are OK. What we need is innovation in tail art.

I suggest a few names:
  • Faateh named after Sultan Muhammad Faateh who conquered Constantine - Opal and announced "Jannetti".
  • Surkhrus (not the red spirit but sounds like it) - the successful and who have done it and are Surkhru before Allah.
  • Ashhads (Ashhadu Alla Ilaha Illallah, the oath takers) - the oath takers who took the oath to defend the Nation and punish those who stand against it.
  • Labaiks (those who are present, لَبَّيْكَ اللَّهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ) - those who present themselves and are present in the moment to safeguard, defend and conquer.
  • Khaybateen (The fear generators: those who induce fear in the hearts of the enemy).
  • Ababeels (the bird Allah used against Elephants), the uncatchable, nifty agile and the ones who create havoc and turn enemy into hay.
  • Maaliks (the owners, also named after Malik-al-moat the angle of the death and Chief of the hell whose name is Maalik)
Some interesting English names
  • The Soul Collectors
  • The Air Benders
  • The Undertakers (those who bury the dead)
  • The Cremators (those who burn the dead)
Above names less Ababeels give me feeling of infantry unit :pleasantry:

Sherdil should be name of one squadron only. Previously, No 19 was named as Warhawks but some genius renamed it as Sherdil (same as acrobatic team).
And yes, multiple names/logos of squadrons should update and in a more innovative way.

I know it irks a lot of members here and in general Pakistani's as well but instead of importing heroes from other Arab, Turk or Central Asian regions when will be start honouring our heroes, the warriors and people of our land or at least the people who have been instrumental to us, Pakistan or this land at least.

This false bravado "we ruled or took over constantinople........" Nope we never fought, ruled or took over constantinople, it is an achievement of someone else not ours, they should boast about it was not us. We should honour our heroes. Rashid Minhas, Lalak Jan or Aziz Bhatti are far bigger heroes for us than Sultan fateeh can ever be.

The contributions of Władysław Turowicz to PAF and Pakistan are far far greater than those Mamluk rulers. Similarly Ranjeet Singh should be our hero as compared to those afghan invaders.

We all have witnessed the rise of Ertugurl in Pakistan, Believe me our history and the history of the present day Pakistan is no less than any Ertugurl, Mamluk or Mehmet. The sooner we accept it, honour it the earlier we will rise as a nation. Relying on the achievements of others or borrowed history will not take us anywhere. Borrowed history is like borrowed money, it is not an asset just a liability.

Last edited:
As we are doing this one squadron or some fighter jet or drone should be named after Hazrat Jafar Tayar RA. The brother of Hazrat Ali RA who was martyered in Battle of Mutah.
Maula sahab, though I respect your input and opinion on the names, I tend to be a bit reserved when it's connection is to religion.

Why? Because in our culture we tend to use certain explicit words in conversation. PDF itself is an example. Had it not be for Mods and censorship, we'd be seeing a lot more cursing.

I can just picture it now...
"Oh I'm being transfered/station to that f***ing _______ Squadron".

"Haan exercise may uun ______ Squadron ke Maa ko _____ kar deya."

I'm okay with Urdu words/names, but reserved towards Religion.

@graphican

1 & 2) Sherdils its the team name and not squadron
Is there a difference?

I can just picture the conversation:
Person 1: "The Sherdils are flying."
Person 2: "Really, which ones?!!"

They could easily pick another name.
I think the No. 4 squadron is called the Eagles after the aircraft Karakorum Eagle.
No. 25 Squadron is called Eagles based out at Rafiqui.
Sherdil should be name of one squadron only. Previously, No 19 was named as Warhawks but some genius renamed it as Sherdil (same as acrobatic team).
I thought No. 18 Squadron (Sharp Shooters) were called Warhawks earlier.

Back
Top Bottom