What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Design finalized means all the different modules have been locked, manufacturers for those modules identified, vendors selected and contracts signed to buy/build everything that will go into the block-3.

This means everything from the fuselage, wiring, electronics down to the bolts that hold the seat.

Now all that is left is to place the order as such and start building it.
This may seem like a non issue to laymen, but for those familiar with project management and supply chain, it is a big achievement.

Slightly off topic...but I personally like that route BD took of heavily focusing on improving GDP first...

If it was up to me to run Pak...I would just give a straight and simple message to India "if India invades Pak...the very first response would be nukes...no warnings would be given nor any negotiations...so mind ur own business and we'll mind ours"...and it wouldn't be a bluff

Then I would focus fully on improving the economy in every way possible. After a decade of heavily focusing on the economy then I would shift gears to heavily modernizing the armed forces(with increased budget due to an improved economy) to bring back conventional minimum deterrence capabilities at the very least. Only with a strong economy can Pak try to keep up with India.

But it isn't, and they won't. And if Pakistan had been minding her own business, why would India bother, in the first place

Only with a strong economy can Pak try to keep up with India.

Now read your sentence inside out: for instance, "....with the present weak economy...."

Design finalized means all the different modules have been locked, manufacturers for those modules identified, vendors selected and contracts signed to buy/build everything that will go into the block-3.

This means everything from the fuselage, wiring, electronics down to the bolts that hold the seat.

This may seem like a non issue to laymen, but for those familiar with project management and supply chain, it is a big achievement.

Wow, that is very comprehensive response for a laymen like me .. so now its all set just place the order and start production .. so i am hopping it wont take long , as we can see production start by end of 2018

I am aware of that...of course it goes without saying that those issues will also be dealt with in my hypothetical...basically it will be an all out effort to improve the economy first, all other expenditures that don't necessarily help improve the economy will either be on hold or reduced and can be resumed after a decade.

Your thoughts are good but considering developed countries instead of burden they have made their defense sector as source of income. The synergy of resources is required in Pak case. Though much slower yet we are going in right direction i.e limited exports of JF17 and Mushak. Next step should be to manufacture hi tech military equipment i.e MBTs/APCS and export it to Arabs, North America and Africa.
The CPEC project along with defense exports shall open doors of prosperity for the country.

Very anxious to see what design they've come with. I personally would love to see more composites to reduce the weight and compensate for heavier weapons on dual racks, a different and more solid spinal structure maybe with CFT a la block 52, slightly larger wings to add two more hard points and retractable IFR. :coffee:

I thought I was rather clear and to the point in terms of conveying my thoughts in that post, though admittedly I did try to keep it short not to go too off topic...

In any case...let's see if I can clarify anything that wasn't well understood...
But it isn't
What isn't? R u referring to my statement of "if it was up to me to run Pak"?
Well yes...obviously...I'm quite aware of that, which is why I started the sentence with an IF.
and they won't.
I'm not quite sure what u mean by this in context of my post.
And if Pakistan had been minding her own business, why would India bother, in the first place
That is a way too simplistic an argument...the reason for hatred that exists between the two countries goes back to the time of the partition(and the slaughter that ensued). One can argue that it goes even further back then that and it manifests itself at the national level...but let's not get in to that long lengthy discussion on this thread that's about JF17.

I've heard this argument from too many Indians too often...that India doesn't want to attack Pakistan and that India is a peace loving country. Sure let's just take it at face value and imagine that is the case...

...then in my proposed theoretical situation in the post u quoted...it should be a smooth sailing bcuz peace would be needed while improving the economy.

As for the threat/warning of a MAD scenario...that is necessary in order to keep India at bay...bcuz while u(and other Indians) say that India wouldn't attack Pakistan, it's not a guarantee. It would be foolish to leave that possibility(of India attacking Pak) unaccounted for...even if we assume that India is led by angels now...would it be perpetually led by angels? What kind of a country would just go on to cut its defense spending and just HOPE that its enemy wouldn't attack?

ALL possibilities are to be taken into account and if history has proven anything, it is that POWER is what keeps u safe...that's not the case between India/Pak as of now where things are that lopsided in terms of a difference of power...in fact India has a slight advantage there. So that option is just out the window

In order to avoid the possibility of India attacking, Pak has to use the next best option...also demonstrated by history to work in practice. This is the threat of a MAD scenario. It kept two superpowers from attacking each other directly(they only engaged through third party means)

This is why the threat of nukes becomes necessary as I wrote in that post. It wouldn't be something said on a daily basis for media attention and chest thumping like some politicians do it...neither would it be a bluff. It would essentially be a tool to ensure safety for a certain amount of time.
Now read your sentence inside out: for instance, "....with the present weak economy...."
R u implying that Pak can't keep up conventionally with its current weak economy? How's that even a question? Isn't that obvious?

Why do u think I wrote about this...that I liked BD's approach and if I could I would first and foremost improve Pak's economy even if I have to cut defense spending(conventional capabilities)

In fact that holds true for any two countries...for any country X and any country Y, the one with the bigger/better economy can afford a bigger/better military might. So yes with its current weaker economy, Pak would be hard pressed to keep up conventionally against India. Thankfully with China as a second front for India to worry about...it divides considerably large portions of forces/materials/equipment that Pak would otherwise have had to worry about...and this is why it was a must for Pak to develop nukes to sort of even the playing field. In any case Pak still needs to improve its economy as much as possible bcuz conventional capabilities are also a must.

My reply has gone long enough as it is...and if u wish to discuss this any further let's take it to another rather appropriate thread.

Last edited:
Very anxious to see what design they've come with. I personally would love to see more composites to reduce the weight and compensate for heavier weapons on dual racks, a different and more solid spinal structure maybe with CFT a la block 52, slightly larger wings to add two more hard points and retractable IFR. :coffee:
Sir I agree with you but the matter of CFT would be interesting, never heard of it's development also is it too early to say?

Your thoughts are good but considering developed countries instead of burden they have made their defense sector as source of income. The synergy of resources is required in Pak case. Though much slower yet we are going in right direction i.e limited exports of JF17 and Mushak. Next step should be to manufacture hi tech military equipment i.e MBTs/APCS and export it to Arabs, North America and Africa.
Agreed
The CPEC project along with defense exports shall open doors of prosperity for the country.
I hope that is the case. CPEC could help immensely if done right.

But it isn't, and they won't. And if Pakistan had been minding her own business, why would India bother, in the first place

Sri Lanka was minding its own business; yet India can’t stop interfering.
The Maldives was independent too, until someone decided to interfere.

Less said the better of when the efforts to recruit operatives from BD began, since it was much before true public agitation or even intellectual agitation began.

any specific reason why it will take a year or so ? isn't block 2 production has completed ? or is it because of JF -17 B version ?
Are you studying in a university?
Rhetorical but relevant to your question

But what about testing the new configuration? What if some component or combination of components does not work as advertised?

Back
Top Bottom