What's new

Israel Watches Warily as Hezbollah Gains Battle Skills in Syria

SinaG

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/w...s-hezbollah-gains-battle-skills-in-syria.html

TEL AVIV — Hezbollah’s distracting and costly engagement in the Syrian civil war has offered some practical benefit to Israelis. It has also been a source of foreboding.

On the one hand, Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese Shiite organization that fought a monthlong war against Israel in 2006, is preoccupied with shoring up the government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria in its struggle against rebel forces, and is suffering losses.

But Hezbollah is also acquiring battlefield experience, and the only way for Mr. Assad, a longtime Hezbollah ally, to repay the group is by supplying it with sophisticated weapons, according to Israeli military officials and experts — strengths that could eventually be used against Israel.

“Hezbollah has 4,000 to 5,000 soldiers today in Syria,” a senior Israeli military officer told reporters at army headquarters here last week. “This is a major burden for Hezbollah but also a major advantage.” Speaking on the condition of anonymity in accordance with Israeli Army rules, he added, “I have no doubt that Hezbollah gained much more self-confidence because of the Syrian experience.”

Hezbollah fired thousands of rockets at Israel during the 2006 war, which began after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers on the Israel-Lebanon border. More than 1,000 Lebanese and dozens of Israelis were killed in the fighting, which ended with a United Nations-brokered cease-fire. The war was deemed a failure by many Israelis, though experts say it restored a degree of deterrence.

Since then, Israel’s border with Lebanon has been mostly quiet. But Israel is preparing intensively for another possible round of fighting with Hezbollah, which military planners here see as inevitable. In their view, the experience gained by Hezbollah’s commanders and fighters in Syria is likely to make that next round more challenging for Israel.

“This kind of experience cannot be bought,” said Gabi Siboni, director of the military and strategic affairs program at the Institute for National Security Studies at Tel Aviv University.

Mr. Siboni and other analysts said that Hezbollah’s experience in Syria should not be overstated since the group is fighting rebel forces like the Free Syrian Army and jihadist groups, not a modern, regular army. Still, Mr. Siboni said: “It is an additional factor that we will have to deal with. There is no replacement for experience, and it is not to be scoffed at.”

While the Israeli military used to plan for conventional armored battle — tanks against tanks — now its forces train to withstand fighters who have antitank missiles and secret underground hide-outs.

Over the last two years, according to military officials, much Israeli Army training has moved from the southern desert to the Galilee region in the north, where the terrain is similar to that of Lebanon and Syria.

At the same time, the Israeli military is conducting a mostly covert campaign to maintain a qualitative edge over Hezbollah and curb the buildup of the group’s weaponry. Israel has refused to confirm or deny involvement in about half a dozen airstrikes over the past year, mostly in Syrian territory. But Israel’s leaders have said they will act to prevent transfers of sophisticated weapons to Hezbollah from Syria, such as accurate, long-range rockets and shore-to-ship or ground-to-air missiles. Israel is also concerned about Hezbollah’s acquisition of unmanned aerial vehicles, more commonly known as drones or U.A.V.’s.

“A Hezbollah with modern surface-to-air systems, with modern U.A.V.’s, with modern cybercapabilities, well, this is a different Hezbollah,” the senior military official said, one that could have “much more appetite to taste another conflict with Israel.”

In a departure from its usual practice of remaining silent about the Israeli airstrikes, Hezbollah openly accused Israel of striking one of its positions on the Lebanon-Syria border on the night of Feb. 24, and it threatened to retaliate at a time and place of its choosing.

Days later, in another unusual development, Israeli forces in the Golan Heights fired artillery shells at a small squad of men across the Israel-Syria frontier who were said to have been trying to plant an explosive device. The Israeli military described the men as “Hezbollah-affiliated terrorists.” The official Syrian news agency, SANA, said the Israeli fire wounded seven Syrian security personnel and four civilians.

If the men were indeed affiliated with Hezbollah, the episode could indicate that the group has started operating against Israel in a new arena, along the decades-old cease-fire line between Israel and Syria.

Still, many Israeli analysts believe that for Hezbollah, the disadvantages of its engagement in Syria outweigh the advantages, and that there is an upside for Israel.

Fighting to help preserve the Assad government in Syria is “almost existential” for Hezbollah, said Ely Karmon of the International Institute for Counterterrorism at the Interdisciplinary Center in Herzliya, Israel. Under the Assad family’s rule, all of Hezbollah’s Iranian-supplied weapons passed through Damascus, Syria’s capital. And the group, Mr. Karmon said, has “always needed the strategic umbrella of Syria.”

Hezbollah has been amassing weaponry since 2006, years before the civil war in Syria began. But Mr. Karmon said that Hezbollah’s advanced weapons, supplied by Iran, were intended mainly for use against Israel in the event of an Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear program.

Under cover of the chaos in Syria, Israel has been freer to take action against the weapons buildup without fear of retaliation, the assumption being that Hezbollah, embroiled in Syria, is not in a position now to open another broad front against Israel.

In addition, analysts here say, the Lebanese group’s image at home and in the broader Arab world has been severely damaged because it is fighting Sunni rebels in Syria while its legitimacy rested on its role in fighting Israel.

Hezbollah’s reputation is suffering further, according to Shaul Shay, a former deputy head of Israel’s National Security Council, because of the increasing spillover from the Syrian conflict onto Lebanese soil in the form of a wave of deadly bomb attacks.

Syria is Hezbollah’s “Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq,” said Yoram Schweitzer, an expert at the Institute for National Security Studies. Though Hezbollah is acquiring battle experience, Mr. Schweitzer said, “in my view, the price it is paying is greater than the gain.”

Quick on the draw, that's how I zapped A-rabs in the army.

No hesitation pop pop pow.

Now really, I wasn't allowed a gun because I was too eager. They stuck me in intelligence because I'm one clever mofo.
Why you zapping your cousins? Brother @al-Hasani would not be pleased about that.

I think i would back the Israelis in a possible Hez - Isreal conflict. People on this forum seriously underestimate the IDF for some reason. Sure Hezbollah got some good guerrilla tactics but in an all out fight? No chance.

I think i would back the Israelis in a possible Hez - Isreal conflict. People on this forum seriously underestimate the IDF for some reason. Sure Hezbollah got some good guerrilla tactics but in an all out fight? No chance.
In a straight out fight of course Israel would win, but Hezbollah are masters of guerrilla warfare. Look at 2006 for examples of that, since then they have just improved their weaponry and have now gained experience in Syria.

In a straight out fight of course Israel would win, but Hezbollah are masters of guerrilla warfare. Look at 2006 for examples of that, since then they have just improved their weaponry and have now gained experience in Syria.

The IDF had less losses in that conflict. And it's silly to think the IDF haven't also improved since then. I'm not taking anything away from Hezbollah here, as a Turk I know how much trouble determined guerrilla forces can cause.

The IDF had less losses in that conflict. And it's silly to think the IDF haven't also improved since then. I'm not taking anything away from Hezbollah here, as a Turk I know how much trouble determined guerrilla forces can cause.
Of course they had less losses, but in my opinion, and the majority opinion, it was a stalemate at best. Hezbollah are also far more advanced then forces such as PKK, only time will what will happen in a future conflict, but Israel are rightfully wary of Hezbollah.

Cousin Hasani is an educated and bright lad who does not conform to the stereotypical Arabian chanting "death to....such and such" and burns flags/effigies.

He's also passionate about his country & culture, which I like. He even respects the old Jewish communities of Yemen.

Occasionally we will differ, but that is inevitable.

Whereas I find that the vast majority on here are a bit more simple and will (for example) pretend they are such champions of 'palestinians' - but you can tell they know nothing about 'palestinians' Absolutely nothing. They're just used as a way to hate Israel.

I don't respect these cowards.
The Israeli hate mainly comes from what is seen as a colonialist takeover of Palestine. The reason Europeans got away with that shit in America and Australia is because they wiped out all of the natives, but you didn't manage to do that in Palestine and there are many, many Arabs who won't forget this.

I don't believe Hezbollah will go to war with Israel anytime soon nor do I see Israel going to war with Lebanon anytime soon.

Hizbullah is old player, it would be wrong to say Israel is tolerating them only since Syrian war.

I bet you know nothing about palestinians.

We didn't "managed it" because we didn't try to wipe out anyone. Arabs were free to stay hence why there are over a million in Israel who live better lives than any Arabian.

People like you ( an Irani Shia) hate me, (an Israeli Jew) - because we are in conflict with a population of Arab Sunnis.

You couldn't make it up. What the hell has Iran got to do with it?

Do you think a Catholic from Brazil is angry at the UK for holding onto Northern Ireland? :lol:

You're not the same race (even though Arabs are mixed in with Iranis) and you're not even the same branch of religion as 'palestinians'.

Yet you see it as YOUR conflict :lol: you've spent Billions fighting us and have achieved nothing.
You keep on saying "you" and "your" like I have any influence on Iran's foreign policy or something. :lol: I am just a lowly squirrel in this world trying to get a nut (pistachio nut since you ask).

Well you can't compare Middle East with Brazil and UK, in fact you can't compare the Middle East with anywhere else. Also I don't hate you or any random Israelis for that matter, I am simply against colonialist style settlements in other people's lands.

concern with the illegal occupation and settlements in Cyprus by none other than Islamic Turkey
We are allergic to this word...

Oh and Greeks started it and got a big fat Ottoman slap in their face. :bunny:

3696da99fcb1078ab7171df97350ea15-jpg.19002

For someone who has no control over your regime, you sure run your mouth off on here in the same fashion as the deranged Mullahs.
Bit rich coming from you. Like you don't run the government line of Israel. :lol: In fact I have never seen one Israeli on here ever condemn any action of Israel. Not you, not 500, not Archdemon, not Controlled Pair or Mozambique drill. :P But in all seriousness at least I critisize when my country does something wrong, you guys are all government mouthpieces.

And if you're concerned about settlements etc, then perhaps we can see you showing the same concern with the illegal occupation and settlements in Cyprus by none other than Islamic Turkey. Now, they did remove the population and replaced it with Turks.
Cyprus issue happened in Medieval times, sadly then this was a common issue. Israel's creation is still fresh in the minds of people.

Russia with Chechnya etc
As far as I can tell Chechnya still exists.

You in Iran have some disputed island type thing with one of the Gulf nations? should I be hating you over that?
The dispute is with UAE, who did not exist as a country before the 70s while Iran has continuously had these islands for thousands of years.

I just don't see what Iran's obsession is with us.
We want the secret recipe for your salt beef and lox. We won't leave you alone till you relinquish this information to us.

I was going to make that pistachio joke.
I knew you where. Your jokes are getting stale bro. I guess the Jewish comedy gene never made its way to you. Larry David would not approve.

I criticised them for not killing enough terrorists, does that count.
Yeah it counts I guess. So how long have you been fundraising for Avidgor Lieberman?

1974? you must b really young to describe that as medieval
Turks moved into Cyprus in the 1500s.

Ok, so what do you think abut Israel supporting the UAE over these Iranian-occupied islands and sending advanced weapons to a militia which will fight you for them?
Go for it bro, train them up real good.

I'm plenty funny, don't you worry about that. I'm saving my best material for when more people are on the forum to appreciate it.
Looking forward to it. Let me know when you role out the Shlomo comedy tour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom