What's new

How the Profile Of Turkish LPD Is Going To Be?

it isn't that simple, Japan has Hyuga class, which is slightly larger than Juan Carlos but they don't even station ground units onboard. They use the platform strictly for ASW helicopters. Because they know what their requirements are and they are hardcore professionals.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but to make it possible you have to let go of some things and the navy wont do that. It's hard to explain "why" to a man whos sitting in a cafe in the corner but if you spent some time on ships you'll get it. Not every centimeter has to be filled with equipment. If you add an air-protection role to the ship it won't be able to do it's own job which is amphibious landing and logistical support.

I don't even wanna go in to the price of 15 F35Bs, which is almost half of the ship's cost. Mind that F35Bs are more costly than F35As not just during the procurement but also during maintenance and the whole life of the platform.

You're an average intelligence guy. You god damn well know that we have no interests in cape of good hope. Hell, it's not even as important to world's shipping as it was used to before opening of Suez canal. Showing our banner in blue seas is a good feeling for me too but your feet needs to touch the ground. The navy won't want a flight deck that's inoperable for helicopters and going to destroy an entire squadron in case it's sunk. They want a reliable platform that can support marines in Crimea, Cyprus, Greece, Crete, Syria, where our interests really lie.

And with all due respect, they should name it TCG Mustafa Kemal Atatürk... wtf is levent? pff

@Peter C
There's a good possibility that all of our AH1W Super Cobra aircraft will be transferred on board LHD. Because let's face it, they are much more useful in sea level then they are on mountains chasing insurgents.

You dont get it. About namesake, there'll be a battalion size fleet marine force. The first marines of our naval history were the Levents from Ottoman Navy-era.

I didn't say otherwise. In fact I was telling there wont be ski jump; I believe Navantias Twitter confirmed it very long ago. Too bad some Turkish posters can not see tweets now.
it was obvious even before SEDEF & Navantia was chosen.
People in our country thinks aircraft carriers are some extraordinary things.
If Turkey get full tech transfer, they can install ski jump easily, if it's needed.
There's nothing special about the Ski-jump it's just a ramp. The thing is, we won't need it.

I don't understand people's obsession with jets, we should focus on RAMs, ESSMs, torpedo countermeasures. To ensure that this ship doesn't become a billion dollar coffin for our marines.
You dont get it. About namesake, there'll be a battalion size fleet marine force. The first marines of our naval history were the Levents from Ottoman Navy-era.
Yea, I'm familiar with the subject. But just like why Spaniards gave the name Juan Carlos to their LHD, and why Americans gave Gerald R. Ford's name to their next generation aircraft carrier. It's some kind of naval tradition.

We should name ours Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, after the great man who founded our country.

Last edited:
I would be suprised if it had F 35's on it. So far I havn't seen enough evidence suggesting that it will carry F 35's. Besides why do we need it to carry airplanes? Are we going to help muslims in Myanmar?

I would be suprised if it had F 35's on it. So far I havn't seen enough evidence suggesting that it will carry F 35's. Besides why do we need it to carry airplanes? Are we going to help muslims in Myanmar?

You shouldn't think with today's conditions... This ship will be operational around 2020 and also it will serve our navy about 30 years ? Maybe more ? Let's call it 2050... This ship will serve our navy till 2050... So our navy decides it's requirements according to this period...

Even if you think with current conditions... If our ship has jets on it, we will be able to impact our enemy faraway from our lands... This is so important for our land's safety... This is a valuable capability...

Last edited:
Are you saying helicopters and land units will be outdated in 2050? :D @xxxKULxxx

sorry I got tired and bored of explaining, spanish navy's been using the Juan Carlos without any CWIS, any torpedo countermeasures and the discussion is stuck with this... I feel like nobody's reading my posts.

With forumers' logic we should station 1.5 billion dollars worth F35 squadron on a 500 million dollars worth ship. It's like walking with a "kick me" sign on your back in littoral waters.

utter idiocy

Are you saying helicopters and land units will be outdated in 2050? :D @xxxKULxxx

How did u undersatnd the thing i said like this... Additional to helicopter and land units there will be also jets... I'm talking about this... We will be able to use flight deck for jets or helicopters... Or both of them... Something like a few jets and a few helicopters... It's upto operation's needs...

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between a 5-10 million dollars worth helicopter and 100 million dollars worth 5. generation figher jet

And there is a huge effectiveness difference between a helicopter and a 5. generation fighter jet...

Back
Top Bottom