What's new

Nine foreign films make cut for Oscar shortlist

Arian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Germany
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.Nine films have made the cut for consideration in the foreign-language category at the Academy Awards.

Among them is Iran's "A Separation" from writer-director Asghar Farhadi, which won the Golden Globe for best foreign language film last weekend and has been racking up kudos from critics groups nationwide.

Also on the list is German director Wim Wenders' "Pina," a 3-D tribute to the career of groundbreaking choreographer Pina Bausch which is also on the shortlist for best documentary feature.

The other contenders are: Belgium's "Bullhead," Canada's "Monsieur Lazhar," Denmark's "Superclasico," Israel's "Footnote," Morocco's, "Omar Killed Me," Poland's "In Darkness" and Taiwan's "Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale."

Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday, with the ceremony set for Feb. 26.

Nine foreign films make cut for Oscar shortlist - KansasCity.com

Good luck Farhadi.
We have great directors/movies. In Cannes in France they often welcome Iranian movies for their quality :)

A brilliant movie. About a very tough choice. After the break up of a relationship.

A sepration is nice film and its first Persian movie i watched ...

not even a single Bollywood(second largest film industry i suppose) movie for oscar nomination ? :no:

not even a single Bollywood(second largest film industry i suppose) movie for oscar nomination ? :no:

You guys and Afghans watch our movies like die hard fans. That is enough complement for us.

A long back time i saw an iranian movie on PTV abt a poor family... a brother who loses the shoes of his sister who had only 1 pair... so both siblings share the boys pair of shoes... damn tht was a beautiful movie... i forgot its name... but RESPECT is all i have for iranian film makers.

You guys and Afghans watch our movies like die hard fans. That is enough complement for us.
yes i guess pakistani/Aghani peoples watch Bollywood movies because they understand the languages and love thumkey of girls who hide their beauty behind 7 layers of make up :lol: I was talking about quality . Why they cannot produce a single movie that can qualify for oscar nomination. Whats wrong there?

Bollywood makes popular movies for Indian sensibilities(which is shared by pakistanis,bangladeshis, and even some ME countries)

There was a parallel movie movement in 80s(mostly Om Puri, Nasiruddin etc) but they could not survive.

Bollywood makes popular movies for Indian sensibilities(which is shared by pakistanis,bangladeshis, and even some ME countries)

There was a parallel movie movement in 80s(mostly Om Puri, Nasiruddin etc) but they could not survive.

then dude that suggest standard of desi peoples is low if they just prefer to watch masala movie with same story which is being repeated over and over again

A long back time i saw an iranian movie on PTV abt a poor family... a brother who loses the shoes of his sister who had only 1 pair... so both siblings share the boys pair of shoes... damn tht was a beautiful movie... i forgot its name... but RESPECT is all i have for iranian film makers.
The movie is called The Children of Heaven and it was made in 1997.

That movie was also nominated for an oscar but didn't win.
IMDb - Children of Heaven (1997)

The Seperation is a mainstream Iranian movie and these movies usually don't get much attention outside the country so this is truly an accomplishment. Mainstream or not, our movies follow the Italian neo-realist school of film making. Neo-realism died in Italy a long time ago but thankfully we're keeping it alive.

My favorite movie is The Colour of Paradise. Everybody should see it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191043/

yes i guess pakistani/Aghani peoples watch Bollywood movies because they understand the languages and love thumkey of girls who hide their beauty behind 7 layers of make up :lol: I was talking about quality . Why they cannot produce a single movie that can qualify for oscar nomination. Whats wrong there?

lol If you must know most of the Indian films nowadays are masala films made for masses to make money not for critical acclaim. And many Indian films in the past have been nominated in Oscar. :)

Back
Top Bottom