What's new

Jinnah Class Revealed

The PN is working towards 20 "major surface vessels."

Our guess is that "major surface vessel" = a 2,000+ ton ship capable of anti-ship warfare, anti-sub warfare, anti-air warfare, and supporting a helicopter.

By this definition, the PN has 12 such ships in the pipeline: 4 Type 054A/P, 4 Babur-class, and 4 F-22P. You can add the 2 Yarmouk-class OPVs just to be conservative -- so 12-14 'major surface vessels.'

The remaining 6-8 ships could be Jinnah-class frigates. This would make sense because the PN is paying for the development of this ship for a reason. It wants a design tailored to its requirements and will invest a lot of money into preparing KSEW to carry out the project from scratch. So, building 6-8 of these frigates is the right call.

I think the 6 'heavy tonnage ships' were in the context of OPVs, but it's unclear. Besides, the direction of the procurement may have shifted a bit with the new CNS. The current CNS openly said that shallow-water attack (SWAT) subs are a major focus, so I'd keep an eye on that.

However, I do think the PN will still acquire additional OPVs, but not from Damen Shipyards. Rather, they could look at ASFAT's MILGEM-based OPVs. KSEW is going to get very familiar with building this design (Babur-class), so a lite variant equipped with a main gun and CIWS could be an affordable option.

View attachment 771602
I am still waiting for some one to address that why Pakistan is developing super sonic cruise missiles and hyper sonic ballistic missiles if we are not going to induct those ships and submarines which can carry those missiles.

I am still waiting for some one to address that why Pakistan is developing super sonic cruise missiles and hyper sonic ballistic missiles if we are not going to induct those ships and submarines which can carry those missiles.
The Jinnah-class brochure says it'll carry 8 P282s

I think we all agree the PN will equip the ships with these missiles, but it won't always be through VLS. You want lots and lots of VLS.

1629588816780.png

Not impressed we need laser weapons our heba missile is too big to be carried only in small numbers on ship we need a guided missile and anti sub edicated ships and anti aircraft ships ins have AC we need to take down indian migs of ins

The Jinnah-class brochure says it'll carry 8 P282s

I think we all agree the PN will equip the ships with these missiles, but it won't always be through VLS. You want lots and lots of VLS.

View attachment 771905
Hypersonic missile from these tubes how on earth that is going to work ? What I have heard all my life is that Hyper Sonic missile is attached to a ballistic missile. First Ballistic missile takes it to some speed then Hyper sonic missile separates from the body and then goes on to hit the target.

Hypersonic missile from these tubes how on earth that is going to work ? What I have heard all my life is that Hyper Sonic missile is attached to a ballistic missile. First Ballistic missile takes it to some speed then Hyper sonic missile separates from the body and then goes on to hit the target.
Maybe the tubes are carrying those ballistic missiles?

Closer in capability to our smaller existing Talwar class frigates than existing Shivalik class or Nilgiri class that IN will be inducting soon.

Closer in capability to our smaller existing Talwar class frigates than existing Shivalik class or Nilgiri class that IN will be inducting soon.
There is no equivalent vessel in Indian Navy. Shivalik & Niligiri suits Indian Navy doctrinal requirements, Babur & Jinnah suits Pakistan Navy doctrinal requirements.

You have fundamental misunderstanding about ship borne missile launch systems.
Maybe the tubes are carrying those ballistic missiles?
May be there is no "ballistic" hypersonic missile in the first place?

There is no equivalent vessel in Indian Navy. Shivalik & Niligiri suits Indian Navy doctrinal requirements, Babur & Jinnah suits Pakistan Navy doctrinal requirements.
That's why I said closer in capability to Talwar class(we are getting 4 more) than Shivalik/Nilgiri, would you dispute this? I get that our requirements are different

You have fundamental misunderstanding about ship borne missile launch systems.

May be there is no "ballistic" hypersonic missile in the first place?
Yea, except the previous CNS said, "in the hypersonic domain, ship-based long-range anti-ship land-attack P282 ballistic missile is under development"

Like this (watch at 4:25, launch of CM401 ASBM from similar tubes):

Back
Top Bottom