What's new

PAF intends to upgrade all JF-17 with AESA radar including older blocks.

If EJ-200 is coming for ME client, is it possible for PAF to get it too? It's totally gonna change JFT allowing powerful radar and avionics etc.

personally i dont see why not ? ME can pay the price they want to with some extra Oil well as Gift from Sheikh we can see JF newer blocks with EJ-200 .. but question is where does EJ-200 stands compared to RD-93MA ?

personally i dont see why not ? ME can pay the price they want to with some extra Oil well as Gift from Sheikh we can see JF newer blocks with EJ-200 .. but question is where does EJ-200 stands compared to RD-93MA ?

Edit.

EJ-200:

wp_ss_20161108_0001.png

http://www.rolls-royce.com/products...roducts/combat-jets/ej200.aspx#ej200-overview

RD-33 Family:

wp_ss_20161108_0002.png

http://klimov.ru/en/production/aircraft/RD-33-family/

Last edited:
Would existing block 1's have enough power for AESA? Or would they also be reengined?

Quite frankly i will not bet on so quickly ,I will wait for Block 3 to roll out with AESA first .

I support @Horus on this. It has always been an intention of PAF to upgrade all the avionics of JF17s to the latest block standard and field a potent AF in good numbers against the enemy. But the story does not end here, we will inshaAllah get some great next gen also with as much or more control over its design, development and manufacturing as JF17s along with some off-the-shelf advance birds.

Last edited:
I am the source. AESA is part of the reverse upgrade program. All Thunders will carry Block-III or better specs once Block-IIIs have been delivered. Installing an AESA radar into a JF-17 shouldn't take more than a few hours, it is a field strip operation. The avionics software can be upgraded too.

Sir, I might be wrong, but as far as I know, once a radar is replaced, it has to go through some serious testing, before the bird can cleared. Are you 100% sure that going from PD to Aesa will only take a "few"hours"?

Sir, I might be wrong, but as far as I know, once a radar is replaced, it has to go through some serious testing, before the bird can cleared. Are you 100% sure that going from PD to Aesa will only take a "few"hours"?
Fitting is one thing and testing it other. I think testing would be done and more when flying

Fitting is one thing and testing it other. I think testing would be done and more when flying

After Installation, testing has two phases:

1) On the Ground
2) In the air

On the Ground is more time consuming, since multiple diagnostic programs are run. One has to finish before the next one can start.

In the air, is easier and faster, because it is simply put through it's paces.

My understanding is that it is not a simple swap. But obviously each manufacturer has it's own procedures.

Back
Top Bottom