What's new

Osmania University beef festival sparks violence

To the likes of Joe Shearer and Asim Aquil everyone is educated and are zero emotional about their religion. State's duty is to be realistic and hope one day such idealism will exist. Till then the realism is in recognising the facts (for both state and its people) that people out there are going to take law in their hands whenever their religious sentiments will be offended.

If someone still want to take chance, do some experiment and test the people by challenging their religious sentiments then they should be ready for the consequences without complaining.

Secularism is not Newton's law, testing its existence by first offending others is an Idiotic call.

Indians are eating almost everything which can move or fly including beef in India. But doing so called protest by advertising serving beef in such a fashion was an invitation for opposite party to react.

Allow me to point out that the state has gradually, over 65 years, diluted its original clear and unambiguous stand. That is where the tragedy is. There was no taking the law into their own hands in those early years. However, there was a lot of compromise and appeasement of the Muslim community, specifically of its conservative section, and that led to a degree of resentment among others, without in any way benefitting the community.

All these 'realistic' factors have come bubbling up ever since the religious right came to power, in states and at the centre. It was then that emotions and feelings were carefully nursed, and the rule of law systematically debauched.

So for you to say that secularism is sought to be tested by first offending others is idiotic itself, because it happened in the reverse sequence. Secularism is not being introduced, it is being eroded.

And as far as allowing the opposite party to react is concerned, it is inevitable that the bully-boy tactics of the BJP will recoil upon itself, when the sections it has offended use their own weapons against them. The Hyderabad episode was just such an episode, when Dalits vented their resentment by defying upper-caste Hindu opinion and holding this festival, and by not backing off when they were attacked.

This will become, sadly, a more frequently repeated episode.

@Spark

Well sir, do you also have the famous Keralite habit of gulping down neat a steel glass full of whiskey in one go. The whiskey goes to one's head and then one starts tying oneself in knots with verbose contradictions:

Its not worshiped, but respected

Is it the way to treat a God?

What he was trying to tell you in polite and simple terms was that 'it' was not a god.

Which Pizza place was it?

I can't recall the name of the place
but still remember that it was located near Kala Ghoda in South Mumbai
Went there just once
Had beef just once
Only thing was
Beef was just one component of the pizza..
Also had chicken in it...

Is there any credible instance in history where beef caused riots resulting in destruction and/or deaths. If there is none, than whats the point of this ridiculous ban.

This is in essence an indirect tax on folks who has to go out of state or buy a meal at an high end hotel. Why are those hotels allowed to serve beef ?

you know if Indians living in India weren't so damn conservative i bet the poverty and hunger rates would decline theres plenty of cows in India but of course noone will eat them which pisses me off thats like having a table full of food but not eating it....

Is there any credible instance in history where beef caused riots resulting in destruction and/or deaths. If there is none, than whats the point of this ridiculous ban.

This is in essence an indirect tax on folks who has to go out of state or buy a meal at an high end hotel. Why are those hotels allowed to serve beef ?

Common eateries in India are not owned by aliens, most of them are owned by people who wouldn't eat beef themselves and so does the target population. People going to the high end hotels usually don't care even if they don't eat it themselves. Also what ban are you talking about? There is no nationwide ban on beef, you easily get it in states where the "aam junta" don't mind it. Same is the case with pork too, well to some extent, most hindus don't eat it actually.

you know if Indians living in India weren't so damn conservative i bet the poverty and hunger rates would decline theres plenty of cows in India but of course noone will eat them which pisses me off thats like having a table full of food but not eating it....

Reminds me of a quote by Anthony Bourdain.

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It’s healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I’ve worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold. Oh, I’ll accommodate them, I’ll rummage around for something to feed them, for a ‘vegetarian plate’, if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It’s healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I’ve worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold. Oh, I’ll accommodate them, I’ll rummage around for something to feed them, for a ‘vegetarian plate’, if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

Ouch..........

But I failed to put in a disclaimer like in one of the episodes of Sienfeld - "Not that there's anything wrong with that" ;)

It's all about the principle of the thing. I got diptheria when very young, and went completely off meat and fish following recovery (which was not assured in those days back then, in the districts of Bengal; I survived, I am told, because of a grandfather who imported medicine and a district surgeon who called in help from Kolkata very early in the day). This was extremely inconvenient growing up, in a totally non-vegetarian Bengal dedicated - committed - to eating fish. Until 27, I suffered, and subsisted as a guerrilla eater behind enemy lines, with minor injuries; my mother tried everything including clothes hangers and sugar bowls (as weapons of class destruction) to get me to keep down my portion of fish without throwing up. When I announced I was getting married, and it turned out to be another vegetarian, my mother's first reaction, to my disappointment, was to thank God that catering for me would now be someone else's problem. After my job started pushing me to travel, from 1995 onwards, I started living with this stuff, but it was never an easy co-existence. Now, I can survive and actually don't gag on stuff, or rush to the loo to the unease and disquiet of an entire restaurant wondering what I ordered, and was it the same thing they were eating. But it still is a struggle. My daughter got the option from my wife and me, and tried all kinds of things for some time, then declared that she was going vegetarian for pro-life reasons. Now she's slipped back, because of the difficulties of coping with Indian vegetarian food without a support structure. So when I support beef festivals and pork festivals, it's not personal; it's just business, it's about keeping India going without further deterioration of the constitution and the law and order situation.

It's all about the principle of the thing. I got diptheria when very young, and went completely off meat and fish following recovery (which was not assured in those days back then, in the districts of Bengal; I survived, I am told, because of a grandfather who imported medicine and a district surgeon who called in help from Kolkata very early in the day). This was extremely inconvenient growing up, in a totally non-vegetarian Bengal dedicated - committed - to eating fish. Until 27, I suffered, and subsisted as a guerrilla eater behind enemy lines, with minor injuries; my mother tried everything including clothes hangers and sugar bowls (as weapons of class destruction) to get me to keep down my portion of fish without throwing up. When I announced I was getting married, and it turned out to be another vegetarian, my mother's first reaction, to my disappointment, was to thank God that catering for me would now be someone else's problem. After my job started pushing me to travel, from 1995 onwards, I started living with this stuff, but it was never an easy co-existence. Now, I can survive and actually don't gag on stuff, or rush to the loo to the unease and disquiet of an entire restaurant wondering what I ordered, and was it the same thing they were eating. But it still is a struggle. My daughter got the option from my wife and me, and tried all kinds of things for some time, then declared that she was going vegetarian for pro-life reasons. Now she's slipped back, because of the difficulties of coping with Indian vegetarian food without a support structure. So when I support beef festivals and pork festivals, it's not personal; it's just business, it's about keeping India going without further deterioration of the constitution and the law and order situation.

I do no subscribe to the view of Anthony Bourdain as he had quoted it in American context - he had claimed in another episode that the quote holds good except for Indian vegetarianism or something related to religion. It just struck me and I quoted it. I eat right from the fried Tarantulas in Cambodia to the ordinary chicken though my wife is a vegetarian. She cooks chicken and mutton for me though I get to eat beef or other meat at restaurants. I respect her feelings and I am grateful that I can eat homemade non-veg food. So here I feel is a mini-representation of India at my home. Maybe because of this reason, it annoys me when someone want to have beef festivals which I feel is meant to hurt other people's sentiments. But I feel that India should allow beef and other meats as personal choice as it can have more people get nutritious food at low cost.

Common eateries in India are not owned by aliens, most of them are owned by people who wouldn't eat beef themselves and so does the target population. People going to the high end hotels usually don't care even if they don't eat it themselves. Also what ban are you talking about? There is no nationwide ban on beef, you easily get it in states where the "aam junta" don't mind it. Same is the case with pork too, well to some extent, most hindus don't eat it actually.

This ban is of no value to the mass. Its an act of political parties who bills it as demanded by the mass.

Organize pork festival in front of their university in return...no need to protest or fight.....

Oh man, that is harsh :lol:

Back
Top Bottom