What's new

IAF Garud Commando Force

Miro,
Two questions for you...
1. Why are the Gardu chaps marching soviet/ communits style? i.e holding the rifle in front as against the regulated manner of holding it at the side.
2. Why is the Gardu officer, wearing a non-regulation pistol holster?

I must say that it looks rather shoddy.

Third why is the holster on the left side. Is it a coincidence that all three of them are left handed or may be I am wrong.

That is the failed carbine version. The trigger in the fore guard pistol grip is to enable firing if the weapon is held by the left hand (in the case of a right handed person), during CQB situations.

Sword in CQB the holster is normally on the right side and most of time on the right outer thigh, Well You would know better.

Not as elite as SSW or even Rangers.

It is different from Indian air force special force guards mainly in role and task as SSW is more of offensive in nature while guards are mainly performing duties as Ground Combatier units are performing duties in PAF i.e protecting Air fields, Radars etc.

cool pics Join. A few more from Aero India 2009

71c1a83d1895eddda7d0fccb3503be1f.jpg

c89350632bc94a6df643bbf8ea65ab88.jpg

Frankly IAF Garuds (or Air Guards as the case may be) have more ''ISHTYLE'' in their military outlook & garbs then practicality. Being a young force, it still has a long way to go to get trained in real wartime tactics and get trial-by-fire training into spec ops. Looking good in spec ops is not very essential compared to fighting good. So do let me know when your IAF Garuds get some!! Then we'll talk of them being whatever you claim them to be.

P.S - The uniform is uncouth! Arms folded for some. colored Michael Jackson gloves, primitive AK-47's, roving around in tutti-phutti non-military Maruti jeeps (except for the ATV). The uniform looks suited for a cold-weather area and not a humid/ hot weather town. And for God Sakes!! Knee & Shoulder Pads???? on a tarmac?? Afraid of getting your knees bruised??? Jeeez!

Last edited:
EXERCISE RED FLAG: IAF’S Special Force 'GARUDS' – Exhibit mission capability in US

The IAF's special force commandos 'The Garuds' successfully demonstrated their mission capability during the Exercise Red Flag, when they neutralized an enemy Radar site capturing an Air Field and carrying out combat search and rescue operations, in Nevada desert USA.

The enemy airfield (Red Forces) was simulated at about 60 Kms from the border and was considered strategically important for the friendly forces. The intelligence report made available identified the location of airfield in desert terrain suggesting medium threat environment and adequate defensive measures. The Garuds were assigned the task of neutralizing the enemy radar site and capture the airfield in a stipulated time frame of two hours.

After acquiring all the necessary intelligence inputs, including those from satellite and Unmanned Ariel Vehicle (UAV), the Garud Force mission commander Flt LT Jagvinder Singh carried out a detailed analysis of terrain and topography, worked out an operational plan. The plan included heliborne insertion and exfilteration of the force. The Garud during this exercise mission used assault riles as primary weapons, pistols and combat knives as secondary weapons, LMGs, Navigation and communication equipment and All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs).

It may be recalled that the IAF formed its first Garud Flight in year 2005 with 60 commandos initially and the force has been progressively growing since then. The need for forming such a force was felt after the Kargil Operations and terrorist attacks on IAF airfields in insurgency affected areas. The Garuds are trained to protect airfields from enemy and terrorist attacks, carry out hostage rescue operations, ‘Radar Busting' etc. The Garuds also carry out the combat search and rescue missions (CSAR) for securing back Pilots from hostile territory.

"Capt Burry of USAF CSAR said "The Garuds have well executed all the assigned missions overcoming all the exercise limitations. The Garuds are a highly trained, motivated and mission oriented force. They never loose their focus and can achieve the near impossible task given to them"

PIB Press Release

GARUDS in action during RED FLAG:

8dd0044ef5652fdc8379d25c595aa19a.jpg

7418ac410a2943f492958d2d9eecd00a.jpg

89fe5ad52d82bf9f0a108cd1186ade61._.jpg

Last edited:
Nah, I reckon they were there for show along with the rest of the stuff in the air show. A force in its infancy but not to be underestimated perhaps?

Frankly IAF Garuds (or Air Guards as the case may be) have more ''ISHTYLE'' in their military outlook & garbs then practicality. Being a young force, it still has a long way to go to get trained in real wartime tactics and get trial-by-fire training into spec ops. Looking good in spec ops is not very essential compared to fighting good. So do let me know when your IAF Garuds get some!! Then we'll talk of them being whatever you claim them to be.

P.S - The uniform is uncouth! Arms folded for some. colored Michael Jackson gloves, primitive AK-47's, roving around in tutti-phutti non-military Maruti jeeps (except for the ATV). The uniform looks suited for a cold-weather area and not a humid/ hot weather town. And for God Sakes!! Knee & Shoulder Pads???? on a tarmac?? Afraid of getting your knees bruised??? Jeeez!

There are no shoulder pads in figure, its elbow pads. And you think they are wearing pads to prevent from bruising? I dont see them skating or cycling. They are for

>protecting joints when crawling or shooting from the prone position

>Minimizing loss of blood flow to the Elbow/knees, preventing elbow/leg fatigue, stiffness and pain.

You cannot run or fire with joints hurt whereas other parts of your body can take some damage without significantly impacting your performance like thighs, butt( :woot: ), upper arm.

Second is Micheal Jackson's gloves, i dont think they are wearing them in tribute to MJ !!

Gloves are to give extra grip to gun and they dry quickly in case your hands get drenched. I am not sure if they are wearing Kevlar gloves, otherwise they provide protection to wrist.

Rest is all pointless rant.

I cannot blame you though for being ignorant on tactical gear after all you have been viewing pakistani military all this time, primitive i must say.:pakistan:

Last edited:
There are no shoulder pads in figure, its elbow pads. And you think they are wearing pads to prevent from bruising? I dont see them skating or cycling. They are for

>protecting joints when crawling or shooting from the prone position

>Minimizing loss of blood flow to the Elbow/knees, preventing elbow/leg fatigue, stiffness and pain.

You cannot run or fire with joints hurt whereas other parts of your body can take some damage without significantly impacting your performance like thighs, butt( :woot: ), upper arm.

Second is Micheal Jackson's gloves, i dont think they are wearing them in tribute to MJ !!

Gloves are to give extra grip to gun and they dry quickly in case your hands get drenched. I am not sure if they are wearing Kevlar gloves, otherwise they provide protection to wrist.

Rest is all pointless rant.

I cannot blame you though for being ignorant on tactical gear after all you have been viewing pakistani military all this time, primitive i must say.:pakistan:

1st, thanks for the correction; I meant elbow and knee pads

2nd, Do you really know why the pads are worn by the US Forces?? I don't think so! These pads serve as cushion when the soldiers have to fall on the ground in case of surprise fire WHILE CARRYING A 300LBS RUCKSACK ON THEIR BACK!! The US marines had complained of broken elbows and severely bruised knees in HARSH & ROCKY GROUND SUCH AS AFGHANISTAN! Since I do not see either a rucksack on these INFANTS nor do I see hard ground, so YES! They essentially look line SISSY WANNABEES in that ISHTYLE MARO/ SHOW SHAA! attire. :sniper:
Real commandos are AVERSE to extra gear such as these sissy pads that essentially retard a commandos actions then to help him out!

3rd, Seriously I really think that they are wearing the MJ gloves as a tribute to the legend otherwise, you and these INFANTS have not yet seen tactical gloves worn by spec ops personnel. And of these INFANTS are so worried that the AK-47 will slip out of their hands while firing in rain, then shame on them and their training. A Commando does not need such SISSY fashion accessories to do his job! All he needs are his bare hands! Kapish Kimosabe?

So it seems that your GARUD BABIES still have much to learn & a very long way to go before and IF becoming actual Guerrillas and not Sexy Fashionistas !!

Do a little R&D before you open your YAP the next time, Got it boy! :devil:

Last edited:
1st, thanks for the correction; I meant elbow and knee pads

your welcome

2nd, Do you really know why the pads are worn by the US Forces?? I don't think so! These pads serve as cushion when the soldiers have to fall on the ground in case of surprise fire WHILE CARRYING A 300LBS RUCKSACK ON THEIR BACK!! The US marines had complained of broken elbows and severely bruised knees in HARSH & ROCKY GROUND SUCH AS AFGHANISTAN! Since I do not see either a rucksack on these INFANTS nor do I see hard ground, so YES! They essentially look line SISSY WANNABEES in that ISHTYLE MARO attire. :sniper:

Your call, but a soldier who has been in firefight knows more than me and you right? SWAT teams and special forces around the world wear these pads (they dont carry heavy backpacks) and i gave you my reasons for it.

3rd, Seriously I really think that they are wearing the MJ gloves as a tribute to the legend otherwise, you and these INFANTS have not yet seen tactical gloves worn by spec ops personnel. And of these INFANTS are so worried that the AK-47 will slip out of their hands while firing, then shame on them and their training. A Commando does not need such SISSY fashion accessories to do his job! All he needs are his bare hands! Kapish?

You need to take this up with hundreds of companies that manufactures them and millions of soldiers/swat who use them worldwide. I have never hold a gun coz we dont have a gun friendly culture over here ( no pun intended :no:). So i am not the right person to ask.

So it seems that your GARUD BABIES still have to learn & go a very long way on how to be actual Guerrillas and not Sexy Fashionistas !!

Well you can send some of your NON STATE ACTORS and inquire about their preparedness.

Do a little R&D before you open your YAP the next time boy! :devil:

Getting personal are we?:wave:

The entire world saw your LEA's making a bloody fool of themselves in the Mumbai Mowdown et la trying to control Kids with AK-47's! So enough said about your forces professionalism!

And secondly, Don't try to get personal in the 1st place if you cannot withstand a response!

What's wrong on putting some fancy gadgets.. I don't know wat ideally should wear by a commando but there is nohing wrong on showing off.. Is it not true we all are getting fascinated by so many new electornic gadgets and possess if our pocket allows, don't you use High End mobile phones to just show off..while you nokia 1100 can also serve the purpose of mobile phone..

Right! Thanks for clarifying that because I thought they were local beauty queens!

The ''silly rouges'' are kicking high tech US butt in Afghanistan (admitted by their own Generals) and you think your pretty boys can fair better? Damn man! there is always my limit to argue with an IDIOT!!

Well my dear, India is the best in gurilla warfare... oh, Take this video

Given the training to stay fit and Alive no mater in which dense forest they are put into...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom