What's new

IAF modernisation plan: Saab offers Gripen fighter jets under 'Make in India' with full control

YAWN.

Yet ANOTHER competitor who was NOT found to meet the orginal IAF technical criteiria now offering the world to India after having LOST-where were these "sweetners" the first time around?

Do these clowns think Indians are idiots? The Rafale is almost certain to be procured but the IAF would get into the highly cost-prohibitve buisness of inducting yet ANOTHER fighter type to serve in its inventory?Oh and on top of this the GoI would be ordering a fighter that effectively kills of the need for the domestic light fighter that they have already commited to >100 orders for. Please serve your BS somewhere else, dangling the "Make in India" carrot isn't going to blindsight anyone.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s

They edged our Rafale in Brazil with their tot offer. .trying that stunt again.

They edged our Rafale in Brazil with their tot offer. .trying that stunt again.
They won the Brazilian deal on cost mostly and look at the shape of Brazil's economy to understand why that was the more improtant factor. Given that the Gripen is no longer invovled in any open procurement for the GoI I'd say the situation was very different in this case.

They won the Brazilian deal on cost mostly and look at the shape of Brazil's economy to understand why that was the more improtant factor. Given that the Gripen is no longer invovled in any open procurement for the GoI I'd say the situation was very different in this case.

They still operate their marketing office in Delhi. .The buzz is that till the deal is not inked it isn't over.

I doubt there will be a change in the adopted posture though.

They still operate their marketing office in Delhi. .The buzz is that till the deal is not inked it isn't over.

I doubt there will be a change in the adopted posture though.
They would be utterly foolish to pull out until the contract is actually inked- this is simply corporate posturing.

Just like Switzerland had chosen the Gripen because of cost.
But during the tests,the Rafale achieved all the minimum criterias and had from the pilots,the best impessions.

tFvVxrk.jpg

But during the tests,the Rafale achieved all the minimum criterias and had from the pilots,the best impessions.

tFvVxrk.jpg
Ah yes, the Swiss AF's evaluations- one of the few open source documents that reveals the impressions/findings of comparative evaluations between some of the leading fighter jets looking for exports today:

swiss_airforce_evaluation.jpg

Swiss_eval_NWA1.png

Swiss_eval_AP1.png

Swiss_eval_executive_report.png

^ (Rafale now has an AESA radar in service)

The Rafale absolutely obliterated the competiton and has only been improved upon since the time of this evaluation.

tFvVxrk.jpg

In case of India, Cost is a red herring. India is after the technology and local manufacturing.

Frankly, India has many options when it comes to cost.

India has shown it's serious intent to pursue the deal by cancelling the original RFP to allow French choose it's Indian partner and increased the direct order from 18 to 36 to pay higher price for the deal. This increase has nothing to do with increasing numerical strength of IAF but rather to increase the incentives for Dassault to submit a better and acceptable offer for the final deal. The ball is clearly now in French/Dassault court to come back & submit a reasonable proposal for the final deal.

In case of India, Cost is a red herring. India is after the technology and local manufacturing.

Frankly, India has many options when it comes to cost.

India has shown it's serious intent to pursue the deal by cancelling the original RFP to allow French choose it's Indian partner and increased the direct order from 18 to 36 to pay higher price for the deal. This increase has nothing to do with increasing numerical strength of IAF but rather to increase the incentives for Dassault to submit a better and acceptable offer for the final deal. The ball is clearly now in French/Dassault court to come back & submit a reasonable proposal for the final deal.
If the Dassualt side do not present an attractive counter-offer at this point I will be highly surprised, the PMO/MEA has already stated an intent to deepen ties with France to a strategic level so the French side should appreicate this and look to this deal as a means to engage India in a more aggressive manner. It is abudently clear that if the Rafale deal is signed there will be a LOT more "goodies" going to them- more SSKs, nuclear power plants, tie ups for domestic aviation projects etc etc not to mention the inherent benefits that come with stronger ties with one of the world's largest untapped markets.

The French govt would be extremely foolish to let this deal/oppurtunity slip through their fingers @FrenchPilot

Gripen E/F(NG) isn't Gripen C/D and South African Air Force didn't have issues with Gripen A/B.

If IAF doesn't want cutting edge radar that Gripen E/F(NG) is going to have...

Gripen E/F(NG) isn't Gripen C/D and South African Air Force didn't have issues with Gripen A/B.

If IAF doesn't want cutting edge radar that Gripen E/F(NG) is going to have...
The Rafale has its own AESA radar

Where did I mention or let alone compare Rafale with Gripen?
It seemed like you were saying the IAF would be stupid not to go for the Gripen but I didn't quite understand you perhaps and if that is the case forgive me my friend.

It seemed like you were saying the IAF would be stupid not to go for the Gripen but I didn't quite understand you perhaps and if that is the case forgive me my friend.

AESA radar for Gripen E/F is 5 years ahead of competition, though E/F is years away so its going to be used for ground radars.

:D

tFvVxrk.jpg
That is a comparision of Gripen C/D so it is totally irrelevant.
The Gripen E/F addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the previous versions.
The main reason that Gripen E/F was not considered by India was that it was not available
for immediate delivery.
It is likely to be in production for several years before India actually orders something :D.

Tejas MK-1 is not at all comparable to Gripen E, so cost differences are irrelevant.

The new Gripen AESA radar should be superior to the one of the Rafale,
simply by the fact it is developed later than the Rafale AESA radar.
Its wide angle of detection gives interesting new capabilities in combat.

"One of the major characteristics of Raven, already present in Vixen 1000ES, is a rotating platform that allows the radar antenna to cover a scanning angle of +/- 105°. This enables the Gripen NG to move away form the target, rapidly making a curve after launching the missile, while still keeping the target in sight; with this, a terminal active phase short duration missile (i.e., after finding the target with its internal systems) can undergo trajectory corrections sent by the Gripen NG."

Other radars support maybe 60°, so they have to fly towards the incoming missile.

As for handling temperatures, obviously Gripen can handle cold temperatures,
and South Africa is about as hot as any Asian country. So is Brazil.

Stuff like this is designed according to mil specs which covers much warmer temperatures.
Still, I remember an interview with a Luftwaffe pilot which said that when it is cold,
they need to fly Phantoms, and not Eurofighter.

Obviously SAAB stirs the Hornet's nest (without Hornets) by such a bid,but that is their job. Does not cost much to make such an offer compared to the possible returns.

If there is anyone that should be desperate, its the IAF...

Last edited:
The new Gripen AESA radar should be superior to the one of the Rafale,
simply by the fact it is developed later than the Rafale AESA radar.
Its wide angle of detection gives interesting new capabilities in combat.

I love that logic man. :partay:
-
Anyway,i'm not a profesional,i don't know which one is better,more effective etc,i would need help from more professional members than myself. @Abingdonboy @Taygibay

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom