What's new

Karakoram Highway: Path to riches for China, Pakistan

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
b083fe955a0f1834ad761b.jpg

China Communications Construction Company Ltd workers prepare tunnel-supporting steel frame at a construction site along the Karakoram Highway in Pakistan.CHINA DAILY
eca86bd9ddb41834b3ec36.jpg

A bird's-eye view of Karakoram Highway of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.CHINA DAILY

Karakoram Highway project to transform Pakistan and generate handsome returns on Chinese investment

The improvement of the Karakoram Highway of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor has greatly boosted transportation of farm produce and tourism in the north of Pakistan, said top executives of China Communications Construction Company Ltd or CCCC that has aided the renovation.

The highway, which used to be open for only four months every year, runs through the year now.

"The improved road has enhanced the economic ties between China and Pakistan. It is a road leading to abundant wealth and prosperity for the Pakistani people," said Sun Ziyu, vice-president of CCCC, a major Chinese State-owned enterprise principally engaged in the design and construction of transportation infrastructure.

"A smooth road plays an important role in China's investment in agriculture, infrastructure and energy in Pakistan. The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor is a key hub along the Belt and Road Initiative since it connects the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road," said Sun.

The Karakoram Highway is the northern section of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, a $46-billion project that connects Gwadar Port in southwestern Pakistan to China's northwestern Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region via a vast network of highways and railways.

The 1,224-kilometer Karakoram Highway is one of the highest paved international roads in the world. It connects Xinjiang of China and Gilgit-Baltistan of Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range at a height of 4,693 metres from the sea level.

The construction of the highway started in 1960s with China's aid, and finished in 1979. It is the only land way to connect the north of Pakistan with the capital Islamabad and the southern coastal regions. It is also the only route on the land between China and Pakistan.
CCCC took over the project to improve Karakoram Highway in 2006. The section to be improved, which measures 335 kilometers, was completed and reopened for use in September 2013.

"The highway goes through an extremely complicated and dangerous region nicknamed the disaster museum," said Wang Jingchun, the overseas affairs manager of CCCC. "Unpredictable catastrophes such as avalanches, landslides, rockfalls, earthquakes, cave-in incidents occur from time to time. When the construction first started in 1960s, more than 700 workers lost their lives in the process."

In 2010, a large landslide hit the midsection of the Karakoram Highway, which formed a giant barrier lake of about 300 million cubic meters, cutting the road in half as it flooded 20 kilometers of the road.

"Since the dam is on the upper stream of the river, it will flood all the villages in the downstream section if it breaks," said Chen Haipeng, deputy manager of China Road and Bridge Corp, which was responsible for the landslide dam solution.

"We invited a lot of top Chinese engineers to the site to find a solution to the problem of the landslide dam," said Pang Ming, manager of the improvement project. "Eventually we had to realign the route by constructing five tunnels with a total length of 7 kilometers through the mountains, which have been named the 'China-Pakistan Friendship Tunnels'."

The improvement project has created more than 10,000 jobs for the Pakistani people, who have been trained in the process to serve as talents for future infrastructure construction in the region. It has linked more than 15 million people in the region with faster access to the outside world.

Despite the technical challenges, the Chinese constructors have also helped the villages along the highway in building roads and bridges, maintaining power plants, diverting river routes, and building schools and orphanages. They have actively participated in the rescue and reconstruction work in times of natural disasters.

"As the only 'all weather' strategic partner of China, Pakistan is China's important gateway to South Asia, Central Asia and West Asia as well as the Islamic world," said Li Xiguang, deputy director of the Tsinghua School of Communication and Journalism.
Karakoram Highway: Path to riches for China, Pakistan[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn

I hate to be the Devil’s advocate but we should not get carried away with the CPEC. Without doubt there would be a great boost to Pakistan economy. However has anyone thoroughly analysed long term effects of the availability of thousands of Chinese goods on Pakistan’s industrial sector?

As it is, China dominates world markets in steel, solar panels, textiles, electronic equipment, machines, engines & pumps etc. UK steel industry is virtually dead because it cannot compete with cheap Chinese steel plate import. I recently read an article in the ‘Warships’ magazine about Chinese built warships are available at half the price of the comparable Western built naval vessels.

Remember that most goods ostensibly imported for Afghanistan always found their way in Pakistani market. Can you imagine what could happen with thousands of trucks with Chinese manufactured goods plying Pakistani roads on their way to Gwadar?

I am not against Chinese Economic Corridor; I would nevertheless like to remind my countrymen that sadly there are no ‘Free lunches’ in this world and there is always some downside to everything.

Last edited:
This highway will transform nothing..
This highway will connect one of the remotest part of the China with very little economic activities.

I hate to be the Devil’s advocate but we should not get carried away with the CPEC. Without doubt there would be a great boost to Pakistan economy. However has anyone thoroughly analysed long term effects of the availability of thousands of Chinese goods on Pakistan’s industrial sector?

As it is, China dominates world markets in steel, solar panels, textiles, electronic equipment, machines, engines & pumps etc. UK steel industry is virtually dead because it cannot compete with cheap Chinese steel plate import. I recently read an article in the ‘Warships’ magazine about Chinese built warships available at half the price of the comparable Western built naval vessels.

Remember that most goods ostensibly imported for Afghanistan always found their way in Pakistani market. Can you imagine what could happen with thousands of trucks with Chinese manufactured goods plying Pakistani roads on their way to Gwadar?

I am not against Chinese Economic Corridor; I would nevertheless like to remind my countrymen that sadly there are no ‘Free lunches’ in this world and there is always some downside to everything.

@niaz Sir,

With all due respect, Pakistan was never a manufacturing economy and we are also producing virtually nothing except agricultural related industries. However in my opinion since China is in our neighbor and we can buy good stuff in cheaper rates so its no matter what we produce, same will be available in market with the tag of "Made in China" in far cheap prices.

However, IMO we should concentrate on services industry and skilled labor, with the model of US. US is no more a manufacturing country except defense products (I may be wrong). their economy is services based economy and they are doing great, same goes for Singapore and Hong Kong.

Best Regards

Its supply route which China is building to make herself immune to Indian Ocean and Straits of Malaka. The goods passing through Pakistan would mostly be Oil and other inputs which China imports from ME and Africa. Production goods will initially remain in China. If you'd see, majority of Investment by China are in Energy and Infrastructure sectors which are provide support to existing industry or serve as a pre-requisite to future setups. Chinese Industries shifting to Pakistan is a medium to long term prospect.

As it is, China dominates world markets in steel, solar panels, textiles, electronic equipment, machines, engines & pumps etc. UK steel industry is virtually dead because it cannot compete with cheap Chinese steel plate import. I recently read an article in the ‘Warships’ magazine about Chinese built warships are available at half the price of the comparable Western built naval vessels.

Shortage of power, law and order, corruption and smuggling, are all the gifts given to Pakistan by it's so-called leaders. Most of Pakistani MFG units are in the hands of yesterday's leaders, this CPEC will give them two choices compete or get out of the way. For example, "Auto Mafia" building cars that were designed in 1970s, then you have special interest Mafias in Pakistan standing in the way of progress.
Not only these guys are not willing to invest in anything new, they make sure, no one new enters the market either, I will not be sorry to see them lose control and market share to Chinese goods.

This highway will transform nothing..
This highway will connect one of the remotest part of the China with very little economic activities.
Are you crazy? It will divert all international trade to China from - The Suez, East and South Africa, the Gulf and other regions to Gwadar. We've seen how being the center of international trade gains you - examples are Singapore and Japan. It will bring in billions of dollars worth of investment and taxes - our growth rate should atleast swell to 7% once its completed.

Here are SOME projects invested into Pakistan by China in the years 2014-2015 ALONE.

China-Pakistan-Economic-Corridor-CPEC.jpg

Whatever is the outcome it can only be good.

And I Am seeing all projects in Punjab with only road in GB which will give nothing but smoke of vehicles to GB residents . if GB could not get any share from CPEC then we don't need Chinese traffic it will only give us Smoke , environmental pollution , noise pollution and melting of glaciers due to high speed train and vehicles. I have checked all projects on planning commison website. Not a single project in GB . 46 billiuon dolar is distributed in 4 Provinces of Pakistan excluding the gateway of CPEC GB. This greedy punjabiness will rise nationalism in already neglecte d GB region . Remember in GB nationalist parties are becoming famous day by day due to Pakistan's negligence.

From which region you are from GB.. o_O .. cause my every friend from that region is pretty excited about the project.. what local language can you speak Khowar, Shina e.t.c anything .. cause i have my doubts

From which region you are from GB.. o_O .. cause my every friend from that region is pretty excited about the project.. what local language can you speak Khowar, Shina e.t.c anything .. cause i have my doubts
Stay connect with GB local news . Daily K2 u will know How Gbians are satisfied . What happened yeserday? It was complete shutter down strike in GB against illegal and unconstitutional tax imposition .

I can't send u link but search this term " Gilgit baltista and CPEC" You will find several articles by Gbians and their concerns on this mega punjab based project Punjab china Economic corriodor

Stay connect with GB local news . Daily K2 u will know How Gbians are satisfied . What happened yeserday? It was complete shutter down strike in GB against illegal and unconstitutional tax imposition .

I can't send u link but search this term " Gilgit baltista and CPEC" You will find several articles by Gbians and their concerns on this mega punjab based project Punjab china Economic corriodor

Still you dodged the question .. which part are you from ..and what local language you can speak..Khowar, Shina, Balti or wakhi anything.. as i said i have my doubts.. :what:

Ans
Still you dodged the question .. which part are you from ..and what local language you can speak..Khowar, Shina, Balti or wakhi anything.. as i said i have my doubts.. :what:
If u have doubt then reply me in same language. Khiang gar na in? Chi zarbinna zar . Now reply I used local GB langauge

When u don't find answer the delete my comment ...
Ok then Do what u can I will not reply to loosers if u havce brain then answer in logical way else don't delete

Ans

If u have doubt then reply me in same language. Khiang gar na in? Chi zarbinna zar . Now reply I used local GB langauge

When u don't find answer the delete my comment ...
Ok then Do what u can I will not reply to loosers if u havce brain then answer in logical way else don't delete

Ichhaad...! met Er tang dir tang ..na mirpur dokpi in..yang gar dogpin? by the way lessons by my friends do come handy.. you sounded like a false flagger so had to check..and plz english thora sambhal k use karo dear khatam ho jaye gi.. lol .. chill :cheers:

Hes a false flagger - other GBians also expressed confusion from his posts.

Back
Top Bottom