What's new

India told not to 'bracket Bangladesh with Pakistan'

Doctor Death

BANNED
Reaction score
India told not to 'bracket Bangladesh with Pakistan'.
Last Updated: Monday, December 17, 2012, 15:48

New Delhi: Not happy to be "bracketed with Pakistan" in terms of security risk, Bangladesh on Monday said it was creating problems for its businessmen to set up shop here while Indian brand names were freely operating in Dhaka.

It said the matter has been taken up with Indian authorities.

"Major problem (is) banking transactions. If I go to Dhaka, you will see over 100 Indian brand names over there. I face questions from my own family that why cannot we see Bangladeshi brand names here. We had somebody apply for setting up an outlet here but he cannot.”

"We are still bracketed with Pakistan in terms of security. The RBI mechanism spits out the application and it is thrown on the wayside because we are still a security risk.... We have taken this up, I don't know how long it will take," Bangladesh High Commissioner to India Tariq Ahmad Karim said here.

He was addressing a conference on South Asian Economic Integration here.

Kamar said if Bangladeshi nationals are not allowed to even open bank accounts, "they are not going to come. These are little things but they translate into huge things".

Stressing the need for having better communication facilities between the two countries, he said, "I hope before I leave India in another 12 months, I will see a revised travel arrangement which will make communication easier. Without communication, you cannot have business done."

The Bangladeshi High Commissioner suggested that it was in India's interest to see the growth of his country as it can help in growth of its northeastern states.

"I have always contended that if India's growth rate remains to be 7 to 9 percent, it could go a couple of notches up if Northeast's growth rate could be pushed up from 4 to 7 percent. That can happen only if Bangladesh's growth rate goes up from 6 to 8-9 percent. It is in India's interest to help us grow because that will help northeast to grow," he said.

On the restrictions in trading goods from only Benapole and Petrapole international trade posts, he said the possibility of opening up more such posts should be examined by the Indian side.

He said in a similar fashion, more ports should also be opened up by the Indian side which are more "economically viable".

Concluding his speech, Karim said, "I am sorry if I appear little abrasive, I am perhaps also a little frustrated. We have to think big if we have to achieve large targets."

PTI

India told not to `bracket Bangladesh with Pakistan`

India told not to 'bracket Bangladesh with Pakistan'
Last Updated: Monday, December 17, 2012, 15:48

India told not to `bracket Bangladesh with Pakistan`

Tags: India, Bangladesh, Pakistan
New Delhi: Not happy to be "bracketed with Pakistan" in terms of security risk, Bangladesh on Monday said it was creating problems for its businessmen to set up shop here while Indian brand names were freely operating in Dhaka.

It said the matter has been taken up with Indian authorities.

"Major problem (is) banking transactions. If I go to Dhaka, you will see over 100 Indian brand names over there. I face questions from my own family that why cannot we see Bangladeshi brand names here. We had somebody apply for setting up an outlet here but he cannot.”

"We are still bracketed with Pakistan in terms of security. The RBI mechanism spits out the application and it is thrown on the wayside because we are still a security risk.... We have taken this up, I don't know how long it will take," Bangladesh High Commissioner to India Tariq Ahmad Karim said here.

He was addressing a conference on South Asian Economic Integration here.

Kamar said if Bangladeshi nationals are not allowed to even open bank accounts, "they are not going to come. These are little things but they translate into huge things".

Stressing the need for having better communication facilities between the two countries, he said, "I hope before I leave India in another 12 months, I will see a revised travel arrangement which will make communication easier. Without communication, you cannot have business done."

The Bangladeshi High Commissioner suggested that it was in India's interest to see the growth of his country as it can help in growth of its northeastern states.

"I have always contended that if India's growth rate remains to be 7 to 9 percent, it could go a couple of notches up if Northeast's growth rate could be pushed up from 4 to 7 percent. That can happen only if Bangladesh's growth rate goes up from 6 to 8-9 percent. It is in India's interest to help us grow because that will help northeast to grow," he said.

On the restrictions in trading goods from only Benapole and Petrapole international trade posts, he said the possibility of opening up more such posts should be examined by the Indian side.

He said in a similar fashion, more ports should also be opened up by the Indian side which are more "economically viable".

Concluding his speech, Karim said, "I am sorry if I appear little abrasive, I am perhaps also a little frustrated. We have to think big if we have to achieve large targets."

PTI

If our politicians feel that Bangladeshi banks are a security risk , then there must be good reason for it.

This is just a pretext for India to prevent Bangladeshi investment and sales in India.

All the time on this forum we here from Indians that Bangladesh is insignificant, now they are telling us they are scared of us.

Chose one or the other.

Many Bangladeshi Banks are operating here, Sonali being the leader of the pack. Nothing wrong with RBI policy, one cannot get permission at will, couple of ground work has to be checked.

This is just a pretext for India to prevent Bangladeshi investment and sales in India.

All the time on this forum we here from Indians that Bangladesh is insignificant, now they are telling us they are scared of us.

Chose one or the other.

Does calling a nation a "SECURITY THREAT" means that India is scared of it?? Even USA called Iraq, Iran, NK etc. "SECURITY THREATS" does that mean the world's SOLE SUPERPOWER is scared of these nations??? And yes if India feels if BD businesses are security risks so be it, India is a sovereign country that can take whatever decisions it wants to take wrt it's land, if u want u can do the same in ur country, Just to quote u - "Bangladesh is insignificant" Period.

Chose one or the other.
The point is that terror groups like the HuJI etc operate from BD from terror camps near the border areas. BD refugees continue to infiltrate from BD into India and with them come these terrorists in the guise of BD infiltrators creating a huge security problem.

Now if BD banks etc are allowed to be opened here, then they could well be used for funding terror activities in India. That's the problem.

Many Bangladeshi Banks are operating here, Sonali being the leader of the pack. Nothing wrong with RBI policy, one cannot get permission at will, couple of ground work has to be checked.

Exactly, if this forum is anything to go by, Bangladesh as a nation is going through some sort of wierd Islamization phase (kinda like Pak/Afghanistan), so its better if we keep our distance from them in terms of trade and other nation to nation contacts. After all, national security will always be the single most important factor for us.

Exactly, if this forum is anything to go by, Bangladesh as a nation is going through some sort of wierd Islamization phase (kinda like Pak/Afghanistan), so its better if we keep our distance from them in terms of trade and other nation to nation contacts. After all, national security will always be the single most important factor for us.

If this fear of funding the terror groups existed then why sign these kind of deals with Bangladesh to begin with Eventually this policy will come back to haunt India as sooner or later others will do the same to Indian business in their country.

If this fear of funding the terror groups existed then why sign these kind of deals with Bangladesh to begin with Eventually this policy will come back to haunt India as sooner or later others will do the same to Indian business in their country.

Why ? Because at that time it was profitable. Is it now anymore? I dont know, but the Govt of India doesnt seem to think so...

Why ? Because at that time it was profitable. Is it now anymore? I don't know, but the Govt of India doesn't seem to think so...

Yeah Trade deals don't work like this they are suppose to be beneficial to both.

THe High commissioner of BD has a valid point, growth of BD economy will carry forward the whole area including Myanmar and the NE.

When Pakistani media claims that Indian is helping Terrorist against Pakistan Most Indians ask for solid proof but when bogus claims are made against pakistan by Indian media all of sudden guilty as charged and here is the proof given Pakistani ISI circulating counterfeit currency in India and Bangladesh :: Weekly Blitz
same media also claim this Fake currency come to India through Bangladesh, 1 Bangladeshi apprehended | SP News Agency and

But their own crime Branch traces Fake Money from Bangladesh Crime branch traces counterfeit currency racket to Bangladesh - Pune - DNA

Dam these I S I Guys are amazing they cant catch Terrorist Taliban but they can Distribute fake money in India And bangladesh and help India gain an upper hand in trade deals with bangladesh.

the fears are genuine

Indian officials signed on the dotted line with this knowledge then Indian business took full advantage of the deal and gained Access to bangladesh market during all this time it was cool but genuine fears only came into play when Bengali businesses ask India to honor their part of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom