What's new

India wants to host summer Games in 2036, says PM Modi

GamoAccu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oct 14 (Reuters) - India is interested in hosting the Olympic Games in 2036, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday at the opening ceremony of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Mumbai.

The country has never hosted the Olympics before, but in 2010 Delhi hosted the Commonwealth Games.

"India will leave no stone unturned in our efforts to organise the Olympics in India in 2036. This is the age-old dream of 140 crore (1.4 billion) Indians, it is their aspiration," Modi said.

"We want to realise this dream with your collaboration and support... I am confident that India will get the support of the IOC."

India is among several nations eyeing future Games, with Paris set to host the 2024 summer Olympics and Los Angeles picked for the 2028 Games. Brisbane, Australia, will stage the 2032 Olympics.

India is a growing sports power, having finished fourth in the Asian Games this month, with a national record of 28 golds, and more than 100 medals overall.

The country also won seven medals, including one gold, at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021, the nation's record haul.

Cricket, the most popular sport in India, was also picked this week along with four other sports to be included in the 2028 Olympics.

Last month, Polish President Andrzej Duda said his country was hopeful of organising the 2036 Olympics, while Indonesia and Mexico are also expected to bid to host sport's biggest event.

Modi also said India would look to host the Youth Olympics in 2029.

"Sport is not just about winning medals but also winning hearts," he said.

It will be interesting to see the winner of this bid. For me, I hope Jakarta - Palembang wins. The announcement will be in 2026- 27 I believe. For stadiums and other supporting facilities Jakarta - Palembang is pretty much ready.

Despite so, expected winner will likely be Sanghai in China or Korea. If that is the case, Jakarta - Palembang will likely continue bidding for 2040 where England is also bidding. In 2040 we are likely to win the bid according to my opinion as the bid will likely be announced in 2030, at that time Jakarta infrastructure is likely already been world class, particularly with its public transportation system.

Our experiences.

2013 : Islamic Solidarity Games - Palembang.

2018 : Asian Games - Jakarta Palembang

2023 : FIBA WORLD CUP (Jakarta) and FIFA U 17 WORLD CUP ( Jakarta and other cities in Java Island).

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the winner of this bid. For me, I hope Jakarta - Palembang wins. The announcement will be in 2026- 27 I believe. For stadiums and other supporting facilities Jakarta - Palembang is pretty much ready.
Gujarat government is pushing ahead with the bid for Olympics
Preparation is going on with lightning speed
Despite so, expected winner will likely be Sanghai in China or Korea. If that is the case, Jakarta - Palembang will likely continue bidding for 2040 where England is also bidding. In 2040 we are likely to win the bid according to my opinion as the bid will likely be announced in 2030, at that time Jakarta infrastructure is likely already been world class, particularly with its public transportation system.
It'll be interesting to see how the entire thing pans out.

Gujarat government is pushing ahead with the bid for Olympics
Preparation is going on with lightning speed

It'll be interesting to see how the entire thing pans out.
Unlikely Gujarat will win if the sport complex is not yet exist when you do the bidding.

The same thing with Indonesia bid in Nusantara, but as we will have Presidential election in 2024 where Jokowi cannot participate based on our constitution, new leader will likely change the host into Jakarta - Palembang in 2025, before the announcement. Our first bidding for 2032 Olympic also used Jakarta Palembang as the host cities.

Bidding Olympic in Nusantara is a waste of money and unlikely the sports center will create money after the Olympics, unlike Jakarta with many sports, music, and business event using the facility in GBK sport Complex which is inside our main business district in Central Jakarta. Other big Stadium like JIS in Nort Jakarta is also occasionally hosting football match with huge football fans and some business and music events.

Jakarta as Indonesia business center with 10 million people and if we talk about Greater Jakarta it has 30 million people inside it. World Class sport complex can create much money for such a city. Unlikely the case for Nusantara, I chose economic reasoning rather than grandeous hype to host Olympic in Nusantara. It is enough for Jokowi to have Jakarta - Bandung HSR as Indonesia vanity project, but that HSR despite meeting the vanity criteria still will be useful to many people who will use it every day and pretty much can boost both local and foreign tourist every year. Good for Jakarta brand and image as well as it competes to be business center in SEA region. With pressing issues in here and there as a developing economy, we must use our money as efficient and effective as it could.

Despite so, it will still be a surprised if we can win 2036 Olympic host, the chance is only 20 - 30 percent according to me, only factor that can win Jakarta-Palembang in the bidding is SEA region and Muslim chards (no SEA country and no Muslim country ever host any Olympic until 2032).

Last edited:
It will be a big shame if one country hosts an international sports event while its team performs miserably, this is why China never bids for the football world cup. You don't want to bring humiliation to your home by yourself.

It will be a big shame if one country hosts an international sports event while its team performs miserably, this is why China never bids for the football world cup. You don't want to bring humiliation to your home by yourself.
Don't lie, communist slaves are not allowed to feel any emotions

Yeah, first build enough up to standard public toilets, clean up garbage dumps and get rid of slums in the la la land before you bid to have a decent chance of success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom