What's new

IAF Garud Commando Force

Thats quite enough off topic BS from all of you. Both sides here have a lot of pride and arrogance. Any one of you guys makes an irrelevant little post again, then its banning time.

Yeah sure these Indian commandos look really nice and all that. But now lets get down to realities. Are they as good as our Indian friends say they are? Why? How? How much? If you can talk about that without letting your feelings come in the way then go ahead.

If anyone even MENTIONS the letters SSG here then thats an infraction for you. I expected better from all of you, especially the senior members.

1st, thanks for the correction; I meant elbow and knee pads

2nd, Do you really know why the pads are worn by the US Forces?? I don't think so! These pads serve as cushion when the soldiers have to fall on the ground in case of surprise fire WHILE CARRYING A 300LBS RUCKSACK ON THEIR BACK!!
These pads are also worn by the SWAT forces in America which do not carry the excess kilos....they do protect the elbows and knees during rolls...so it's not just about how many kilos they pack in their knapsacks....Garud is not a force that would ever have to do the territorial army's job...it's more of a tactical force.
The US marines had complained of broken elbows and severely bruised knees in HARSH & ROCKY GROUND SUCH AS AFGHANISTAN! Since I do not see either a rucksack on these INFANTS nor do I see hard ground, so YES! They essentially look line SISSY WANNABEES in that ISHTYLE MARO/ SHOW SHAA! attire. :sniper:
seriously what was the need to type in Caps...usage of words like 'infants' and 'sissy wannabes' to describe our forces gets you all the attention you seek.
Real commandos are AVERSE to extra gear such as these sissy pads that essentially retard a commandos actions then to help him out!
These pads are not that heavy at all...you are trying to take digs without a sound reason.
These pads are made of neoprene/rubber/foam...wanna shop for them?
here's the link read in the description what they are made of..
Elbow Pads & Knee Pads - Army Navy Store, Military Shop

no need to get pi$$ed mate...calling them retard and $hit is not cool.
3rd, Seriously I really think that they are wearing the MJ gloves as a tribute to the legend otherwise, you and these INFANTS have not yet seen tactical gloves worn by spec ops personnel. And of these INFANTS are so worried that the AK-47 will slip out of their hands while firing in rain, then shame on them and their training. A Commando does not need such SISSY fashion accessories to do his job! All he needs are his bare hands! Kapish Kimosabe?
dude...the garud uses S.O.L.A.G or the special operations light assault gloves...they benefit the dexterity for the usage of different weapon systems.
Kapish Kimosabe...??wtf does that mean?

So it seems that your GARUD BABIES still have much to learn & a very long way to go before and IF becoming actual Guerrillas and not Sexy Fashionistas !!
why the hell would they want to be "actual guerillas"?

These pads are also worn by the SWAT forces in America which do not carry the excess kilos....they do protect the elbows and knees during rolls...so it's not just about how many kilos they pack in their knapsacks....Garud is not a force that would ever have to do the territorial army's job...it's more of a tactical force.

OK, so GARUD does SWAT jobs! SWAT is an urban mainly paramilitary force designed to deal with low intensity threats in confined spaces.

seriously what was the need to type in Caps...usage of words like 'infants' and 'sissy wannabes' to describe our forces gets you all the attention you seek.

The point being here?

These pads are not that heavy at all...you are trying to take digs without a sound reason.
These pads are made of neoprene/rubber/foam...wanna shop for them?
here's the link read in the description what they are made of..
Elbow Pads & Knee Pads - Army Navy Store, Military Shop

OK if GARUD is SWAT level unit; then they can have their pads to wear. Its understandable

no need to get pi$$ed mate...calling them retard and $hit is not cool.

Who called who a retard or $****?

dude...the garud uses S.O.L.A.G or the special operations light assault gloves...they benefit the dexterity for the usage of different weapon systems.
Kapish Kimosabe...??wtf does that mean?

Kimosabe! Show me a pair of tactical gloves on any website that looks like the pair of MJ-rejects your GARUD-vala's are wearing! If that is a tactical glove then MJ must've been a kick-butt soldier! My sympathies for your limited knowledge of the English language. Go find yourself a dictionary and learn

why the hell would they want to be "actual guerillas"?

I agree! with that kinda attire they are better just showing off instead!

Ok boys...please get back to the topic.

A new force has to show some polished gear, i mean they have had no opportunity to do anything else...at least they should look sharp...:)

Just an observation but i do believe that volunteers from other branches are not a bad idea...any reason why this force cannot have volunteers from sister branches?

No other primary firearm except INSAS?
That should be the Excalibur version...or are they using the standard issue one?
I think they should have AK-47 as well...nothing as rugged as an AK-47 especially in cold climate...INSAS had some problem in cold climate...i know everything is supposed to be fixed but maybe diversity is not a bad idea...to be safe...

So any skill which is unique to this branch?
I think they will be used as forward observers and to paint the targets with lasers etc. however what else makes their training and role unique?
Will they take over enemy airfields and will they prepare landing Zones in hostile environment?
Are they going to be the ATC (air traffic controller) in such hot zones?

People are getting worked up for no reason over here.

Teams such as Garud have a specialized role for CSAR and securing airfields etc. Many Air Forces are investing in such capability however the efficacy has to be proven in conflicts where both sides field considerable forces instead of things being very one-sided as in Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason I say that is because if an IAF pilot goes down inside of Pakistan, it will be a very challenging mission for an entire IAF CSAR team to get inside and retrieve him. The very same challenge applies to Special Service Wing of the Pakistan Air Force.

Equipment wise all teams are about the same. They all buy the equipment from commercial and defence contractors that sell to any or all.

Elbow/knee pads are something that are a bit of a luxury and the trend started with US troops in Afghanistan. However the fact is that life goes on without them. At least in Pakistan, if they are available and the operator likes to use them, he will, otherwise its back to the basics and you go without them.

One place where the headgear is really important is for Naval Special operations units involved in VBSS operations.

Most of the gear being used is essentially a rip-off from the skating and bicycle industry.

I do not think the reason for the original poster was to suggest that only India has this capability. Pakistani members should not get worked up by these threads. Its good to know what sort of capabilities the Indians are investing in. Have confidence in our abilities. Pakistan is certainly not behind anyone in the Special Operations work. ;)

Secondly, I do want to state that the picture that you posted is not one of SSW "getting trained" in the US. This was a tactical air lift competition (Rodeo 07) which involves Air force special operations teams who secure the air field for landing by their respective tactical transports.

The folks who we had sent were already trained Special Forces operators. Point is that this was not a training course, rather a competition. ;)

I do not think the reason for the original poster was to suggest that only India has this capability. Pakistani members should not get worked up by these threads. Its good to know what sort of capabilities the Indians are investing in. Have confidence in our abilities. Pakistan is certainly not behind anyone in the Special Operations work. ;)

Secondly, I do want to state that the picture that you posted is not one of SSW "getting trained" in the US. This was a tactical air lift competition (Rodeo 07) which involves Air force special operations teams who secure the air field for landing by their respective tactical transports.

The folks who we had sent were already trained Special Forces operators. Point is that this was not a training course, rather a competition. ;)

This is exactly what forum members like to hear from the mod.

Responsibilities

Garuds are not limited to being a base protection force to protect airfields and key assets. The security of IAF installations like radars, airfields and other establishments in border areas are performed by the Air Force Police and the Defence Security Corps (DSC). Most of its role and task is like Ground combater units of PAF which were created in early 60s. Although after advance training some of its members can operate like special force, created on the lines of the Army Para Commandos and Marine commandos to undertake missions deep inside enemy lines. Their role is diverse and largely specific to the air force.

The force has been created on the lines of the USAF special Tactics Teams, and have similar responsibilities. They are also responsible for the security of vital IAF installations like radars and airfields in border areas.
Wartime duties

During hostilities, Garuds undertake combat search and rescue, rescue of downed airmen and other forces from behind enemy lines, suppression of enemy air defence (SEAD), radar busting, combat control, missile and munitions guidance ("lasing" of targets) and other missions in support of air operations.

Apart from protecting air bases from sabotage and attacks by commando raids, they are also tasked to seal off weapons systems, fighter hangars and other major systems during intrusions and conflicts.

Peacetime duties

During peace time, apart from protecting the air bases and other vital infrastructure from terrorist attacks, Garud roles include counter terrorism, anti hijacking, Hostage rescue, aid during natural calamities and military tasks in the interest of the nation.

In case of any terrorist attack, like the failed attempt on Awantipur AFS in October 2001, the Garuds will act as an emergency response team and will be on the scene to tackle the threat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garud_Commando_Force

People are getting worked up for no reason over here.

Teams such as Garud have a specialized role for CSAR and securing airfields etc. Many Air Forces are investing in such capability however the efficacy has to be proven in conflicts where both sides field considerable forces instead of things being very one-sided as in Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason I say that is because if an IAF pilot goes down inside of Pakistan, it will be a very challenging mission for an entire IAF CSAR team to get inside and retrieve him. The very same challenge applies to Special Service Wing of the Pakistan Air Force
Blain, from the description posted by the Indian members, I didn't think the Garud's roles were similar to the SSW (sorry Kasrkin). I thought (maybe wrongly so) that the SSW was a full-on commando unit with a focus on CSAR but also on other Special Operations as well, whereas the Garud seem to be more like land-based guard units (hence the name). I don't think we could rightly call the Garuds a Special Operations Force, whereas the SSW would fit the definition almost perfectly. The Garuds would better fit under the "specialized infantry" category (if any such thing exists).

Edit
Pardon the sources, but here's what Wiki has to say on the subject:
Special Service Wing
It is an elite special operations force based upon the US Air Force's 1st Special Operations Wing and the US Army's 75th Ranger units... It is different from Indian air force special force guards mainly in role and task as SSW is more of offensive in nature while guards are mainly performing duties as Ground Combatier units are performing duties in PAF i.e protecting Air fields, Radars etc.
Seems quite accurate to me.
1st Special Operations Wing
mission focus is unconventional warfare: counter-terrorism, combat search and rescue, personnel recovery, psychological operations, aviation assistance to developing nations, "deep battlefield" resupply, interdiction and close air support.
75th Ranger Regiment
Rapidly-deployable light infantry forces with specialized skills that enable them to perform a variety of special operations missions – airborne, air assault, and direct action operations, raids, infiltration and exfiltration by air, land or sea in addition to airfield seizure, recovery of personnel and special equipment, and support of general purpose forces (GPF), among other uses.
Scratch the "light infantry" part.

The folks who we had sent were already trained Special Forces operators. Point is that this was not a training course, rather a competition.
But I am sure they referred to it as a training course. Can't really call it a "competition" for PR purposes. Red Flag USA is also called a training exercise, but that doesn't stop anybody from getting competitive. Can you shed some light on who else was there and how we performed relative to the others? Also, what exactly do you mean by Tactical Transport (Airborne, I assume)?

All we know about the Garud is that they have some kick-*** (or kick-butt) gear, so it's only natural that that's all we've discussed here. In terms of capability, it doesn't seem, to me at least, that anyone in Pakistan will lose any sleep over them. So why not enjoy the pictures?

Last edited:
Blain, from the description posted by the Indian members, I didn't think the Garud's roles were similar to the SSW (sorry Kasrkin). I thought (maybe wrongly so) that the SSW was a full-on commando unit with a focus on CSAR but also on other Special Operations as well, whereas the Garud seem to be more like land-based guard units (hence the name). I don't think we could rightly call the Garuds a Special Operations Force, whereas the SSW would fit the definition almost perfectly. The Garuds would better fit under the "specialized infantry" category (if any such thing exists).

The Garud Commando Force is the Special Forces unit of the Indian Air Force. It was formed in September 2004 and has a strength of approximately 1500 personnel. The unit derives its name from Garuda, a divine bird-like creature of Hindu Mythology, but more commonly the word for eagle in Sanskrit.

Garud Commando Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit
Pardon the sources, but here's what Wiki has to say on the subject:
Special Service Wing

Seems quite accurate to me.
1st Special Operations Wing

75th Ranger Regiment

Scratch the "light infantry" part.

PAFace,

I think as to the actual role of Garuds, we would have to dig it up or ask some of the Indians to clarify. What I have stated is based on the general roles for any Air force special operations capability. I think in general the two would perform similar tasks with a little give and take.

But I am sure they referred to it as a training course. Can't really call it a "competition" for PR purposes. Red Flag USA is also called a training exercise, but that doesn't stop anybody from getting competitive. Can you shed some light on who else was there and how we performed relative to the others? Also, what exactly do you mean by Tactical Transport (Airborne, I assume)?

See this:

"Air Mobility Rodeo; or just plain Rodeo, is sponsored by Air Mobility Command and is a Multi-national Competition designed to allow the World's Best of the Best to fly-off in competitions to determine who is the absolute, most professional at Air Mobility for a living! This years Competiton saw a Multi-cultural fly-off with 9 different Countries flying C-130's. Teams included Belgium, Brazil, Germany (with C-160D), The Netherlands, Pakistan, S Korea,Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. The USMC joined in with no less than 3 C-130 Teams."

By tactical transport, I was referring to the aircraft used. USAF has tactical and strategic airlift capability. The multinational aspect of this competition is essentially one that involves Tactical airlift with C-130s.

All we know about the Garud is that they have some kick-*** (or kick-butt) gear, so it's only natural that that's all we've discussed here. In terms of capability, it doesn't seem, to me at least, that anyone in Pakistan will lose any sleep over them. So why not enjoy the pictures?

Agreed. Plus you have to keep in mind that the smaller the force, the easier and quicker it is to equip it with good gear and toys. The SSW have a pretty good kit as well (as do all Pakistani SF elements including SSG/A and SSG/N). Indians are no exception.

GARUD COMMANDO IAF

Man these Guys (Garuds) look real HardA** es :guns:!!! but after reading other replies it looks like our neighbours doesnt like our Garud Commandos:no: ....because they do got some elite units but not as well equipped as ours:azn: Ok i think i smell something burning now;)

Back
Top Bottom