What's new

Nanjing 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games

I kind of also doubt whether it's worth it or not.

Because outside of China, not many people pay attention to this event. Most people I've talked to recently, never knew there is such a thing as a youth Olympic. :sick: I think the Paralympic is even more known and popular than the youth version.

But this event give good experiences for the event organisers/city officials and give plenty of jobs for people involved in it.

I kind of also doubt whether it's worth it or not.

Because outside of China, not many people pay attention to this event. Most people I've talked to recently, never knew there is such a thing as a youth Olympic. :sick: I think the Paralympic is even more known and popular than the youth version.

But this event give good experiences for the event organisers/city officials and give plenty of jobs for people involved in it.

u should know the cost morelittle, less than in 2008 Olympic Games costs 1/10

hard to say meney is wasted
Water cube now is water park open to public 365day a year :
02.jpg
44.jpg
11.jpg
0.jpg
001KeWwPzy6KAXd4sqe1a&690.jpg
02.jpg

Last edited:
It's my view that it's not worth the money. The money is better spent on social programs.

Money would be much better spent on job creation and infrastructure development than on welfare, as the former would translate into real improvement in welfare for everyone. While sports venue is not the most efficient way to job creation & infrastructure development, it is still much better than spending on welfare programs.

Gosh, cannot Chinese government stop hosting stupid sports events???? Who the heck cares。

When I read news about how bananas cannot have dark spots, how the chefs prepare special food, OMFG, maybe the Nanjing government should all kneel down to the foreigners instead of walking?

WTF is wrong with the Nanjing government? Are they normal human beings?

u should know the cost very little, less than in 2008 Olympic Games costs 1/10
Only eat rice, why eat beef and egg fruit?Football is a sport, why need swim
Why only the medical &education is value to the people? Hold an international activities, the city benefits are long-term, enhance the visibility of the city, showing the city to the world, maybe will lead more business activities, foreign travel, speed up the construction of urban development.

You don't need the stupid games to speed up urban development. Nobody outside cares about the games, so I don't know how this will "enhance the visibility of the city。“ lol. Building more sports venues in high schools and elementary schools is way more effective to enhance health of the general populace than building a couple of nice Olympics venues.

Oh let me tell you way less expensive way of increasing Nanjing's visibility in the world, buy some advertisement spaces in international news sites, magazines, or put a giant ad on Times Squares. They are way way cheaper and more effective.

Last edited:
Money would be much better spent on job creation and infrastructure development than on welfare, as the former would translate into real improvement in welfare for everyone. While sports venue is not the most efficient way to job creation & infrastructure development, it is still much better than spending on welfare programs.

My use of the "social programs" was not what I meant. Yes, it should be used for infrastructure development. As far as I know, the arenas have already been built thus there isn't much to build for this event.

Venues

Competition Venues - Training Venues - Culture & Education Venues - YOV and Other Venues

The Youth Olympic Games (YOG) has a guiding principles for venues: No new venues should be built, except in extraordinary circumstances. It is preferable to refurbish existing venues. Venues must meet Games requirements and be realistic with respect to the host city's master plan, resources and legacy. Venue planning should support the concept of sustainable development.

For venue selection: all competition, training, Culture & Education and other YOG venues must be located in the same city or region. Culture & Education venues and training venues should be located as close as possible or within the Youth Olympic Village to reduce traveling times for athletes.

Venus required to stage a Youth Olympic Games include competition venues, training venues, Culture & Education venues, ceremonies venues, Main Press Centre, International Broadcast Centre and the Youth Olympic Village.

The Nanjing 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games use a total of 35 sports venues in which all the competitions and training for 28 sports will take place. These 35 venues consist of 27 competition venues, which also serve as training venues, and 8 dedicated training venues.

27 Competition Venues (also serve as training venues)
11.jpg

Last edited:
(Reuters) - The second Youth Olympics concluded in Nanjing on Thursday after a spectacular closing ceremony and a glowing endorsement from the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Around 2,000 performers were involved in the ceremony, which was attended by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and the IOC president Thomas Bach.

The sporting competition, which began two weeks ago and involved almost 4,000 athletes aged between 14 and 18, had ended on Wednesday with the host-nation finishing as the most successful country with 38 golds, although the IOC did not keep official medals tables.

Chinese swimmer Shen Duo was the most successful athlete of the Games, winning six golds.

The Games broke records for participants, attendances and social media interaction and featured athletes expected to graduate to the Summer Olympics in the years to come.

"You have given us a glimpse of your bright future and the bright future of the Olympic movement," Bach said in his speech at the closing ceremony.

Bach also praised China's hosting of the Games, describing them as "perfectly flawless."

"The Organizing Committee has set a great example for sustainable organization by making use of a legacy and by leaving another great legacy to the people," Bach said.

"I would like to thank all our Chinese hosts. With your already world-famous efficiency and with your overwhelming friendliness you have made all of us feel at home in this ancient great city, in this modern and dynamic city of Nanjing."

The Youth Olympics were first held in Singapore in 2010. The first Winter Youth Games were staged two years later, in Innsbruck. The next Winter Games will be in Lillehammer in 2016 before the next Summer Games in Buenos Aires in 2018.

2014 Summer Youth Olympics medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China comes 1st place with 38 gold medals.
Russia comes 2nd place with 27 gold medals.
US comes 3rd place with 10 gold medals.

India didn't even win 1 gold medal.
That means India have failed to win a single gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, 2014 Winter Olympics and 2014 Youth Olympics.

@ChineseTiger1986 @HariPrasad @senheiser @BuddhaPalm @pher @TaiShang

Last edited:
That means India have failed to win a single gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, 2014 Winter Olympics and 2014 Youth Olympics.

Let's hope China and other Asian nations start to dominate international sports events just as they do dominate science competitions.

Let's hope China and other Asian nations start to dominate international sports events just as they do dominate science competitions.

Unfortunately Chinese are not built to compete against blacks in athletics, which comprises a large percentage of overall Olympic medals.

Unless we start to import but that is out of the question IMO.

(Reuters) - The second Youth Olympics concluded in Nanjing on Thursday after a spectacular closing ceremony and a glowing endorsement from the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Around 2,000 performers were involved in the ceremony, which was attended by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and the IOC president Thomas Bach.

The sporting competition, which began two weeks ago and involved almost 4,000 athletes aged between 14 and 18, had ended on Wednesday with the host-nation finishing as the most successful country with 38 golds, although the IOC did not keep official medals tables.

Chinese swimmer Shen Duo was the most successful athlete of the Games, winning six golds.

The Games broke records for participants, attendances and social media interaction and featured athletes expected to graduate to the Summer Olympics in the years to come.

"You have given us a glimpse of your bright future and the bright future of the Olympic movement," Bach said in his speech at the closing ceremony.

Bach also praised China's hosting of the Games, describing them as "perfectly flawless."

"The Organizing Committee has set a great example for sustainable organization by making use of a legacy and by leaving another great legacy to the people," Bach said.

"I would like to thank all our Chinese hosts. With your already world-famous efficiency and with your overwhelming friendliness you have made all of us feel at home in this ancient great city, in this modern and dynamic city of Nanjing."

The Youth Olympics were first held in Singapore in 2010. The first Winter Youth Games were staged two years later, in Innsbruck. The next Winter Games will be in Lillehammer in 2016 before the next Summer Games in Buenos Aires in 2018.

2014 Summer Youth Olympics medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ChineseTiger1986 @HariPrasad @senheiser @BuddhaPalm @pher @TaiShang

You want to discuss the subject or lack of medals for India???? This clearly shows the intend of opening the thread or diverting to a troll fest with a observation of yours, Rated negative for starting a troll fest

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom