What's new

India to buy and manufacture F-16I?

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India to buy and manufacture F-16I?

India has been offered the advanced F-16I Sufa, according to Defence News. The F-16I is a version specifically designed and built for Israel. As part of the deal, 108 of the 126 aircraft would be manufactured in India.

In a Tel Aviv-datelined dispatch, it said, "Fighter jets vying for India's $8 billion Medium-range Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) programme may have to make room for a late entry: the Lockheed Martin F-16I Sufa (Storm), designed and built for the Israeli Air Force. In an unprecedented move aimed at sharpening its edge over fellow US and international competitors, Lockheed Martin is eyeing the F-16I as a low-cost, high-performance alternative to the French Rafale, the Swedish JAS 39 Gripen, the Eurofighter Typhoon, Boeing's F/A-18E/F and the Russian MiG-35."

The report, quoting US and Israeli sources, said that the precise configuration of the single-engine aircraft offered would depend on the operational and industrial requirements detailed in New Delhi's upcoming request for proposals (RfP). However, Lockheed's Fort Worth, Texas, Aeronautics unit has begun asking the US government for third-country export licences.

"We have submitted a request for licensing of an F-16 configuration that we think will match the Indian Air Force requirements, pending our receipt of the RfP," said Lockheed Martin spokesman Joe Stout. He declined to elaborate on specific technologies and subsystems that could be included in the company's bid. He said a team dedicated to the MMRCA programme has been working since the beginning of the year on a number of F-16 configurations that may prove more compatible with operational needs as well as New Delhi's requirements for offsets and industrial cooperation. Other options could include a variant of the F-16 block 60, which carries advanced US avionics and the Northrop Grumman APG-80 active electronically scanned radar, or on the Block 50/52 versions flown by the US Air Force and now being produced for several air forces.

Defence News, an online military and defence news portal, said if Lockheed offered the F-16I to India, it would be the first time an extensively modified US fighter containing non-US-made avionics, weaponry and major sub-systems had been offered at the front end of an international competition. Lockheed has sold to Chile and Singapore F-16s that contained significant Israeli content, but those items were demanded by the customers from the start. "To the best of my knowledge, the idea of pitching a US fighter with significant, technologically advanced third-party content hasn't been done before," said Richard Aboulafia, vice president for analysis at the Teal Group, a Fairfax, Va.-based aerospace and defense consulting firm. "If this is the case, and the US government allows Lockheed to offer a clone of the Israel Air Force plane, it's another indication of the unprecedented military and diplomatic initiatives being taken to promote a US win in this strategically important programme."

The new MMRCAs are expected to complement New Delhi's high-end fleet of Su-30MKIs and the lower-end, locally developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft. Initial requests for information called for 18 aircraft to be delivered directly from the prime contractor, with 108 to be produced under license in India. Since then, however, the Indian Air Force has been lobbying to expand the buy to more than 200 planes, as a hedge against additional delays of the Tejas. Indian Air Force sources said MMRCA orders could be split among two countries. According to these sources, a decision to award more than one contract would speed deliveries to the Air Force while doubling the political benefits to be accrued through tandem cooperative programmes
http://www.f-16.net/news_article2240.html

they are block-60 f-16s......:lol: nothing like block-70........:disagree: but same thing under israelian licence......:agree:

Bo, there is no block 70 as of now, however LM has also offered it, it will copmrise the best of block 52+ and block 60 with many elements from F-35. It would be like a wannabe JSF. This means that F-16I is ALSO avialable to us, should we chose it.

Please chk LM website. Info about Blk 70 is written there in the India section.

Can't tell much from the pictures, but it does look a lot like the Blk 60 (If you follow the link)with Israeli rather than American kit.

The long-awaited Israeli F-16I Sufa (‘Storm') rolled off Lockheed Martin's production line in Texas last week into the waiting hands of Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz, who was on scene to receive the new aircraft, the first of 102 ordered by Jerusalem in 1997.

The Israeli Air Force (IAF) chose to acquire the latest version of the world renowned Lockheed Martin F-16 over additional purchases of the more expensive twin engine Boeing F-15I - for which the IAF placed an order for 25 in 1997. The estimated $4.5 billion dollar F-16I deal ($45 million per aircraft) will be financed by the annual U.S. military aid package and concludes the largest Israeli military purchase in history. Each F-15 cost approximately $84 million.

The F-16I is a heavily modified two seat version of the U.S. Air Force's F-16D Block 50/52-series fighter. In addition to the new and more powerful Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engine, the F-16I boasts numerous internal and external advancements and modifications. For example, the Sufa has been customized with new avionic technologies, internally mounted FLIR (forward looking infrared) viewers, and cutting edge weapon system hardware provided by the Israeli defense company Lahav - a division of Israel Aircraft Industries.

The Lahav technology will allow for simultaneous, multi-target air-to-air engagement and increased standoff and survivability capabilities. The F-16I has been earmarked to receive the new Python 5 imaging infrared-guided high agility air-to-air missile produced by Rafael, the former Israeli Armaments Development Authority. The predecessor to the Python 5, the Python 4, was regarded to be the most advanced heat-seeking missile in the world. The Python 5 boasts a new seeker less prone to countermeasures, lock-after-launch capabilities, and an extended operational engagement time once fired. In addition, the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-68(V)9 multimode radar increases the distance of airborne engagement by 30 percent over the older APG-69 system and affords the "Sufa" with a high-resolution synthetic-aperture ground mapping capability.

Complementing the upgraded weapon systems is a dorsal compartment containing enhanced mission avionics and chaff and flare dispensers, enabling it to conduct either pilot training or combat missions. In addition, removable conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) have been added along the fuselage and above the wing roots, freeing-up underwing hard points for additional armaments. The F-16I has an unrefueled combat strike radius well in excess of 500 miles. The extended flight range allows Israeli forces to attack targets well within Iran and Libya without having to refuel. In addition, the cockpit of the F-16I has been expanded to provide for the addition of an onboard weapons officer situated behind the pilot. It has a 820 non-refueling radius of operation.

Israel had originally ordered 50 F-16Is in 2001 but increased the purchase to 102 after deciding against the procurement of additional F-15Is. The acquisition of the Sufa compliments Israel's deterrent strategy by further strengthening the threat to carry out retaliatory strikes throughout the Middle East while at the same time allowing the IAF to retire aging A-4 Skyhawks and F-4E Phantom IIs in service with the IAF since the late 1960s.

Three squadrons of the new aircraft are expected to be operational from the Ramon airbase deep inside the Negev by 2008 with the first strike aircraft arriving next month.

With the arrival of the 102 F-16Is, Israel will have a total of 362 of the jets – the largest fleet in any country in the world behind the United States. The F-16s are the backbone of the IAF, but these new "I" models will give added punch to the long-range capabilities of the IAF and will complement the squadron of F-15Is Israel received in the end of the 1990s.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/f-16i/F-16I.html

There is only one version Block 60, It belongs to the UAE. Lockheed has to pay money to them, when they are sold elswhere since they paid for the development. Sufa's Block52 with conformal tanks. Block 70's is something Lockheed will Develop for India, It is non-existant now

There is only one version Block 60, It belongs to the UAE. Lockheed has to pay money to them, when they are sold elswhere since they paid for the development. Sufa's Block52 with conformal tanks. Block 70's is something Lockheed will Develop for India, It is non-existant now

so uncle Putin will get shafted.:D

Are these F-16s better than the One we are getting. I seriously think we should consider the EF-2000 and scrap F-16 deal

but what impresses me about it (f-18) is the engine of F-18hornet like the MIG-35 it also has twin engine but both engine's of the F-18 is more slick and smaller in size though MIG-35 make no mistake is one of the best fighter aircraft in todays aviation industries

Take a look at the spine of the SUFA it has the spine that is indicative of a larger radar (APG-80 in all likelyhood) Plus the secondary seat. It's a Blk 60........but with Israeli items built into it so will probably bypass any requirements for UAE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom