What's new

How the Profile Of Turkish LPD Is Going To Be?

ozi2000

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Defence Turkey

Navantia Moves Up a Gear with Turkish LPD Programme
Mr. José Manuel Revuelta, The Chairman of Navantia informed Defence Turkey Readers about technical specifications, Turkish companies’ participation, technology transfer issues, process after signing the contact and delivery schedule in LPD Project; their approach to TF 2000 and TF 100 programmes and Navantia’s ongoing programmes in both local and global markets.

Defence Turkey: Could you please enlighten us about your company’s production, investment, R&D and exports activities?
Navantia is a world reference shipyard, providing global solutions in more than 20 countries. The investment in Research and Development is a priority for Navantia. We use state-of-the-art technology and engineering for the construction of latest generation ships with integrated systems, optimizing quality, price and delivery time. And we can develop our own systems, and deliver products integrating complex systems, including ones made by other suppliers.

Defence Turkey: Could you please inform us about your ongoing programmes in both local and global markets?
Our experience of more than 300 years has situated Navantia in all 5 continents. We provide the most innovative products for the Spanish Navy and these products are, themselves, the best promotion all over the world.
Most recently, we have developed frigates for Spain, Norway and Australia, submarines for Spain and India, OPV’s for Spain and Venezuela and LPD’s for Spain and Australia. And we have just landed in Turkey, a country where our designs fit perfectly.

DSC_0208.JPG

Defence Turkey: With the last decision of the Turkish Defence Industry Executive Committee in 2013, it was decided to commence with contract negotiations with Sedef Shipyards and Navantia on the Landing Platform Dock (LPD) Programme. Within the coverage of this Programme, would you please provide us with information on the collaboration model between Navantia and Sedef Shipyards?
The LPD tender requested proposals from Turkish shipyards, therefore Sedef will be the main contractor for this program and Navantia will act as its technological partner. Navantia’s scope of supply for the LPD has three main groups of activities. The first one is engineering activities; we will provide Sedef with the design of the LPD and the Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) as well as the Purchase Technical Specifications for the procurement of all materials and equipment. The second group is the support activities; Navantia will provide technical assistance and support to Sedef during the procurement activities as well as the construction of the vessel until the final delivery. And last but not least, Navantia will deliver some equipment to Sedef: the diesel generators, the turbo generator and the Integrated Platform Management System.
The idea is to work with Sedef shoulder to shoulder throughout the complete duration of the program, we are partners for the LPD and our only joint objective is the complete success of the LPD program,

FPL2.JPG

Defence Turkey: Will the LPD platform presented as a solution between the Navantia and Sedef Shipyards partnership have identical features as the Juan Carlos I platform or will it put forward a more original, a more developed Turkish type model? What will be the ship’s features, would you please inform us on this subject?
The design included in our proposal is based on the Juan Carlos I but includes many changes in order to meet the requirements from SSM. The biggest difference is the Combat Management System (CMS), for the Turkish LPD, the CMS is a derivative of the Genesis supplied by the local consortium Havelsan-Aselsan. There are other changes, like the removal of the ski-jump, the accommodation capacity has been modified, the forward aircraft elevator has been substituted by a hatch, the deck crane has increased its capacity, and many others. Sedef and Navantia will work very hard to include as many Turkish equipment and materials on board of the LPD. The ship’s profile will be very similar except for the ski-jump and the topside.

L61_topkapi-Istanbul_02062011.jpg

The Turkish LPD main characteristics are as follows:
MAIN DIMENSIONS
Length overall:
224.50 m
Maximum Breadth: 32.00 m
Draft at full load end of life 7.08 m
Design draught: 6.80 m
Maximum displacement: 27430 t
Main Characteristics And Capacities
Full Electric Propulsion 1 GT +2 DDGG with 2 x POD @ 11 MW
Maximum sustained speed 21 knots
Range 9000 n.m. at 15 knots (economical speed)
Endurance with troops 50 days offshore (20 d. transit)
Accommodation capacity 1223 personnel
Dock Capacity (1165 m2): 4 x LCM 1E + 4 x Supercat, or 2 x LCAC 2 x LCVP Mk5 + 1 x commander boat in the flight deck
Hangar Capacity (990 m2) 12 x NH-90 or 8 x CH-47 Chinook
Light Cargo Garage (1880 m2) Light vehicles, containers and helicopters
Heavy Cargo Garage (1410 m2): Heavy vehicles, Containers
Fight Deck (4750 m2) 6 spots for NH-90, or4 spots for CH-47 or CH-53
Aft spot capable for V-22 and runway for VSTOL

Defence Turkey: Within the coverage of this Project, with which Turkish firms will you co-operate with? Specific to this project, what is your approach to the matter of maximum local participation rate and in particular on the question of technology transfer?
Obviously, Sedef as main contractor is our most important partner, but it is not the only one. Taking into account that the local construction of the LPD will be performed in Sedef shipyard together with the Havelsan-Aselsan CMS, it is guaranteed that most of the work-share will be performed by Turkish companies.
From our side, Navantia has committed with Sedef to support their purchasing activities in order to maximize the local content. We are also looking for some engineering subcontractors to outsource some of Navantia’s engineering activities locally, and for the Integrated Platform Management System, Navantia has signed an agreement with AYESAS for the local production of the HW, the SW modifications and the on board installation and setting to work of the system.
Our close cooperation with our Turkish partners will ensure a successful transfer of technology that will enhance their capabilities for future opportunities.

Defence Turkey: Has contract negotiations officially started with the SSM and the Naval Forces Command? How long a process do you foresee in order to reach the signature stage?
The negotiation process with SSM and the Naval Forces Command started on February 19th and it is expected to take around 4 to 6 months until all the final aspects have been discussed and agreed in order to sign the final contract. We are hoping to be able to have the contract effective before the end of 2014.

Defence Turkey: How will the process operate after the contract has been signed? Could you provide us with information on the project and the likely calendar for the delivery date?
Once the contract is signed there is some time to fulfil with some formalities for the contract to become effective, this could take 2 to 3 months, and once all the conditions are met the calendar clock will start. As per our proposal, the LPD ship is expected to be delivered provisionally to the Naval Forces Command after 67 months from effective date of contract. After the 12 months guarantee period, final delivery will take place.

DSCN5722%281%29.JPG

Defence Turkey: Given the possibility of a unique platform that may take place with the coverage of the LPD platform, do you look favourably on the subject of collaborating with Turkey in marketing and exporting to third countries without licence restrictions? May we know your views on the subject?
Navantia is very open to cooperation with the Turkish defence industry for future platforms; in fact we are already cooperating with our partners for local and export tenders. SSM strategy about naval construction in Turkey is very clear and if we want to play a part we will have to do it by the hand of our local partners.

Defence Turkey: In which overseas armed forces are the LHD and the LPD used excluding Turkey? Could you provide us with information on completed deliveries or on-going programmes?
There are quite a few navies that have LHD or LPD within their fleet, to name a few: USA, Russia, UK, France, The Netherlands, Italy and Spain, among others. At the same time, some other countries have included the LHD and LPD in their wish list, there are some tenders in the short term for this kinds of ships in India and South Africa, for example.
With respect to Navantia involvement, we have designed, built and delivered 2 LPD for the Spanish Navy, the “Galicia” (1998) and “Castilla” (2000), and one LHD, the “Juan Carlos I” (2010). At this point of time we are at the final stages of a coproduction program for two LHD for the Royal Australian Navy with deliveries on 2014 for “Canberra” and 2016 for “Adelaide”.

Defence Turkey: One of the programmes that take place on the defence agenda of Turkey is the TF-2000 Anti-Air Warfare Frigates with the target of commencing on the design phase of this project in the near future. We know that you are closely interested in this project. As Navantia will you provide a tempting proposal for this project?
Of course we will; the TF2000 program is one of our main objectives for the near future in Turkey. The requirements of the TF2000 are quite similar to the characteristics of our F100 frigate. Navantia has designed, built and delivered 5 units of the “Alvaro de Bazan” class for the Spanish Navy, as well as another 5 units of a derivative design for the Royal Norwegian Navy, the F310 or “Fridtjof Nansen” class. At this moment we are working on a transfer of technology program with the Royal Australian Navy for the design and local construction of 3 units of Anti-Air Warfare Destroyers based on the F100 frigate, the “Hobart” class.
We believe that Navantia has a great experience in this kind of programs and we are really looking forward to be able to participate in the TF2000 by the hand of the Turkish defence industry.

Defence Turkey: The TF-100 General Purpose Frigate is one of the programmes that will be on the agenda in the near future within the framework of Turkey’s requirements. Will you have a solution offer to make to Turkey within the coverage of this project?
Taking into account our experience in the anti-air warfare frigates, we have been working on some designs for some smaller platforms with balanced capabilities in all warfares, basically a multipurpose frigate with a limited displacement. Navantia has been preparing some proposals for Asian countries and we think we can provide a quite competitive solution for the TF100 program based on this design.

Defence Turkey: Lastly, do you have a message to give to the readers of Defence Turkey?
Navantia is not only committed with the technology of our products, but also with the relation with the client. The Turkish Navy needs to know that we are here to stay and cooperate with the local industry. The target is offer the best, but the best for you.

Defence Turkey

When does Turkey plans to induct LPD?

Turkey should focus mainly on air power and land forces right now..and lay down the blueprint for massive naval expansion..and once Turkey has sustained massive economic growth Inshallah..and economy has grown to atleast 1.7 trillion to 2 trillion dollars with political stability...then Turkey should start a massive naval expansion! Turkish navy should be the largest naval power in Mediterranean....But be-aware, this will put you at odds with the U.S.

U.S has no problem with land powers...but as soon as any naval power seem to be arising, U.S comes hard at it. Cuz it knows that leadership of the world lies in the seas.

Turkey should develop its naval manufacturing capabilities for now. Joint-ventures and other ToTs etc...

Yeap....wanted to storm the sh.it outta my brain after the YGS today. So I digged in to wiki for hours probably :dirol:

olcayto post: 5437596 said:
Did it go well brother?

It wasn't bad. But I believe if I studied a little more I would have done very well. Anyways it wasn't bad. No matter which point I'll get. I will keep studying until making it to Ankara or Boğaziçi Political Science. Thanks bro

Yeap....wanted to storm the sh.it outta my brain after the YGS today. So I digged in to wiki for hours probably :dirol:

Ohh.... i forget YGS was today... were there any more exams after YGS, they changed the system a lot. In my time there was only ÖSS.

It wasn't bad. But I believe if I studied a little more I would have done very well. Anyways it wasn't bad. No matter which point I'll get. I will keep studying until making it to Ankara or Boğaziçi Political Science. Thanks bro
Bro, how do you get into uni at turkey. I have no clue how it works over there...

Back
Top Bottom