What's new

India to buy and manufacture F-16I?

Keyser,

i suggest you go read about Block 60, It was developed by Lockheed Martin for UAE,

I am sure Sufa is better than Block 60 given to the UAE, Israeli Sufa is a Block 52 modified by IAI with conformal tanks and Israeli Avionics. And I expect it to be better than Block 60, But According to the Literature avail Block 60 is the ultimate in F-16

F-16E/F
block 60
F-16 Versions main menu History

A scale model of an early design phase in the block 60 development. It never matured this way. (Bill Sweetman photo)
The Block 60 designation was originally reserved back in 1989. It was to be the F/A-16 which sported a 30 mm cannon and strengthened wing structure for anti-tank weapons such as 7.62 mm min pods. This aircraft was briefly in consideration to replace the A-10 warthog. The "original" Block 60 did not go into production, and its designation basically ends the series of adding another block.

The "new" Block 60 F-16 represents an evolutionary step ahead of the current block 50 aircraft. At first, the Block 60 was developed featuring a delta wing design. Through the development phase, LMTAS altered its strategy and decided to just start from the basic F-16 structure without altering too much on its design.

Structure & Avionics
The Block 60 features an enormous amount of new capabilities. For one thing, the Fighting Falcon Block 60's range is extended with addition of fuselage mounted conformal fuel tanks and wing tanks, similar to the F-16ES and Block 50/52 Plus.

Secondly, the Northrop Grumman AN/ASQ-28 IFTS (Internal FLIR and Targeting System) replaces the pods in earlier aircraft. With state-of-the art components and packaging technology, the Internal FLIR Targeting System (IFTS) incorporates an advanced multi-functional FLIR/laser system into the F-16 nose to improve lethality and survivability with lower weight and drag and a laser targeting pod mounted underneath the fuselage. The elimination of bulky pods also enhances stealthiness.

Thirdly, there is an integrated electronic warfare suite with the Northrop Grumman 'Falcon Edge' internal electronic countermeasures system, the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-80 "Agile Beam Radar" with AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array), an electronic warfare management system, fiber-optic avionics data bus and up to eight chaff/flare dispensers, as well as advanced friend or foe. The aircraft's advanced avionics suite has room available for future improvements. The Block 60's modular mission computer has a processing throughput of 12.5 million instructions per second and provides sensor and weapons integration.

The first picture of a UAE block 60 F-16 taken at the unofficial roll-out. (LMTAS photo)
The ALQ-165 electronic countermeasures system, also known as the Airborne Self-Protection Jammer (ASPJ), is a sophisticated, high-power jamming system developed to fulfill both U.S. Navy and Air Force requirements - although the USAF abandonned the program a while ago. Missile warning systems on the Block 60 provide advanced warning of approaching missiles so the pilot can activate countermeasures in time. The Block 60 F-16 can accommodate both active and passive missile warning systems currently under development.

Any F-16 pilot can perform mission tasks with his head up and his eyes looking out of the cockpit and with his hands on the flight controls. The Block 60 adds to this excellent pilot-aircraft interface by incorporating three advanced 5-inch by 7-inch color displays. The aircraft has wiring and space allocated for a helmet-mounted cuing system that can be added to improve pilot situation awareness.

The Block 60 F-16 retains the full armament capability of the Block 50's and adds several new capabilities. The Block 60's basic design and weapon interfaces are compatible with projected future weapons including new air-to-air missiles such as the AIM-132 Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM). The aircraft will also support all-weather standoff weapons, such as the AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW), and AGM-84E Standoff Land Attack Missile (SLAM).

The Block 60 F-16 has been developed with planned growth improvements and technology advances in virtually all major areas, including engines, avionics, and weapons.

Production
So far, the Block 60 has only be sold to the United Arab Emirates. The total order stands for 80 aircraft compromising 55 single-seat E-models and 25 double-seat F-models. Deliveries will start in 2004 and run through 2007.

Specifications
Engine: One General Electric F110-GE-132 turbofan, rated at 19,000 lb.s.t. dry and 32,500 lb.s.t. with afterburning.

Performance: Maximum short-endurance speed: Mach 2.02 (1333 mph) at 40,000 feet. Maximum sustained speed Mach 1.89 (1247 mph) at 40,000 feet.

Dimensions: wingspan 31 feet 0 inches, length 49 feet 4 inches, height 16 feet 8 1/2 inches, wing area 300 square feet.

Weights: around 22,000 pounds empty, 29,000 pounds normal loaded (air-to-air mission), 46,000 pounds maximum takeoff.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article10.html

November 26, 2003 (by F16VIPER) - The long-awaited Israeli F-16I Sufa ('Storm') rolled off Lockheed Martin's production line in Texas.It is the first of 102 ordered by Israel in 1997. The estimated $4.5 billion dollar F-16I deal will be financed by the annual U.S. military aid package and concludes the largest Israeli military purchase in history.

Factory fresh. New F-16I for the IDFAF. The F-16I is a heavily modified two seat version of the F-16D Block 50/52. In addition to the new and more powerful Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engine, the F-16I boasts numerous internal and external advancements and modifications.The Sufa has for example been customized with new avionic technologies, internally mounted FLIR (forward looking infrared) viewers, and cutting edge weapon system hardware provided by the Israeli defense company Lahav - a division of Israel Aircraft Industries.

The Lahav technology will allow for simultaneous, multi-target air-to-air engagement and increased standoff and survivability capabilities. The F-16I has been earmarked to receive the new Python 5 imaging infrared-guided high agility air-to-air missile produced by Rafael. The predecessor to the Python 5, the Python 4, was by many regarded to be the most advanced heat-seeking missile in the world. The Python 5 boasts a new seeker less prone to countermeasures, lock-after-launch capabilities, and an extended operational engagement time once fired. In addition, the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-68(V)9 multimode radar increases the distance of airborne engagement by 30 percent over the older APG-69 system and affords the "Sufa" with a high-resolution synthetic-aperture ground mapping capability.

Complementing the upgraded weapon systems is a dorsal compartment containing enhanced mission avionics and chaff and flare dispensers, enabling it to conduct either pilot training or combat missions. In addition, removable conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) have been added along the fuselage and above the wing roots, freeing-up underwing hard points for additional armaments. The F-16I has an unrefueled combat strike radius well in excess of 500 miles. The extended flight range allows Israeli forces to attack targets well within Iran and Libya without having to refuel. In addition, the cockpit of the F-16I has been expanded to provide for the addition of an onboard weapons officer situated behind the pilot.

Israel had originally ordered 50 F-16Is in 2001 but increased the purchase to 102 after deciding against the procurement of additional the more expensive twin engine Boeing F-15Is - for which the IAF placed an order for 25 in 1997. Whereas each F-15 costs approximately $84 million the cost of the F-16I is estimated at $45 million per aircraft.

The acquisition of the Sufa compliments Israel's deterrent strategy by further strengthening the threat to carry out retaliatory strikes throughout the Middle East while at the same time allowing the IAF to retire aging A-4 Skyhawks and F-4E Phantom IIs in service with the IAF since the late 1960s.

Three squadrons of the new aircraft are expected to be operational from the Ramon airbase deep inside the Negev by 2008 with the first strike aircraft arriving next month.

With the additional 102 new F-16Is, Israel will operate a total of 362 F-16s - the largest fleet of F-16s in the world outside of the United States Air Force.

Lockheed Martin will continue production at a rate of about 1.5 planes per month, and until 2008 they will send a few jets to Israel several times a year.
http://www.f-16.net/news_article912.html

F-16I and F-19 blk 70 would be the same thing for india, it's american tech afterall. And they know how ameria works. It'll be stupid for them to do such thing

I have some questions

which AESA radar Lockheed is offering India with its F16 ??

how does it compare with F18's radar..??

and r they going to refuse tot for radar like boeing ...??

r they willing to outsource other component manufacture to India permanently..?? (for future F16 sales for other countries..)

:rolleyes:

is there any weapon that india is not going to buy?

su-27/30, PAKFA, mig-29, F-16I, tell me what is the next?

043c2ee97fc96b6d76587c96bfb8f5ef.jpg

8cf00548c1b93fc8598ad84adcf39fbf.jpg

bbad584b01aa0614bfb91cb9b0df8b00.jpg

a2747e7bff8e42a9b672db7b75feb19c.jpg

424f8074a94febd36a792babb921cef8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom