What's new

PAF intends to upgrade all JF-17 with AESA radar including older blocks.

SURELY IT will be EJ200 if JFT are going to KSA...
THEy have Typhoons having Same engine plus EJ200 are way more efficient than RD93...

Point to be Noted...
THESE ALSO HAVE THRUST VECTORING CAPABILITIES.
1280px-Nozzle_of_EJ200_afterburning_turbofan_(5).jpg

After Installation, testing has two phases:

1) On the Ground
2) In the air

On the Ground is more time consuming, since multiple diagnostic programs are run. One has to finish before the next one can start.

In the air, is easier and faster, because it is simply put through it's paces.

My understanding is that it is not a simple swap. But obviously each manufacturer has it's own procedures.
I think @Horus referred to the mechanical / physical replacement of the radars but then surely testing will be carried out individually but I think PAC engineers will develop SOPs to test systematically in an optimal way.

Sir, I might be wrong, but as far as I know, once a radar is replaced, it has to go through some serious testing, before the bird can cleared. Are you 100% sure that going from PD to Aesa will only take a "few"hours"?

Not a few hours for the first two or three airframes, but then as it rolls down.
However, the AESA is not going to hit the Block-I.

The RD-93 has enough power to accommodate any future avionics upgrades.

I don't think the Saudis will require the EJ200. Assuming they intend to utilize the JF-17 as a general purpose fighter to carry on from the F-5E Tiger II, the WS-13 should be sufficient.

But EJ-200 would give then commonality with their typhoon.

I don't think the Saudis will require the EJ200. Assuming they intend to utilize the JF-17 as a general purpose fighter to carry on from the F-5E Tiger II, the WS-13 should be sufficient.
They actually might not get the JF-17 at all. GCC Arabs and especially Saudis are NOTORIOUS for showing massive enthusiasm for something and then morning not care at all. This is especially true for people they consider as "smaller".

I think it will be probably be a case where the Saudis will simply go and buy the Gripen or even the F-16.

SURELY IT will be EJ200 if JFT are going to KSA...
THEy have Typhoons having Same engine plus EJ200 are way more efficient than RD93...

Point to be Noted...
THESE ALSO HAVE THRUST VECTORING CAPABILITIES.
1280px-Nozzle_of_EJ200_afterburning_turbofan_(5).jpg

Commonality with typhoon is different thing.. .

Why would anyone go for a engine which have more life than the fighter jet airframe ...

Why would anyone go for a engine which have more life than the fighter jet airframe ...
Block III has all upgraded things Much Payload A Visible CHange in Airframe..
Light and more reliable composites are used for making airframe Which will definitely increase its life Span...Brother..

That is the point I am also trying to explain..

They actually might not get the JF-17 at all. GCC Arabs and especially Saudis are NOTORIOUS for showing massive enthusiasm for something and then morning not care at all. This is especially true for people they consider as "smaller".

I think it will be probably be a case where the Saudis will simply go and buy the Gripen or even the F-16.
They might consider it to lower their war costs in Yemen and reduce airframe usage and maintenance costs on their F-15s (and Typhoons if those are being used for strike). The F-16V is quite plausible, but the Gripen may not be possible as Sweden apparently doesn't want to sell offensive gear to Sadui Arabia.

They might consider it to lower their war costs in Yemen and reduce airframe usage and maintenance costs on their F-15s (and Typhoons if those are being used for strike). The F-16V is quite plausible, but the Gripen may not be possible as Sweden apparently doesn't want to sell offensive gear to Sadui Arabia.
The Swedes are notorious for bribes; so lets see. The Giraffe radar we purchased was purely on kickbacks.

However, the AESA is not going to hit the Block-I.
All Thunders will carry Block-III or better specs once Block-IIIs have been delivered
I see conflict of opinion here.
What Block 1 lacks due to which it is not going to receive AESA radar?
And @Oscar you once mentioned the specific differences between Blk 1&2 as well as the upgrades they are going to receive in coming times. Can you mention them plz? You mentioned them once some year ago

I see conflict of opinion here.
What Block 1 lacks due to which it is not going to receive AESA radar?
And @Oscar you once mentioned the specific differences between Blk 1&2 as well as the upgrades they are going to receive in coming times. Can you mention them plz? You mentioned them once some year ago
Block-1 lacks a few key structural changes, but more importantly; it lacks some internal electronic support that the block-2 has standard.

Lets put it this way, the Block-1 CAN get the AESA without much changes. But they will not have other ancillary systems that will need to be retrofitted to fully take advantage of an upgrade.

They don't like the Sweeds for their use of "Human rights violations" to restrict weapon sales to some countries including KSA, the same as the Germans with their Leopard MBT..
So Gripen is out of the question, and F-16s are no more available, only if hey want it Block 70 V and "Made in KSA"

Sir, I might be wrong, but as far as I know, once a radar is replaced, it has to go through some serious testing, before the bird can cleared. Are you 100% sure that going from PD to Aesa will only take a "few"hours"?

There are prototypes which are used just for testing so if the radar is cleared for operating on JF-17, then yes it will take few hours to movde from PD to AESA

They don't like the Sweeds for their use of "Human rights violations" to restrict weapon sales to some countries including KSA, the same as the Germans with their Leopard MBT..
So Gripen is out of the question, and F-16s are no more available, only if hey want it Block 70 V and "Made in KSA"

There is no Blk 70. Besides Blk 70 & V are two different configurations.

Lastly as per my info, Lockheed is still open to new sales, and is offering three versions of the F16:
a) Blk 50/52+
b) V
c) Blk 62

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/f16/versions.html

As to the make in KSA or elsewhere, due to the "Make in India" issue, here is a bit of clarification, straight from the horse's mouth: "Make in India" basically means Assembled in India via kits. Production would be limited to non-critical parts.

Sales to any other country would follow the same route, unless they want a lower price, than the cheapest option would be to build it in the US.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom