What's new

IAF modernisation plan: Saab offers Gripen fighter jets under 'Make in India' with full control

The Huskar

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Swedish defence major Saab has offered to manufacture its fifth generation Gripen fighter aircraft here with technology transfer to India, in a renewed bid for a pie in the multi-billion dollar worth IAF modernisation plan.

Saab, which had lost out in the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft tender in 2011 which was won by French firm Dassault Aviation, anticipates that the Indian Air Force (IAF) will need more the 36 Rafale fighter jets that India is buying from France to beef up its depleting fleet.

Saab is not only offering to set up a base here but also help in the development of aerospace capability for the next 100 years and partner in developing the next version of indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), being developed and designed by Aeronautical Development Agency.

Ulf Nilsson, head of Saab's aeronautics division, told PTI that the company is already doing its homework and identifying partners for collaboration.

Nilsson said the offer of technology transfer would be real as they are offering India 'full system control' and 'full software control'.

Saab (India) chief Jan Widerstrom said the company is also ready to stick by New Delhi's negative list, as was made clear by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in an interview to PTI last month, when it comes to exporting fighter aircraft from India to other countries.

"We have almost an identical system back in Sweden when it comes to defence exports. It is decided by the government and we too can't export to specific countries which is almost the same as that of India," Widerstrom said.

Saab CEO Hakan Buskhe said the company will offer any help to the indigenous light combat aircraft project.

The Indian Air Force had in October said it would need at least six additional squadrons comprising 108 Rafale fighter jets or similar jets to shore up its capabilities.

With the government cancelling the multi-billion tender for 126 MMRCA, there is renewed hope in the aviation industry that India may go in for fresh bids to fill up the gaps.

Besides Saab, US' Lockheed Martin and the France's Dassault Aviation have offered their jets in line with the government's push for 'Make in India'.

IAF modernisation plan: Saab offers Gripen fighter jets under 'Make in India' with full control - The Economic Times

Gripen is 5th gen?

We should just keep away from Gripen untill it produces the much touted Gripen NG which it promised to deliver to Brazil by 2018, but now its plagued by delays.

Moreover this aircraft will only eat up the orders for Tejas orders.

NEW DELHI: Swedish defence major Saab has offered to manufacture its fifth generation Gripen fighter aircraft here with technology transfer to India, in a renewed bid for a pie in the multi-billion dollar worth IAF modernisation plan.

Saab is not only offering to set up a base here but also help in the development of aerospace capability for the next 100 years and partner in developing the next version of indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), being developed and designed by Aeronautical Development Agency.

Nilsson said the offer of technology transfer would be real as they are offering India 'full system control' and 'full software control'.

I like what i read here.
  • 5th Gen
  • 100 years
  • set up "a" base
  • full system control
  • full software control

Light category is more or less settled but i like the soundbytes

8b797083-8309-45ca-bcfa-e024a3f6c222.jpg

And stoner dog returns in the form of happy dogs in fields of cannabis

I like what i read here.
  • 5th Gen
  • 100 years
  • set up "a" base
  • full system control
  • full software control

Light category is more or less settled but i like the soundbytes

8b797083-8309-45ca-bcfa-e024a3f6c222.jpg

And stoner dog returns in the form of happy dogs in fields of cannabis
No pics of weed please.Don't wanna fall off the sabbatical again.

How Desperate these Blokes are...

Brits were also sledging by saying, we gave you "AID" How Dare you look at Frenches...

Same Brits in early 80s said "Oh My Lord you (Indians) can NOT fly Tornado, its a Mighty complex aircraft, If I May Say".

Same SAAB refused Draken !!

I am Loving it!!

Last edited:
YAWN.

Yet ANOTHER competitor who was NOT found to meet the orginal IAF technical criteiria now offering the world to India after having LOST-where were these "sweetners" the first time around?

Do these clowns think Indians are idiots? The Rafale is almost certain to be procured but the IAF would get into the highly cost-prohibitve buisness of inducting yet ANOTHER fighter type to serve in its inventory?Oh and on top of this the GoI would be ordering a fighter that effectively kills of the need for the domestic light fighter that they have already commited to >100 orders for. Please serve your BS somewhere else, dangling the "Make in India" carrot isn't going to blindsight anyone.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s

Last edited:
in a renewed bid for a pie in the multi-billion dollar worth IAF modernisation plan.

which pie swedes are looking for in this deal when even 36 rafales are not even finalized :lol:, IAF tantrums in LCA and govt approach in MRCA has made new fighter jets acquisitions a big joke

We hope that the deal will be signed during India's republic day where Hollande will be the chief guest.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @sarjenprabhu @The Huskar @Koovie @Nilgiri @Alphacharlie

well bro at last this deal now looks set to be signed but its very embarrassing on the part of past n present indian govts that after 2012 feb it will be 5 yrs when deal will be signed that too for only 36 fighters. in 5 years they can not clinch the deal as numbers of fighter n pricing along with offset clause were the main factors to be decided

YAWN.

Yet ANOTHER competitor who was NOT found to meet the orginal IAF technical criteiria now offering the world to India after having LOST-where were these "sweetners" the first time around?

Do these clowns think Indians are idiots? The Rafale is almost certain to be procured but the IAF would get into the highly cost-prohibitve buisness of inducting yet ANOTHER fighter type to serve in its inventory?Oh and on top of this the GoI would be ordering a fighter that effectively kills of the need for the domestic light fighter that they have already commited to >100 orders for. Please serve your BS somewhere else, dangling the "Make in India" carrot isn't going to blindsight anyone.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s

Well you should hear the full "truth" of the Gospel that some folks are unleashing under MII

Boeing says
+ We can have F18s under MII in India itself
+ Fact: Pls order 200 F18s for doing that... (with that money let me develop a new gen fighter for USAF/USN)

GE says
+ We will make Ge engines (404/414 uprated) in India itself
+ Fact: GE engine assembled in Chikan Plant India (TOT/Hot engine tech etc pending approval from US Senate)

Saab says
+ We will offer Gripen under MII
+ We will help in LCA program
+ Fact 1: Gripen uses GE derived engines so Engine part they cant help
+ Fact 2: Gripen is a direct competitor to our own LCA project..
+ Fact 3: LCA will cost 1/3rd price of Gripen and 100 odd orders to Gripen/Gripen NG means a bullet shot in the heart of LCA program (the end game over for LCA)

We are waiting for Eurojets to add their comments too... If they wish to add of course...

Back
Top Bottom