What's new

Haryana adds more muscle to Indian Army, leaves Punjab behind

Bharat Muslim

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Now that Punjab is destroyed by drug-trafficking, Haryana fills the role of sword arm of India.

Ajay Sura | TNN | Jun 14, 2014, 01.32 PM IST

CHANDIGARH: Has Haryana replaced Punjab as the sword arm of the nation? The latest figures of the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun, show that the Jat-land has taken the lead in producing officers, leaving Punjab, once the nursery of the armed forced, far behind.

Of the total 636 gentlemen cadets (GC) who passed out of IMA on Saturday, 62 are from Haryana, second only to Uttar Pradesh.

Despite having just 2.09% of the country's population, Haryana has produced almost 10% officers in the current batch. Even the gold and silver medals have gone to two Haryanvis — Vishal Dahiya and Vikash Kalkal.

The state's growing clout in the Army is reflected in the fact that former army chief VK Singh and the army chief-designate Dalbir Singh Suhag, both belong to Haryana.

Punjab has finished a lowly sixth in the list of states sending officers to the Army this time with just 33 cadets.

In the December 2013 passing out parade, 70 of 617 cadets who passed out from IMA were from Haryana. Uttar Pradesh, which is eight times bigger than Haryana with 16.49% population of the country, has maintained first position with 121 cadets.

Former deputy commandant of NDA, Major General (retired) BS Grewal says Haryanavis Chief of Nepal Army, general Gaurav Shumsher Rana took the salute from the officers during their passing out parade at Dehradun, following which the cadets were commissioned in different corps of the army on the rank of lieutenant.

Vishnu Peethambaran, who hails from Ernakulam district, has won the coveted Sword of Honour presented to the best all-round cadet at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...leaves-Punjab-behind/articleshow/36541615.cms

Last edited:
Have army recruits from there overtaken those from Punjab?

I wonder what would have happened to us civilians deep inside India if Haryana wasn't there.

Its good for sikhs, tiny minorities like Sikhs should not be used as cannon fodders, they should join bureaucracy..

proof of martial race theory ? i think so :D

So do I understand it right that this article was written in 2014 and is talking about data from 2013?
Now that Punjab is destroyed by drug-trafficking, Haryana fills the role of sword arm of India.

Ajay Sura | TNN | Jun 14, 2014, 01.32 PM IST

CHANDIGARH: Has Haryana replaced Punjab as the sword arm of the nation? The latest figures of the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun, show that the Jat-land has taken the lead in producing officers, leaving Punjab, once the nursery of the armed forced, far behind.

Of the total 636 gentlemen cadets (GC) who passed out of IMA on Saturday, 62 are from Haryana, second only to Uttar Pradesh.

Despite having just 2.09% of the country's population, Haryana has produced almost 10% officers in the current batch. Even the gold and silver medals have gone to two Haryanvis — Vishal Dahiya and Vikash Kalkal.

The state's growing clout in the Army is reflected in the fact that former army chief VK Singh and the army chief-designate Dalbir Singh Suhag, both belong to Haryana.

Punjab has finished a lowly sixth in the list of states sending officers to the Army this time with just 33 cadets.

In the December 2013 passing out parade, 70 of 617 cadets who passed out from IMA were from Haryana. Uttar Pradesh, which is eight times bigger than Haryana with 16.49% population of the country, has maintained first position with 121 cadets.

Former deputy commandant of NDA, Major General (retired) BS Grewal says Haryanavis Chief of Nepal Army, general Gaurav Shumsher Rana took the salute from the officers during their passing out parade at Dehradun, following which the cadets were commissioned in different corps of the army on the rank of lieutenant.

Vishnu Peethambaran, who hails from Ernakulam district, has won the coveted Sword of Honour presented to the best all-round cadet at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...leaves-Punjab-behind/articleshow/36541615.cms

Haryana was part of Punjab till 1960's I believe. It is like if the Pothohar region of Pakistani Punjab becomes a province tomorrow, it will be only 5 percent of the current Pakistani population but looking at the historical trends will contribute nearly 25 percent of officers and jawans to the military.

It will be interesting to see what percentage of soldiers and officers West Bengal which makes 8% of the population contributes as compared to Haryana and Punjab, both making about 2.5% of the population each.

I guess the old martial race theory of the Raj time still exist across the border as well. Aur aap logon ne hamare Bengalis ko khawa makhwa behkaya, bad bad Indians.

Haryana was part of Punjab till 1960's I believe. It is like if the Pothohar region of Pakistani Punjab becomes a province tomorrow, it will be only 5 percent of the current Pakistani population but looking at the historical trends will contribute nearly 25 percent of officers and jawans to the military.

It will be interesting to see what percentage of soldiers and officers West Bengal which makes 8% of the population contributes as compared to Haryana and Punjab, both making about 2.5% of the population each.

I guess the old martial race theory of the Raj time still exist across the border as well. Aur aap logon ne hamare Bengalis ko khawa makhwa behkaya, bad bad Indians.
bengalis make sh*tty fighters but very good intellectuals(writer, poets, scientist, economist), we want right job for right person....

Way back in 2003-2004, a friend had said that Haryanvis join army in large numbers. I thought, "What rubbish! Punjabis lead in this."

Now I know how it happened.

@ashok321

@jatt

This is funny. The only group of Indians that can actually try to go toe to toe with Pakistanis is now being ostracized by Hindus. :lol:

What is this Harvyani bull shit?

Bring some of your wrestlers to Punjab and get shitted on. You guys can't even beat the Punjabis in your own country. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom