What's new

Nanjing 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games

You want to discuss the subject or lack of medals for India???? This clearly shows the intend of opening the thread or diverting to a troll fest with a observation of yours, Rated negative for starting a troll fest

It was an observation on the lack of Indian gold medals at the 4 major Olympic events.
China dominated but I thought it was interesting that India failed to win a gold.

I wanted Indian opinion in this thread to compare the superpower race between China and India in Olympics.

To be recognised, you have to perform at the Olympics.
There are:
Summer Olympics
Winter Olympics
Summer Youth Olympics
Winter Youth Olympics

Last edited:
It was an observation on the lack of Indian gold medals at the 3 major Olympic events.
China dominated but I thought it was interesting that India failed to win a gold.

I wanted Indian opinion in this thread to compare the superpower race between China and India.

Well it was not only India, but there are several other nations which failed right???? I have no issue in discussing lack of ability in winning medals, but the attempt was only result in a troll fest (with indians responding in kind)

Well it was not only India, but there are several other nations which failed right???? I have no issue in discussing lack of ability in winning medals, but the attempt was only result in a troll fest (with indians responding in kind)

But other countries (except US) are not in a superpower race with China.

If India topped the medal table, there would be a dozen threads about it.

But when China tops the medal table, its trolling.
smh

But other countries (except US) are not in a superpower race with China.

Who told you that India is in super power race with China, Everyone in India knows how advanced is china when compared, But that doesnt stop us from dreaming from becoming a superpower??? If winning gold medals is a yard stick to measure for being a super power, Jamica is more powerful than India, Why jamaica, Usain bolt as an individual is more powerful than India

Let's hope China and other Asian nations start to dominate international sports events just as they do dominate science competitions.

Well, biologically it would be a bit difficult to compete with Africans in the track field, which seems to be a rather large portion of the Olympic medals. China has excellence record in anything skill related, but in straight forward body competitions, Asians are more suited for things like weight lifting, swimming and endurance running. Stuff like sub 1500 meter running or jumping is simply not our thing.

Haha China is known for trying to mass-produce Olympic-competing youth with brutal methods.. Not a big surprise, to be honest.

good news its shows despite our smaller population our youth is almost physically 3 times more superior than americas future generation

LOL! Lets see what Russia has in the next Olympics.

Good Luck to all the participants! A healthy camaraderie to all !

万歳

Doing it the "China Way." If soft power does mean anything, this is how China accumulates it.

Organization of Nanjing Youth Olympics seamless: IOC chief

NANJING, China, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- With four days to go before the 2nd edition of the Youth Olympic Games close in Nanjing, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach was full of praise for the event, saying he really enjoys what he has experienced here.

"It is a great experience, just very enjoyable, to meet the athletes, to see the organization here is flawless. We don't have any kind of problems to solve, we can just enjoy the games, enjoy it with the athletes, with the volunteers, with the people of Nanjing," said Bach during an interview with Xinhua on Sunday.

"The organization is seamless. It was a really great job.

"It was a great combination of friendliness and efficiency at the same time. If you have the two together, you are guaranteed to have a successful games," he added.

The IOC chief noted that he was happy to see that the existing facilities have been made the best use of at the first Youth Olympics under his reign.

"I'm very impressed by sustainable ways of the organization. The other day, to give you an example, I was sitting in the BMX stadium, somebody asking me 'Do you recognize these chairs?'. I said 'No, I have no idea'. He said 'You were sitting on the chair of Beijing 2008'. Then I said 'Congratulations, this is a very good idea and approach!' He said 'Do not think that we bought them, we just rented them, if after the games the people from Beijing do not offer us a good price, we will send them back'," said Bach.

While many athletes say they are happy with everything at the Nanjing Youth Olympics, there is also concern over the scale of the Games here and whether a future host will be able to match.

Bach played down the aniexty by insisting that Nanjing should not become a blueprint for future Games.

"The future organizers should think of their own games, should approach it through their way, the future games will hopefully be different from Nanjing, they will present a different idea of youth in a different way, but you can't say that one way is better than the other," he said.

Bach also echoed China's IOC member Yang Yang, who said this week that success here at the Youth Olympics is boosting Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.

"Of course, it can help...Nanjing shows one time more in which excellent way China is organizing a big event, and the friendliness and hospitality of the Chinese people. It is a good showcase for China, and will, of course, support the bid of Beijing," said Bach.

Beijing is competing with Oslo and Almaty for the 2022 Winter Games. The IOC will select the host city by a secret ballot on July 31, 2015.

A big part of Bach's Agenda 2020, the strategic roadmap for the future of the Olympics, is looking into changes to the rigid sporting structure that currently exists within the Olympic Games. Instead of sticking with just 28 sports, discussions are being held on reducing the number of disciplines for some sports, giving room for new sports to be added to the program.

"There is an agreement. That is to keep the limiation of the number of the athletes. This is important. And also on the other hand, to look very carefully and not to increase the number of the permanent venues. So everything that could be new and should be new should fit into this frame of this two important limitations," said Bach.

"It's not easy. The Olympic program, just like I said in my electoral platform, is like a jigsaw puzzle. It's very complicated. If one piece does not fit, the whole image does not fit," he added.

Who told you that India is in super power race with China, Everyone in India knows how advanced is china when compared, But that doesnt stop us from dreaming from becoming a superpower??? If winning gold medals is a yard stick to measure for being a super power, Jamica is more powerful than India, Why jamaica, Usain bolt as an individual is more powerful than India

1. You know that you're not telling the truth. Most of India's poor believe that India is in a superpower race with China. Given India's poor is the overwelming large majority of India's population, it is fair to say that most of Indians think so.

More tellingly, a huge section of of India's western-educated elites still can tell you such nonsensce in your face as well even in very formal occasions. For example, there was a public lecture in London School of Economics(LBE) just a year or so back. Listen the following recording from 1:17:07 onwards till the end to see how an Indian elite asked such a question and how hilarious the answer was:

2. Whereas there're some special cases such as Jamaica where 1 or 2 natural talents can sweep large amount of medals in some very limited categories, the ability of a country to win Olympics medals across board is indeed a roughly good indicator of the general physical (implied nutricious and hence economical) development statue of its population at large, the general organisational level, national physical education investment stage, and state of national ambitions, and thus the likehood how close it is on its way of being a superpower. By this yardstick, countries like India or even Jamaica are way off charts remorselessly in the opposite direction. Dreaming of becoming a superpower that has a remote possibility in a real world is called "delutional" at best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom