What's new

Next DG ISI

You missdd out on Lt Gen muhammed Asif, who served in MI and now JS HQ ----
Also you missed out on Maj Gen muhammed raza he served isi external winv, MI however his current position kind of puts him on the odds and the it's another major general
Well I didn't knew about him butI think some one already in ISI would get promoted let see around 1 month is left

You missdd out on Lt Gen muhammed Asif, who served in MI and now JS HQ ----
Also you missed out on Maj Gen muhammed raza he served isi external winv, MI however his current position kind of puts him on the odds and the it's another major general

I don't why but there seems to be unwritten rule, A person who served as DG or DDG MI can't serve DG or DDG ISI and besides Lt.Gen asif is going to retire next april, hence his chances are minimum to become DG ISI.

Maj.Gen Raza seems to stuck at Maj Gen position. It's been 6 years since he is at this rank as if someone doesn't want him moving up the food chain. A person of his caliber is not made Add.Sec MoDP. Either he is outspoken or either he doesnt has enough juice to become Lt.Gen

Someone not getting promoted in ISI means he's disconned from this peers for reasons i can't write here. Most of these boys make not much of a fuss about 'ranks' anyway.

Someone not getting promoted in ISI means he's disconned from this peers for reasons i can't write here. Most of these boys make not much of a fuss about 'ranks' anyway.
and what is your guess ?

I don't why but there seems to be unwritten rule, A person who served as DG or DDG MI can't serve DG or DDG ISI and besides Lt.Gen asif is going to retire next april, hence his chances are minimum to become DG ISI.

Maj.Gen Raza seems to stuck at Maj Gen position. It's been 6 years since he is at this rank as if someone doesn't want him moving up the food chain. A person of his caliber is not made Add.Sec MoDP. Either he is outspoken or either he doesnt has enough juice to become Lt.Gen
Ah, didnt know about his retirement --
But do you the history behind that unwritten rule??

But mostly they dont promote someone with in the Service - do they??

gripen-52.jpg
Zaheer ul Islam before becoming Lt General and DG ISI was already working in ISI

MI DG and ISI DDG or sector commanders are of same ranks. I guess to avoid potential conflict of interest, they keep MI AND ISI promotions separate and never mix b/w too. Observing past 10 years of promotions, the situation always remained same.

Why is that ? and seeing another trend who ever made DG ISPR, they always retire from Maj.Gen position. It is rumored such a position is given to those who screwed up and their chances of becoming Lt.Gen are diminished. As when Asim Bajwa became DG ISPR, there were rumors that he had several screwups in his previous posting at WANA

Won't make much sense for an agency with a crap load of civilians would it?

Won't make much sense for an agency with a crap load of civilians would it?
Oh ho, when i said service - i meant ghe agency itself, not the military --- normally, they appoint someone who has served in the agency in the past

I beg to disagree....Strategically, it does- and i have facts to prove it :D
@Zarvan l It doesn't matter who leads the agency. ;)

MI DG and ISI DDG or sector commanders are of same ranks. I guess to avoid potential conflict of interest, they keep MI AND ISI promotions separate and never mix b/w too. Observing past 10 years of promotions, the situation always remained same.

Why is that ? and seeing another trend who ever made DG ISPR, they always retire from Maj.Gen position. It is rumored such a position is given to those who screwed up and their chances of becoming Lt.Gen are diminished. As when Asim Bajwa became DG ISPR, there were rumors that he had several screwups in his previous posting at WANA
There is a different reason for that --- will explain in a bit --- but what you have mentioned is one of the reasons--- i will make it more specific ----
Talking about Maj Gen, then you are spot on, usually people are sent behind a desk, so that they couod retire in peace

Edit: its basically because of the difference in Procedural, operational and analytical decicion makinv that is done in both agencies --- i could have quoted an example but that might not be a good idea...

Last edited:
I hope we get to see some like Gen. Pasha or Gen. Hameed Gul.

General Janjua may be next ISI DG

August 26, 2014 - ASIF BASHIR CHAUDHRY

ISLAMABAD - Four corps commanders and director general ISI are going to retire during the next three months and Lt Gen Naseer Janjua is being considered a strong contender for the top post of premier intelligence agency, The Nation has learnt.

According to the seniority list, five lieutenant generals are scheduled to be retired within next 90 days and the name of the outgoing generals are Corp Commander Mangla Tariq Khan, DG Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt Gen Zaheer Ul Islam, Corp Commander Gujranwala Saleem Nawaz, Corp Commander Peshawar Khalid Rabbani and Corp Commander Karachi Sajjad Ghani.

According to the sources, Corp Commander Quetta Lt Gen Naseer Janjua is being considered as a strong candidate for the post of DG ISI after the retirement of the incumbent ISI chief. His previous carrier has made him the most favourite for this post. While Corp Commander Lahore Naveed Zaman is another strong candidate for the slot of DG ISI.

According to intelligence sources, Maj Gen Arif Warriach, who has previously served as DDG Internal in ISI, was the most favourite choice of military leadership but he has still not got the promotion as lieutenant general. Now he is on the number 82 in the seniority list.

The military sources said that the slot of Corp Commander Peshawar is much significant due to operation Zarb-e-Azb and Pak-Afghan border situation. Name of Lt Gen Ishfaq Nadeem, Lt Gen Javed Iqbal Ramdey, Maj Gen Razwan Akhtar, Maj Gen Hilal Hussain and Maj Gen Nadir Zaib are seriously under consideration for the position of corps commander Peshawar. The only criterion for this slot is an officer who had served previously on the western border.

According to the seniority list, other nine senior lieutenant generals will retire in 2015 during the tenure of Gen Raheel Sharif who will retire on November 2016.

The posting of DG ISI is the first significant appointment, which will take place within the army during the period of General Raheel Sharif as COAS. Although the prime minister will appoint the DG ISI yet it would be made with the consultation of Chief of Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif.

It would be the COAS who will give the list of three lieutenant generals to PM to appoint anyone for the said slot. It would also reflect the mind of General Raheel Sharif towards his future ambitions.

The tradition of the army is that every new COAS used to get appoint his new DG ISI and according to official sources the Nawaz government had requested General Raheel Sahrif that the incumbent DG ISI should be allowed to complete his tenure as DG ISI. Former COAS General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani had appointed General Zaheerul Islam on the recommendation of Gen Ahmad Shuja Pasha.

After the retirement of five lieutenant generals, new DG ISI and four corps commanders will be brought in the top hierarchy of army that will more strengthen the COAS for the promotions of senior officers.

General Janjua may be next ISI DG

August 26, 2014 - ASIF BASHIR CHAUDHRY

ISLAMABAD - Four corps commanders and director general ISI are going to retire during the next three months and Lt Gen Naseer Janjua is being considered a strong contender for the top post of premier intelligence agency, The Nation has learnt.

According to the seniority list, five lieutenant generals are scheduled to be retired within next 90 days and the name of the outgoing generals are Corp Commander Mangla Tariq Khan, DG Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt Gen Zaheer Ul Islam, Corp Commander Gujranwala Saleem Nawaz, Corp Commander Peshawar Khalid Rabbani and Corp Commander Karachi Sajjad Ghani.

According to the sources, Corp Commander Quetta Lt Gen Naseer Janjua is being considered as a strong candidate for the post of DG ISI after the retirement of the incumbent ISI chief. His previous carrier has made him the most favourite for this post. While Corp Commander Lahore Naveed Zaman is another strong candidate for the slot of DG ISI.

According to intelligence sources, Maj Gen Arif Warriach, who has previously served as DDG Internal in ISI, was the most favourite choice of military leadership but he has still not got the promotion as lieutenant general. Now he is on the number 82 in the seniority list.

The military sources said that the slot of Corp Commander Peshawar is much significant due to operation Zarb-e-Azb and Pak-Afghan border situation. Name of Lt Gen Ishfaq Nadeem, Lt Gen Javed Iqbal Ramdey, Maj Gen Razwan Akhtar, Maj Gen Hilal Hussain and Maj Gen Nadir Zaib are seriously under consideration for the position of corps commander Peshawar. The only criterion for this slot is an officer who had served previously on the western border.

According to the seniority list, other nine senior lieutenant generals will retire in 2015 during the tenure of Gen Raheel Sharif who will retire on November 2016.

The posting of DG ISI is the first significant appointment, which will take place within the army during the period of General Raheel Sharif as COAS. Although the prime minister will appoint the DG ISI yet it would be made with the consultation of Chief of Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif.

It would be the COAS who will give the list of three lieutenant generals to PM to appoint anyone for the said slot. It would also reflect the mind of General Raheel Sharif towards his future ambitions.

The tradition of the army is that every new COAS used to get appoint his new DG ISI and according to official sources the Nawaz government had requested General Raheel Sahrif that the incumbent DG ISI should be allowed to complete his tenure as DG ISI. Former COAS General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani had appointed General Zaheerul Islam on the recommendation of Gen Ahmad Shuja Pasha.

After the retirement of five lieutenant generals, new DG ISI and four corps commanders will be brought in the top hierarchy of army that will more strengthen the COAS for the promotions of senior officers.
Not much chance because General Janjua will retire next year and Raheel will want a man to stay till his retirement

Back
Top Bottom